• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Tactica | Review Thread

FyXgKfMXgAQgp80

Game Information

Game Title: Persona 5 Tactica

Platforms:
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 17, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 17, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Nov 17, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X|S (Nov 17, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (Nov 17, 2023)
  • PC (Nov 17, 2023)
Trailer:
Developers: P-Studio

Publisher: Atlus

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 79 average - 73 recommended

rhW1Xvv.png

Metacritic - 78 average based on 21 critic reviews

ijf1Ua3.png

Written Reviews

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 90 / 100
If you like Persona 5 and all its spinoffs that have come out over the years, it is clear that Tactica should not be missing from your collection, especially if you are an enthusiast of strategy games.

But Why Tho? - Kyle Foley - 8.5 / 10
Persona 5 Tactica is a great example of how to do a spin-off game right by balancing familiar components with a new approach. There is plenty to enjoy for new and old fans alike and everything is tied together in a package that is equal parts approachable and fulfilling.

COGconnected - Nicola Kapron - 75 / 100
Quote not yet available

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 8 / 10
Persona 5 Tactica is another successful voyage for the Phantom Thieves. Little is better than the warm feeling inside of revisiting this cast of characters I've come to know so fondly and intimately in a new, but familiar style. There are small ways Atlus could've made this a more blown-out affair, but it's never too much of a bother when the game is this solid and satisfying to play.

Final Weapon - Raul Ochoa - 4 / 5
Persona 5 Tactica is a really fun RPG that brings interesting new characters, addicting gameplay, and a story that delivers lighthearted and dark themes alike. Although the game doesn't exactly move the Persona series forward in a substantial way, Persona 5 Tactica brings an intriguing twist to the gameplay systems that fans come to know and love in a well-rounded RPG that respects the player's time.

Gamer Guides - Chris Moyse - 6.5 / 10
While die-hard Phantom Thieves will enjoy stepping into the Metaverse once again - as slick, stylish, and cool as it ever was - Persona 5 Tactica lacks variety, momentum, and challenge. Its key issue lies in a fatal lack of mechanical balance, resulting in an endearing but unsatisfying strategy experience.

GamingTrend - Dalton McClain - 90 / 100
In summary, Persona 5 Tactica offers a great story with engaging factors, vibrant colors, dynamic art styles, new characters, and music. It masters a compelling story while also presenting older and nostalgic characteristics of Persona 5. With a fresh new coat of paint, Persona 5 Tactica is worth it to suit up as a Phantom Thief and liberate the worlds of the Metaverse.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 9 / 10
Persona 5 Tactica is a tactics game unlike any other, with really clever combat that requires a lot of thought and that Persona style we all love.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 77 / 100
It won't satisfy everyone, but this twist on the Persona formula offers satisfactory moments and a gameplay that becomes more and more attractive with every mision.

IGN Italy - Alessandro Digioia - Italian - 7 / 10
Persona 5 Tactica is the first game in the Persona 5 sub-series to make me wonder if we really needed to see the Phantom Thieves again. It's never bad, but it does feel pointless most of the times. The new story is just "more of the same" without any real twists, and the combat system, although pretty fun, lacks depth and isn't particularly challenging. Still, it menages to entertain for most of it's 30 hours duration.

IGN Spain - Esteban Canle - Spanish - 8 / 10
Persona 5 Tactica brings the Phantom Thieves back together for fans to enjoy in a strategy and role-playing game full of possibilities. A new opportunity to live adventures with Joker and his friends, this time leading a new revolution. On a negative note, it may fall short for those with a lot of experience in this type of games.

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 9 / 10
Persona 5 Tactica is a thrillingly varied tactical RPG that fans of the Phantom Thieves and the genre should take note of. It's a little on the easy side, but the varied gameplay, excellent soundtrack, striking visuals, and lovable characters all make for a very easy recommendation here.

PSX Brasil - Thiago de Alencar Moura - Portuguese - 85 / 100
If you're a fan of the series, this is yet another spin-off that will please you quite a bit and introduce you to an addictive new genre.

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 7.5 / 10
It certainly doesn't reinvent the wheel, but offers a more than competent tactics experience within a framework that's sure to please any Persona fan.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10
Joker and co have enjoyed a great run, but Persona 5 fatigue is well and truly beginning to set in.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Siobhán Casey - Unscored
A turn-based strategy 'em up with the Persona 5 gang that might be a bit too simplistic for some, and anime for others, but still makes for a nice excuse to hang with pals.

Siliconera - Jenni Lada - 8 / 10
Persona 5 Tactica shows the series can adapt well to strategy genre, as the game is largely entertaining and includes familiar concepts well.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 8.5 / 10
The narrative remains compelling, the characters charming, the presentation slick and the solid tactical rounds the package well, making the game an engaging experience from beginning to end. The game's low challenge level, however, and the established status of the Phantom Thieves limits its appeal to die-hard fans of the series.

WellPlayed - Nathan Hennessy - 6 / 10
Persona 5's toe-tapping tunes and infectious energy are present, but Tactica forgets to bring fresh ideas or variety.

WhatIfGaming - Hristijan Pavlovski - 9 / 10
Persona 5 Tactica is a breath of fresh air for the turn-based tactics genre that feels familiar, yet challenging, and has enough depth to easily stand toe-to-toe with its peers. Despite the genre shift, it retains all the hallmarks of a Persona title and blends those aspects with dazzling polish. It's fun, challenging, a blast to play, and a must-have for any Persona fan, serving as a good entry point for strategy lovers looking to get into Persona.

Video Reviews

Last edited:
No, I LOVED Persona 5 but I'm ready to move on from that game, so I'm not playing any Persona 5 spin-offs.

Also we are getting Unicorn Overlord next year which to me much more interesting Tactics games.
Yes, didn't play any spinoffs either. Loved Persona 5 back in 2017, my personal top 5, but they have been milking the hell of the game way too much. Waiting for the new game from studio zero.

Impotaku

Does anyone know if western version has dual audio? as there's no fucking way in hell i'm listening to yank voices in any persona 5 spinoff. Another not bothered by review scores non of the spinoffs will ever reach the greatness of the main game, The only reason i play the spinoffs is so i can spend more time with all the characters.

Does anyone know if western version has dual audio? as there's no fucking way in hell i'm listening to yank voices in any persona 5 spinoff. Another not bothered by review scores non of the spinoffs will ever reach the greatness of the main game, The only reason i play the spinoffs is so i can spend more time with all the characters.
The P5T Steam version lists both EN and JP as full audio under languages. I presume it's the same for the console versions as well.

CNMlFaX.png

Hell yeah! I'm beyond hyped for Metaphor: ReFantazio, I love Hashino's new games like Catherine.
Catherine was so refreshing. When I first played it in 2010 I was absolutely mesmerized by Catherine and went with her for the ending.
But when I played it again with the full body version maybe I got way more mature and found Katherine is absolutely the way to go, haha.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Catherine was so refreshing. When I first played it in 2010 I was absolutely mesmerized by Catherine and went with her for the ending.
But when I played it again with the full body version maybe I got way more mature and found Katherine is absolutely the way to go, haha.
giphy.gif

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
117 hrs i did with Persona 5, then i did close to 60 with Person 5 Strikers. I was luke warm on this one and i'm gonna pass i think. As much as i love the Phantom Thieves and the P5 series, i think i'm ready for Persona 6.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Am I seriously supposed to believe a tactical game from Atlus isn't challenging? I was fully expecting to try it on Game Pass and ragequit after failing the tutorial again and again on Normal difficulty.

EDMIX

No, I LOVED Persona 5 but I'm ready to move on from that game, so I'm not playing any Persona 5 spin-offs.

Also we are getting Unicorn Overlord next year which to me much more interesting Tactics games.

Oh wow, I'm surprised. I know you like those tactics type games.

I don't got the time to play this, but I would lol

semi OT, but I want them to port those Persona Q games over, shit I want the Metal Gear ACID games from PSP ported lol

Metnut

Not dying to get back into Persona 5 but am going to be away for a week and would like to check out something new on the Switch. Kind of torn between this and Octopath 2. Hated the original Octopath but heard the sequel fixed a lot of issues.

cireza

Reviewed it on Xbox for French website Sega-Mag. Gave it 7/10.

Second half of the game was a let down. Less battles, less variety in the environments, it became repetitive. And all of this + day-one DLC stuff that looks pretty nice make it even worse.
In normal the game is super easy, but there are higher difficulty settings.

Don't buy this at full price.

Last edited:
Reviewed it on Xbox for French website Sega-Mag. Gave it 7/10.

Second half of the game was a let down. Less battles, less variety in the environments, it became repetitive. And all of this + day-one DLC stuff that looks pretty nice make it even worse.
In normal the game is super easy, but there are higher difficulty settings.

Don't buy this at full price.
Thanks for the review! I've seen it already discounted to around €45 where I'm from at several retailers. Will probably wait for a steeper discount based on the impressions you've shared here.

SCB3

Not dying to jump back into Persona yet as I'm getting my JP fix from Yakuza and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth soon enough, but this does look pretty decent, still need to play Strikers yet

marjo

I'm interested in this, but haven't played other Persona games. Would I be able to follow the story, or would that be a problem?

Top Bottom