• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

jb1234

This boss. Wow. This entire area (
City of Tears)
has been a massive difficulty spike. Mixed with the gorgeous music and art design, this is definitely my favorite area so far.

(Despite the rage.)

Stoze

This boss. Wow. This entire area (
City of Tears)
has been a massive difficulty spike. Mixed with the gorgeous music and art design, this is definitely my favorite area so far.

(Despite the rage.)

Yeah I just beat the first boss there, really cool area. The flying
lancer bugs and the soul wizard guys
will fuck you up if you're not paying attention.

jb1234

Yeah I just beat the first boss there, really cool area. The flying
lancer bugs and the soul wizard guys
will fuck you up if you're not paying attention.

Yeah,
it's the dudes that teleport around and shoot bullets at you
that have been slaughtering me. That and the boss at the end of the area,
who of course is a larger version of that enemy type and even nastier.

I played seven hours of the game today and I never do that anymore. It really has sunk its fangs in.

bumpkin

I've tried asking to no avail.

Perhaps we will hear something at the Nindie Direct.
Hopefully.

Not to change the subject, but I really hope we get release timing for Yooka Laylee on Switch during the Direct too. I'd love for it to be day-and-date with every other platform (4/11), but I'm not holding my breath.

jb1234

the time on my save says 2h30 minutes but the time played on steam is only 90 mins

hmm

Yeah, my game time has been all over the place. I started one session at 5h30 (when Steam claimed 4) and then when I finished, the game claimed I was at 5h15 (lined up with Steam).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So any word on switch version other the "later this year" this would have been an amazing launch game for download

If I were to guess, I'd say that it probably won't enter development until the Mac and Linux versions are out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If I were to guess, I'd say that it probably won't enter development until the Mac and Linux versions are out.

Why are you here so much? There's no stealth in this game!

Cerium

Hopefully.

Not to change the subject, but I really hope we get release timing for Yooka Laylee on Switch during the Direct too. I'd love for it to be day-and-date with every other platform (4/11), but I'm not holding my breath.

I will be content with direct feed footage of Snake Pass. That game is probably going to be the most visually impressive game on the platform until... hell, maybe Mario Odyssey.

Have a distinct feeling that Yooka-Laylee is going to disappoint. Expectations were too high, Unity is making a mess, and the devs seem like they might be in over their heads.

Any news about Hollow Knight will be appreciated though. I'm really worried about how the trailer and recent PR don't even mention the Switch.

Elixist

I luv this game. Luv the aesthetic, npcs, sound, feel of the char/combat. Seems like the camera is less rigid compared to beta. Less than three.

OhCrapItsJeremy

Neo Member
So incredibly blown away by this game. The platforming is TIGHT. When pull your finger off the jump button you immediately descend. The NPC's are all interesting and I love that Ori / Dark Souls / Zelda vibe of pure exploration. Can't wait to explore more.

Wok

That framerate stutter is a literal killer, especially during boss fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxT8npe9b9s&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, making progress. Not sure where to place this city crest, but now I can buy a key. Defeated a couple more bosses. I really do like the combat, even if it's simple. The animations and character designs are top-notch.

I used my key in the cemetery: it was a huge disappointment, nothing to receive there, only regret!

I should have used the key for the tramway slot.

Can someone tell me whether the combat is like metroid/igavania (where most movement can be quick cancelled) or more like guacamelee/valdis (where you're more committed once you've made a move)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
holy fuck
greenpath
holy fuck, so dam gorgeous, the waterfall bench area, all dat parallax. hnnnggg

Yeah, the game certainly has its moments. I've actually taken a screenshot of every bench I've encountered thus far (well, minus one towards the beginning of the 'nest that I'll return to later). I intend to catalogue them all.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I can't believe this is out! Been following this game's development for so long.
Help me out GAF - got a tight budget this month: Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight?

Nere

I can't believe this is out! Been following this game's development for so long.
Help me out GAF - got a tight budget this month: Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight?

From what little I have played I would say Hollow Knight. I consider Shovel Knight to be a good game but really overrated and it is extremely small, like 3-4 hours.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just played about 45 mins of it, explored around until I got to the first major boss (didnt fight him yet, went back to town to cash in cause I need some sleep) and bought all the map stuff except the charm. I have a lot to say about it already but Ill leave that for later, lets just say this feels special already, it felt special from the get go really when you re walking to town and the credits are crolling by like its a epic movie. the amount of care that this shows is ridiculous, the game feels... it feels "expensive", from the graphics, the sound, the production values, the systems, it feels like what I imagine a "triple A" 2d game would be if that makes sense.

I cant believe this is 15 ($ or € you choose) in a time where most indie games charge 20 or more for their shitty ass 4 hour games, in a time where 15 is the new 10 and 25 is the new 15. Team Cherry is embarrasing a lot of devs and publishers out there (I have a long standing feud with indie game prices the last couple of years so this one hits me where it tickles me most).

Anyway I really need some sleep, hopefully ill get a good couple of hours into it later before work. Will have some proper impressions tonight for those that care.

edit: oh and no stutter at all, and load times are super short (the 2 problems some of you peeps have been talking about), not sure if thts just because im early on or I just lucked out.

Rhete

Banned

Shovel Knight, if you buy it now you get the additional campaigns for free. Once Specter Knight comes out you'll have to buy them individually

FiraB

Banned
Great game but holy shit do they need to work out what's causing that shutter, it makes boss fights terrible when you actually need that precision.

jb1234

edit: oh and no stutter at all, and load times are super short (the 2 problems some of you peeps have been talking about), not sure if thts just because im early on or I just lucked out.

It's definitely been getting more noticeable for me in later areas. It got me killed at least twice during a boss.

I only played this for about 10 minutes today, and I won't really be able to dig in until next week, but I'm really liking it so far. Beautiful art, and really good game feel I'm finding.

Can't wait to play more!

Vertti

After gaining some movement abilites the game got more enjoyable. Now there some nice platforming which was kinda lacking in the first few hours.

Well that's pretty typical to many metroidvanias. For example Aria of Sorrow, a really fine game starts pretty poorly but gets much better after the first hour and a half.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
From what little I have played I would say Hollow Knight. I consider Shovel Knight to be a good game but really overrated and it is extremely small, like 3-4 hours.
thanks for the reply!

Shovel Knight, if you buy it now you get the additional campaigns for free. Once Specter Knight comes out you'll have to buy them individually
how do I add the additional campaigns? do they automatically come with my (steam) purchase?

Top Bottom