• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I really wanted to like this. It's legit scary and does a lot of really novel and interesting meta stuff. Unfortunately all that is buried under a layer of tedious puzzles that got worse and worse as the game continued. I (nearly) reached the end, but then it turns out I need all the achievements for the true end, so I'd have to replay the game and get the missing ones... And then I just said it's not worth it and gave up.
There's a lot of great somewhere in there, but ultimately I leave frustrated.

Freezard

Capcom bundle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Freezard, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-649DF011FAF725B1 - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil 6 -- MB-7DB17E402D1D1EBF - Taken by TheLight. 12 entrants total.
Resident Evil 0 HD REMASTER -- MB-77351D26C908266C - Taken by Jadax. 26 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-27636DF5C5899EB9 - Taken by PaulSane. 1 entrants total.

t1500753171z1.png

haendeul

worst one is the swamp area tho

it's like valley of defilement but without any redeeming qualities to it lol

Swamp wasn't so bad after I learned you can use the dagger weapon art to skate all over it. It was over so quick in my second playthrough.

oni-link

Yeah I think I'm gonna drop Valkyria Chronicles

13 hours in and then this desert tank mission ruins it

I got to the part where the superboss gets an invincible teammate that can 1 shot your team from all over the map and still had one weak point to go before the actual superboss could be harmed and thought, fuck this

This game is legitimately unfair, which is a shame, because the mechanics are great, it's just been designed by a sadist

Jawmuncher

I got to the part where the superboss gets an invincible teammate that can 1 shot your team from all over the map and still had one weak point to go before the actual superboss could be harmed and thought, fuck this

This game is legitimately unfair, which is a shame, because the mechanics are great, it's just been designed by a sadist
That's the worst mission in the game. But yeah I felt in general the mission design wasn't as good as VC2.

Kaleinc

Banned

It would be unfair if you couldn't save at any moment during your turn.

Popstar

Got a Civ IV that doesn't work in Europe. Not sure what it's restricted to.
Doesn't seem to work in NA (Canada) either.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Civilization IV Complete -- MB-49876B4343B3AFA5 - Taken by Natty1

oni-link

It would be unfair if you couldn't save at any moment during your turn.

Well it's bad design then

I've looked up a few guides and they even recommend saving before you fire and reloading if you miss, and even admitting some parts of the mission are down to luck

If that's what is coming from people who are writing guides on how to beat the mission, then it's a terribly designed mission

"Yeah but you can save scum" doesn't justify it being poorly designed in the first place

zkylon

zkylewd
Swamp wasn't so bad after I learned you can use the dagger weapon art to skate all over it. It was over so quick in my second playthrough.
i guess, but i stand by there not being anything interesting to that level

like 5-2 had really good lore and was connected to 5-1 which is an awesome level and maiden astraea which is an awesome character

swamp area in dks3 is like the lamest me-too shit ever

Natty1

Didn't work for me, thanks anyway.
Hopefully it works for the next person.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Civilization IV Complete -- MB-567F2E8DB578D2B6 - Taken by PaulSane

Lain

Well it's bad design then

I've looked up a few guides and they even recommend saving before you fire and reloading if you miss, and even admitting some parts of the mission are down to luck

If that's what is coming from people who are writing guides on how to beat the mission, then it's a terribly designed mission

"Yeah but you can save scum" doesn't justify it being poorly designed in the first place

I beat the mission (on PS3) on the first or second try from what I remember (talking about the mission against the tank where Selvaria shows up, right?). Might have been a second try after experiencing the sandstorm and stuff.

Sending scouts out to uncover parts of the map and taking care of enemies (because scouts rule), keeping your tank buster force under cover thanks to terrain (and if I remember right, the tank itself acts as cover against Selvaria) and making good use of orders should be enough to complete the mission with maybe a few casualties, but as long as you complete the battle before the corpses turn dead-dead or enemies reach them, then it's still fine.

Tizoc

Watch a video of it getting s ranked
It is what i did and i bet the battles

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-F891C995EA4DF6D6 - Taken by Nabs
t1cxE6r.gif
Galactic Civilizations 3 -- MB-71ABC6E3C36F6745 - Taken by longlivegaming
t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil 6 -- MB-BA483965F45FB54C - Taken by redlacs
t1cxE6r.gif
Umbrella Corps -- MB-3D301C4A73AD6138 - Taken by dot
Simple Planes -- MB-38F367E2BB54BC26 - Taken by anastef
Strider -- MB-9F180850890AFCF7 - Taken by Zeknurn
Umbrella Corps Deluxe Edition Upgrade Pack -- MB-451DE7E65E910771 - Taken by spindoctor

Hektor

Just finished the Crystal Tower Raid-Series in FFXIV.

They did a really fantastic job at translation it into both 3D Graphics and MMo-Gameplay.

Hopefully Return to Ivalice will be just as good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh we talking about the tank mission in Valk? Yeah that's where I stopped playing back on PS3 lol.

Granted I didnt really read about it or go online to see what the deal wise I think, It was such a out of nowhere difficulty spike that after a few tries I think I just went "yeah im good" and never touched it again.

GMG updated their flash deals.

Pretty decent. Finally jumped on the Hitman train -- getting it for ~$20 was my tipping point. Worked out to $20.40 in the cart, which I think is a historical low (
aside from price mistakes
).

Some decent deals on Just Cause 3 XL (i.e. game + season pass), Sniper Elite 4, and Left 4 Dead bundle (for the 5 people who don't have them already).

SUMMER2017 voucher still works, although it's only 15% off now, not 20%.

GMG updated their flash deals.

Pretty decent. Finally jumped on the Hitman train -- getting it for ~$20 was my tipping point. Worked out to $20.40 in the cart, which I think is a historical low (
aside from price mistakes
).

Some decent deals on Just Cause 3 XL (i.e. game + season pass), Sniper Elite 4, and Left 4 Dead bundle (for the 5 people who don't have them already).

SUMMER2017 voucher still works, although it's only 15% off now, not 20%.

I don't understand how the flash deals work. I bought Hitman from GMG a couple of days ago for $24. That's the exact same price it is now as a flash deal, not counting the voucher. Are the flash deals not cheaper than the normal sale prices?

Dec

I don't understand how the flash deals work. I bought Hitman from GMG a couple of days ago for $24. That's the exact same price it is now as a flash deal, not counting the voucher. Are the flash deals not cheaper than the normal sale prices?

I think they are the same but you get 25% off the sale price if it's a flash deal.

Though Quantum Break was only 10% off yesterday on GMG and is now 50% + 25% off the sale price.

Edit: oh they reduced it to 15%.

Tizoc

Thats what happens when you make a dino crisis thread like every other week. Now he must embrace being a meme

No it's more that you peeps can't stfu and ignore his posts that don't share your opinion :v

Jaw doesn't make DC-related threads every week, and that thread was made by a SteamGAFfer :v

Teggy

we had a cool conversation at work about two of my favorite games today, dark souls and thief, and it was weird trying to explain them to people that never played them and were asking me for similar games to offer as an example

for dark souls the best examples i could find were castlevania and metroid, but i'm not super pleased with those responses, specially metroid.

If my friend told me to go play Dark Souls because I liked Castlevania that person would not be my friend anymore.

MUnited83

For you.
No it's more that you peeps can't stfu and ignore his posts that don't share your opinion :v

Jaw doesn't make DC-related threads every week, and that thread was made by a SteamGAFfer :v

He does have 29 threads with Dino Crisis in the title
which is a higher number than the people interested on Dino Crisis in 2017 :p

Tonton

Dino Crisis is just like Crash, people keep saying nobody cares about it but when it comes back Regina will DOMINATE the charts

Mark my words

oni-link

That's the worst mission in the game. But yeah I felt in general the mission design wasn't as good as VC2.

Ok so after posting I was going to drop the game earlier, I decided to give the stupid tank mission in Valkyria Chronicles one more go, this time using a guide (which my gf read out to me since I hate playing games with a guide)

I managed to beat it, just

It's such a badly designed mission, I deviated from the really specific guide a few times and this resulted in death and needing to reload the save

Hopefully there is nothing as shitty as this mission left in the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom