• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Handmaid's Tale Full Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTonrzXTJs

Adapted from the classic novel by Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale is the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly the United States. Facing environmental disasters and a plunging birthrate, Gilead is ruled by a twisted fundamentalism in its militarized ‘return to traditional values'. As one of the few remaining fertile women, Offred (Elisabeth Moss) is a Handmaid in the Commander’s household, one of the caste of women forced into sexual servitude as a last desperate attempt to repopulate the world. In this terrifying society, Offred must navigate between Commanders, their cruel Wives, domestic Marthas, and her fellow Handmaids – where anyone could be a spy for Gilead – all with one goal: to survive and find the daughter that was taken from her.

This looks incredibly upsetting....

Apoc29

There was a film adaptation of this book made in 1990 and they made us watch it in high school. Disturbing, to say the least.

This could turn out to be Hulu's biggest hit, at least in terms of critical acclaim and attention.

Is this going to be a straight up adaptation to Margaret Atwood's novel or will certain liberties be taken for reasons of brevity? And will this be a miniseries or a regular series? I know the book itself is standalone, but so was Orange is the New Black and Man in the High Castle. If they wanted to, I suppose they could use most of the book as the basis for season 1, and then spin it off into several more seasons afterward.

From what I've read in the Hollywood Reporter, Atwood is contributing to the show, so it's possible that there are revisions being made to the series to fit in with more contemporary times.

LProtag

We'll see how this compares to the music video adaptation I made my senior year of high school for an English class project.

In all honesty though, the book was really interesting and eye opening to read as a teenage guy. I'm really hoping the adaptation does it justice.

This book does not lend itself well to adaptations. One of the main themes is how women are turned into commodities and forced to live a life of solitary confinement. You can't even see the handmaids' facial features due to their ridiculous habits.

How are you suppposed to film a work that's nothing but "stare at the wall, stare at the ceiling, did they see me smile?, are they coming to shoot me?, back to chores", all as an inner monologue?

This book does not lend itself well to adaptations. One of the main themes is how women are turned into commodities and forced to live a life of solitary confinement. You can't even see the handmaids' facial features due to their ridiculous habits.

How are you suppposed to film a work that's nothing but "stare at the wall, stare at the ceiling, did they see me smile?, are they coming to shoot me?, back to chores", all as an inner monologue?

Hopefully the longer formula afforded by television will allow them to expand beyond the confines of the book. Perhaps the handmaids will be given a voice to tell in the Hulu version. Orange is the New Black allowed for more fleshing out of characters other than Piper and Alex.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You... I don't know... adapt the core concepts to another format?

mlclmtckr

Banned
I saw them shooting this around U of T, thought it was actually the perfect time to be making this.

I really hope it's good.

A-DAP-TA-TION

Did they take out the racism?

Hasn't been confirmed. But Atwood herself is involved as a consultant and it wouldn't surprise me if she's using this update as an opportunity to include themes of class, race, and lgbt rights. And because it's being crafted as long form storytelling on TV, it will be much easier to do this than as a 2 hour film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom