• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

sca2511

I know at least Auron might be interested in this but more Bay gaffers could be too!

Big Wow Comicfest in SJ is coming up in May, anyone ever gone before? Impressions? Since Anaheim is stealing Wondercon again this year this looks like the only option for a comic convention in the area.
I'm going to this, first time. Got some good artists showing up. Might go to Wondercon as well, we'll see.

Acid08

Banned
I'm going to this, first time. Got some good artists showing up. Might go to Wondercon as well, we'll see.

I would love to make a trip down for Wondercon. Fucking stupid Anacrime :(

or "Frisco".

And it won't be weird if you say "Hella", unless you're outside of the Norcal or in Santa Cruz.

My NYC relatives make fun of me every time I let a "hella" slip out. Now I just say it all the time when I see them.

Acid08

Banned
Is Wondercon never going back to SF?

Man, I should wear a GAF shirt when going to BigWoW... or any convention.

I sure hope so. There was some scheduling stuff that kept it from being in SF this year, hopefully it will be back next year.

I just like saying Anacrime.

And it won't be weird if you say "Hella", unless you're outside of the Norcal or in Santa Cruz.

I always say "hella" no matter what. And I don't care as when talking with friends from NY, they still say it despite being NorCal transplants for over 5 years lol. It's even funnier when talking with SoCal friends and they say it too unintentionally. That I make fun of them for.

Credo

Thanks again to all of you for your advice. I looked at some of the places in Berkeley on the real estate sites, and most are more than I'm willing to pay right now, but I'm sure many more will become available. It's not like I was planning on moving immediately, even if I do go through with it. I've just got to get out of the Southeast someday.

Toki767

Don't say "hella". Please.

Or "gnarly," "stoked," or "rad". Although, this might just be Santa Cruz talk.

I've pretty much stopped saying "hella". It's really more teenagers and college students that say it. I've never ever heard anyone in the bay area say gnarly, stoked, or rad though.

Linkhero1

Heads up: people *hate* it when you say San Fran.

SF, San Francisco, or you're a tourist.

This is true. It irritates the shit out of me.

Don't say "hella". Please.

Or "gnarly," "stoked," or "rad". Although, this might just be Santa Cruz talk.

This, though, I tend to say "hella" a lot myself :(

It's become a habit.

I've pretty much stopped saying "hella". It's really more teenagers and college students that say it. I've never ever heard anyone in the bay area say gnarly, stoked, or rad though.

Only in Santa Cruz I think

Maybe it's a Santa Cruz thing, but it doesn't make you look good to use the word "gnarly" or a derivative like "gnars," or "gnar gnar" when you're in your 40s.

"Do you take the 280 or the 101 to get to San Francisco?"

*cringe*

There there. I only and the when in SoCal because otherwise people look at me when I'm talking about what freeway to take. Otherwise, I have no need to say 'the' when in NorCal.

Eh, I use 'em all, particularly stoked and rad - aside from hella. *shrugs*

harSon

Banned
I don't think it's possible for me to stop saying Hella. It's too ingrained at this point. Considering I still say Pop in place of soda, and I moved from Pittsburgh over a decade ago, I'm convinced hella is going to stick around for a while.

I don't think it's possible for me to stop saying Hella. It's too ingrained at this point. Considering I still say Pop in place of soda, and I moved from Pittsburgh over a decade ago, I'm convinced hella is going to stick around for a while.

You hear about the crazy shooting in Santa Cruz the other day?

I can vouch that North Berkeley is great, and we have our own BART station. Safe, great sense of community, Monterey Market, Ghourmet Ghetto... Hard to beat.

Fuck, I lived down on Haste and Shattuck when I was going to school and I was always extremely envious of those living in North Berkeley. I'd love to find a place there now that I'm moving back (Monterey market is way too crowded, though).

harSon

Banned

Yeah man, it was about a half mile from one of my friend's house. Crazy shit. Santa Cruz has had a horrible month. A dude getting killed in a driveby in front of the Red Room downtown, a UCSC student getting shot in the back of her head during a robbery attempt, a visiting girl getting raped at UCSC in broad daylight by some unknown dude, these recent cop shootings and yesterday morning some student died after falling from a bridge on campus.

Pretty crazy. Pretty much nothing violent happened when I was attending UCSC.

Yeah man, it was about a half mile from one of my friend's house. Crazy shit. Santa Cruz has had a horrible month. A dude getting killed in a driveby in front of the Red Room downtown, a UCSC student getting shot in the back of her head during a robbery attempt, a visiting girl getting raped at UCSC in broad daylight by some unknown dude, these recent cop shootings and yesterday morning some student died after falling from a bridge on campus.

Apparently, shots were fired during the pursuit right in the outside eating area of Whole Foods. My neighbor in Morgan Hill is a Santa Cruz cop, and that was the first time I ever saw him while coming over 17. He pulled up next to me on the summit and waved. Luckily, he was ok. Apparently the entire force got the day off yesterday.

It's weird hearing about all this going down, as when I was attending UCSC, the most you ever heard about were the pot raids... and that was about it. Even school news was kinda more along the lines of 'watch out for mountain lions' or 'be careful when walking in unlit areas' but nothing like either the rape or someone falling off of one of the bridges...

Depressing hearing about all that for sure though...

Apparently, shots were fired during the pursuit right in the outside eating area of Whole Foods. My neighbor in Morgan Hill is a Santa Cruz cop, and that was the first time I ever saw him while coming over 17. He pulled up next to me on the summit and waved. Luckily, he was ok. Apparently the entire force got the day off yesterday.

Crazy... And glad your neighbor's okay and probably lucky the entire force was off otherwise it may have been worse.

Interesting enough, I was looking up the bridge death, because I hadn't heard of it, and saw this just posted:

UCSC Rape was Fake, Police Say

harSon

Banned
I'm visiting this weekend to help a friends flag football team, and to dominate a beer pong tournament. Hopefully nothing bad happens...

Linkhero1

It's sad because I like the area. I hardly ever go because of the traffic.

Not even. If you live anywhere in a twenty, twenty five minute radius of SF, SF is referred to as The City, or you're a tourist.

E: beaten lol

LOL

It's something that's integrated to all those living nearby. It's so common that whenever I hear someone say The City, I think of SF.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Not even. If you live anywhere in a twenty, twenty five minute radius of SF, SF is referred to as The City, or you're a tourist.

E: beaten lol

I've lived in SF for two years and I've never heard anyone call it The City. Maybe like "I live in the city" meaning downtown, but never emphasized as a proper noun.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've lived in SF for two years and I've never heard anyone call it The City. Maybe like "I live in the city" meaning downtown, but never emphasized as a proper noun.

It only makes sense in the context of living outside of the city. What are you up to today? Oh just heading into the city to hang out. Stuff like that.

It only makes sense in the context of living outside of the city. What are you up to today? Oh just heading into the city to hang out. Stuff like that.

Pretty much what Yaboosh said. Whenever I'm talking to anyone and say that 'I work in the city' or 'I'm heading into the city for the day', usually I'm referring to San Francisco and most people understand that fact.

wario

i thought it was common knowledge San Francisco was known as 'The City'.

This was the Warriors logo when they played in SF during the 60's:

5993.gif

Linkhero1

Where are some of your favorite places to eat? I go to the city at least once a week, but I've been too afraid to try anything new.

Edit: I really wish we had a Roscoe's

i thought it was common knowledge San Francisco was known as 'The City'.

This was the Warriors logo when they played in SF during the 60's:

5993.gif

I thought it was, but whenever 'The City' is said, it's usually in context of something that's said. I only hear it referred in the singular when actually in San Francisco itself.

wario

some spots I like in SF:

PPQ Dungeness Island - Awesome crab place. Peppercorn flavor all the way.

Lers Ros Thai - Favorite Thai place in the city.

Nopa - Best pork chop I have ever had.

Brenda's French Soul Food - Dessert beignets are bomb.

Ha Nam Ninh - Nice pho spot. Known for their #25 Dry.

Turtle Tower Restaurant - Northern Vietnamese style pho with wider noodles. Love their Pho Ga. Good for hangovers.

I think we already covered the ice cream spots in this thread so I'll skip those.

catabarez

Tried it once and loved their fries. I should probably go back and try something else.

Love this place. It's a shame that it opened on campus my last semester at SFSU. I should definitely go back since I haven't had a good sandwich in a while.

Check the website. They may have one closer to you than the one in SF.

Acid08

Banned
Went there with a friend a few years back, the fries and crepes were great.

Favorite place... Hmm... I'm fond of On the Bridge in Japantown but service is either super-slow or prompt. Kinda strange.

My family also loves Tad's so I have some bit of affection for that place too.
The curry pizza at On The Bridge is dope.

Top Bottom