• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

uh yeah dead pixels on the gamepad scares the shit out of me especially considering that you wouldn't just be able to return your launch day console and swap it out for another one.

Seik

Banned
Dead pixels? Nooooooooooooo.

Ah please, not this kind of shit. I don't want dead pixels, that's so fucking lame.

I see Nintendo products as quality products, hope I'll be lucky because I don't want to RMA my Gamepad at launch. :(

bumpkin

Mine just arrived. Yes, I have dishes to do.

fd81a2e82a1911e2ac3022000a1fb72c_7.jpg
I hate you so hard right now.

Awesome cat though!

Ah please, not this kind of shit. I don't want dead pixels, that's so fucking lame.

I see Nintendo products as quality products, hope I'll be lucky because I don't want to RMA my Gamepad at launch. :(

Pretty much everything with a screen is susceptible to dead pixels. Just because dead pixels are mentioned doesn't every single gamepad wil have them.

steveovig

That really sucks. One of the things I've been most excited about Wii U was getting some Gamecube and Wii classics rereleased in HD, and some kind of achievement system along with those games would have made for an excellent extra reason to replay them all.

I know people like to jump all over Nintendo for their rereleases, but I really want to play some of those sub-HD games from over the last decade in HD. They should have launched with something like a $20 Windwaker HD port or something.

Please tell me that the damn games like Mario have them in game. I hate Nintendo more and more.

guek

Banned
iwvh8.gif

What up, everybody. So 9 days, eh? Hard to believe we're so close.

Are we going to get an OT for the launch or is that not allowed?

btw, the game case color seems to have turned out way better than expected! I was worried it was going to be bright blue like in the promo images.

Lucent

So I'm wondering if they'll have some screen protectors and maybe something to put over the Gamepad. Would be nice to at least put a strap on there so if anybody is playing with it they don't just drop it. Better not. BETTER NOT! =x

zychi

Banned
is there a preview of the internet browser for the pad? all i can find is the japanese nintendo direct video that i have no idea whats going on in it.

So I'm wondering if they'll have some screen protectors and maybe something to put over the Gamepad. Would be nice to at least put a strap on there so if anybody is playing with it they don't just drop it. Better not. BETTER NOT! =x

There are some 3rd party screen protectors that will be out at launch as well as some silicon covers for the Gamepad itself. Now I don't think there's a spot to attach a strap to the Gamepad.

Lucent

There are some 3rd party screen protectors that will be out at launch as well as some silicon covers for the Gamepad itself. Now I don't think there's a spot to attach a strap to the Gamepad.

Would be kind of weird. I mean, if a Wii Remote falls on the ground it's not that big of a deal, but the gamepad is not easily replaceable. I guess whoever is playing with it will just have to be sitting down.

There's an Activity Log with the Wii U right? Can anyone tell me if the Wii games go on the Activity Log similar to how the regular DS games go on the 3DS activity log?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
If you plug headphones in the gamepad while playing a game that requires both the tv and gamepad screen does it shut off the tv speakers and stream all audio to the headphones? This would be a great feature for late night playing.

zroid

Banned
If you plug headphones in the gamepad while playing a game that requires both the tv and gamepad screen does it shut off the tv speakers and stream all audio to the headphones? This would be a great feature for late night playing.

This just made me think of how asymmetric audio could be used in some games. That might lead to some really interesting new types of multiplayer.

I don't... what? How could that be 35% of your incentive?

3DS Activity Log is a powerful drug, my friend

I don't... what? How could that be 35% of your incentive?

Games using modern features of a console gives me more incentive to play the backwards compatible games. If they aren't able to use the newer console's features, they make me feel like I'm playing in the dark abyss of lonely video gaming.

And I love stat tracking.

Anyone said yet if Nintendo Land or NSMB U support the pro controller for MP ?, really dont want to buy / go back to those motes...

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
This just made me think of how asymmetric audio could be used in some games. That might lead to some really interesting new types of multiplayer.

Not sure what new types of multiplayer could be made, what are your ideas? Definitely though having separate audio for one or a few other players could enhance the experience. I'm sure in a game like nintendoland the gamepad player get's his/her own personalized audio.

I just want to know if playing with headphones is possible. C'mon press people, don't leave me hanging!

zroid

Banned
Not sure what new types of multiplayer could be made, what are your ideas?

Well the things that popped into my head were maybe a certain type of rhythm or music game where each player hears completely different audio tracks and have to work together in some fashion, or a game where only the player using the GamePad can hear anything and has to use that to his advantage to chase down the other player.

Simple concepts really, but in creative hands they could lead to something unique.

AzaK

Invisible Walls - Full Episode
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/grjtx1/invisible-walls-episode-232--the-wii-u-hotline

again they talk about how Nintendo limits the press to 30 second clips SMH. This is very stupid
every video based website has to wait until the 18th at this point before we see anything

what is the point of that?

No point, other than paranoia on Nintendo's part. It's just part of their archaic, antiquated attitude.

Maybe they want to just keep giving the finger to the press by showing more in the Nintendo Directs before the press are allowed to show it. Or maybe it's just part of how they work now. Release a new console but not hype it much.

ASIS

No point, other than paranoia on Nintendo's part. It's just part of their archaic, antiquated attitude.

Maybe they want to just keep giving the finger to the press by showing more in the Nintendo Directs before the press are allowed to show it. Or maybe it's just part of how they work now. Release a new console but not hype it much.
I honestly believe that Nintendo isn't hyping this machine on purpose. I wanna know why though.

Invisible Walls - Full Episode
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/grjtx1/invisible-walls-episode-232--the-wii-u-hotline

again they talk about how Nintendo limits the press to 30 second clips SMH. This is very stupid
every video based website has to wait until the 18th at this point before we see anything

what is the point of that?

Wow, in the video they said the shoulder buttons of the Wii U pad are digital, not analog? How are you supposed to play racing games etc then??

wsippel

Banned
Gemüsepizza;44185123 said:
Wow, in the video they said the shoulder buttons of the Wii U pad are digital, not analog? How are you supposed to play racing games etc then??
Project CARS uses the gyro to steer and the analog sticks to accelerate and brake if I remember correctly.

there is no reason for it not even to piss off the press the hype is low as it can get for this launch

Soft Launch it is... they should allow Walmart and Targets of the world to break street dates on the 13th with the amount of software coming on that day.

Globox_82

Banned

crazy. Shane is Nintendo fanboy, but he didn't sound very impressed.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Launch OT is fine.

D-e-f-

Banned

1) where have you been all year?
2) remember how you played racing games before there were analog triggers and it was all fine?

Anyone said yet if Nintendo Land or NSMB U support the pro controller for MP ?, really dont want to buy / go back to those motes...

No they don't.

Da fuq is this shit?

There goes like 35% of my incentive to play regular Wii games.

Seriously, how is a stats screen (that you could easily manage yourself either with pen and paper or by using a site built around the whole concept like http://howlongtobeat.com influencing your decision to play Wii games? You either want to play those games or you don't.

is there a preview of the internet browser for the pad? all i can find is the japanese nintendo direct video that i have no idea whats going on in it.

There's no preview because all the online features are not accessible to the press units yet. There will be an update next week that enables all that internet stuff (Miiverse, eShop, Browser, etc). If you buy a Wii U on launch, you will have to connect to the internet and download that update as well (not a big deal since you'd have to go online to use all that stuff anyway).

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/11/09/wii-u-system-services-summary/ <-- you should read this, though maybe.

there's also an Iwata Asks about the Browser (and two dedicated to Miiverse) http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I was shocked (as shocked as one can be about a video game console) that it didn't include analog shoulder buttons.

What a bummer.

Also in the same episode when Shane had to summarize in one word his experience with the Wii U he used "confused" as the word.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Only effects racers anyway, won't serious racer fans use a wheel anyway?
I know people that play a lot of racing games that don't have a wheel. Their time in racing games dwarfs mine by an order of magnitude. I have a wheel and they don't, as they're not willing to buy it.

Rockstar, EA Sports and MGS games also used analog shoulder buttons in the past. But it's true that it's mostly associated with racing games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Only effects racers anyway, won't serious racer fans use a wheel anyway?
I've always bought wheels for my racers, GT5 with a wheel was 5X better. But there's this crazy hope to see Wave Race on Wii U, which obviously couldn't be played with a wheel, and analog triggers could be missed in this game.

I did as well. Then 3DS and 3DSXL released. Scratches on both top screens :(

King_Moc

Banned
remember how you played racing games before there were analog triggers and it was all fine?

Remember when we all used to play nothing but Pong and Space Invaders, and it was all fine?

No analogue triggers is a glaring omission. Anyone who's ever driven a car knows that you aren't either not accelerating, or accelerating as much as possible in all instances. There are inbetweens. It's like they were only thinking of Mario Kart.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I expect dead pixels because I always fucking luck out when it come to LCDs. It's the risk everybody is taking buying an LCD device though. Some are going to have dead pixels. Hope it's not you.

I just hope the build quality is much better than the 3DS.

Top Bottom