• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

They gave up trying to show that, it was causing too many headaches and fucking with pacing.

I totally understand and agree with their approach.

but Gendry spent 4 seasons paddling
giphy.gif

Varys went from Mereen to Dorne and back to Mereen to pick up Dany in the same time, so yeah...

Varys went from Dorne to Mereen in about 12 minutes. Tripped me up watching the last season finale right before the new episode aired because I had forgotten about the weird continuity that implies. There's Varys, chilling with the sand snakes, and then, whoosh, he's out sailing with Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, The First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khalisee of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons. Apparently he has a speedboat stashed away somewhere with all the trips back and forth he's taking.

Varys went from Dorne to Mereen in about 12 minutes. Tripped me up watching the last season finale right before the new episode aired because I had forgotten about the weird continuity that implies. There's Varys, chilling with the sand snakes, and then, whoosh, he's out sailing with Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, The First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khalisee of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons. Apparently he has a speedboat stashed away somewhere with all the trips back and forth he's taking.
If you believe a popular nonsense theory

he's a merman

Sephzilla

There's a part of me that hopes Gendry doesn't get pulled in out of nowhere again. I kind of like the idea that someone actually managed to get out of the shitstorm that is Westeros

wiibomb

I'm confused as why King's Landing still shows the Baratheon banner, are they somehow still counting Gendry???

this is amazing, thanks

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Technically he's there to become the new maestor of castle black.
He said that he's there to find information about The White Wakers, it's not like he has years to train to one day be allowed to get the restricted book. He needs to get the info as soon as possible I mean, he can stay there once he finds what he needs and actually become a maestro like he wants but the WW are the priority. He is even risking getting throw out just for the info.

Keeping him locked up may be to protect other people from him too...

1. It's highly contagious.

2. It eventually turns you into one of the stone people and makes you go mad, and thus, a higher chance of spreading the disease.

If Sam Tarly takes an interest in him, he'll probably find a cure. He seems to actually give a shit about people and is pretty efficient on doing his research.

If it's highly contagious, shouldn't he be in a cell where he can't reach out and grab the trolley boy on a whim? "Why do all our staff keep coming down with greyscale?"

He said that he's there to find information about The White Wakers, it's not like he has years to train to one day be allowed to get the restricted book. He needs to get the info as soon as possible I mean, he can stay there once he finds what he needs and actually become a maestro like he wants but the WW are the priority. He is even risking getting throw out just for the info.

Sam's doing what it takes. He's risking his dream of becoming a Maester for the good of Westeros. I can't wait to see what things do and don't go well for him there, and of course how Jorah factors in.

groansey

Can we get a petition going to intimidate the producers into removing Ed Sheeran's line from the home release and all future syndication?

Whoever thought "It's a new one!" was ok can die in a fire.

FiggyCal

Banned
I assume that since Cersei is Robert Baratheon's widow, the crown is still technically under the Baratheon banner?

That makes sense. But in the show, they replaced some of the decorations to reflect Lannister leadership. The title sequence doesn't really matter. I mean how often do shows change their opening sequence outside of animes?

That makes sense. But in the show, they replaced some of the decorations to reflect Lannister leadership. The title sequence doesn't really matter. I mean how often do shows change their opening sequence outside of animes?

This show does, almost every episode.

The opening even had winterfell in ruins and then with Bolton insignia then back to stark all last season.

Sande

I don't remember exactly how things went in earlier seasons, but it feels odd that Dragonstone is completely abandoned.

Maybe they heard Daenerys is coming and left I guess. Or something.

Vashetti

Banned

Winterfell was shown to be smouldering in the intro over Season 3, and a Bolton sigil replaced the Stark one when they moved in.

A Stark sigil replaced the Bolton one the immediate episode after the Battle of the Bastards.

Also you should look up Fringe, that had so many intros that changed by the season, some by the episode.

Brashnir

I don't remember exactly how things went in earlier seasons, but it feels odd that Dragonstone is completely abandoned.

Stannis left it when he went north.

It's on a tiny little island in the middle of nowhere. People got better shit to do.

DBT85

Enjoyed that first Ep. Arya doing her bit was great. Lady Mormont taking names too is always fun.

