• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Where are some of your favorite places to eat? I go to the city at least once a week, but I've been too afraid to try anything new.

Edit: I really wish we had a Roscoe's

Brenda's as someone mentioned for some "soul food".
Frjtz is awesome.
Toronado's for beers + Rosamunde's sausages on Haight.
Pearl's has awesome burgers.
House of Prime
Taqueria Cancun, El Faralito, Mr. Pollo
Incanto for that "Leg of the Beast" and bone marrow dish.
Tartine Bakery

There's also this Porcetta cart thats always parked at the Ferry Building during Farmer's Market on the weekends. Off The Grid food trucks, etc.

Almost every corner has a lot of good food. Cant go wrong.

robox

i've had katana-ya a twice and i'm not convinced. suzu noodle in japantown mall and even ajisen is better, slightly. both do not compare to the time i went to himawari in san mateo though. next, it'll be ramen dojo.

i'm gonna have to try hard knox cafe. it's just down the street from me.

iavi

i've had katana-ya a twice and i'm not convinced. suzu noodle in japantown mall and even ajisen is better, slightly. both do not compare to the time i went to himawari in san mateo though. next, it'll be ramen dojo.

i'm gonna have to try hard knox cafe. it's just down the street from me.

You have to try Tanpopo. Best ramen I've had in the city yet. It's in the square right across from the JPtown mall double entrance, next to iroha. There's usually a wait in the afternoon, but it's worth it

Credo

Ok, now I want to move to the Bay just to eat at these places you all are talking about! There's nothing even remotely like that out here.

Linkhero1

You guys are awesome. Gonna give one of these places a try this weekend. I'm really craving some chicken and waffles so it might be hardknox.

AcridMeat

Banned
Someone cleaned house of the hentai dvds though. :(

Who has had Super Duper? We've got a Pearl's in my town as well but I always go to my supes. Racer 5 on tap and Soju Milkshakes.

Going to another Warriors game Monday, can't wait.

Toki767

Super Duper is pretty good. I feel like their burgers are kinda small though. Have you guys tried Bullshead? They have buffalo burgers and buffalo steak there.

Super Duper's pretty good and I actually found it to be on par with Shake Shack when I was in NY last September.

Price-wise it's in line with most places though I found them to be cheaper (and tastier) than Five Guys.

Anyone near or planning to go to Pier 39, I was wondering if someone could help me out. There's a TCHO Chocolate Shop there I was wondering if someone'd be willing to pick something up for me an ship to me. Course I'd reimburse for product, shipping, and your time. PM me if you're willing.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anyone near or planning to go to Pier 39, I was wondering if someone could help me out. There's a TCHO Chocolate Shop there I was wondering if someone'd be willing to pick something up for me an ship to me. Course I'd reimburse for product, shipping, and your time. PM me if you're willing.

Tcho has an online store.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Also, that's not just a store they have there, its the actual factory that makes the chocolates.

Highly recommended if you like dark chocolate.

Sure, I could swing by (it's close to my workplace) one of these days. I'll send a PM.

AcridMeat

Banned
Super Duper is pretty good. I feel like their burgers are kinda small though. Have you guys tried Bullshead? They have buffalo burgers and buffalo steak there.
I agree but for the size they are incredibly satisfying imo. Whereas Pearl's will make me unable to do anything for hours afterward, Super Duper is filling and very satisfying patty wise. I haven't been to Bullshead but now I want to! Where are they located?
Super Duper's pretty good and I actually found it to be on par with Shake Shack when I was in NY last September.

Price-wise it's in line with most places though I found them to be cheaper (and tastier) than Five Guys.
I didn't find Five Guys that great. The buns they use just disintegrated when eating, found that gross. Liked their generosity with their fries though.

Do they actually have a shop there as well? I'm only aware of the factory on Pier 17.

I've seen it when walking past, the shop's off to the side while the factory's inside of the pier.

I didn't find Five Guys that great. The buns they use just disintegrated when eating, found that gross. Liked their generosity with their fries though.

Five Guys is meh compared to In-N-Out for me and there's something off about the potatoes they use for their fries. But the price point for a burger, fries & drink at Five Guys is actually more expensive than Super Duper's Single combo.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just go to Nick's Crispy Tacos on Polk St. Cheap, delicious. Big space. Has a bar. At night, gets rowdy. Polk St is one of the best 'strips' to bar hop on too, without having to take public transportation.

relaxor

what?
There's this place in Chinatown called the Empress of China. It's cool, the rest of Chinatown is one or two stories but Empress is up on the 7th floor if this mini skyscraper so there's great views of Chinatown, Nob Hill, Russian Hill etc. Oh but the main point is: between 3-5 pm they have a happy hour where the cocktails, Chinese Martini, Chinese Cosmo, Lychee Martini etc are only 5 bucks! And they're pretty boozy.

Great place to bring friends from out of town.

Great weather today once the fog burned off. It's really nice out now.
Just go to Nick's Crispy Tacos on Polk St. Cheap, delicious. Big space. Has a bar. At night, gets rowdy. Polk St is one of the best 'strips' to bar hop on too, without having to take public transportation.
Nick has moved. He's at Underdogs now if you want to get your fix on. I'm not sure what they serve at the place on Polk St these days. There was some sort of dispute over naming rights.

robox

+1 super duper.
i ordered the small and it was still incredibly satisfying. pair up with the garlic fries and i'm am freakin' done

Rhaegar

Sorry to bring this on-topic for a second, but I am wondering if there are any recommendations for a good used/retro video game store in the South Bay? Recent tranplant here from Milwaukee, and I'm really missing my routine of checking 3 or 4 stores out for hidden treasures every week!

Egnirys

Sorry to bring this on-topic for a second, but I am wondering if there are any recommendations for a good used/retro video game store in the South Bay? Recent tranplant here from Milwaukee, and I'm really missing my routine of checking 3 or 4 stores out for hidden treasures every week!

You might want to try Game World in San Jose. http://www.yelp.com/biz/game-world-san-jose One of my friends still has a working SNES and always finds a game or two here to add to his collection.

and awesome that Grubstake on the corner of Polk/Pine is open until 4am.

Easy_G

Redwood city (not quite South Bay) has a great little used video game store. It's called Planet Mix and it's owned by the guy that owns The Record Man, and thus is just behind his record store. Tons of games from all generations.

Google map w/ pics

Going to the Legend of Zelda Symphony in June. How is the Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco? 2 years ago me and some pals drove all the way to LA and saw the symphony at the Pantages theatre. Good times and lots of traffic.

AcridMeat

Banned
+1 super duper.
i ordered the small and it was still incredibly satisfying. pair up with the garlic fries and i'm am freakin' done
Went last night with a buddy. First time I haven't gotten bacon with it in forever, actually made it taste different but great! Should try not getting bacon more often, can taste more of the meat that way.

XiaNaphryz

Going to the Legend of Zelda Symphony in June. How is the Davies Symphony Hall in San Francisco? 2 years ago me and some pals drove all the way to LA and saw the symphony at the Pantages theatre. Good times and lots of traffic.

Davies is pretty excellent. Getting out might be a chore though depending on which parking garage you end up using.

I usually take bart to Civic Center as City Hall is only a few blocks away from it. Did it last time for the LoZ Symphony and I'd probably do it again if I decide to go. Driving - I only drove there once for the FF Distant Worlds Concert and it was fine, though lots of traffic.

Linkhero1

Thinking of going myself but I still haven't bought tickets.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Great weather today once the fog burned off. It's really nice out now.
Nick has moved. He's at Underdogs now if you want to get your fix on. I'm not sure what they serve at the place on Polk St these days. There was some sort of dispute over naming rights.

He opened a new place, but the menue didn't change on Polk St. You can still get your taco's Nick's Way. Delicious.

XiaNaphryz

Last year my fiance and I drove and it took us 30 minutes, maybe more, to get out of the garage that is by Jardiniere on Grove.

Took us like an hour as we were near the top of the garage. We ended up just wandering around and talking on the ground level to pass the time.

Thinking of going myself but I still haven't bought tickets.

If you wait too long, the only tickets that will be left (if you care about getting multiple seats near each other) will be the high end ones. They're really good seats, but not everyone wants to spend $110+ a ticket.

If you wait too long, the only tickets that will be left (if you care about getting multiple seats near each other) will be the high end ones. They're really good seats, but not everyone wants to spend $110+ a ticket.

I ended up buying the $52 (I think) ticket last time but used the Club Nintendo code so it dropped to about $40 something after that. Was in the orchestra portion of the hall, but it was fine.

Linkhero1

Could do a meet-up this way I guess...
Possibly but I don't think a lot of people in this thread would go D:

Yeah, I'm just kind of cautious with how I spend my money at the moment. I really want to go but it's out of my budget at the moment.

Possibly but I don't think a lot of people in this thread would go D:

You know what the funny thing is? Many SF Bay gaffers showed up to it last time, and none post in this thread. :p

Heck, even for the Uncharted events that Sony has thrown, many other SF Bay gaffers were there, including Wario64.

Top Bottom