• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
No problem :)

They got patched in. You run the game and choose which one you want to play at the opening screen. They will be available for separate purchase later but not yet.

thanks!
Shovel Knight it is! For now! Will get this game later on.

Five

Banned
Thanks I have no clue how I missed that..... I also have no clue how can you remember the entire game so well:D

I dunno. I ran around a lot in pre-release, and then I watched a lot of streams today. But even when we were testing some of the other players said I appeared to know my way around better than they did. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thanks!
Shovel Knight it is! For now! Will get this game later on.

I'm kinda surprised there are people who haven't played Shovel Knight at this point, but enjoy! Hollow Knight will still be here when you have time for it :)

Elixist

Yeah, the game certainly has its moments. I've actually taken a screenshot of every bench I've encountered thus far (well, minus one towards the beginning of the 'nest that I'll return to later). I intend to catalogue them all.

noice. you'll hafta share some pics with the class when your done :p

man i love the artstyle so much, might hafta dust off my pencils and do a fanpiece.

also
hornet
fight was dope, gave me some mega man vibes soo good.gif

nynt9

Wow, I missed this OT. Been very excited for this game, and every time it came up it seemed people were excited too! Where's the hype? Does it live up to expectations? I haven't seen any reviews or impressions.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'm kinda surprised there are people who haven't played Shovel Knight at this point, but enjoy! Hollow Knight will still be here when you have time for it :)

yeah I kinda neglected it for other games, which I regret.
btw, do I have to finish the original campaign for the others to show up?

Five

Banned
Is there any way to write yourself in the map? Having my own notes would be really helpful.

Sadly no.

Wow, I missed this OT. Been very excited for this game, and every time it came up it seemed people were excited too! Where's the hype? Does it live up to expectations? I haven't seen any reviews or impressions.

By most accounts it's even better than expectations. If you like what the trailer is showing then you're going to have a blast.

yeah I kinda neglected it for other games, which I regret.
btw, do I have to finish the original campaign for the others to show up?

I would guess not but I actually don't know, seeing as I had already completed the game multiple times before Plague of Shadows came out.

Vhalyar

I'm stuck in the top right area
Crystal Peak

Any idea how I'm supposed to proceed?
The path I fell in is unusable, the path in the darkness has a door blocking me, and in Crystal Peak itself I don't see any way to proceed past the remaining areas.

e. Problem solved.

jimboton

Really enjoying it so far. This could end up among my favourite metroidvanias ever.

Can someone tell me whether the combat is like metroid/igavania (where most movement can be quick cancelled) or more like guacamelee/valdis (where you're more committed once you've made a move)

I'd say more like igavania in that respect.

Massive. Gorgeous. Challenging. Impeccably polished. Lives up to expectations or surpasses them

Vhalyar

I'm done with the game until the devs fix the stutter issue. I'm at one particular area where I'm expected to do a long sequence of very precise timed actions, but the game goes on a stutter spree right there and all it takes is one failure to basically kill you. Not willing to stomach a minute of loading screens and trekking back, just to get screwed over at random.

The game is amazingly fun outside of the stuttering.

Tieske

Neo Member
Is the
fog
area the right place to go after the
grass
place?

I don't know, but I got into a
fungal area
by crossing a gap with the
dash
in the bottom-left corner of the forgotten crossroads

Felt a bit lost before that too, but I think I have a lot to explore now in said area

2nd area was amazing. Loved the music.

AGH HOLY SHIT

I NEED GIFS

GIFS OF CUTE BUGS

omg this cute little mining bug that stutters

OMG THIS CUTE LITTLE WORM IN A GLASS BOTTLE THAT GETS EXCITED WHEN I JUMP NEAR IT BUT WHEN I CAN'T REACH THE LEDGE IT LETS OUT A SAD NOISE OH GOD

*hyperventilates*
Saving a grub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhpivimbeM

hollow_knight_saving_a_grub_by_digi_matrix-db0bbmh.gif

Look how excited they get when you come near
hollow_knight_grub_by_digi_matrix-db0bbna.gif

I know I'm being annoying and repeating it a lot but I literally can't get over how cute everything is

I have a weakness for cute things and this game is destroying me

HelloMeow

You're doing downwards attacks off them right? They worked great for me.

Yeah, but it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it doesn't attack, sometimes it doesn't do a downwards attack, sometimes it does and you don't bounce and it's very unpredictable which direction it bounces you in. Feels very unresponsive.

Stoze

Yeah, but it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it doesn't attack, sometimes it doesn't do a downwards attack, sometimes it does and you don't bounce and it's very unpredictable which direction it bounces you in. Feels very unresponsive.

If I remember correctly the mushrooms will always shoot you straight up vertically if you downwards attack them and don't move. All movement in the air immediately after hitting them is controlled by you. If you're using a stick to move you may be dropping inputs since there's only 4 directions for moving/slashing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
first pet peeve (just because I love it doesnt meant I wont bitch about stuff lol), I actually like the map system but there is NO reason for your location on it to be behind a charm, since you have so little slots to use them anyway. That is super annoying.

Getting to spend some time with this and I still love it. I am surprised sometimes at how precise your character control is - to the point where I find myself trying to compensate for momentum when it isn't there. I think once I get used to it, it'll be great.

Also saved a grub and it's adorable. This game is so charming.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
man this stuttering is killing my enjoyment

First, another note on the game:
The first time you get to the room with the big pile of empty cocoons and the father at the top of them crying. Man. The feels. The sorrow. I wanted to help him so badly and I went and saved one of his children! YES! THIS GAME!!!

Don't want to turn this into a trouble shooting thread for the game but what are your specs and settings?

I'm running an ancient i5-3330 cpu @ 3.00ghz, 8 gig memory 64bit processing, Windows 8, Asus 970 superclocked and getting 60fps at 1080p with a very, very few and far between 1 or 2 frame drops when there's a lot of action on screen. IE, the game is basically silky smooth for me.

Perhaps I can help

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
game turns a simple
journal (like a enemy glossary)
that any game has into a "thing", a pretty cool moment in fact. This game man...

music in this grassy area is so Disney-esque

jett

D-Member
This game is early candidate for GOTY, def poised to be the indie darling of 2017. Just flat out awesome. If you're jonesing for Metroid game this is it. And how does it look so effin' good.

Stoze

Oh wow, if you defeat (boss)
Mantis Lords
, the
mantis in the area become friendly and the non-flying ones even bow to you.
This game man.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
This game is early candidate or GOTY, def poised to be the indie darling of 2017. Just flat out awesome. If you're jonesing for Metroid game this is it. And how does it look so effin' good.

I feel the same way. Everything just clicks perfectly. As already mentioned, even the encounters with the NPCs are something special. The writing is superb and there's at least one NPC
Staring at the huge egg with 3 distinct patterns on it who has a ton of follow up/different comments when you activate the speech for it. Try it if you haven't already.

Music, atmosphere, amazing hand drawn graphics, old school parallax scrolling. Spot on controls. It's already a GOTY candidate for me for this year(I know it's early but Hollow Knight gets first honors from me!).

Metroid

So, how long is this game? I have a busy schedule next week, and Friday is Zelda time so I wondered if I can squeeze it in before that.

Anno

This game is really special. I don't understand how a group of just a few people put so much polish and charm into a game that's apparently massive. There's always one or two little extra touches on everything that they didn't need to do but make it so much more enjoyable.

And it's $15! That's a crime. I hope that word gets out about this game and it sells and sells.

So, how long is this game? I have a busy schedule next week, and Friday is Zelda time so I wondered if I can squeeze it in before that.

Playtesters have been saying 30ish hours to 100%. There's an achievement for "speedrunning" it to 100% in less than 20 hours if that's any indication.

Silvawuff

Really enjoying this game so far. It definitely has a good learning curve to it and rewards developing skill/learning controls. I agree that the map system is kind of annoying but it is what it is.

This game is a gem that needs more hype!

DrArchon

Any tips on beating
Soul Master
?

I beat the first phase no problem, but the second phase is kicking my ass. I never have any chance to heal because he attacks so relentlessly. Getting to him is also a pain in the ass because the wizards never leave me alone.

Also, probably my biggest complaint about this game so far is that I'm really getting tired of so many games doing the Souls thing of "Oh you drop all of your stuff on death, better go get it back". I get that it's the popular thing to do for any difficult game nowadays, but there's so much good stuff in this game, did they really need to rip that off from the Souls games? It's not like the game wouldn't be hard if I didn't feel the need to keep trying the same challenges over and over again to get my geos back.

Also, whoever said that you can find the map guy in each area is lying. I've gotten through a huge part of the
Castle of Tears
and there's no sign of him.

jb1234

Any tips on beating
Soul Master
?

I beat the first phase no problem, but the second phase is kicking my ass. I never have any chance to heal because he attacks so relentlessly. Getting to him is also a pain in the ass because the wizards never leave me alone.

I wasn't able to beat that asshole until I upgraded my weapon at the blacksmith. Have you tried that yet?

Also,
the map guy is there. He's just a bit later in the level, which is annoying.

Top Bottom