• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So you're telling me I absolutely destroyed some player with my superior gun skills. I'm wanting to keep the flow and speed of the game intact. I want to kill him and move on to the objective or other enemies.

Let's address one common AL defense. Moving on to another player. LOLOLOLOL Yeah because they're stuck in Armor Lock for the full 3 seconds right? I've tried that strategy. When I start ignoring them they pop back out and start shooting me. That's not a strategy. BUT WAIT. EVEN IF I WERE TO DO THAT EVERYTIME, AND THEY DIDNT POP OUT AND SHOOT BACK.... THAT MEANS THEY LITERALLY ESCAPED BEING OUTSKILLED BY ME BY PRESSING A BUTTON. SUPER LEGIT TACTICOOL.

Now let's address another. Wait for them to come out, nade them etc. You you're telling me what Armor Lock is, is a delay the inevitable button? Awesome gameplay mechanic bro. It means I have to sit somewhere, probably vulnerable from my fight with them, and wait until I can time a grenade? WAIT WAIT WAIT. By then I might be dead. Even if I'm not I've wasted time on someone who SHOULD BE COUNTING DOWN TO RESPAWN.

It serves no purpose other than giving players a save me button when they couldn't save themselves.
Saving this post for future AL arguments.

Truant

Glad I don't have the time to play multiplayer, because you all seem pretty upset. Campaign is where it's at. Or, it was back in the Halo:CE days. Excited to see what this new superstudio will bring to the table.

Yeah lets play a failed playlist guys and have a bad armor ability in all of the other playlists!

I can understand why MLG or the dedicated player base hates it but I play casually. So sure a separate playlist(that includes armorlock) for the more casual players sounds reasonable. If you don't like the ability just stay out of that playlist. It almost too easy. ;)

Why on earth would you make sprint standard?

Everybody's whining how AL slooows the game down, well how about the lack of a proper sprint? It would help to speed the game up, no?

Why are you opposed to sprint?

Overdoziz

Banned
So the complaint against armor lock is it slows the game down. So whats the argument against sprint?

Why are you opposed to sprint?

Here:
Not having sprint punishes bad decisions more. Having sprint is like a safety-net for people who make mistakes. "Oh I'm losing this 1v1 DMR battle, I'd better run!". Now is running away not a bad thing at all, but sprint increases the amount of occasions in which this becomes a successful tactic drastically. "But you have sprint too, you can follow him" You say. The way it works in Reach (and in Halo 4 too if the current footage is to be believed) is that you can't shoot while sprinting. This means that the person running away can get away by keeping on sprinting while the pursuer has to stop sprinting to start shooting which causes the target to run away even further. Following people around corners isn't a good tactic anyway, it gets you killed. At long range this isn't even a possibility either.

So you can understand that especially on close quarter maps (think Countdown in Reach) sprint can be really be an annoyance. I really don't see why people want sprint anyway. Give me a good base movement speed (think Halo 2) and I'm set.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why on earth would you make sprint standard?

Well, this is one I actually agree with.

Spartans are supposed to be as fast as cars, yet I am casually strolling around the battlefield without a care in the world. Sprint is one of the things the game has needed, glad 4 will have it standard.

Well, this is one I actually agree with.

Spartans are supposed to be as fast as cars, yet I am casually strolling around the battlefield without a care in the world. Sprint is one of the things the game has needed, glad 4 will have it standard.
Yeah me too. If it were up to me sprint and jetpack would be standard on all Spartans. But then I don't play competitively, just thinking about making the campaign more fun.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So canon > gameplay? Okay.

Not all the time, no. I feel the gameplay has suffered from the lack of sprint. You take forever to get back in the action when respawning, you cannot move from cover to cover to avoid sniper/DMR/BR/Rocket fire easily, and the game just feels slow overall without it.

Yeah, some may not agree, but that's why it's my opinion. I love the franchise, and will play either way, but you feel so incredibly slow in Halo now that it bothers me.

Yeah me too. If it were up to me sprint and jetpack would be standard on all Spartans. But then I don't play competitively, just thinking about making the campaign more fun.

In Campaign, Spartans should be able to have 2 different AAs at once, with Sprint standard.

I'm actually kinda serious, now that I think about it.

But yeah, in mp, no AAs, or sprint. Increased movement speed> all

daedalius

Maybe sprint won't feel so bad in H4 since we are probably going back to 4sk with the BR; and it looks like it fires pretty fast, more like h2 than h3.

But seriously what is with the armor lock defense force? That ability is absolute garbage in vanilla, and only marginally tolerable in TU because you can knock people out of it with a grenade (although you're basically wasting a grenade just to pop some scrub out of AL).

How anyone can look at a team of 4, all with armor lock, trading locks, and say its ok... well I just don't understand.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
In Campaign, Spartans should be able to have 2 different AAs at once, with Sprint standard.

I'm actually kinda serious, now that I think about it.

But yeah, in mp, no AAs, or sprint. Increased movement speed> all

You know, I think I could actually deal with increased movement speed instead of sprint. It would be nice to see an animation change though, so it doesn't look like you are speed walking from a first person perspective.

Make the base speed faster, but give the animation the different look of walk to jog/run. That may go miles to help.

Glad I don't have the time to play multiplayer, because you all seem pretty upset. Campaign is where it's at. Or, it was back in the Halo:CE days. Excited to see what this new superstudio will bring to the table.
None of the other campaigns get any recognition around here (except for maybe ODST). Le sigh.

Overdoziz

Banned
You know, I think I could actually deal with increased movement speed instead of sprint. It would be nice to see an animation change though, so it doesn't look like you are speed walking from a first person perspective.

Make the base speed faster, but give the animation the different look of walk to jog/run. That may go miles to help.
Yeah the animation definitely makes or breaks the deal.

Not having sprint punishes bad decisions more. Having sprint is like a safety-net for people who make mistakes. "Oh I'm losing this 1v1 DMR battle, I'd better run!". Now is running away not a bad thing at all, but sprint increases the amount of occasions in which this becomes a successful tactic drastically. "But you have sprint too, you can follow him" You say. The way it works in Reach (and in Halo 4 too if the current footage is to be believed) is that you can't shoot while sprinting. This means that the person running away can get away by keeping on sprinting while the pursuer has to stop sprinting to start shooting which causes the target to run away even further. Following people around corners isn't a good tactic anyway, it gets you killed. At long range this isn't even a possibility either.

So you can understand that especially on close quarter maps (think Countdown in Reach) sprint can be really be an annoyance. I really don't see why people want sprint anyway. Give me a good base movement speed (think Halo 2) and I'm set.

I can agree with this regarding the smaller maps, however, sprint is definitely needed on the BTB maps. It takes far too long to get into the fray.

for the record I believe Halo 2 had the best MP. I think that when Halo moved to the 360 the scale has been too large.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah the animation definitely makes or breaks the deal.

I think that may be the bigger problem. If the animations from first person were better, in that they could show the transition from base walk to jog based on analog stick pressure you may not notice the lack of sprint as much. With the animations the way they were up through 3 it felt like you were "mall walking" across the maps, and not in any real hurry to get anywhere.

I can agree with this regarding the smaller maps, however, sprint is definitely needed on the BTB maps. It takes far too long to get into the fray.

for the record I believe Halo 2 had the best MP. I think that when Halo moved to the 360 the scale has been too large.

That's what teleporters and mancannons are for. I think you were never too far away from any action in Halo 2 or Halo 3.

So canon > gameplay? Okay.

We don't know specifics, but what if Sprinting depletes shield? This would basically balance out the problem you stated of someone sprinting away when outmatched. Without sacrificing your own sprint, it would make killing the guy easier since his shield is depleting as hi sprints away and you have a clean shot at him from behind without sprinting after him.

We don't know specifics, but what if Sprinting depletes shield? This would basically balance out the problem you stated of someone sprinting away when outmatched. Without sacrificing your own sprint, it would make killing the guy easier since his shield is depleting as hi sprints away and you have a clean shot at him from behind without sprinting after him.
There are a variety of ways to balance sprint, but as far as we know, it's unchanged from Reach, which is where part of the resistance is coming from.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
There are a variety of ways to balance sprint, but as far as we know, it's unchanged from Reach, which is where part of the resistance is coming from.

Because of the fundamental problem: it's sprinting... In a halo game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What? Actually, size wise, Halo 2 had larger maps than Halo 3 outside of Sandtrap and that map was never dull (quality aside).

Even waterworks was fun... For those long walks when your team mates took off with the tank, warthogs, ghost and banshee

Damn teammates.

scently

This. *internet high five*

What? Actually, size wise, Halo 2 had larger maps than Halo 3 outside of Sandtrap and that map was never dull (quality aside).

No the scale was off. It could have been the change from 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9.
In H2 I felt like I(my onscreen spartan) was much larger in relation to the map size whereas now with H3 and Reach I feel significantly smaller. I feel like I'm spending more time running to get into a firefight then I am actually spending in a firefight.

Halo 3's maps were also more open. Halo 3's maps felt like it was more balanced to favor battle rifle gameplay and really ignored the CQB gameplay.

Yeah, no Firefight. Hopefully Spartan Ops can fill that void.

Spartan Ops will scratch that and other itches.

FUCK. YES.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a Firefight esque variant of each Spartan Ops mission every week. The way the article worded it implied that whilst their would be a singular piece of content unlocked each week, there would also be multiple objectives and missions associated with that.

I'd wager that whilst the main bulk of Spartan Ops will be the narrative focused, traditional style missions, certain set pieces and environments will be cut from that for you to digest in alternative ways. Similar to how Firefight spaces were built into and extracted from the Campaign, I could imagine the same thing happening with Spartan Ops.

Although the idea of getting a Spartan Op and what is essentially a Firefight map, each week, seems implausible.

I feel like the Spartan Ops will essentially be Firefight arenas mixed in with something similar to Syndicate's co-op mp levels. Fight your way into an arena, defend / attack, then fight out. Perhaps Reach-style daily & weekly challenges will relate to the SOps creating multiple objectives, bounties, or mission variants. Something to reward or direct multiple play-throughs. This is really becoming my most anticipated part of the H4 package.

Agree that getting a new map each week seems implausible, but the whole Spartan Ops package sounds a little implausible, so who knows? Episodic content finally done right? We'll see!

Tawpgun

So the complaint against armor lock is it slows the game down. So whats the argument against sprint?

Not sure if the new settings kept bleed through in or not.

But... originally melee's could only kill if you had NO shields. That means you can shoot a guy a bunch, but if he has a SLIVER of shields left and you melee, it only knocks out shields. All other Halo games could have you get their shields low and THEN melee through them into the health to kill them.

With sprint a really viable tactic if your enemy was mid-close and they got the first shot at you was to sprint up to them, melee, and you'd be on even ground, trying to get the last headshot. So that sucked and was annoying. People would either rush at you to melee. The best was a ultimate noob tactic of Sprint -> Melee -> Grenade. You essentially became an annoying inescapable suicide bombed since the person you rush can't sprint backwards or anything.

Another terrible thing it did was fuck with the base movement speed. In Halo 2 and even 3 you still felt fast despite not having sprint. Halo 2 especially. They can't make sprint TOO absurdly fast, so they dial down the base movement speed and slow the game down. You can GET to places faster in Reach but the actual COMBAT was slowed down because strafing was gimped. Not to mention people being able to run away easily.

I can deal with sprint. Necessary evil brought about by CoD that now every fucking shooter needs to have apparently.

I can understand why MLG or the dedicated player base hates it but I play casually. So sure a separate playlist(that includes armorlock) for the more casual players sounds reasonable. If you don't like the ability just stay out of that playlist. It almost too easy. ;)
Good thing that's basically what happened. Reach came out and people immediatley new Armor Lock was shit and needed to go. It took them a while, but they ended up removing it from most playlists. It stayed in Team Slayer but that's ok since Team Slayer was basically the casual version of Squad Slayer. There were more playlists but it was usually the fringe ones like Invasion, BTB (RIP) and Multi Team.

I didn't play Halo 3 MP because I hated the maps and the way the gameplay felt like if heavily favored the BR.

This explains so much.

GloveSlap

I've said it before, but I still think you should only be able to sprint if you have a full shield. You would still be able to get places faster and it would stop all the running away in mid-fight.

Chuck Bosworth

Neo Member
I'll wait for that podcast before making my mind up about anything. I trust 343 knows what they're doing. Obviously they won't kill the franchise.

Petrichor

maybe if armor lock restricted the player's POV to first person then it wouldn't be so overpowered (player looking at ground)? There would still be a benefit to using it i.e when a ghost is charging or if you're about to get stuck, but you'd put yourself at much more of a disadvantage by using it (not knowing whether the other player is still there or not)

maybe if armor lock restricted the player's POV to first person then it wouldn't be so overpowered (player looking at ground)? There would still be a benefit to using it i.e when a ghost is charging or if you're about to get stuck, but you'd put yourself at much more of a disadvantage by using it (not knowing whether the other player is still there or not)

It is not that it is overpowered, it just delays the inevitable and slows down combat.

Top Bottom