• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

that's only true in the city. everywhere else in the bay is pretty warm/hot around summer. so many times i'll drive into SF wearing a t-shirt/sandals and freeze my ass off cuz the temp just drops like 20 degrees.

That's my spring/summer issue during commuting. And it's why despite living in the East Bay, I can never put away jackets/sweaters because I work in SF. I hate having to dress for both the heat and cold as that 20 degree difference wrecks havoc on you - especially when Bart's A/C is busted and the heater's on in the car when it's already over 80 in the East.

harSon

Banned
The digital sign on Highway 17 coming from Santa Cruz yesterday said to watch for icy conditions. It was at 4PM.

Dude, what's with Santa Cruz lately? Drive by slayings, students getting shot in the back of the head at point blank, armed robberies and rapes in broad daylight on a UC Campus? All in the last two weeks too.

Never had to experience ice, but I strangely loved driving on 17 when it was rainy/foggy/windy. I have no idea why though, but I still find it fun. Night driving on it is fun too, since you can always tell where the CHP is.

Maybe I'm not experienced as other daily HWY 17 drivers. Lots of long sweeping high speed turns on 2 lanes is a bit sketch for me during rainy conditions. I do love driving HWY 9/35/84 though...during dry season.

Acid08

Banned
Friend of mine got in an accident on 17 because it was his first time driving it and he was looking at his phone and not the fucking crazy twisty narrow road.

I love 17 though, in a tight turning little hatch it's a breeze.

Friend of mine got in an accident on 17 because it was his first time driving it and he was looking at his phone and not the fucking crazy twisty narrow road.

I love 17 though, in a tight turning little hatch it's a breeze.

Come do a 9/35/84/1 drive. It's a lot tighter and better views :p

Maybe I'm not experienced as other daily HWY 17 drivers. Lots of long sweeping high speed turns on 2 lanes is a bit sketch for me during rainy conditions. I do love driving HWY 9/35/84 though...during dry season.

Highway 17 is not fun, I drive it everyday, but reverse commute. I see accidents at least a few times a week (saw a fairly bad one yesterday afternoon southbound), and it's a difficult drive, even when you do it everyday. There is a portion I call "death corner," when during a few months of the year, during my morning commute, the rising sun is so blazing in your eyes, you can not see anything as you come around a 60 degree turn. Not to mention, people pull over where you can't pull over around blind corners. Plus CHP stalks the part by Lexington Resevoir where the speed limit goes up for a short portion, but right as you go back to the curves, it drops, and they wait there and pounce. I know at least 6 people who've gotten huge tickets for going 65 in a 50 when the speed limit was 60 a few feet earlier.

geeko

I drive Half of 17 daily, and there are no shortage of idiots driving that road. The road just has to be slightly damp and people start crashing into the sides. I'm glad I only have to drive as far as summit. I can't imagine driving the whole length of 17 daily.

I've only gotten to be an 'old hand' at driving under those conditions when I basically had just gotten my car (my Junior year) and was traveling back and fourth between SC and SJ (or home). Also, at the time, my friend was a manager for a movie theater in Santa Clara and would dry run movies on the Mondays they received the film so I'd drive late at night just to go watch a movie and then drive back to Santa Cruz at like 3am. You get desensitized quickly that way to 17.

Btw, anyone going to see the Postal Service in Berkeley on July 26th? Presale went up today while gen goes up on Friday. Got my ticket already.

I've never made it to the SF Ike's, but had it in Cupertino. I like it. I tend to go for the more simpler sandwiches, but the Patrick Marleau is fucking good.

Anyone going to Noise Pop in the coming week?
I'm going to see The Thermals at The Rickshaw Stop. Should be fun.
Anyone here been to Ike's Place? I went to the one on the Stanford campus and it tastes better than I remember.
I've been there a couple of times before they moved. Good sandwiches, but they didn't blow my mind or anything.
I'm going to the show with Kim Gordon at Rickshaw Stop.
Dude, we still need to hit Bourbon & Branch sometime. Sorry I never set that up.

Good luck getting a reservation at that place. Good drinks but otherwise not worth the effort.
I've never had too much trouble as long as I plan ahead. It's nice having a chill place to grab a good drink where they don't rush you at all. That being said, there are a lot of other good cocktail bars in the city these days, so it's not as if there aren't other options.

Easy_G

Good luck getting a reservation at that place. Good drinks but otherwise not worth the effort.

I've never had too much trouble as long as I plan ahead. It's nice having a chill place to grab a good drink where they don't rush you at all. That being said, there are a lot of other good cocktail bars in the city these days, so it's not as if there aren't other options.

Yeah, just make a reservation in advance. If you don't mind waiting it's no effort at all. Definitely nice to enjoy a drink without crowds and without a rush.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Hey folks, I was hoping I could get some advice? My partner and I are going to LA for a few days in July for AX, and instead of staying in LA after the con we're thinking of heading up to San Francisco for a couple of nights. I know basically nothing about the city, and I have no idea where to stay. We're probably not interested in the real touristy shit, we're way more interested in seeing the art scene and such. Maybe a Giants game.

We want to be close to interesting stuff to do (no car), we'd like to have a reasonably affordable hotel room, and we don't really want to stay on the corner of Murder Drive and Assault Street. Any suggestions as to what the best area would be?

Hey folks, I was hoping I could get some advice? My partner and I are going to LA for a few days in July for AX, and instead of staying in LA after the con we're thinking of heading up to San Francisco for a couple of nights. I know basically nothing about the city, and I have no idea where to stay. We're probably not interested in the real touristy shit, we're way more interested in seeing the art scene and such. Maybe a Giants game.

We want to be close to interesting stuff to do (no car), we'd like to have a reasonably affordable hotel room, and we don't really want to stay on the corner of Murder Drive and Assault Street. Any suggestions as to what the best area would be?

Fillmore, Mission, Marina, North Beach, Haight, SOMA districts are good bets.
Tenderloin I would avoid, but it's a part of SF charm I guess if you want to see lots of homeless people and drug deals going on. It's not as bad some people make it out to be.
Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf are tourist traps.

Hey folks, I was hoping I could get some advice? My partner and I are going to LA for a few days in July for AX, and instead of staying in LA after the con we're thinking of heading up to San Francisco for a couple of nights.

Whoa, heading to AX? I'll be down there with friends doing some con coverage before we fly back up (usually we drive but this year we're flying both ways). Anyways, if you wanna chill with some SF Bay Gaffers, we'll be around AX.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, heading to AX? I'll be down there with friends doing some con coverage before we fly back up (usually we drive but this year we're flying both ways). Anyways, if you wanna chill with some SF Bay Gaffers, we'll be around AX.
Yeah, we ran into a snafu trying to get tickets to a localish con (it would've been an eight hour drive) and decided, eh, let's just do AX instead. So we're gonna go do that! That's a whole other list of things I'm trying to sort out, haha.

Yeah, we ran into a snafu trying to get tickets to a localish con (it would've been an eight hour drive) and decided, eh, let's just do AX instead. So we're gonna go do that! That's a whole other list of things I'm trying to sort out, haha.

Gotcha and good luck but do remember to bring a jacket (a light one should be good) if coming to SF as it does get cold at night during July.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Gotcha and good luck but do remember to bring a jacket (a light one should be good) if coming to SF as it does get cold at night during July.
How cold are we talking here? I pretty regularly walk around in just a t-shirt & pants as long as it's above 40.

A question from a foreigner: do people from the sf bay area consider the area one city of three distinct cities of San Jose, Oakland and San Fran?

Just asking as someone told me that San Fran only had a population of 800,000 and I assume that is just the Cbd of San Fran and not including the outer suburbs.

But looking at maps, it seems san fran, San Jose and Oakland are pretty much within easy driving distance of each other. In Australia, we'd call it one city of about 12 Million people or so considering what we call "Sydney", including the outer suburbs.