The Hound always gets my favorite lines though, perfect delivery.

So much going on!

Volimar

But you don't really want it to be faithful to time. The whole Dany escapade takes place largely because she has to wait for the other characters to catch up. Now, imagine every story line had the same issue.

[Sir Davos is skipping Season 5 because he is traveling from Dragonstone to the Wall.]

Not completely no, but they can do better. Showing people arriving at their destinations instead of having them just appear later, etc.

Haranhall is a very strategic point in the riverlands. It was occupied by robb, Bolton and tywin at points during the war. But I can almost guarantee it's currently empty. They don't use it til they need it.

I mean, it's not that hard to believe. We have tons of abandoned places here on Earth that you figure someone would occupy, but they just don't for whatever reason. And if you're going to squat somewhere, you probably don't want a castle. Do you have any idea of the heating bills you'd incur to keep from freezing to death in that uncomfortable mass of obsidian? Better show up with a sleeping bag and 40 trees so you can keep the fires lit for a single night. But I did find it amusing that they didn't even bother to lock the door. I was really expecting Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, The First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Khalisee of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons to try to open the door only to find it locked. Maybe that's why Stannis died in battle; he couldn't focus because he was too busy thinking "I did lock up the castle, right?"

Odd thing that nearly took me out of it was her just walking in front of everyone. Like you have two good Lannister archers just waiting there, and boom the Queen is dead.. :\

Sande

^ I get all that. But literally no one. Not a soul. It just seems weird.

There must be people on the island. Maybe just not in the castle.

Odd thing that nearly took me out of it was her just walking in front of everyone. Like you have two good Lannister archers just waiting there, and boom the Queen is dead.. :\
I thought the same. And the Lannisters knew she'd be coming there.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

You guys would ruin the show.

Okay, Dany finally got to Westeros, this is the moment everyone has been waiting for but first lets send a shit ton of troops to make sure no one is there, so she has to wait a few hours on the boat. Oh shit, there was people in there, now they have to kill those people, a day later and she can finally come out. But just incase there might be people hiding, she has to walk behind her troops.

Now it's episode 7, the season over and she hasn't even gotten to the castle.

Odd thing that nearly took me out of it was her just walking in front of everyone. Like you have two good Lannister archers just waiting there, and boom the Queen is dead.. :
Yep, it was just silly. A two minute confrontation with Stannis/Lannister remnants would have been enough. But I guess they went for the more emotional portrayal over realistic, since we've been waiting for this moment for years.

demolitio

I'd like to think that Gendry is somewhere in Dragonstone after getting tired of trying to row away. A couple of episodes from now, he'll just pop out and ask what the gang is up to.

Vashetti

Banned
It would've made more sense for Stannis to leave a skeleton crew to hold the place.

But that would've meant conflict. Their vision was clearly Dany wordlessly exploring the place and ending on "shall we begin?"

Volimar

Yep, it was just silly. A two minute confrontation with Stannis/Lannister remnants would have been enough. But I guess they went for the more emotional portrayal over realistic, since we've been waiting for this moment for years.

I mean whoever confronted them would be dead pretty quickly. It makes more sense to abandon the castle in the face of overwhelming odds. They had no way of knowing that Dany would go ahead of her guards instead of letting them secure the castle for her.

Sephzilla

Why would a Stannis skeleton crew still be holding the place after Stannis was killed probably over a year ago at this point and there's an army with three dragons about to descend upon the place? If there was a small guard still watching over the place, they probably would have abandoned it after Stannis fell and would have especially gotten out of town the moment they heard Danny was coming

I mean whoever confronted them would be dead pretty quickly. It makes more sense to abandon the castle in the face of overwhelming odds. They had no way of knowing that Dany would go ahead of her guards instead of letting them secure the castle for her.
By confrontation I mean,

Guards:...are those your dragons???
Dany: Yes.
Guards: WE'RE NOT WORTHY

Doesnt have to be a fight.

Khaz

When Sam realised Stannis told him about the dragonglass / obsidian, it was in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uo7dwbteFE

At the time it went completely over my head, I assumed they had, like, trinkets made of it here and there, not a whole mine! I can only assume that the mine was abandoned long before Stannis arrived and so he didn't know about it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom