• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Cimarron

"People shouldn't take an entire clip to die either. "

"It is not that it is overpowered, it just delays the inevitable and slows down combat. "

And here we have the heart of the issue. I actually PREFER Halo Reach's pace when compared to Halo 3. I'm not a fan of quick kill times and insta-deaths. I like having an exit strategy. I like having to whittle down and chase my enemies. Offers more sport than "KILL, KILL, KILL, DIE, DIE, DIE!" rinse repeat gameplay. I value 9 hard won kills than 29 quick and dirty ones. To each his own I guess.

casabolg

Banned

"It is not that it is overpowered, it just delays the inevitable and slows down combat. "

And here we have the heart of the issue. I actually PREFER Halo Reach's pace when compared to Halo 3. I'm not a fan of quick kill times and insta-deaths. I like having an exit strategy. I like having to whittle down and chase my enemies. Offers more sport than "KILL, KILL, KILL, DIE, DIE, DIE!" rinse repeat gameplay. I value 9 hard won kills than 29 quick and dirty ones. To each his own I guess.

Basically this. I don't care for Halo but making it a near instagib arena fps 24/7 takes out a lot of strategy. It's painfully obvious that Halo 4 is trying to take the popular elements of Call of Duty in the campaign and multiplayer.

Overdoziz

Banned

I was being sarcastic.

TheOddOne

General reminder about comments made by David and Frank:

- Part 1: Podcast, reveal reactions, Forerunner vision and Wildcard power weapons.

- Part 2: Split between campaign and multi, customizing, Forerunner vision, reveal reactions, instant respawns in objective games and recoil or spread.

- Part 3: This is the most recent post that is still updating.

Falagard

- Part 1: Podcast, reveal reactions, Forerunner vision and Wildcard power weapons.

- Part 2: Split between campaign and multi, customizing, Forerunner vision, reveal reactions, instant respawns in objective games and recoil or spread.

- Part 3: This is the most recent post that is still updating

One of Frankie's answers was about both Armor Lock and Firefight, but the way you've phrased it it sounds like it's just about Armor Lock.

Armor Lock is gone. Spartan Ops will scratch that and other itches.

The "Spartan ops will scratch that and other itches" was in response to "Yeah, no Firefight. Hopefully Spartan Ops can fill that void"

Also, thanks for keeping us informed with things that Frankie and David have answered.

- Part 3: This is the most recent post that is still updating.

When i read this, i really don't see what all the bitching is about.

TheOddOne

One of Frankie's answers was about both Armor Lock and Firefight, but the way you've phrased it it sounds like it's just about Armor Lock.

The "Spartan ops will scratch that and other itches" was in response to "Yeah, no Firefight. Hopefully Spartan Ops can fill that void"

Also, thanks for keeping us informed with things that Frankie and David have answered.
I was actually blinded that Armour Lock confirmed not to be in the game that I totally forgot that :p

Thanks for pointing it out :)

Ryaaan14

Banned
I may have missed it somewhere, but has player speed and jump height been touched on, aside from Sprint being a default ability? Reach slaughtered Halo movement imo. Every time I hop back onto Halo 3 my pants get tight again.

TheOddOne

I may have missed it somewhere, but has player speed and jump height been touched on, aside from Sprint being a default ability? Reach slaughtered Halo movement imo. Every time I hope back onto Halo 3 my pants get tight again.
Nope, nothing has been said so far.

I may have missed it somewhere, but has player speed and jump height been touched on, aside from Sprint being a default ability? Reach slaughtered Halo movement imo. Every time I hop back onto Halo 3 my pants get tight again.

Reach played differently depending on the game-type and mode. I didn't notice a movement slaughter in Reach. How exactly was it bad?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Reach played differently depending on the game-type and mode. I didn't notice a movement slaughter in Reach. How exactly was it bad?

Running felt too aggressive, and jump height took a MAJOR hit and basically felt like you jumped short, fast, and just tucked your legs up under you to compensate for your lost vertical height.

daedalius

Running felt too aggressive, and jump height took a MAJOR hit and basically felt like you jumped short, fast, and just tucked your legs up under you to compensate for your lost vertical height.

From the vidoc it APPEARS that you move and strafe faster(sweet sweet lateral movement unencumbered by terrible inertia), and jump height looks to be increased; however there has been nothing concrete said about such things.

Reach jumps felt right, but you just didn't go high enough. Moonman jumps from H3 weren't good.

I don't care what they do with jump height in Halo 4 as long as it doesn't have that floaty sack-boy like feeling from pre-Reach Halo games. As long as jumping is fast and communicates weight and momentum I'll be a happy fragger.

TheOddOne

From the vidoc it APPEARS that you move and strafe faster(sweet sweet lateral movement unencumbered by terrible inertia), and jump height looks to be increased; however there has been nothing concrete said about such things.
Yeah.

gif3bqadk.gif

gif4pfz4g.gif

Falagard

I don't care what they do with jump height in Halo 4 as long as it doesn't have that floaty sack-boy like feeling from pre-Reach Halo games. As long as jumping is fast and communicates weight and momentum I'll be a happy fragger.

I sorta disagree, pre-reach Halo games defined Halo, and one of those things was the floaty jump. It made Halo be Halo.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I really want to see gameplay of the latest build. Wish they would put up an entire MP match on Wraparound to coincide with the GI reveal.

Ryaaan14

Banned

See, what the fuck? People didn't jump on board with Reach because of "fixed jump height", it was something that people grew to love and they changed it for whatever stupid reason. Hell, 343 modified the jump height with the patch to bring it back to normal, clear sign that it was not a good change.

I sorta disagree, pre-reach Halo games defined Halo, and one of those things was the floaty jump. It made Halo be Halo.
It also turned off a lot of would-be Halo fans as well (including myself). I do think there is a magic middle-ground though, where old school players still get their jump height while adding speed and momentum so that it doesn't feel so featherweight, floaty and strange.

TUROK

Halo Anniversary's playlist had a great feeling jump. It wasn't floaty at all, felt like a real jump. I hope they implement the same thing in 4.

Halo Anniversary's playlist had a great feeling jump. It wasn't floaty at all, felt like a real jump. I hope they implement the same thing in 4.
Come to think of it I agree. I truly noticed the super floaty feel in Halo 3.

I love how a lot of things feel in Anniversary. Also love how much harder jackals are to fight.

daedalius

Yea, great jump when you can't even jump away from a ghost coming to splatter you or any chance of jumping away from a grenade.

I'd rather have Reach jumps than Anniversary jumps.

TUROK

Yea, great jump when you can't even jump away from a ghost coming to splatter you or any chance of jumping away from a grenade.

I'd rather have Reach jumps than Anniversary jumps.
Maybe your timing is off. What I noticed with Anniversary is that you land a lot faster, instead of floating down like a feather. Takes some getting used to, but I like it a lot more.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Just played with a guy who bought back Halo 3 because of all the H4 news. Playing Halo 3 also reminded me how much better it is than Reach.

God so much fail. Sprint doesnt belong in Halo. In H2/H3 when you engaged someone or they engaged you it was a true face off. Both had equal advantage. Now people will be running away, melee nnobs. Its just a mess. And of course now you will have sprint and another AA at the same time? How about camping with Camo, let someone walk past you, sprint and then melee from behind.

Its too COD. What part dont you people get?

God so much fail. Sprint doesnt belong in Halo. In H2/H3 when you engaged someone or they engaged you it was a true face off. Both had equal advantage. Now people will be running away, melee nnobs.

Well, sprint is a basic move now. Everyone has it. No unfair advantage in that.

hao chi

The competitive multi details sound fucking terrible.

Instant respawns - The respawn timer was meant to hurt your team. The 5-10 seconds you're dead is valuable time your team is missing a player and potentially outnumbered, and time the other team can use to collect power weapons and get into an advantageous position.

Random power weapons - Fighting over and controlling power weapons is very important for competitive Halo. Randomizing this adds too much luck to any serious, competitive match.

Whoever compared it to tripping in Brawl: you couldn't be more spot-on.

Armor Abilities - One of the two worst things from Reach returns. Can't fucking wait. Oh, and we can see through walls now? Amazing.

I'll still wait to see more and try it out myself before fully judging it, but I was hoping Halo 4 would go back to the basics and recreate what made Halo good in the first place. So far, not looking so great.

It also turned off a lot of would-be Halo fans as well (including myself). I do think there is a magic middle-ground though, where old school players still get their jump height while adding speed and momentum so that it doesn't feel so featherweight, floaty and strange.

How do you know it turned off a lot of would be halo fans? Reach was the first halo game released that sold worse than its predecessor. So it's not like the changes brought in an influx of new players.

It seems simple to me, people wanted the master chief and they wanted the game to play like halo.

TheOddOne

Summary of the comments made by Frank and David:
  • Not much can be said for now about the multiplayer for now in detail, because Gameinformer has a exclusivity period. (Source)
  • There will be a podcast clarifying some of the multiplayer changes, however the podcast will not release this week and there is no ETA on it. (It has been released and I have written a write-up) (Source)
  • Some of the conclusions reached with the GI article are not entirely accurate, some of the MP items mentioned have been changed since the media visit. This will be clarified in the near future. (Source)
  • 343 knows that some of the changes in multiplayer are going to be controversial in some circles, but they have not made these changes lightly. They have been clearly thought out and will be continued to be tweaked on based on player feedback. (Source)
  • Multiplayer changes that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example). This will be clarified in the future.(Source)
  • Some of the features and abilities (in the article) are being discussed without context. Again, this will be clarified in the future. (Source)
  • 343 promises that it feels like Halo and does not feel or act like other games it’s being compared to. They do understand that people jumped the conclusion fast, but when players play it they will know.(Source)
  • There is no romance forming between Cortana and Master Chief. (Source)
  • Forerunner Vision isn’t really like UAV in COD, this will be clarified in the future. (Source)
  • Weapon drops are not “Random”, they are telegraphed and in some ways, predictable. There is a variation though. (Source)
  • Map control will still be important, but it has changed to some degree. (Source)
  • Custom games will be heavily customizable, and initial playlist will be clean and focused. Players will not be presented with a stack of lists, but there will be a variety of different tastes. (Source 1, Source 2)
  • Halo 4’s Infinity section will feature every aspect of multiplayer, except co-op campaign. (Source)
  • There will be new and traditional modes under Infinity and it will have zero effect on the scale, size, content or appearance of MP spaces. (Source)
  • You cannot use Forerunner Vision to see players anywhere on the map. (Source)
  • Instant respawns will not be enabled in objective based modes. (Source)
  • Visuals for Forerunner Vision are still being worked on. (Source)
  • Nothing will be said about ranking or progression in detail for a while. (Source)
  • Halo 4’s Multiplayer is not using True Skill in the same way Reach did. (Source)
  • Armor Lock is not coming back. (Source)
  • With Firefight not coming back, Spartan ops will scratch that and other itches. (Source)
  • Battle Rifle will be recoil. (Source)
  • Dual Wielding will not be coming back. (Source)
Note: Be sure to check out the source, some things might make more sense in the context of how they where answered.

My guess is that Frank and David are going to keep mum for a while, do not expect more crumbs coming out the community thread. The upcoming podcast seem to be where the next explosion of information is going to come from. For those who don’t know, 343 podcast is named “Sparkast” and can be found via Itunes (I have no idea where they put it on Halo Waypoint).

Also, Gameinformer will be updating their Halo 4 hub all month with all kinds of info; including a interview with 343’s audio director Sotaro Tojima, reveal of the mystery composer of Halo 4 and more (hopefully).

Recarpo

Thanks for the summary post, Oddone. Helps a lot to see it all in one place with the sources too. Any idea if the sparkcast is available in places other than itunes and waypoint or is that it?

TheOddOne

Falagard

Summary of the comments made by Frank and David:

Thanks TheOddOne.

Also, Frankie mentioned a while back that they're making the game customizable so that they can revert to a classic style multiplayer Halo without the new bells and whistles. I don't have the source for it though.

TheOddOne

Thanks TheOddOne.

Also, Frankie mentioned a while back that they're making the game customizable so that they can revert to a classic style multiplayer Halo without the new bells and whistles. I don't have the source for it though.
Yeah, it was commented about three times that the game is highly customizable. I only found the one about custom games and the one backedup by David.

H3xum

Just awful. So many awful things.

Sprint shouldn't be base, get your CoD out of my Halo.

Seeing through walls? Way to take any element of skill out of the game.

The power weapon random spawn is absurd.

I don't want to know why MP is happening, that takes a lot out of it.

I am thoroughly disappointed.

Falagard

Yeah, it was commented about three times that the game is highly customizable. I only found the one about custom games and the one backedup by David.

Ah cool, actually that is already in your list so nevermind.

I wish they would make up their mind on dual wielding. It makes no sense story wise why this feature keeps changing game to game.

I personally don't give a shit if it makes sense from a story perspective, I want the game to be the best game it can be without being shackled by questions like "why can you duel wield in Halo 3 but not in Halo 4?". Basically, if the game plays better without dual wielding, then that's enough of answer for me.

(I'm actually one of the minority who thinks dual wielding is fun if implemented correctly though).

Homeboyd

Wow oddone, thanks!
Thanks TheOddOne.

I read this too a while back. Was mentioned long before the GI reveal but can't find the source either (can't be bothered to go look). But they definitely mentioned it.

I wonder how the customization in custom games compares from Reach to H4 because you can say that Reach's custom games are currently "heavily customizable." So we can't really put any significance into what he said until we can compare it to something.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just awful. So many awful things.

Sprint shouldn't be base, get your CoD out of my Halo.

Seeing through walls? Way to take any element of skill out of the game.

The power weapon random spawn is absurd.

I don't want to know why MP is happening, that takes a lot out of it.

I am thoroughly disappointed.

Why is sprinting "CoD?" Almost every modern shooter has some form of running or sprinting. Going back to Halo games after playing other shooters just made you feel slow as hell. The base movement speed coupled with the animations make it look like you are casually walking around maps in the heat of battle, Spartans should be able to run.

Top Bottom