• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

User Tron

Whenever it fits someone's agenda, video games suddenly become a "Haha, those things, I'd never get emotionally invested in that!" thing.

Somehow not being mad about the delay makes you a better person or, at least, that's the perspective that is being pushed.

Any good news for us Wii U users? Please throw me a bone.

Razlo

As I said earlier...soft launch eShop. No need to hype or advertise, the people who want it now can get it, Ubisoft get full RRP from each of them and can hype and advertise come September's boxed release.

People would still be mad they couldn't get the physical release. I think it's a creative idea, but wouldn't solve the problem.

As I said earlier...soft launch eShop. No need to hype or advertise, the people who want it now can get it, Ubisoft get full RRP from each of them and can hype and advertise come September's boxed release.

would be interesting...

doubt they'll do it.

I can see them just ignoring the backlash and sticking to their guns..

for shame, really.

I figured this was the case. It is partially Nintendos fault for not having a big enough user base on wii U. Isn't Mario not even released yet in Europe?

this argument breaks down when you remember it was a planned launch game, that would have had a userbase of zero

Linkhero1

I agree that it's shitty, but unlike a half baked or bad game, it's difficult to send the correct message by not buying it.

Are Ubisoft to take the message that people don't want Rayman games? That they should cut down on Wii U games? Or (& less likely) that they shouldn't have delayed Rayman.

I think people being vocal about hating this move is a lot more effective in this case than not buying a game franchise you love & want to see continue.
People have already been expressing their disappointment acrosw all forms of social networking. It's up to Ubisoft to handle it from that point. I don't think it's really a majority of people speaking their minds with their wallets but people who know they're going to have multiple games to choose from at the time. I've mentioned it before and hate to sound like a broken record but Black Friday would be around the corner and this game will more than likely hit the bargain bin by then compared to GTA V or Windwaker HD.

FLAguy954

People can be mad all they want scream that it's suicide to release in September but if it's coming to more platforms (especially ones with huge userbases) then some of the reaction here is way overboard. The nature of a system losing an exclusive is why this thread is 2000 posts and still going. FF13 had this kind of reaction. Let's deal with it and play a hopefully awesome game come September. Origin was panned a little for releasing at full price and this one looks no different in terms of the reception.

I do find it interesting to see how some aren't anticipating it as much just because it's now multiplatform. For all we know, this was meant to always be on more than 1 platform but Ubi kept quiet about it. The additional workload to have parity on all platforms is what likely cause the delay so I see nothing changing. If you anticipated this game, get it. If not then don't.

What the hell are you talking about? More people are obviously mad that an already completed game is getting pushed back 7 months all in the name of 'launch parity'.

Ubisoft is banking on the game selling more with two additional platforms (Xbox 360 + PS3) because they have a larger user base, and that's understandable. However, when Rayman Origins released on these two platforms, their user bases were already large (130+ Million) and the game still sold like shit.

Now, it screams incompetence for this company not to release a game in 3 weeks when:

1) Nintendo practically marketed the game for them (e.g. Rayman Legends being the only playable demo at kiosks and lots of promotion via E3 and Nintendo Direct) so the 'two marketing campaigns' argument doesn't hold up.
2) As posted previously by many others, you would want to release your game in a period where your game can shine the most, and for Rayman Legends that would be this month, the month the game was supposed to be released in.
3) Other posters prior to myself also have stated that they are indeed setting up the game to 'die' in September because they lose the chance to gain any significant mind-share in the face of: competing Wii U game releases, GTA V, and post-E3 and new console hype.
Bonus) It is also pretty disrespectful to pull something like this (the delay) on Nintendo after they put so much work into promoting the game. Most likely this wouldn't of happened to either Sony or Microsoft.

Razlo

People have already been expressing their disappointment acrosw all forms of social networking. It's up to Ubisoft to handle it from that point. I don't think it's really a majority of people speaking their minds with their wallets but people who know they're going to have multiple games to choose from at the time. I've mentioned it before and hate to sound like a broken record but Black Friday would be around the corner and this game will more than likely hit the bargain bin by then compared to GTA V or Windwaker HD.

I agree, it's a dumb release date. Rayman Origins had slow initial sales too & a price cut because it was released in the fall. You think they'd learn!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Whenever it fits someone's agenda, video games suddenly become a "Haha, those things, I'd never get emotionally invested in that!" thing.

Somehow not being mad about the delay makes you a better person or, at least, that's the perspective that is being pushed.

If I ever get truly emotionally invested in a delay. Slap me.
It's only when games or localizations are cancelled that I get upset as there's a loss there.

It sucks but the game is real, it's coming, and will likely be improved.

mackattk

Thats true, forgot about BF sales. This is just idiotic of Ubisoft not to release this game when there is so much hype surrounding it. The demo was getting rave reviews from just about anyone who played it. It would have sold well on Wii U (relatively to how many systems have sold), because of how good the demo was, and how barren the game selection is right now on the platform. Pushing it off into the mix of holiday sales and surrounded by AAA titles, I really don't know what they are thinking.

If I ever get truly emotionally invested in a delay. Slap me.
It's only when games or localizations that are cancelled that I get upset.

It sucks but the game is real, it's coming, and will likely be improved.

It stings a lot more when the game is supposed to come out in 3 weeks, and it being delayed for no good reason at all. If two months ago, Ubisoft said that it would be delayed until Sept 2013, I would still be mad about the delay, but it would be a much better position than it is now.

This would be similar to saying Sonic All stars Racing, Demon Souls, or any other game that eventually comes to PC at a later date to hold up all the console versions three weeks before it comes out. Reason: "well, it will be a cheaper marketing push if we wait". The reason is bullshit.

User Tron

this argument breaks down when you remember it was a planned launch game, that would have had a userbase of zero

It doesn't because now the know the installed base and how their sw sells. They didn't before launch. In other words they were expecting more and adapting their strategy. Not that I welcome this decision.

People would still be mad they couldn't get the physical release. I think it's a creative idea, but wouldn't solve the problem.

It's relative. At the moment, people have the pitchforks out, but if Ubisoft announce an eShop release along with PR bullshit about doing this due to "overwhelming passion from our fans" while explaining that they want "retail synergy" entwined with some nonsense about production lines and a lot of people will suddenly think "hey, at least they listened and tried to work around it..." and, well, I don't see a downside.

Lizardus

Wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Microsoft exec makes it clear that if another platform gets a game first, then Microsoft doesn't want it.

Ever notice how the game osmosis between Xbox Live and PlayStation Network seems to be a one way thing? It's a fair bet that any game that appears on the Xbox Live Marketplace will, eventually - after a great deal of hand wringing - make its way over to PSN, whereas if you're a 360 owner eyeing a PSN exclusive, you're out of luck. Apparently, that's a deliberate decision on Microsoft's part. Talking to Eurogamer, Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis explained that Microsoft policy states that non-exclusive titles have to launch at exactly the same time, and with exactly the same content, as the versions for other platforms, if they don't, Microsoft can decide to simply not release them.

Microsoft's Content Submission and Release Policy states:

"Titles for Xbox 360 must ship at least simultaneously with other video game platform, and must have at least feature and content parity on-disc with the other video game platform versions in all regions where the title is available. If these conditions are not met, Microsoft reserves the right to not allow the content to be released on Xbox 360."

Yep, it extends to disc-based games too. Essentially, any title released for the 360 must have exactly the same on-disc content as it's PS3 or Wii counterpart. There are ways around the policy, of course. L.A Noire got away with offering launch exclusive content for PS3 owners by packaging it as DLC. Microsoft also seems to play fast and loose with its own rules depending on the size of the franchise in question. The 360 version of Mortal Kombat, for example, comes with absolutely no bonus content, while the PS3 version has surly egghead Kratos from God of War as an on-disc bonus character. For whatever reason, Microsoft chose to turn a blind eye to that one.

It all sounds a bit childish really, but Lewis argues the policy has a positive effect on the industry. "We just want what our consumers want from us," he said. "We want to be where they want us to be. We want the quality bar of what they experience from us to continue to go up. I think it has to happen. Everybody's got to do that. If we want to continue to command healthy average selling prices, which we all do, that which we offer our consumers has got to keep getting better. Despite the fact it can be irksome to have such strong competition all the time, it actually does keep us on our toes. It's great for everyone, and it makes for a very healthy race to higher and higher levels of quality of game experiences."

A representative from a publisher, who wishes to remain anonymous, lest he/she face Microsoft's biblical wrath, disagreed. Talking to Eurogamer, they said, "Microsoft is suggesting that anything but parity will result in them not carrying a title. They may think this is competitive, but it's not. They are killing any creative exposure of titles to make up for their own platform's shortcomings."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112562-Microsoft-Doesnt-Want-Sonys-Sloppy-Seconds

It's relative. At the moment, people have the pitchforks out, but if Ubisoft announce an eShop release along with PR bullshit about doing this due to "overwhelming passion from our fans" while explaining that they want "retail synergy" entwined with some nonsense about production lines and a lot of people will suddenly think "hey, at least they listened and tried to work around it..." and, well, I don't see a downside.

sounds like a good plan to me.

i would totally buy this game off the eshop.

It doesn't because now the know the installed base and how their sw sells. They didn't before launch. In other words they were expecting more and adapting their strategy. Not that I welcome this decision.

what else could they have expected at this point, other than maybe another million sales in a best case scenario? I swear, people are acting like the hardware sales are absolutely bombing (and you know this decision wasnt just made yesterday, they would have made this decision based on Nov/Dec sales, which were all good)

Ha ha, great comment!

I thought I was talking to Rayman fans, not just people who would buy any game as long as it came out in February.

There is also this thing called "time", and there is a limited amount of it in each day.

So during this month of February, and even March, I have a lot of available gaming time each day. No other games are on my gaming radar right now.

During September, when this game will now be released, I could be potentially playing the new Madden, or the Wonderful 101, or Pikmin 3, or whatever games come out during that busy time of the year. Not to mention two brand new consoles are coming out soon after that, so I might begin to hold onto my money just a little tighter, in preparation for that.

So yeah, that's how this thing we call time works. I have lots of it now, but I won't have lots of it in September, and Rayman most likely won't be a priority or may not be as important as to be prioritized ahead of other games at that time. Right now though? It would be the priority of many of us, due to limited competition.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There is also this thing called "time", and there is a limited amount of it in each day.

So during this month of February, and even March, I have a lot of available gaming time each day. I'm not buying shit.

During September, when this game will now be released, I could be potentially playing the new Madden, or the Wonderful 101, or Pikmin 3, or whatever games come out during that busy time of the year. Not to mention two brand new consoles are coming out soon after that, so I might begin to hold onto my money just a little tighter, in preparation for that.

So yeah, that's how this thing we call time works. I have lots of it now, but I won't have lots of it in September, and Rayman most likely won't be a priority or may not be as important to be prioritized ahead of other games at that time.

That is why a February date makes more sense for a lot of us.

Ah ok. First it was money, now Rayman isn't worth the time.
I'm mostly kidding, but just noticing the reasons changing.

User Tron

what else could they have expected at this point, other than maybe another million sales in a best case scenario? I swear, people are acting like the hardware sales are absolutely bombing (and you know this decision wasnt just made yesterday, they would have made this decision based on Nov/Dec sales, which were all good)

While speculation on my part I'd say twice as much in Europe.

Razlo

So during this month of February, and even March, I have a lot of available gaming time each day. No other games are on my gaming radar right now.

So yeah, that's how this thing we call time works. I have lots of it now, but I won't have lots of it in September, and Rayman most likely won't be a priority or may not be as important to be prioritized ahead of other games at that time.

That is why a February date makes more sense for a lot of us.

But it in Sept & play it next Feb or game droughty month?

I know I'm certainly much more interested in Rayman than Pikmin 3. Surely I can't be alone on that.
You aren't alone; but the thing is that by then, Nintendo probably has released other games beside Pikmin, and so have other publishers beside Nintendo; but more interestingly, for PS360, there will be a lot of releases by then.

---
Though I don't deny that Rayman was going to be sent to death the way they stopped promoting this year; I actually wanted to create a thread if it is going to bomb very hard being released in few weeks without any hype or marketing; however, that was probably because they had already decided that they didn't want to ship it.

So are they waiting for a bigger installed base or is it related to the multiplatform news? Either way, this game is pretty much sent to die if it releases in September.

Ah ok. First it was money, now Rayman isn't worth the time.
I'm mostly kidding, but just noticing the reasons changing.

Noticing who's reasons changing? Why do you feel the need to insincerely lump everyone in this thread together? I have replied twice before explaining my position, and it's been the same every time.

Feburary = slow time

Septebmer = busy time

Busy time = more scrutiny of gaming expenditures, less gaming time available, thus it's quite possible many just skip over Rayman.

But it in Sept & play it next Feb or game droughty month?

Some people budget their gaming dollars. How many people do you realistically see for example, choosing Rayman Legends for $60 instead of Grand Theft Auto 5? Think about that for a minute.

Razlo

Noticing who's reasons changing? Why do you feel the need to insincerely lump everyone in this thread together? I have replied twice before explaining my position, and it's been the same every time.

Feburary = slow time

Septebmer = busy time

Busy time = more scrutiny of gaming expenditures, thus it's quite possible many just skip over Rayman.

Some people budget their gaming dollars. How many people do you realistically see for example, choosing Rayman Legends for $60 instead of Grand Theft Auto 5? Think about that for a minute.

I am seeing that I made the mistake that it was Rayman fans bitching about the delay. I am realizing I was wrong.

Celegus

Man that is brutal. You'd think management would've decided on this long before the game was done so they didn't have to crunch so hard. What a crappy situation.

I am seeing that I made the mistake that it was Rayman fans bitching about the delay. I am realizing I was wrong.

You were wrong to a degree. Let me explain since you seem so puzzled by all of this.

Rayman is a cool franchise, and I liked Origins a lot, but it is not going to carry the same weight as the titans of the industry.

Most people would choose Halo, or GTA, or Uncharted, or Mario Kart, etc, over a Rayman game. That is why it's usually wise for publishers of smaller franchises to get out of the way of those big boys, because while people may like your smaller franchise, it's quite likely they're not going to choose your niche game over the big giant game that's coming the same month, and a lot of people just don't have unlimited funds each month to buy every game that might interest them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I agree that it's shitty, but unlike a half baked or bad game, it's difficult to send the correct message by not buying it.

Well luckily they can also use (and are) Miiverse to send additional messages to Ubi.

Razlo

You were wrong to a degree. Let me explain since you seem so puzzled by all of this.

Rayman is a cool franchise, and I liked Origins a lot, but it is not going to carry the same weight as the titans of the industry.

Most people would choose Halo, or GTA, or Uncharted, or Mario Kart, etc, over a Rayman game. That is why it's usually wise for publishers of smaller franchises to get out of the way of those big boys, because while people may like your smaller franchise, it's quite likely they're not going to choose your niche game over the big giant game that's coming the same month, and a lot of people just don't have unlimited funds each month to buy every game that might interest them.

I am just coming from a different place. I like Rayman, I have it paid off, if I have other games to play in Sept, I'll just wait to play my copy when I have a free moment.

I'll respect that it's not worth it for you in Sept.

Morts

Can't see the downside if it really is done. No need to worry about retailers marking down physical copies, and they get to relaunch later with the other versions.

Won't happen though.

Man that is brutal. You'd think management would've decided on this long before the game was done so they didn't have to crunch so hard. What a crappy situation.

Management most likely made their initial decision based off of Nintendo's own estimates for Wii U sales. While it is in fact a crappy situation for people that thought they'd be playing it in Feb, the actual crappy situation is Wii U sales, and the delay of the one big title it had in the first half of the year being gone doesn't better the situation. But that's not Ubisoft's fault. That's on Nintendo.

Septimius

I'm a bit confused, how does not buying the game support the developers or am I reading that wrong? Would that send a message to Ubisoft about working conditions or would it just mean "these games don't sell well, scrap 'em"?

Sorry, that's on me. Poor syntax. What I meant to say is I won't support it in order to support the devs. That means I might still buy it, but that won't be out of a choice to support the devs. I don't think the devs' hard work means they deserve me buying the game despite of this decision. I can't separate the "corporation" from the "devs". And I detest the way these employees are treated, so I'm even less inclined to buy it, hearing how their lives have been for the last months. The devs need to stand up against this behaviour. All in all, we can "vote with our money" and do all this political non-sense from the outside, that will hardly affect sales.

Game developers simply need to understand that it's not such a privilege to work in the game industry, that they'll put up with any crap thrown their way. That is not to say that they have the final say in this decision; I mean the work-culture has to shift away from year long crunch-times. It's detrimental to everyone.

I admire the passionate souls that work so hard for this stuff. I don't admire the way they are abused.

I like Rayman, I'm a fan of Rayman. I've beat pretty much every Rayman game that's been released. (Even stuff like Arena)

There are games, given their release time-frame that I would pick over Rayman. GTA and Pokemon come to mind. It's not too difficult to grasp.

Septimius

if such a policy exists it breaches EU regulations and thus can not be enforced in europe

It's the easiest thing to bypass. Ubisoft is given a wad of cash, and they say "no, we just have to delay the game, it has nothing to do with Microsoft's alleged policy". Hell, maybe even the prospect of selling a lot more copies is enough for Ubisoft.

I see the Microsoft's policy as one contender, but look at the way it has exposed the Wii U? It's become so stagnant, MS and Sony might be succeeding in making it completely irrelevant. Don't be surprised if this continuous flow of "leaks" are controlled leaks that shift all eyes towards what's coming, and away from the Wii U. The Wii U had a big hitter this month, Rayman, and with this delay, combined with more leaks, everyone seems to forgetting about the Wii U. And they might be succeeding in keeping prospective buyers away from the Wii U for long enough that when they line up with their 350$ to get a premium by summer, their new consoles will already be released. And hey, it's just "a few month away" - why not just skip the Wii U and go for the next gen console?

MS and Sony know this is their chance to diminish Nintendo's market share, and capture the enormous casual market they've been getting a raging hard on ever since a year before the managed to squeeze out Kinect and Move in order to steal away from Nintendo. They just might be succeeding.

Top Bottom