• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PM May urges firms to end short-term thinking, show global leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Multinational businesses must avoid short-term thinking and show leadership to help restore faith in globalization among citizens who feel left behind by the pace of economic change, British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Thursday.

May said businesses must put aside short-term considerations and invest in people and communities for the long term.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-may-businesses-idUSKBN15316P

giphy.gif

LewieP

End short term thinking.

She decided to destroy the British Economy for a chance at one term of being Prime Minister.

Losing access to the single market is not something any multi-national company wants...so I don't understand why this is coming as some sort of surprise to May and the rest of the leavers.

pulsemyne

Not too often I say this but Corbyn was right when he called her the Irony lady. This from the most short term government ever.

This situation is reaching tragicomedic levels. Seriously, Theresa May is complaining about short-term thinking... you can't make this shit up, it's unbelievable...

danowat

Banned
So basically.....

"Look people, I know we're fucked, but we won't be fucked for ever, just don't rock the boat too much before my time in power is up, and I'll be golden, then some other fucker can deal with this shit"

Ahh, irony. The irony being that she wants even more globalization and mass deregulation of business. Plus threatening to become a tax haven.

El Topo

Keep in mind that Merkel said somewhat similarly general/amusing things (regarding companies and EU) maybe a week ago as well.

tuxfool

Banned
Keep in mind that Merkel said somewhat similarly general/amusing things (regarding companies and EU) maybe a week ago as well.

There is nothing inherently wrong with what she is saying though. However, the funny part is that what she says is in stark contrast with everything she is doing.

Lkr

are there any massive anti leave demonstrations going on? there's supposed to be millions protesting in Washington this weekend for the inauguration.

PJV3

The tories can do and say anything they want, even when everyone knows it's the opposite of reality.

Rodelero

On the one hand, it is blindingly obvious to me, and most people I talk to, and most people here, that all of her positive talk, for example about businesses investing in people and communities, is just that: talk. On the other hand, across the country, her message seems to be resonating very well. Despite not actually doing anything to improve the state of this country one jot, her party is clearly top of every poll.

Since, and even after the referendum, the centre of this country was should we Remain or should we Leave. Now the centre of the debate is whether we should disassociate ourselves with every part of the European Union and EU, or still have some relationship with it.

It is quite unbelievable how poorly the left has handled the last six months.

Her hypocrisy is something the Opposition need to be taking her to task on, but it can't, because globalisation is one of the (seemly many) issues the PLP and the party leadership have opposing views on.

Makes you wonder whether the electorate, or any electorate really, has become (or always was?) just too fucking stupid to call politicians on this kind of bullshit.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nothing about the world seems real to me anymore. We are living in a cartoon.

Auctopus

End-short term thinking so newspapers and the government can tell remoaners that we are being impatient when things get bad and to make sure Ms.May is out of office when it goes truly tits up.

She's not wrong. Profit motive has been great for revolutionary explosive growth, but it's incentivized carelessly exploiting finite resources with no consideration for real-world consequences (running out of those resources, pollution). It's min/maxing, where they're maximizing profits and minimizing our increasingly limited supply of resources and natural resilience of the planet-wide ecosystem.

Beefy

She's not wrong. Profit motive has great for revolutionary for explosive growth, but it does so by maximizing the exploitation of finite resources with no consideration of real-world consequence (finite natural resources, pollution). It's min/maxing, where they're maximizing profits and minimizing our increasingly limited supply of resources and natural resilience of the planet-wide ecosystem.

She isn't wrong, but then look at what she is doing...

PJV3

Her hypocrisy is something the Opposition need to be taking her to task on, but it can't, because globalisation is one of the (seemly many) issues the PLP and the party leadership have opposing views on.

Even if we had a properly functioning opposition it wouldn't get anywhere, the country is in that mode it goes into at the beginning of the world cup.

The bunting will start coming out soon.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"Restore faith in globalization".

Yes, that's exactly the vibe I get from you when you want to get out of the EU. May seems like a good, honest politician.

jelly

Just wait for all this one sided trade deals and race to the bottom. Super globalisation without the EU to help. Good idea.

danowat

Banned
It's funny because this unlikely and ideal, Global Britain, is not what Brexiters even want.

I'm not sure that's quite accurate, is it?.

Didn't they still want all the benefits (sic) that came with a global Britain, but none of the (perceived) negatives?

I'm not sure that's quite accurate, is it?.

Didn't they still want all the benefits (sic) that came with a global Britain, but none of the (perceived) negatives?

Pretty much. Stop the Muslims/EU migrants from coming in, stop Brussels from dictating our laws (lol) while forging ahead to become the superpower we once were.

Strengthening of the commonwealth and amazing deals with countries the EU wouldn't let us deal with.

It's not a surprise. It's shifting the blame.

To who? The multinational company that is doing whats best for itself and investors?

I mean sure multinational companies will undertake charitable actions from time to time but asking them to sit still and lose money because of politics is a huge stretch.

Now, if it were british companies (NOT multinationals) then sure I can see Mays request as making sense.

RenditMan

Banned
The idea with the EU project is quite long term
Federalising Europe will take some time

I reckon it's a hundred year plan to completely federalise.

It'll take that long for free movement to jumble the population up enough and those with strong national identity to die off so it will be voted in.

RulkezX

On the one hand, it is blindingly obvious to me, and most people I talk to, and most people here, that all of her positive talk, for example about businesses investing in people and communities, is just that: talk. On the other hand, across the country, her message seems to be resonating very well. Despite not actually doing anything to improve the state of this country one jot, her party is clearly top of every poll.

Since, and even after the referendum, the centre of this country was should we Remain or should we Leave. Now the centre of the debate is whether we should disassociate ourselves with every part of the European Union and EU, or still have some relationship with it.

It is quite unbelievable how poorly the left has handled the last six months.

Not sure you can blame the left when even Corbyn and his friends couldn't even fully committ to remaining.

EGM1966

Please don't leave?

Thus far it seems the Government's plan is to talk like they're in a position of power while implicitly begging not to get hammered by businesses, other countries and the population of the UK that didn't actually want to leave.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I don't know how much more of this I can deal with.

Honestly its a lost generation. All that can be done is to raise enough of the next to be far more logical, far less trusting of the rich and powerful, and make them more motivated to change things. But change in a meaningful way and not a slacktivist shithead Corbyn way. Also in a smarter more manipulative way. The blunt instrument the left have been using the last decade to bludgeon all who disagree must be stowed away.

The problem is I've certainly felt my own morality slip to "well fuck this, I'm out for me and my own" mode far more. Doing tax returns right now and wondering "why tho?".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom