• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Emoji Movie' Criticized for "Tasteless" 'Handmaid's Tale' Tweet

Arkeband

Banned
There is functionally no difference between the amount of effort expended in posting your negative tweet here and other people actually tweeting about the ad.

Time being infinite has nothing to do with it.

So when you ask who has time for this the answer is obvious.

You do.

I wouldn't be answering this question if you didn't.

There's actually a functional difference between people who are performing activism with an expected outcome (cancel the movie, fire X, etc) and my commentary which is tacit agreement with people posting in a pointless NeoGAF thread that affects no one and nothing.

I also didn't realize my posts are tweets, TIL!

Deepwater

There's actually a functional difference between people who are performing activism with an expected outcome (cancel the movie, fire X, etc) and my commentary which is tacit agreement with people posting in a pointless NeoGAF thread that affects no one and nothing.

I also didn't realize my posts are tweets, TIL!

people just wanted them to delete the tweet, calm down captain outrage

oh my god how dare they

(Who has the time to be outraged at this?)

This is a tweet.

Your argument seems to fit in here somewhere:

"Oh the outrage why would anyone care why do people care what's with all this caring aren't there better things to care about why can't people care about more important things ugh who the fuck cares I don't care fuck caring this is stupid nothing stupider than caring about things even if they're small I don't care about shit not even important things lol what a shitty use of time don't people have better ways to waste their time they need to pick their battles these are bad battles lol"

"It's different when I do it because I don't care due to the infinite nature of time and our agreement nothing we do here is meaningful" is an interesting application of it though, Ark.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't necessarily think you're wrong, I also don't think the difference is that different, and the goals in mind are worth taking into consideration.

People criticizing this shitty tweet are criticizing it because it's a shitty tweet. As with a lot of from-the-hip criticisms on social media, some are going to take it too far. Some are going to be performative about it. Some are going to squawk because they're in love with the sound of their own syllables colliding (ahem!). It happens here all the time too. In fact, many of this site's shittiest posts are essentially tweets both in construction and substance.

(my shitty posts are much, much longer, because I believe in providing production value, because I'm generous and benevolent)

The criticisms of those criticisms are aimed almost primarily at eliminating criticism, often completely divorced from the criticisms merits AS such. The thrust is almost always "you care about things wrong and you need to stop caring about things I don't give a fuck about"

Not only is this inherently cynical, but it looks to silence people's concerns, or at the least make them distrust their own emotional reactions towards sketchy shit. If people were addressing individual tweets (or actually tweeting back instead of pretending on one form of social media that they're above the other form of social media even though a lot of people here pushing that line have waited over a year to join this social media platform and have been here for 4 or 5 years if not double or triple that) that'd be one thing, but what almost always happens is:

1) All criticism gets lumped in with the bad criticism.

2) The criticism is renamed "outrage"

3) The term "faux-" (which is almost never used otherwise) is then glued to the front of it depending on if the person doing the impending dismissal feels like being fancy.

The difference I'm spotting in almost every variation of this dance that occurs whenever any thread turns to the notion of either GAF hive-mind or "The internet" as if it's an entity that isn't simply made up of people talking with each other, is that one group of people are talking about a thing that affected them, and the other group is talking about how the other group of people needs to shut up.

At which point it's not even about the thing anymore. It's about exerting control, or expressing frustration at the inability to exert control over people who aren't ashamed of themselves for giving a fuck about things just enough to say something about it on social media.

An action, which, by the way, every single person commenting on any social platform is guilty of indulging.

So it's a matter of deciding whether you wanna address the topic at hand, or whether you'd rather pour energy into making sure people be quiet.
Absolutely spot on. Even a clear cut example coming after this post.

+1,000

I'm so bored of the outpouring of offence at everything these days.

You have go have one, very safe, quite leftist, opinion or you get ripped apart on social media by people who have nothing better to do than bleat faux outrage.

"These people should be spending their time worrying about more important things instead of chiming in on a topic with a response that takes seconds to craft. Like me. The LORD of Time Management Skills!"

Afrodium

Banned
God damn, some of the replies in this thread. It reads no different from a Facebook comments section on something about BLM or LGBT+ issues. Seriously, just because YOU don't find it offensive doesn't mean you get to dictate how others should feel about it.

I think it's disingenuous to compare a parody of the marketing for a Hulu show to police brutality and LGBT+ rights.

DrArchon

People need to understand what true apathy is.

True apathy isn't coming into the topic, posting about how much you don't care about something, and then arguing with people.

True apathy is reading the topic title, deciding you don't care, and then ignoring it and not thinking about it.

True apathy isn't coming into the topic, posting about how much you don't care about something, and then arguing with people.

True apathy is reading the topic title, deciding you don't care, and then ignoring it and not thinking about it.

I always wonder who here at GAF has the highest "Who fucking cares?" or "Outrage culture" posts?

Honestly sick of the word "outrage" at this point. It's just code for "I don't care about this thing and I don't think you should care either".

3825918_orig.jpg

God I'm craving some coke

Kinyou

I wonder what the guideline is for these articles.

How many tweets constitute outrage, seven? Perhaps ten?

Holy cow, someone even tweeted "Did the marketing team not think this through?" Let's put that under the headline

Holy cow, someone even tweeted "Did the marketing team not think this through?" Let's put that under the headline

Someone at Sony looked at a couple of reactions and were like, "Yeah, maybe this was a bad idea." I think they knew they were stepping into hot water and wanted to see how deep they could go.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

"But how else will people KNOW that I don't care. I simply MUST tell others how little I care about this thing otherwise they won't be thinking about ME!1!"

I love watching people get real fucking angry over other people getting a bit annoyed at a dumb thing a company did. And they have the nerve to call other people triggered.

Where was all the drama when Disney made a Zootopia poster parodying a movie about a serial rapist and killer?

People that The Handmaid Tale too seriously.

I'd argue this fits the theme of the poster. It pays respects to the original. The Handmaid's Tale just looks bad and tasteless. That emoji should't be smiling.

Arkeband

Banned
I love watching people get real fucking angry over other people getting a bit annoyed at a dumb thing a company did. And they have the nerve to call other people triggered.

This is just outrage over outrage over outrage.

And my post is outrage over your outrage over outrage over outrage.

Outrageception.

Lo_Fi

Honestly sick of the word "outrage" at this point. It's just code for "I don't care about this thing and I don't think you should care either".

Criticism: critique that I agree with.

Outrage: critique that I disagree with.

This is just outrage over outrage over outrage.

And my post is outrage over your outrage over outrage over outrage.

Outrageception.

They've discovered criticism. Criticism is a conversation. A back and forth.

I don't necessarily think you're wrong, I also don't think the difference is that different, and the goals in mind are worth taking into consideration.

People criticizing this shitty tweet are criticizing it because it's a shitty tweet. As with a lot of from-the-hip criticisms on social media, some are going to take it too far. Some are going to be performative about it. Some are going to squawk because they're in love with the sound of their own syllables colliding (ahem!). It happens here all the time too. In fact, many of this site's shittiest posts are essentially tweets both in construction and substance.

(my shitty posts are much, much longer, because I believe in providing production value, because I'm generous and benevolent)

The criticisms of those criticisms are aimed almost primarily at eliminating criticism, often completely divorced from the criticisms merits AS such. The thrust is almost always "you care about things wrong and you need to stop caring about things I don't give a fuck about"

Not only is this inherently cynical, but it looks to silence people's concerns, or at the least make them distrust their own emotional reactions towards sketchy shit. If people were addressing individual tweets (or actually tweeting back instead of pretending on one form of social media that they're above the other form of social media even though a lot of people here pushing that line have waited over a year to join this social media platform and have been here for 4 or 5 years if not double or triple that) that'd be one thing, but what almost always happens is:

1) All criticism gets lumped in with the bad criticism.

2) The criticism is renamed "outrage"

3) The term "faux-" (which is almost never used otherwise) is then glued to the front of it depending on if the person doing the impending dismissal feels like being fancy.

The difference I'm spotting in almost every variation of this dance that occurs whenever any thread turns to the notion of either GAF hive-mind or "The internet" as if it's an entity that isn't simply made up of people talking with each other, is that one group of people are talking about a thing that affected them, and the other group is talking about how the other group of people needs to shut up.

At which point it's not even about the thing anymore. It's about exerting control, or expressing frustration at the inability to exert control over people who aren't ashamed of themselves for giving a fuck about things just enough to say something about it on social media.

An action, which, by the way, every single person commenting on any social platform is guilty of indulging.

So it's a matter of deciding whether you wanna address the topic at hand, or whether you'd rather pour energy into making sure people be quiet.

Should be required reading when you sign up for an internet connection.

LosDaddie

Banned

One can build any narrative they want with just Twitter reactions.

Maebe

Why? Why would anyone think this is a good idea? Does no one working at Sony Pictires marketing department know what context is? Do they just know that The Handmaid's Tale is a thing that's popular know, let's parody that? Seriously, I'm fascinated at the idea of how these awful tasteless marketing plugs get made.

Like, wouldn't it be a better idea to parody a product aimed at children? I assume that's the market the Emoji movie is aimed at (or at least very stupid adults) so why choose this?

It's completely baffling.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I see your point, but then I wouldn't be able to spend my valuable time giving my important opinion about other people's opinions being an unimportant waste of time...

rSpooky

Ok.. To be clear.. People are mad because this made light of a fictional series.
If the events depecited in this series are so disturbing why is it ok to be their entertainment every week but not to be used in a (dumb) joke.. Seriously confused here. Seems some weird ass cognitive dissonance at play here from where I am sitting.

I am getting to old for this shit. LoL

Dice//

Banned
Not 'outraged' but it wasn't the best choice for this kind of ad.

Muppets did a pretty amusing spoof on the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trailer. So this happens. But a "happy emoji" on a show of that type is a bit of a whoops.

GodofWine

OMG MY DAUGHTER IS GOING TO BE SO OUTRAGED ABOUT A REFERENCE TO A SHOW SHE HAS NO CLUE ABOUT THAT SHE WE DEMAND I DO NOT DARE TAKE HER TO SEE THIS MOVIE....said no person ever.

Can we just talk more about Trump.

Glix

This whole thing is some dumb shit. Thats about all I have on this one.

Media has played on/spoofed Silence of the Lambs a zillion times for laughs. and its okay.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I can't believe people waste time on this shit

So Imma hang out in here pounding f5

OT, yeah, that's a dumb ad

I'm just confused why people thought an Emoji Movie would be anything but tasteless, to be honest.

Can't wait for the Alphabet Movie. They can cross over with Smiley Face The Musical.

Top Bottom