• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PM May urges firms to end short-term thinking, show global leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Please don't leave?

Thus far it seems the Government's plan is to talk like they're in a position of power while implicitly begging not to get hammered by businesses, other countries and the population of the UK that didn't actually want to leave.

It's almost like they should say, this is stupid, we aren't going through with it, we will try to change the EU for the better from within and btw, you're life is shit because of the UK Government policies over the years and here is what we will do to fix that instead of blaming others.

Zaph

help restore faith in globalization among citizens who feel left behind by the pace of economic change
So we pander to them and pretend the pace can be slowed/reversed without severe harm?

We have a whole bunch of people with outdated and unnecessary skill sets, and nobody is brave enough to say something, so at the very least their children won't grow up thinking they can do what their dad/mum does.

Honestly its a lost generation. All that can be done is to raise enough of the next to be far more logical, far less trusting of the rich and powerful, and make them more motivated to change things. But change in a meaningful way and not a slacktivist shithead Corbyn way. Also in a smarter more manipulative way. The blunt instrument the left have been using the last decade to bludgeon all who disagree must be stowed away.

The problem is I've certainly felt my own morality slip to "well fuck this, I'm out for me and my own" mode far more. Doing tax returns right now and wondering "why tho?".

Yup. I think a couple decades from now we're going to have a new generation who are very cynical, bitter, and with a fuck-you-got-mine unsympathetic libertarian attitude. It will be sad but understandable as they've been burdened with a life and debt that was nothing to do with them.

MrChom

End short term thinking.

She decided to destroy the British Economy for a chance at one term of being Prime Minister.

Sadly she'll probably get multiple.

Labour's in disarray, and its support is falling as it ditches principles voters have, in modern times, seen as core principles. The Lib Dems lack the strong leadership to capitalise, and UKIP are in a similar boat (Paul Nuttal may be a fixture on Question Time but he's a nobody).

With no strong opposition the Tories are basically in a position to really do....well....whatever.

Tugatrix

They wanted the globe without the immigrants.

Also, more cause to despair:

C2hfSj8XcAAHdYG.jpg

how trustworthy are these things nowadays?

May is like a walking contradiction, globalization, but not with our neighbors those are a rambunctious sort

Easy_D

never left the stone age
how trustworthy are these things nowadays?

May is like a walking contradiction, globalization, but not with our neighbors those are a rambunctious sort

They just want everyone to enrich the British economy without having to accept immigrants. That's all it boils down to.

May, you are bullshitting. Your party had no credible long term vision for business and investment post-Brexit...Plus the economic model you espouse is precisely centred around short term profit. No luck getting your empty rhetoric to stick.

Burai

shitonmychest57
We're truly going to return to the glory days of Empire, but the working class right forgot that they are the ones that lived in the poor houses, not the stately homes.

Jobs for everyone at Foxconn UK, building iPhones for Germans for pennies.

mclem

C2hfSj8XcAAHdYG.jpg

I wonder if there actually *was* a general election coming up, how the LD's would do on an outright unapologetic "Want to remain? Vote for us and we'll do whatever the hell we can towards that" campaign. If they were to paint themselves as the one clear, explicit alternative, then split voting between the other options might give them avenues to get a few more seats than normal.

(Admittedly, "normal" doesn't count the pittance they ended up with last time!)

Tosyn_88

It's strange how all we have heard so far is damage control instead of bold plans and vision of what the government wants to do with its new found freedom. Investors and people want to hear aggressive pursuit of growing industries, not some moral appeal to companies who weren't in favour of an exit

tuxfool

Banned
We're truly going to return to the glory days of Empire, but the working class right forgot that they are the ones that lived in the poor houses, not the stately homes.

Jobs for everyone at Foxconn UK, building iPhones for Germans for pennies.

Eh, not even that. Foxconn wants robots to build all their devices.

El Topo

There is nothing inherently wrong with what she is saying though. However, the funny part is that what she says is in stark contrast with everything she is doing.

Of course. On the other hand, what else do people expect her to say? She kind of has to serve both sides, the one that won the election and the one that wanted to remain.
I mean, it's Davos. It's typical to spout the whole "Globalization is great" stuff when you're there.

To who? The multinational company that is doing whats best for itself and investors?

To the conservatives, it doesn't matter much who they shift the blame to, just not themselves.

At some point down the line they're going to accuse the multinational companies of being anti-british for taking jobs and business out of the country.

avaya

One of the funniest arguments is that we will take back control of immigration and stop the "unwarranted" rules on immigrants from non-EU states.

I mean anyone really buying the we will swap European's for, what, more people from the sub-continent? China? You're having a laugh.

It's one of the most transparently racist lines spouted in this whole thing.

This country is full of so many vile people it is disgusting.

Long term thinking is to get off the sinking ship before it actually sinks. "It's just a little water! Grab a bucket instead of abandoning it!"

And where she'd have a point if the water was ankle deep and there's only a trickle, she's really wading out in waist deep water and the only reason it isn't deeper is because the hull hasn't quite rent itself open to allow still more through. The pressure is equalized, but she wants to punch another hole in it to sink it for good.

This is why firms are leaving.

Maledict

Of course. On the other hand, what else do people expect her to say? She kind of has to serve both sides, the one that won the election and the one that wanted to remain.
I mean, it's Davos. It's typical to spout the whole "Globalization is great" stuff when you're there.

She isn't serving both sides at all though. She is going for the hardest of brexits, an option that by no means all brexit people wanted. The 48% that voted to remain have been completely ignored by her since she took over - she and her party are acting as if it were a 100% margin of victory for leave.

avaya

She isn't serving both sides at all though. She is going for the hardest of brexits, an option that by no means all brexit people wanted. The 48% that voted to remain have been completely ignored by her since she took over - she and her party are acting as if it were a 100% margin of victory for leave.

Exactly, she is executing a plan that is transparently to the benefit of the Conservative party's political aspirations rather than those of the country.

She is able to get away with it due to non-existent opposition.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

C2hfSj8XcAAHdYG.jpg

That's a massive amount rounding going on there there's a -6% drop across all parties but only an increase of 3% net. Unless they didn't bother to show parties that actually had a roughly 1% share, these numbers need a greater precision to show the whol picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom