• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Nobody really talking about Lost Legacy? Everyone seemed to love Love Letter, and review sites are saying Lost Legacy is even better (Tom Vassel), but I don't see anyone mention it here.

Is there any american shop that carries the original Japanese version? It seems really hard to find, and the Japanese export shops only allow paypal, which I don't have in China.

You've certainly peaked my interest

Neverfade

Nobody really talking about Lost Legacy? Everyone seemed to love Love Letter, and review sites are saying Lost Legacy is even better (Tom Vassel), but I don't see anyone mention it here.

Is there any american shop that carries the original Japanese version? It seems really hard to find, and the Japanese export shops only allow paypal, which I don't have in China.

Nobody's talking about it because aside from a few advance copies, its not out in the US yet.

Karkador

Banned
I have all three boxes of Lost Legacy that came out so far!

I think I remember writing about it a bit in the old thread, but basically, it's a better Love Letter. "Love Letter 2" is about as accurate as you can put it.

The basic formula is still the same - 16 card deck, cards have a number + a power, draw a card, play a card - but now, there is an extra element of deduction.

In Love Letter, if the deck runs out before everyone is knocked out, then the player with the highest # card wins.

In Lost Legacy, everyone is looking for the Lost Legacy card, #5...but you need not have it in your hand to win. If the deck runs out, you go to an "Investigation phase", where the surviving players get one chance to point out where the card is - in a player's hand, in their own hand, or in the Ruins (a special facedown discard pile in this game). The turn order for this phase is by the # of the card in your hand.....#1 goes first, but is also typically the hardest card to hold onto. #5 knows exactly where the Lost Legacy is (their own hand, duh), but has to go after #1-4.

So I find the game more interesting because it has this more complex dimension of deduction and bluffing, to the point where it's even pretty good with 2 players, but it's still the very lightweight, play-anywhere type of game that Love Letter is.

Better yet, the game is not just one deck, but several different decks that have their own feel and crazy mechanics. It brings a very fresh breeze of variety to the Love Letter formula, and you can even construct custom decks by mixing them, which is awesome.

It's just a shame that AEG is releasing them in a weird way, but I think it's worth checking out anyhow.

Slacker

I had been wondering about Friday for a while and finally picked it up on a whim when I saw it on the shelf at the FLGS. What a great game. Feels like a solo Dominion but very challenging with a great risk/reward system. I played it a bunch of times before I won on easy mode. I'm curious how bad I'll get stomped when I start upping the difficulty. :)

Too many people wanting to play at my home game nights, kinda odd problem to have. right now with some friends who just moved back to town, I got like 10 people who want to come over at our weekly board game night, and I got other friends who are asking about me having them over. Besides parking being an issue and me not wanting to turn ppl away this is getting kinda annoying.

Limit on how fun party like games are, got to force the group to start splitting up to play different games at different tables.

One Night Werewolf, how does this differ from regular Ultimate Werewolf?

Ohnonono

I finally got a copy of Phantom Fury but Nuts! publishing. Took at least a year for a copy to come up for trade that worked out. Can't wait to play it but I am going to read the rulebook a few times because I want to get it right.

LOVE modern war games. Love solitaire games so it seems great for me!

Leunam

Too many people wanting to play at my home game nights, kinda odd problem to have.

I had eight other people show up for game night this weekend. Next time we will probably have two games going on at once.

Teaching a new game was still like pulling teeth but it went slightly better because they were more receptive to the theme (Zombicide).

Razorwind

I had been wondering about Friday for a while and finally picked it up on a whim when I saw it on the shelf at the FLGS. What a great game. Feels like a solo Dominion but very challenging with a great risk/reward system. I played it a bunch of times before I won on easy mode. I'm curious how bad I'll get stomped when I start upping the difficulty. :)

Played a few rounds on my friend's copy, and I am hooked! =)
If you wish to sleeve them up, Swan PanAsia has the size for it, but it is still waiting for new stock:
http://swanpanasiasleeves.com/swan-card-sleeves-57x110-mm-betrayal-of-the-house-on-the-hill-160-per-pack.html

I had eight other people show up for game night this weekend. Next time we will probably have two games going on at once.

Teaching a new game was still like pulling teeth but it went slightly better because they were more receptive to the theme (Zombicide).

I dont mind splitting group up to multiple tables at my house, but the issue is I typically handle the set up and of course most depend on me to explain rules and kinda keep the game running. I feel like I'll end up being more of a host rather than a player. Part of the problem is friends getting their girlfriends interested in games too and they wanting to tag along expanding the group. And I dont want to leave anyone out.

Leunam

Can some of the other people help with the rules? Enough of my friends know the rules to our regular games and they can teach newbies without help from me.

Anyone in here enjoy playing Eldritch Horror?

I tried to play with a group of friends on Saturday, but we were pretty confused with how to play. We ended up not finishing the game, but we still had fun. Then, last night we played a 3 player game against Cthulhu. We still didn't have time to finish the game, but we had even more fun this time...probably because we actually understood what was going on.

What are other people's thoughts on it? I know most of the stories don't really go together, but I still really enjoyed it. I think I like Betrayal at House on the Hill a little better though. Our game scenario after the Haunt this weekend was straight out of The Thing. We even had the soundtrack playing in the background for atmosphere.

Tik-Tok

Hmm I crafted a post here earlier but it didn't seem to go through.

Anyhow, this is my first time posting in Board-GAF.

I'm going camping for a week next week, and was going to pick up some new games.
I'm going with one other person for the whole time, possibly two other people for the whole time.

I'm looking to pick up some games that aren't too difficult to learn, play well with two players and possibly scale well to a couple more people. Some thing that doesn't have too many small pieces (a few are ok) or a large board would be great because we're limited to a picnic table sized table.

I already have Android Netrunner and I'll probably bring it, but I've only played it once properly, and I feel like it's the kind of game that both players have to have an understanding of the rules ahead of time, not something someone who kinda knows the rules can teach someone who doesn't know the rules at all.

I also have Last Night on Earth, and might bring that, but it might be too much for the camping environment.

I tend to lean towards thematic games more, because they're easier for me to convince my friends to try and play although I'm no opposed to ones that don't have strong themes as long as they're fun.

My friends have played Magic a little bit and enjoyed it but were never really competitive at it.

Right now I'm thinking of picking up King of Tokyo, and possibly Coupe although I feel like Coupe probably requires more people.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Possibly even some co-op games?

Leunam

What about some dice games? Our group plays Zombie Dice between games or during smoke breaks. It's really simple, can get really intense, and takes up as much room as a soda can in your bag.

Tik-Tok

What about some dice games? Our group plays Zombie Dice between games or during smoke breaks. It's really simple, can get really intense, and takes up as much room as a soda can in your bag.

Yeah I was hoping to find a copy of Marvel Dice Masters; but I'm I'm sure you can all guess how that's going. I'll look in to some more dice games including Zombie Dice.

Star Realms is a great 2 player PVP deck builder that is easy to learn and has been fun to play so far!

Looks interesting, I'll check it out!

Keep the suggestions coming guys, I appreciate it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
One Night Werewolf, how does this differ from regular Ultimate Werewolf?

It's just one night. :D

But really, the only material difference is explained by those four words (and one emoticon). They have roles that make it spicier, but think of it as a very light and quick Ultimate Werewolf. Nice thing is if you have a lot of players you can limit the decision time to 5m or whatever and just rotate out losing players or something. I'm not a big traitor-game guy but I do enjoy ONUW kind of similarly to how I enjoy Love Letter and other really quick but streamlined and fun games.

Star Realms is a great 2 player PVP deck builder that is easy to learn and has been fun to play so far!

How is it 4 player if you pick up extra set?

Can some of the other people help with the rules? Enough of my friends know the rules to our regular games and they can teach newbies without help from me.

Theres a few games friends know enough they can play on their own, but I've been hosting games for so many years and own so many, that they mostly depend on me for their gaming fixes since I typically own the game before any of them do.

Experien

I'm losing ALL interest in Marvel Dice Masters now...almost at a point of even passing on it when/if it comes regularly available.

Slacker

I'm going camping for a week next week, and was going to pick up some new games.
I'm going with one other person for the whole time, possibly two other people for the whole time.

Welcome to the original offline multiplayer thread! I actually just went camping a few weeks ago and we gamed the whole time. It was great. :) Random suggestions:

First off for two players, Hive Pocket is just about perfect for this situation. Simple to learn but with lots of strategic decisions to be made (like a simple version of chess), and it can be played just about anywhere. I think my kids literally played it in the dirt a few times.

With more players there are lots of great card games that are great for camping. Love Letter springs to mind for several reasons. It's easy to teach/learn, quick to play, and is very compact both to bring along and to play on a table. My group also really likes For Sale and No Thanks. The For Sale box is kind of big for what's in there, but you could easily pack the cards and coins into bags and shove them in with another game.

King of Tokyo is indeed good for camping too. The adults in my group (including me) don't really care for it but I usually bring it along for the kids.

Phthisis

I finally got a copy of Phantom Fury but Nuts! publishing. Took at least a year for a copy to come up for trade that worked out. Can't wait to play it but I am going to read the rulebook a few times because I want to get it right.

LOVE modern war games. Love solitaire games so it seems great for me!

I haven't yet played a Nuts! game, but their production quality looks amazing. How is Phantom Fury?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I have all three boxes of Lost Legacy that came out so far!

I think I remember writing about it a bit in the old thread, but basically, it's a better Love Letter. "Love Letter 2" is about as accurate as you can put it.

The basic formula is still the same - 16 card deck, cards have a number + a power, draw a card, play a card - but now, there is an extra element of deduction.

In Love Letter, if the deck runs out before everyone is knocked out, then the player with the highest # card wins.

In Lost Legacy, everyone is looking for the Lost Legacy card, #5...but you need not have it in your hand to win. If the deck runs out, you go to an "Investigation phase", where the surviving players get one chance to point out where the card is - in a player's hand, in their own hand, or in the Ruins (a special facedown discard pile in this game). The turn order for this phase is by the # of the card in your hand.....#1 goes first, but is also typically the hardest card to hold onto. #5 knows exactly where the Lost Legacy is (their own hand, duh), but has to go after #1-4.

So I find the game more interesting because it has this more complex dimension of deduction and bluffing, to the point where it's even pretty good with 2 players, but it's still the very lightweight, play-anywhere type of game that Love Letter is.

Better yet, the game is not just one deck, but several different decks that have their own feel and crazy mechanics. It brings a very fresh breeze of variety to the Love Letter formula, and you can even construct custom decks by mixing them, which is awesome.

It's just a shame that AEG is releasing them in a weird way, but I think it's worth checking out anyhow.

This sounds super-rad. I will have to look into it.

Musan

If anyone is itching for a physical copy of Through the Ages, there is a kickstarter for a 3rd edition reprint. Personally, it is one of my favorite long board games. Still, I dunno if I'll spring for a copy, since the people I play with already have a copy, and I do play it online most of the time, due to its length.

EYEL1NER

I had some pretty fun plays within the past couple hours. It's my night off for the week and I got together with a coworker for our board game night. Our commander is leaving and so we invited him over to play, along with a guy who lives in my dorm.
We played a game of Love Letter that lasted quite a while. A game of Guillotine was played and was a blast. I started off hammering someone with negative points, but they squeaked out a narrow victory over me.
Then we got down on a game of King of Tokyo. I wound up having pretty much the last turn of the game. The only other monster left was in Tokyo and was guaranteed to win on the next turn, either buy VP or killing me, his choice. I had shit int he way of cards that could help, had only 15 VP, and could not deal enough damage. I gamble on the card that grants you 9 VP if you roll one of each face on the dice and it paid off. One 1, 2, 3, claw, energy, and heart later I was victorious. Got three of those on my last re-roll too. It was pretty intense.
To be honest, I thought the X-Wing rules are pretty simple. But I have to say I played with the beginner rules at first and after my 4th game, I used the more advanced rules. I still do not have used droid cards etc., so I do not know if they slow down the overall pace of the game.

But after my few games of X-Wing, I just want to play more with more ships. It's a trap. As a teen, I have played tabletop games like Warhammer 40k, so maybe that's why I am enjoying X-Wing more than you do.

X Wing and Attack Wing games typically have a time component to them as well, such as 50 minutes, so make sure the matches don't last forever. But in this case, I'd also say that with lower attack dice numbers and higher defense dice numbers, a lot of X Wing matches end up being miss dodge miss dodge dodge dead. Attack Wing, on the other hand, with higher attack values compared to defense, is more of a slugging match.

Learning to maneuver is really a matter of practice. I, to this day, will still mess up. But you'll learn tricks like how to maintain a formation after turning.

On the home front, I picked up the newest wave of Attack Wing (Borg Cube, Vulcan D'Kyr, and Bajoran Interceptor). Played a Bajoran Scout Ship + 3x Interceptor build versus a single, decked out Borg Cube. It wasn't pretty. I roughed him up pretty bad but he ended up decimating me in the end.

It's funny because on this week's Dice Tower, Eric had pretty much the same experience and it reminded me of my handful of experiences with the game as well. I can't compare it to minis games because I'm a board gamer, and from the perspective of other 2p board games it does just feel like it takes too long for what it is. I know people go gaga over it, and even I have tons of figures (which are amazing), but I just could never get over the hump to really enjoying it as a game. Next time I might just try some of the scenarios rather than just army vs. army, which I find dull and overlong.
So I played another game of X-Wing tonight and had an absolute blast. The guy I played with used to be into 40K I guess and was familiar with moving minis around a table. I also played a lot more steadily and was not bumping pieces all over the place, which was what frustrated me last time. I felt like the game wasn't getting played right last time but this time I wasn't nudging ships or moving them around accidentally. I also got my moves down well, holding the template firmly in place and guiding my ships exactly where I wanted them. Since this was a casual game, we weren't playing by the normal rules of 'if there is a ship in front of you, hold the template above it and eyeball your movement.' We were taking the 1 straight template that is the exact length of a side of a ship base and using that to keep track of where a ship's exact place was, then moved the ship temporarily and made our moves. I was also better with my piloting and wasn't accidentally flying them into each other the whole game too.
We were doing a couple things that aren't strictly correct when it comes to official play: using range templates to measure stuff (not before the movement phase though), allowing people to take actions they forgot to take after movement (something I am bad about remembering), and so on.
My Dutch Y-Wing, Luke X-Wing, and Red Squadron X-Wing took out my coworker's Darth TIE Advanced and 5 Obsidian TIEs. We played a 100-pt game with squads I created over the weekend using a squad building and had a really great time. The game still lasted really long, 2 1/2 hours. But we had fun the whole time and are both looking forward to playing again next week, maybe one of the missions or something.
I also need more ships now. I want some Interceptors badly. Wish CSI had free APO shipping, because I would have bought two of the Imperial Aces packs at the $15.99 they were selling them for earlier. As it stands, my next acquisitions will probably be a Slave 1 and Mil Falcon.

Anyway, tonight's experience was a lot better than last weeks. Probably because I spent every day since that first play reading everything I could and familiarizing myself as much as possible with the game. I shot emails with the rules, FAQ, and tutorial vids to my coworkers and he was thoroughly solid with the game too by the time we played. Definitely a fun game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally got around to trying Twilight Struggle on Wargameroom with the only guy who I can somewhat regularly play with at our regular game nights. It works, but it's pretty basic. The digital version can't come soon enough.

daevv

Got shipping notices for Smash Up and a old war game called France 1944: The Allied Crusade in Europe today. Smash Up was cheap and I discovered France 1944 while watching a Dice Towers Top 10 solo war games. :)

joelseph

How is it 4 player if you pick up extra set?

Won't know until GenCon. The 2 player game is so fast that I am assuming 4 player is just as enjoyable. I will be playing in the casual Star Realms tournament at GenCon for promos if anyone is interested I will see you there!

Chorazin

Picked up Kaosball at Origins, along with a few expansion teams (got Malltown Zombies for free with the game, and bought the Felicity Hellcats and Shadowvale Ninjas, plus got the Ktulhu promo Ringer for buying two expansion teams). Played one game so far, and since I didn't look online to see the issued a whole new rulebook, we got a few rules wrong but I thought it was awesome. Can't wait to play it again on Wednesday correctly!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This and Legendary have become the easy favorites in my family, so this is going to be great

Haha -- same!

Although I'm not sure how I feel about Legendary Villains. Still haven't had a ton of time to play with the Spidey expansions so don't know if I'm ready for a Big Box

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Hey guys! I'm usually on the video game side of GAF, just noticed there's a board gaming community to be had here as well. Just wanted to say hello.

I saw some discussion earlier on gaming tables, and I wanted to share a pic of a table I just made for gaming.

It cost about $160, and I have NEVER made anything out of wood before, so it was easy. I live in a downtown apartment, so no garage or tools really. Can share plans if you want them.

It is 7 feet long, 4 feet wide, and will soon have a glass top to hide ongoing games while eating, or to keep them away from the cat overnight.

IMG_0198.JPG

New Purchases

West End Adventures - Basically a 6-chapter expansion of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective game.

Gumshoe - The holy grail and heavy weight of detective games. Created by the same minds behind Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. It's a lot more comprehensive, more involved, and less segmented than SHCD. Paid $90 for it, but I don't regret it one bit because it's something I'm going to keep forever.

Hey guys! I'm usually on the video game side of GAF, just noticed there's a board gaming community to be had here as well. Just wanted to say hello.

I saw some discussion earlier on gaming tables, and I wanted to share a pic of a table I just made for gaming.

It cost about $160, and I have NEVER made anything out of wood before, so it was easy. I live in a downtown apartment, so no garage or tools really. Can share plans if you want them.

It is 7 feet long, 4 feet wide, and will soon have a glass top to hide ongoing games while eating, or to keep them away from the cat overnight.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o0V9zGSOTLE/U54ioeEKu_I/AAAAAAAARsM/GTJDkDRLk3w/w903-h677-no/IMG_0198.JPG[MG][/QUOTE]

That looks incredible!

Karkador

Banned

IMG_0198.JPG

So when are you inviting us over?!

Neverfade

OMG OMG

New Blood Bowl expansion!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4875

Man I love this game. It's pretty much the perfect mediumweight game to me. (Only thing is I'd recommend it with 2 or 3 instead of 4 because I think the 4 can run a touch long if people start to get a lot of abilities.)

I posted this months ago (and we all briefly touched upon it) in the old thread, how did you forget? :p

Edit: The announcement I mean, not that specific article.

Shouldn't be too far away now, been on the boat for a short while!

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
You know GenCon is Indy, right? You might have like 10 people knock on your door now.

Yes, I go every year. Maybe we can have a GAF meetup at my place before GenCon or something. I live downtown about 30 blocks from the convention center, which is about a 7-10 minute drive.

tm24

IMG_0198.JPG

You are amazing and holy shit i need it

Yes, I go every year. Maybe we can have a GAF meetup at my place before GenCon or something. I live downtown about 30 blocks from the convention center, which is about a 7-10 minute drive.

I wish I could make it this year, but I have my big exams the last week of August so I don't have four days to blow at a gaming convention. I think we've tried meet ups at GenCon before.

Icefire1424

Sexytable.jpg

That...is a thing of beauty. Well done, and I'm beyond jealous. Looking for a table just like that, but unlike you, I have zero carpentry (or basic assembly) skills whatsoever.

Cheers!

Top Bottom