• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

People can be mad all they want scream that it's suicide to release in September but if it's coming to more platforms (especially ones with huge userbases) then some of the reaction here is way overboard. The nature of a system losing an exclusive is why this thread is 2000 posts and still going. FF13 had this kind of reaction. Let's deal with it and play a hopefully awesome game come September. Origin was panned a little for releasing at full price and this one looks no different in terms of the reception.

I do find it interesting to see how some aren't anticipating it as much just because it's now multiplatform. For all we know, this was meant to always be on more than 1 platform but Ubi kept quiet about it. The additional workload to have parity on all platforms is what likely cause the delay so I see nothing changing. If you anticipated this game, get it. If not then don't.

You are attempting to simplify something that isn't as simple as you're making it out to be. There are a variety of reasons the reaction has been so strong to this delay.

1) The game was less than 3 weeks from release on a platform that is currently starved for games. This is the biggest reason people are upset. There was even a playable demo available for a while now, which excited a lot of people by how great it was.

2) The game was delayed, and not in some typical 2-3 month fashion. It was delayed 7 months!

3) The game is DONE, and we know it is. Delaying a game when it's done is a rare occurrence, but a 7 month delay for a competed game is fucking bananas and literally just feels like salt being rubbed in the eyes for the above reasons.

4) The reason for the 7 month delay is so that they can bring it to other platforms, thus it's also no longer exclusive.

Yes, I'm sure there are a percentage of people who are upset purely because an exclusive is lost, but you're ignoring the aggravating factors which make this situation all the more irritating to Wii U owners who intended on picking this game up.

I've said it in this thread prior, but I fully intended on buying this game later this month for $60, but now I'm almost certain I'm not buying it for $60 in September. That is not a threat. That is just me being honest about the reality of the situation. There ain't shit coming out right now that I'm interested in. In September? There will be a shit ton out that I'm interested in, as well as two new consoles coming soon after. It's simply a much busier time to put out a niche game like this.

Fireblend

Banned
I said it in yesterday's thread and I'll say it again: The saddest part about this whole thing is that this was the last franchise upon which I would've wished any of this. Some well recognized FPS/RPG franchise wouldn't be very affected by this kind of backlash, people would buy it anyway, but this is one that really depended on its almost niche fanbase, and to anger it and possibly damage its sales is to lower the odds of a third game by a mile.

I don't even own a Wii U, I'm even still hoping they announce this for PC, but they really blew it with the way they handled these changes, and the sequel to a platformer as great as Origins just didn't deserve to have the warm welcome I expected it to have yanked from under its feet. I really question Ubisoft's intent with this delay. The "new" Rayman franchise has so much potential :(

Good luck competing with GTAV on PS360 and with Pikmin 3 and Zelda on WiiU. No, seriously, GOOD LUCK, because they've sold me a Mario.

Razlo

If people truly want to vote with their wallet in relation to this delay, buy it on Wii U when it's released. If the bulk of the sales for the title were on Wii U, it'd prove a lot more than low sales.

Not buying it only hurts the Rayman franchise & Wii U game sales.

If people truly want to vote with their wallet in relation to this delay, buy it on Wii U when it's released. If the bulk of the sales for the title were on Wii U, it'd prove a lot more than low sales.

I don't think it hurts WiiU sales. Most WiiU buyers will buy another game instead of this.

You are attempting to simplify something that isn't as simple as you're making it out to be. There are a variety of reasons the reaction has been so strong to this delay.

1) The game was less than 3 weeks from release on a platform that is currently starved for games. This is the biggest reason people are upset.

2) The game was delayed, and not in some typical 2-3 month fashion. It was delayed 7 months!

3) The game is fucking DONE, and we know it is. Delaying a game when it's done is a rare occurrence, but a 7 month delay for a competed game is fucking bananas and literally just feels like salt being rubbed in the eyes for the above reasons.

4) The reason for the 7 month delay is so that they can bring it to other platforms, thus it's also no longer exclusive.

Yes, I'm sure there is a percentage of people who are upset purely because an exclusive is lost, but you're ignoring the aggravating factors which make this situation all the more irritating to Wii U owners who intended on picking this game up.