Easy_G

A question from a foreigner: do people from the sf bay area consider the area one city of three distinct cities of San Jose, Oakland and San Fran?

Just asking as someone told me that San Fran only had a population of 800,000 and I assume that is just the Cbd of San Fran and not including the outer suburbs.

But looking at maps, it seems san fran, San Jose and Oakland are pretty much within easy driving distance of each other. In Australia, we'd call it one city of about 12 Million people or so considering what we call "Sydney", including the outer suburbs.

It's definitely considered different cities. The area between the three you listed have plenty of smaller cities as well. And just to be clear, it takes a good 50 minutes to drive from San Francisco to San Jose.

basically what Easy_G said. There's distinct North Bay, East Bay, South Bay. SF is technically "West Bay" since it's west of Oakland, but SF is considered to be the epicenter of the Bay Area if you will. Peninsula region is also large and is in between South/East/SF region.

San Jose (1 million +) actually has a bigger population than San Francisco (800k) and Oakland (400k?), but no one gives a fuck about San Jose.

newarrior

basically what Easy_G said. There's distinct North Bay, East Bay, South Bay. SF is technically "West Bay" since it's west of Oakland, but SF is considered to be the epicenter of the Bay Area if you will. Peninsula region is also large and is in between South/East/SF region.

San Jose (1 million +) actually has a bigger population than San Francisco (800k) and Oakland (400k?), but no one gives a fuck about San Jose.

I live in San Jose and yes, no one gives a fuck about San Jose.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Silicon Valley motherfucker

jk, i get that feeling here too, so far.

Cheers for the replies guys

It's definitely considered different cities. The area between the three you listed have plenty of smaller cities as well. And just to be clear, it takes a good 50 minutes to drive from San Francisco to San Jose.

50 mins is not that much at all. It would take an hour to drive from Sydney CBd to the outer western suburbs, yet the western suburbs are considered part of sydney.

The definition of a city is completely different I think. I live in Adelaide, which Australians say has a population of 1 million. Yet its known as a city with a small town feel.

San franscico is apparently 800k but there is no way it's smaller than Adelaide. What we call part of a city is what sounds like these metropolitan statistical area or combined statistical area as per the links below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

You got 3 cities that are pretty large. I mean each of those cities have an international airport.

San Jose has Guadalajara and now (but not right now) Narita. It's International in the loosest sense of the word. But it's great if you want to fly Southwest and you can't be bothered driving all the way to SFO from South Bay.

Yeah I would say that there are 3 cities : San Fran, Oakland, San Jose with San Fran having a population of 4-7 million, not 800k

Inside the 49 square miles is 800K. Even if you count San Mateo County and Marin County it's still less than 1.8 million.

abic

Banned
Yeah I would say that there are 3 cities : San Fran, Oakland, San Jose with San Fran having a population of 4-7 million, not 800k

I'm sorry but this is spoken like a person who's never actually lived in a large city.. Having lived in multiple mega cities my entire life, you know that if a city as small as San Francisco has 4 million people, that would mean a whole other level of density.

Heck, SINGAPORE is a country that is slightly bigger than SF (710km2 vs. 610km2) and has 5.3 million people. It's the closest comparison if your claims are real, and that city is PACKED with high rise to just fit that many people.

SF, SJ, and Oakland are the biggest cities in the Bay Area region, but from small city to small city is quite drastic in terms of population, economics, and culture. People who live in the Bay Area do not at all limit themselves in terms of SF/SF/Oakland. That's like saying all of Southern California is Los Angeles.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Saw about the Chinese New Years parade in another thread, so out of touch with what's going on in SF. I think I'll be there, anyone else going?

Easy_G

Saw about the Chinese New Years parade in another thread, so out of touch with what's going on in SF. I think I'll be there, anyone else going?

I've never been. What happens? A parade through China Town? Is it typically crowded, long, short, noisy, serene?

>:/

Top Bottom