• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Euron won't kill a dragon, as three of them have to survive for Jon, Danny and tyrion to be the three heads of the dragon.

I could see him back the sand sisters as a gift, the would be big enough but not really affect the story if they were captured.

valkyre

Can someone explain to me why the hell the White Walkers seemingly required aeons to reach (when they actually do) the Wall, while Snow was able to hop back an forth in like 3 episodes worth of time?

7 seasons now the walkers are supposedly coming... wtf are they doing, race turtles or something?

Meanwhile Jorah had time to come to Westeros before Dany, get caught and imprisoned...

HvySky

No. Sansa only thinks she understands it. That's what will make her fall all the harder. Littlefinger is pushing her around right to where he wants her.

Was going to say the same thing. Sansa's naivete is what Littlefinger is banking on to work against Jon. If she continues fighting Jon's leadership she'll be playing right into Petyr's hands.

Was going to say the same thing. Sansa's naivete is what Littlefinger is banking on to work against Jon. If she continues fighting Jon's leadership she'll be playing right into Petyr's hands.

That's my thinking. Sansa's like a ticking time bomb. If Jon was watching this show he'd know booting Petyr and Sansa out of Winterfell is probably the safest move.

Can someone explain to me why the hell the White Walkers seemingly required aeons to reach (when they actually do) the Wall, while Snow was able to hop back an forth in like 3 episodes worth of time?

7 seasons now the walkers are supposedly coming... wtf are they doing, race turtles or something?

Meanwhile Jorah had time to come to Westeros before Dany, get caught and imprisoned...

They needed winter to arrive before they could go south of the Wall... That's largely the whole point of "Winter is coming/here."

It boggles my mind how as nerdy a show as this could become such a pop culture sensation. I just don't get how this show became the juggernaut it is. The books weren't super big (as in not much more popular than the many other fantasy series), but for some reason it just clicked.

The show is not nerdy though. You've got violence, gore and sex with some fantastical elements. And obviously it's well-written and well-acted. I'm not surprised it's this popular.

Having said that, this first episode was boring. I'll give it that it has to get through a lot to set up the foundation for the rest but still. Sometimes random scenes that are relatively unimportant seem far too stretched out. E.g., Arya running into those soldiers; that should have been done in like 60 seconds.

Pastry

Banned
I think in the end Sansa will end up outplaying Littlefinger, it just feels like what their relationship and her development has been building up to. He's creating a monster that will eventually foil his plans.

rambis

Banned
The show is not nerdy though. You've got violence, gore and sex with some fantastical elements. And obviously it's well-written and well-acted. I'm not surprised it's this popular.

Having said that, this first episode was boring. I'll give it that it has to get through a lot to set up the foundation for the rest but still. Sometimes random scenes that are relatively unimportant seem far too stretched out. E.g., Arya running into those soldiers; that should have been done in like 60 seconds.

Can't forget probably the most important part, scandal/drama. People absolutely live for plot twists and betrayals.

Ithil

He sailed across on a friendship.

933632.gif

Nameless

They weren't actually on the move South before Winter hit, just building up their forces.

I don't think Euron has what it takes to kill a dragon. I think they will be wiped super fast.

The way they've handled his character so far makes me think that he does have what it takes. He's kind of been on this slow burn progression, but deceptively so. Seems like he's about to surprise a lot of the other characters. Granted, people get killed off left and right, but it would seem odd to have him on the backburner for as long as he's been for his arc not to actually go anywhere.

Nameless

Loved that Sansa recognized her Sith training sessions with Cersei early on. You could definitely see it in the character the past few seasons, but it's nice to hear it coming directly from her.

HvySky

The way they've handled his character so far makes me think that he does have what it takes. He's kind of been on this slow burn progression, but deceptively so. Seems like he's about to surprise a lot of the other characters.

I want Euron to get eaten by a dragon the moment he stops off his ship.

Ithil

The way they've handled his character so far makes me think that he does have what it takes. He's kind of been on this slow burn progression, but deceptively so. Seems like he's about to surprise a lot of the other characters. Granted, people get killed off left and right, but it would seem odd to have him on the backburner for as long as he's been for his arc not to actually go anywhere.

They said they were doing a soft reboot of his character between Season 6 and 7, which is why he was way different. I believe given they've killed off all the other major villains he's now being put forth as the replacement for Ramsay (narrative wise). I expect him to back up his words quickly.

Gonna need to get back to distinctive uniforms for all the sides. Sansa, Cersei, and Daenarys's crew all looking like Bryan Singer's black leather clad Xmen.

Can't forget probably the most important part, scandal/drama. People absolutely live for plot twists and betrayals.

Yup, that too, and intertwined with the violence and sex to make it even more appealing.

Oh and incest. Who doesn't like to watch a little brother-sister action occasionally?

Not me though.

I think the show will follow a predictable route from here on out. Jon snow, Dani and Tyrion have main character armor and is safe. Lannisters will perish this season. And Lotr style whitewalker vs human fight in kingslanding next season. Dani crowned queen, Jon snow king of the north. Tyrion adviser to queen. Jon snow will find out from brann who he is but he will feel that he's always a Stark over Targaryan and choose winterfell.

It boggles my mind how as nerdy a show as this could become such a pop culture sensation. I just don't get how this show became the juggernaut it is. The books weren't super big (as in not much more popular than the many other fantasy series), but for some reason it just clicked.
I got my dad into the show last year. He's not really into fantasy stuff, but he loves the show.

- The focus is on the grounded medieval stuff. alliances, backstabbing, spying, backroom politics, etc
- The magical stuff is in the background, and is intriguing without being overwhelming (compared to Lord of the Rings)
- The world, lore, history, connections between houses is fascinating
- Strong characters and character development, heroes you love to root for and villians you love to hate
- Great gory action and spectacle, impressively epic scope and scale

Where the fuck was everyone at Dragonstone. lol

I mean yeah Stannis left but there isn't a single person in the castle lol

During that scene I honestly thought it was a Cersie trap or something because of how easy it was for Dany to just walk in and go to the throne.

Yeah why did the Lannisters just leave Dragonstone open like that? It's not even that far from King's Landing.

It seems like one of those valuable hotspots that everyone in a strategy game would rush for.

Jumeira

Banned
Return of the Starks you bastards!!! Finally after all the waiting all those years in agony and i see my boy now running the North and my girl dropping those spineless Walder cunts !!!

Ithil

So obviously Dany is Jon's aunt because her brother was Rhaegar which is his father but aren't her and Jon like similar ages?

Rhaegar was a grown man with a wife and child, Dany was born right at the end of Robert's rebellion. There's a huge age gap between her and Rhaegar.

Nameless

Yeah why did the Lannisters just leave Dragonstone open like that? It's not even that far from King's Landing.

It seems like one of those valuable hotspots that everyone in a strategy game would rush for.

Because taking troops to man that castle and island would severely compromise King's Landing's defenses? Remember they don't have the Tryell forces to lean on anymore. I imagine the Lannisters are spread pretty thin between the capital and Castertly Rock.

Also it's wise not to force Dany's hand to attack sooner before they have allies.

Because taking troops to man that castle and island would severely compromise King's Landing's defenses? Remember they don't have the Tryell forces to lean on anymore. I imagine the Lannisters are spread pretty thin between the capital and Castertly Rock.

Also it's wise not to force Dany's hand to attack sooner before they have allies.

Still, seems like a huge strategic asset to just leave like that, especially considering the Greyjoys sailed right by it. Should've sent Ed Sheeran there, he could have hid in the corner and shanked Dany.

Sadist

Good opening. Some observations:

- Arya going for the Freys was to be expected and a bit on the nose, but I still enjoyed the hell out of that scene.

- Good guy Jon. He's not wrong though. Btw, the little lady steals the moment yet again. "I don't need your permission to defend the North." Right on.

- Sansa really did get ruthless. Cersei rubbed off on her. She's scary yo.

- Haha, Jaimy actually said "You know Cersei we really are the Last of Us."

- Yeah, Euron will wreck some shit. These Ironborn are cray cray.

- Sam is always losing, poor bloke. Respect Samwell you sucky people.

- Speaking of sucky people, why is Sandor Clegane the awesomest guy in the realm? "You're not fooling me with that knot on top of yer head. You bald cunt." I legit laughed during his scenes. I know he's being serious, but honestly he is my favourite comedic relief in the series right now.

- Welp, here comes Daenny. Everybody gonna die a fiery death.

Edit: Tormund hitting on Brienne never gets old. The disgust on her face is brilliant.

Edit 2: I agree on the Dragon Stone thing: why have such a strategic place (pointed out by Jaime nonetheless) unguarded? If I were Cersei I would have torched the place to the ground. On the other hand, I assume her army is getting quite small these days. They don't have the manpower I guess.

jfkgoblue

Rome had violence, gore and sex but wasn't popular at all. Idk it is just strange to me.

Pastry

Banned
So are we supposed to believe that Cersei has an impressive army because she suddenly has boats?

Prior to that she was supposed to have a serious disadvantage on all fronts and boats don't really solve any of the problems they had as an army. Unless there are like millions of Ironborn I dont get how this changes a battle against dragons, unsullied and dothraki.

Rome had violence, gore and sex but wasn't popular at all. Idk it is just strange to me.
Rome came out at a wrong time. I think if Rome were to come out now it will be a big hit. I thought the first season was amazing. 10/10. The second season felt rushed because they were told this is it. At least the producers wrapped it up.

jfkgoblue

So are we supposed to believe that Cersei has an impressive army because she suddenly has boats?

Prior to that she was supposed to have a serious disadvantage on all fronts and boats don't really solve any of the problems they had as an army. Unless there are like millions of Ironborn I dont get how this changes a battle against dragons, unsullied and dothraki.
I don't think it is supposed to change anything, I think they are setting it up for the Lannisters to get wiped out.
Rome came out at a wrong time. I think if Rome were to come out now it will be a big hit. I thought the first season was amazing. 10/10. The second season felt rushed because they were told this is it. At least the producers wrapped it up.
Yeah Rome was amazing, I would be curious how it would do today.

Good setup for what will hopefully be a great season.

Watching Sam made me rethink the complaints I have about my job, almost lost my dinner.

Clegane is really growing on me.

I doubt the ending will be as predictable as many expect, really curious to see how it turns out.

Astral Dog

Maybe they don't have any rush? I mean they are cold zombies, they don't need to eat and are very paitient waiting for the winters.
⛄

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Great episode...

also my boy from the UK was with one of the football teams over there yesterday and he has been with Sam and Gendry all day. not that it means anything. I didn't even recognize him.

dealer-

Speaking of sucky people, why is Sandor Clegane the awesomest guy in the realm? "You're not fooling me with that knot on top of yer head. You bald cunt." I legit laughed during his scenes. I know he's being serious, but honestly he is my favourite comedic relief in the series right now.

Lol love the Hound's one liners.

"You're not fooling anyone with that top knot, ya bald cunt".

Relevant as fuck. Seeing them everywhere at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom