• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Rootbeer

Banned
I just don't normally have a need to use it, to add to it. I think I'll try it but, I just don't wanna do it alone. I have no idea how fares or routes or stops work and I don't wanna be midwestern kid stuck alone in downtown San Fran.

Downtown is a fun place to get stuck :p NE of 5th street anyway. Have some confidence, you can do it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Downtown is a fun place to get stuck :p NE of 5th street anyway. Have some confidence, you can do it.

I have no idea why "NE of 5th street" is more fun or what is considered "downtown" here so, for my sake, please don't be cryptic with the newbie; I especially don't wanna get stuck in a rough area. I don't like not having a good way out of places that I don't know.

Maybe another night if I have people with me.

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized how snippy that sounded, didn't mean to snap at you, I know you mean well.

I'm loving this city so far. I've walked most of the Piers, hiked the colt tower, went to Chinatown during a big Chinese New Year fest, etc.

Is it true that there are food trucks on Friday nights close to the Golden Gate Bridge? if not, any spot close to the bay that I can look out for?

ezekial45

Banned
I'm loving this city so far. I've walked most of the Piers, hiked the colt tower, went to Chinatown during a big Chinese New Year fest, etc.

Is it true that there are food trucks on Friday nights close to the Golden Gate Bridge? if not, any spot close to the bay that I can look out for?

Off the Grid at Fort Mason on Friday evenings (5pm-9pm).

http://offthegridsf.com/

It's awesome, I'd definitely go if you can. It's also a fantastic date spot. If it's on a day with nice weather, you can talk a walk by the water and check out the view.

MC Safety

Thanks, but like I said, I'm just too inexperienced at riding public transit to trust myself solo on them right now.

Use 511.org. It will plot out multiple routes to your destination and give you exact locations and times for the stops on your trip.

It's easy to be overwhelmed using public transportation, but you learn by doing.

public transit is not scary. if you have a phone made in the last 10 years... google maps + muni alerts + bart usher + clipper card = impossible to get lost. Just ignore the crazies. It's best to not talk to them.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yes I'm down!

If we do something in the city I can get some of us southbay folks to Millbrae bart if you guys wanna carpool up there.

I need me a night out so bad after this past week.

I'd be down for that, might take my own ride to the station at least, possibly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels to stay in the city? I'll be visiting early May for about 6 days with 3 other people. We'll be missing Bay to Breakers, I know :(.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels to stay in the city? I'll be visiting early May for about 6 days with 3 other people. We'll be missing Bay to Breakers, I know :(.

I have liked the Inn at Union Square whenever I have stayed there. Right near Union Square, reasonably priced and has a small hotel feel.

gcubed

have a phone interview with Google this week, hopefully goes weill and i'll be out there for face to face in march. *crossing fingers* that i have to find a place to live in the next few months

Okay, so the anniversary is on Thursday. Right now I have dinner reservations at Chapeau around 8:30 and there's a Noire Cocktails and Creativity thing around 5:30. Are there any other events or romantic like areas I should be thinking of?

Fjordson

Brutal weather today here in San Jose. Intense hail, and now we're getting thunder and lightning. Hail has been so rare in my time living out here.

Easy_G

Today was definitely cold for a rainy day. It's almost always 50 degrees when there's rain. Today was easily around 40. Still, not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
When I tell my friend in Chicago how cold it is in the Bay Area he just laughs at me :\
Anything below 72 in CA is COLD.

As a midwestern-er myself, I can attest to this. When I got here, the bay hit that 30 degree cold snap and everyone was complaining. It was sweatshirt weather, at worst.

SF managed to not be that cold temp wise but that wind in between buildings would just fuck with me. The cold somehow seeps into your bones.

Acid08

Banned
37 in Livermore right now, preeeeetty chilly. Having to go to the East Coast to see most of my family through my life has given me a deep, deep appreciation for the mild winters we have.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
SF managed to not be that cold temp wise but that wind in between buildings would just fuck with me. The cold somehow seeps into your bones.

I can understand the cold seeping into through that. A blizzard wind just makes you tense up and grit through the subzero temp, even before considering wind chill.

Although, the fact (that I've heard) that July's in the Bay are colder than January's boggles my mind. I guess I'm too used to the "Winter: YOU FREEZE TO DEATH, Summer: YOU FRY TO DEATH" routine of the midwest/great plains to have ever thought of that.

...sweat...shirt?

It's like the bastard of a hoodie and a t-shirt.

Hoodies and sweatshirts are pretty much the same thing, only sweatshirts don't have hoods, basically. I tend to use the terms interchangeably. If you're thinking of what Bill Belichick wears, well, no one else wears that.

I can understand the cold seeping into through that. A blizzard wind just makes you tense up and grit through the subzero temp, even before considering wind chill.

Although, the fact (that I've heard) that July's in the Bay are colder than January's boggles my mind.

Southward water from the north and fog.

wario

Although, the fact (that I've heard) that July's in the Bay are colder than January's boggles my mind. I guess I'm too used to the "Winter: YOU FREEZE TO DEATH, Summer: YOU FRY TO DEATH" routine of the midwest/great plains to have ever thought of that.

that's only true in the city. everywhere else in the bay is pretty warm/hot around summer. so many times i'll drive into SF wearing a t-shirt/sandals and freeze my ass off cuz the temp just drops like 20 degrees.

that's only true in the city. everywhere else in the bay is pretty warm/hot around summer. so many times i'll drive into SF wearing a t-shirt/sandals and freeze my ass off cuz the temp just drops like 20 degrees.

This is true, especially in the east bay.

Trevelyan

Banned
It's pretty nice here in Los Gatos this morning. Yeah, a bit chilly, but the sun makes it feel a lot nicer than the thermometers read.

Top Bottom