I've said it in this thread prior, but I fully intended on buying this game later this month for $60, but now I'm almost certain I'm not buying it for $60 in September. That is not a threat. That is just me being honest about the reality of the situation. There ain't shit coming out right now that I'm interested in. In September? There will be a shit ton out that I'm interested in, as well as two new consoles coming soon after. It's simply a much busier time to put out a niche game like this.

explains this situation the best.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I do find it interesting to see how some aren't anticipating it as much just because it's now multiplatform.
More like they lost interest because it has gone from "I guess I'll pick it up since there isn't much else out" to "there are too many games I want to buy around September".

I cant remember the last piece of gaming news getting such a backlash from fans for a game going multiplat/delay. I wonder if the exec. that made this decision is starting to regret it.

Just a thought....

I wonder....any concerns of potentially removing from the Wii-U version of the game those aspects that required the tablet controller complete the level. Releasing the game on the Xbox and PS3 would require a reworking of those levels as well. Would the delay in the WiiU version be a sign of reworking the game to be consistent across all platforms?

Probably not, but perhaps a reason for the WiiU delay........
I was wondering about this too. Maybe there was some sort of focus groups that found that the co-op sections didn't work well in single player mode. Maybe the only upside to this is that the single player mode will work better.

djyella

This thread being 2000 pages and going is why I know that isn't entirely true. No one is going to openly admit it but the internet has worked this way for years. There are other venues where you can openly be less behaved and simply troll. Systemwars is exactly why I don't get into conversations with those who are less rational.

I'm still happy more people will get to play it.

We must be reading a different thread because most of what I see is people being rational about it...You know, delaying a finished game for 7 months. They just lost my money. It was a guaranteed buy this month. September though, nope, second hand maybe.

Is there a forum somewhere sending people into the thread to make out it's multiplatform that is the deal-breaker or am i reading a thread in a totally different universe where that isn't an issue and it's the announcement and delay that are the issue here?

Because i'm sure i've read that no-one gives a damn about the lack of exclusivity here.

Malvingt2

I cant remember the last piece of gaming news getting such a backlash from fans for a game going multiplat/delay. I wonder if the exec. that made this decision is starting to regret it.

key word, I don't care the about the multiplat stuff. The delay of a done game is the issue.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It doesn't help it's for a system that allows the users to easily post their complaints. First 50Hz VC in PALland and now this. Miiverse is becoming an interesting platform for soapboxing.

VariantX

1) The game was less than 3 weeks from release on a platform that is currently starved for games. This is the biggest reason people are upset.

3) The game is fucking DONE, and we know it is. Delaying a game when it's done is a rare occurrence, but a 7 month delay for a competed game is fucking bananas and literally just feels like salt being rubbed in the eyes for the above reasons.

Yes, I'm sure there is a percentage of people who are upset purely because an exclusive is lost, but you're ignoring the aggravating factors which make this situation all the more irritating to Wii U owners who intended on picking this game up.

^
Pretty much this.

Just does not make any sense to move this game from Feb where it virtually has no competition on its current platform to a time where there will be 3 platforms and 2 around the corner, and a shit-storm of AAA and high profile releases on all 5 of those platforms. The real time limit for this title is really before E3. At least if the game is good to the people now, word of mouth can do the job and maintain some interest until Sept when the 360/PS3 versions drop with new content that maybe even WiiU owners might double dip for.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

I'm sorry. Ubi is getting zilch from me. I don't encourage idiocy in any shape or form. There are many more talented and hard-working devs out there who compete for my gaming dollar, Ubi is not one of them anymore, not with their current management. Ubi = bargain bin.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
oh trust me, i agree. I was just meaning the reason for the delay being that its multiplat and so all versions can release at the same time.
Well UbiSoft did come out and basically say the delay is only for that reason. Not even that the game needed more time which of course means those who suspect the game to be finished have even more reason to be suspicious.. PR disaster.

User Tron

Contacted my sources and they say that ubi is not satisfied with the current user base in Europe and they hope the installed base will grow significant till September. Take it for what you want.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
"I'm upset I'm not getting Rayman Legends in February, so I'm NEVER going to buy it"

I'm baffled!

Would you want to support a company that did something as shitty/backstabbing as this to their Wii U consumers, even if you wanted the game before? Would you?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Contacted my sources and they say that ubi is not satisfied with the current user base in Europe and they hope the installed base will grow significant till September. Take it for what you want.

Again I find this amazing. It was planned as a launch game. The installed base would have started from 0 to a maximum of 3 million while the game was to be still relevant. And in direct competition with Mario. I really don't see a worse situation now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Would you want to support a company that did something as shitty/backstabbing as this to their Wii U consumers, even if you wanted the game before? Would you?
They're really not personally insulting me.
It's just a game, that I will play, much later.

Razlo

I agree that it's shitty, but unlike a half baked or bad game, it's difficult to send the correct message by not buying it.

Are Ubisoft to take the message that people don't want Rayman games? That they should cut down on Wii U games? Or (& less likely) that they shouldn't have delayed Rayman.

I think people being vocal about hating this move is a lot more effective in this case than not buying a game franchise you love & want to see continue.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Just a thought....

I wonder....any concerns of potentially removing from the Wii-U version of the game those aspects that required the tablet controller complete the level. Releasing the game on the Xbox and PS3 would require a reworking of those levels as well. Would the delay in the WiiU version be a sign of reworking the game to be consistent across all platforms?

Probably not, but perhaps a reason for the WiiU delay........

No. The Wii U version is finished and will sit in Ubi's vault for 6 months waiting to be released. They are not going to go back and change a version that is already done.

The situation is like having TP delayed for almost a full year so it can also be released on Wii, but much worse because TP wasn't coming out in 2 weeks.

A lot of people were pissed at the news that Twilight Princess would be delayed

Again I find this amazing. It was planned as a launch game. The installed base would have started from 0 to a maximum of 3 million while the game was to be still relevant. And in direct competition with Mario. I really don't see a worse situation now.

exactly, it all just now sounds like PR damage control. I would hate to be their PR department right now. Not much you can do when people think the real reason is retarded other than just say "we disagree"

dallow_bg

nods at old men
No. The Wii U version is finished and will sit in Ubi's vault for 6 months waiting to be released. They are not going to go back and change a version that is already done.
The employee post says just that. (More content, improvements)
Or has that proven to be a fake post?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Good point.

Razlo

If I misunderstood & the issue truly is that there are a lot of games in Sept, but not Feb. Than just put aside your Feb game buying money for Sept & get Rayman then?

Richie

How likely is it that Ubisoft changes its mind after seeing the backlash?

The delay not only makes them lose sales, but also customers' goodwill.

If I misunderstood & the issue truly is that there are a lot of games in Sept, but not Feb. Than just put aside your Feb game buying money for Sept & get Rayman then?

Nah, I'll pick up another game this month or buy a few movies. I want entertainment now

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Saving money?
That's crazy. Going to blow my Rayman fund on chocolate now.

Whenever it fits someone's agenda, video games suddenly become a "Haha, those things, I'd never get emotionally invested in that!" thing.

Somehow not being mad about the delay makes you a better person or, at least, that's the perspective that is being pushed.

User Tron

I understood it as: It will sell like sh*t now so it doesn't matter if it sell like sh*t later. IMHO they didn't expect this reaction.

How likely is it that Ubisoft changes its mind after seeing the backlash?

The delay not only makes them lose sales, but also customers' goodwill.

i don't know if this is possible..

it may be too late.

I mean, I would love for a change of mind. And to start production immediately.
Would be epic and the publicity the game got from this would totally increase it's sales.

Would buy day 1 if they still released the Wii U version later this month or early next month.

Mrbob

I figured this was the case. It is partially Nintendos fault for not having a big enough user base on wii U. Isn't Mario not even released yet in Europe?

i don't know if this is possible..

it may be too late.

I mean, I would love for a change of mind. And to start production immediately.
Would be epic and the publicity the game got from this would totally increase it's sales.

Would buy day 1 if they still released the Wii U version later this month or early next month.

As I said earlier...soft launch eShop. No need to hype or advertise, the people who want it now can get it, Ubisoft get full RRP from each of them and can hype and advertise come September's boxed release.

Top Bottom