• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

O.DOGG

Well, that description sounds rather generic and more of the same. I was hoping for a more original story for the new Mass Effect. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised but my expectations just got lower based on this.

Maybe I'm being regressive, but I would be more than happy if they just copied the structure of ME2. All of the new MMO-lite stuff they're adding in the name of innovation does not interest me at all.

I'll also add that the feedback loop of checklisting design is more tolerable when the moment-to-moment design is actually, you know, fun. And that's something where real time shooters, like Mass Effect, have a leg up. Even though I quite like Inquisition the combat really isn't very exciting. Meanwhile I was happy to put ludicrous hours into Mass Effect 3's multiplayer simply because the act of shooting shit, working out strategies, and chaining combos felt so damn good.

I'll be more inclined to do these ruins (read: Destiny Raids) and explore shit if I'm really enjoying the heart of the combat.

I think it's just as important to keep a thick and engaging atmosphere. As solid as the core combat in Destiny is, it's the combination of boring encounter/scenario design AND near nonexistent atmosphere that kills it for me. With "checklist" design, it's easy to fall into a routine where rewards, locations, and enemies simply become obligations to a design philosophy which lose all of their mystique once you see behind the curtain. I think it's VERY dangerous to let multiplayer design creep into the singleplayer experience where even though you have a solid gameplay loop, the world might lose all sense of being a mysterious, dangerous place because you're running errands, battling waves, and "exploring ancient vaults" that all feel kind of hollow due to having co-op functionality.

Considering how this is a sidestep from the timeline we've seen in Mass effect 1-3, what are the chances we'll discover the protheans and reapers and fight the "Remnants" of the reapers all over again as the entire galaxy gets closer to it's destruction and due to pathfinder, he managed to help do something that helps shepard save the galaxy all over again in ME3.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Unfortunately there was a lot of negative feedback...but also GOTY awards and huge sales. That seems like a lot more persuasive feedback than some old guy whinging on a forum.

But yes, you never know.

If there really is any of that "wait 45 minutes" crap I'm out though.

Well ME1's awards and sales didn't stop them from taking a flamethrower to the stuff people bitched about in that game (which incidentally included a lot of collection filler like DA3 among many other problems).

Tookay

I like the mechanics indicated but I'm so wary of "fate of humanity" and ancient alien tech. Can't I just get caught in some medium sized event due to circumstance and play a pivotal role?

Honestly the saviour of humanity stuff and overarching quest is boring and feels like a repeat of previous trilogy.

But how else will you sell this game to the mass-market of immature gamers than by appealing to their power/messiah fantasies?

Holy fucking shit this sounds amazing. As someone who absolutely hates Mass Effect 2 just reading the word Mako makes me cry tears of joy. Of course the story is going to be shit because Bioware has shit story writers (unless they get someone else to do the story) and I am glad they kept the multiplayer (the only good part of Mass Effect 3). The optional stuff could be good or bad (haven't played DA Inquisition) if the rewards are meaningful and the customization options sound amazing (something sorely missing from Mass Effect 2). I just hope all of this is true.

Some of that stuff seems almost too good to be true. I hope this leak is real and the game actually delivers on these promisses.

Kinda get Stargate Atlantis no-return vibes from this.

Maybe humans found a super mass relay during the reaper invasion, almost finished by the Protheans as a last-resort way to escape from the reapers (but having to give up everything). Humans finish the project and send people through in a desperate one-shot experiment.
Can't go back, can't even call home maybe. Try to establish a new home for humanity, assuming that everything in the milky way is dead.

But then again, there's stuff like the Krogan colony ship, so....

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Maybe I'm being regressive, but I would be more than happy if they just copied the structure of ME2. All of the new MMO-lite stuff they're adding in the name of innovation does not interest me at all.

Its interesting to marketing and shareholders though

I wish I didn't click on this thread, because now I'm super pumped. It's not often that I play a game, and genuinely can see a perfect, or near perfect game if certain design decisions are made. I felt that way with Mass Effect 2, as if it were possible for then to make a perfect Sci-Fi Shooter/RPG combo. They didn't. But now, I'm starting to get that same feeling of delusional hope. Man, I just really hope they nail Mass Effect 4.

And whatever the galaxy threat may be, make him/it something like Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars. A powerful threat on his own, sure, but it's more than just his combat skills that make him scary. It's his influence, his army, etc. It was always going to be very difficult to make the Reapers a satisfying villain, even if they did them justice in Mass Effect 3. We, as the player, want a face to attach our hat towards. And even of we don't know who that face is it what it's name is, it needs to be there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think it's just as important to keep a thick and engaging atmosphere. As solid as the core combat in Destiny is, it's the combination of boring encounter/scenario design AND near nonexistent atmosphere that kills it for me. With "checklist" design, it's easy to fall into a routine where rewards, locations, and enemies simply become obligations to a design philosophy that lose all of their mystique once you see behind the curtain. I think it's VERY dangerous to let multiplayer design creep into the singleplayer experience where even though you have a solid gameplay loop, the world might lose all sense of being a mysterious, dangerous place because you're running errands, battling waves, and "exploring ancient vaults" that all feel kind of hollow due to having co-op functionality.

Agree, and it's a very difficult balance.

RPGs generally lend themselves to checklisting better as there's a more direct link between reward and progress due to player level, difficulty of dungeons/encounters/missions, unlockable abilities/powers, new loot, etc. The fundamental problem I have with RPG components in 'Creed and Far Cry is that they're not RPGs, so the rewards tend to be trivialised as the game design as a whole doesn't accomidate for a sense of progress in your checklisting. It's just stuff.

That being said, even when RPGs work with checklisting they become obnoxious when the smoke and mirrors disappear and you realise how formulaic the design is, for reasons you stated. A sense of atmosphere has to be maintained. Mass Effect does this very well. In practice, the uncharted worlds are empty, barren, boring, and checklisty. But I sure as shit loved landing on and exploring them thanks to the sense of discovery and atmosphere that drew me into the game's setting and lore. If this became routine and predictable, the atmosphere/discovery would lose its appeal quite rapidly.

The multiplayer component is also a risk, but to me it actually doesn't sound all that bad. You basically have two variants: strike missions and horde. Strike missions can function purely as single player; send your AI to do it for you (like Inquisition/Creed), wait for the rewards, continue exploring shit on your own. Or just do them manually with other players. Horde is no different to Mass Effect 3: the multiplayer mode for you to do stuff. Multiplayer rewards feeding into single player is a bit worrying, but the function of the multiplayer seems like it can be borderline fully ignored at no real loss.

Madness

Sounds pretty amazing! Let's hope they can recreate that sense of wonder from the first Mass Effect. The first time you step on the Citadel, see the different alien races, first time you pilot your ship, visit other planets, that first Sovereign meeting, what you see and learn on Ilos. By Mass Effect 3, all the joy and wonder was out of the universe. They explained too much about the Protheans and Reapers. Tried to tie up all loose ends and had those pathetic endings. I hope they can also capture that feeling of landing in Omega for the first time in ME2, and what seeing Illium was like, all the skyscrapers and flying ships. Can't wait. I feel like going back and beating ME2 and ME3 all over again. I beat the first too many times to even think of doing again.

Curious as to the reason and how humans and other aliens managed to reach Andromeda. That is no small feat.

Also, I hope the decision making that ME1 commercials alluded to is actually there.

Vyrance

I'm down with any and all mass effect, hope the aliens and lore of Andromeda is great. And of course, hopefully the same codex narrator voice

Jibbed

So... any context for why humans are now exploring Andromeda? Or why other Milky Way races are there too?

Without the background, it seems a bit dumb that Bioware's essentially saying, "Yo, everyone's over here now."

There must be some relay-style transport system between galaxies to make this viable in the first place. I wonder how long after ME3 it's set.

Dryk

I played Infiltrator in ME1 & 2 so the lack of sniper ammo, long sightlines and individual ability cooldowns really soured me on ME2 combat. If planet exploration is back and I can take guys out from on top of a hill again I'll be happy.

SliChillax

If you're again locked to fucking humans, yet all the other races are appearing, I'd guess the context of the plot is that:

Access to Andromeda galaxy discovered. Each species/empire in the Milky Way develops their own outer-galaxy colony program (hence the appearance of Krogans). The Alliance has the Pathfinder Initiative, which you're leading. Everybody arrives. It's essential the Wild West of Mass Effect, everyone vying for land, while also conflicting with the species already calling the galaxy home. Remnant artefacts turn out to be Reapers. Suddenly Cerberus is there for some reason. Everything is shit.

There's still more to this, why would they be leaving the Milky Way? Anyway I wanna find this out in the game. From this point I'll try and read as less stuff as possible. I wanna have that magic ME1 feel of mystery and exploration without spoiling myself any info.

Lakitu

st5fu
I played Infiltrator in ME1 & 2 so the lack of sniper ammo, long sightlines and individual ability cooldowns really soured me on ME2 combat. If planet exploration is back and I can take guys out from on top of a hill again I'll be happy.

I think I'll be playing as Infiltrator too.

- J - D -

Dialogue:

Building upon the rich history of strategic dialogue that has defined the Mass Effect series, you can make meaningful choices in every conversation you have with characters that impact the way your game evolves. The next Mass Effect adds deeper control over your conversations through a greater ability to interrupt and change the course of the conversation as it is happening. During certain conversations, you will be able to take action based choices, such as the option to pull out your gun and force someone to open a door instead of convincing them to do it through conversational guile. Action based choices give you more options for how you approach dialogue with characters in the game and can lead to more extreme outcomes on the story as it evolves around the decisions you make when interacting with a huge cast of NPC characters

This sounds vaguely like the signature Interrupt mechanic is making a return, but I'm reading it like these will be more like an option on the dialogue menu rather than the reactive QTE moments from ME2 and 3. I hope that's the case because while I generally liked the Interrupt system, I'd be more interested in expanded dialogue options.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah this, and I was banking on them finally making the lineup something like Human/Asari/Turian/Salarian. Especially since Inquisition basically did it.

Nope, a few aliens and 3-4 boring humans for you, EC. You know this song and dance.

Jibbed

If you're again locked to fucking humans, yet all the other races are appearing, I'd guess the context of the plot is that:

Access to Andromeda galaxy discovered. Each species/empire in the Milky Way develops their own outer-galaxy colony program (hence the appearance of Krogans). The Alliance has the Pathfinder Initiative, which you're leading. Everybody arrives. It's essential the Wild West of Mass Effect, everyone vying for land, while also conflicting with the species already calling the galaxy home. Remnant artefacts turn out to be Reapers. Suddenly Cerberus is there for some reason. Everything is shit.

This made me laugh hard.

Fuckin' Cerberus man. You know they're gonna be there. Andromeda is like, their main galaxy. Every one of the 100's of explorable worlds will have an extensive Cerberus underground base which needs to be fought through and destroyed to claim the planet.

Then you have to Skype the Illusive Man's son for 20 minutes and explain how you don't agree with his methods but you're going to do everything he says anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This sounds vaguely like the signature Interrupt mechanic is making a return, but I'm reading it like these will be more like an option on the dialogue menu rather than the reactive QTE moments from ME2 and 3. I hope that's the case because while I generally liked the Interrupt system, I'd be more interested in expanded dialogue options.

Sounds like they're trying to go back to what ME1 conversations were first marketed as.

Nope, a few aliens and 3-4 boring humans for you, EC. You know this song and dance.

One day I'll control this franchise and turn it into the alien only love sim it deserves to be.

Alo0oy

Banned
The good news is that isn't happening

The bad news is
that you're playing as Shepard and Liara's daughter.

Oh and synthesis is canon.

The sad part is that I could totally see them doing exactly what you said.

Come on Bioware, redeem yourselves!

wolfhowwl

Banned
Iono, Cerberus. Have you heard of Cerberus?

I wouldn't mind seeing them again
Okay, I'm lying.

Seeing them in the multiplayer wouldn't be bad though. It never gets old seeing people actually try to go hand to hand with a Phantom.

It seems like they're connecting the MP to the SP, but it could be cool if it had some returning factions from the original games just for the horde mode.

One day I'll control this franchise and turn it into the alien only love sim it deserves to be.

Speaking of that, isn't it time, that we the fans, finally get the Krogan romance we all deserve?

tumblr_m837fyHv3f1rq9btxo1_250.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lol Bioware really cant seem to actually make a forward looking scifi game. First the protheans, now the remnants (what a dumb fucking name for a dead civilization btw)

Lakitu

st5fu
Lol Bioware really cant seem to actually make a forward looking scifi game. First the protheans, now the remnants (what a dumb fucking name for a dead civilization)

I doubt that's the final name, even within the fiction set within the game.

Lol Bioware really cant seem to actually make a forward looking scifi game. First the protheans, now the remnants (what a dumb fucking name for a dead civilization btw)
"a long lost civilization called the LOSTIES and a mysterious race of aliens known as MYSTERIOS"

Jibbed

Seriously, it would be pretty cool to explore the origins of the Reapers if they did originate from Andromeda. I don't want any interactions or plot influence further than that though.

These Remnants could be pretty sweet but yeah, sounds like Protheans 2.0. Liara will be buzzing.

Sounds great so far... The Mass Effect Inquisition comments seem apt, but I don't mind. It was my GOTY precisely because of the 'War Effort', the day-to-day labour and busy work, the taking territory and resources, managing your territory and sending NPCs to do missions, etc. DAI was somewhat... mostly for show in that regard. But if they can use similar ideas but with much more impact and consequence, and notably a more non-linear effect on the story (rather than just basic 1-way triggers), then I'm all for it.

In terms of plot, I was hoping for something more nuanced and less... epic. Just a contractor for a private company. I was thinking maybe it'd be more corporate, less political or army. But really just a subjective thing. Whatever the reasoning is, I like the exploring, settling, collecting, etc. Regardless of who for or why, better than just pure shooter missions. So I'm happy either way.

Vico

Sounds really good if true, however that would mean we probably wouldn't even see the Citadel, and honestly I can't imagine a ME game without that location.

Kinda get Stargate Atlantis no-return vibes from this.

Maybe humans found a super mass relay during the reaper invasion, almost finished by the Protheans as a last-resort way to escape from the reapers (but having to give up everything). Humans finish the project and send people through in a desperate one-shot experiment.
Can't go back, can't even call home maybe. Try to establish a new home for humanity, assuming that everything in the milky way is dead.

But then again, there's stuff like the Krogan colony ship, so....

More Battlestar Galactica I think. But sounds interesting nonetheless

JayEH

Seems very Dragon Age Inquisition like which isn't surprising given they said that would be the basis for all their games.

Not happy with that at all. The format they had for the original trilogy was good, not a fan of the way Inquisition handled things. Really hope it turns out better than it did for DA.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I've hoped that maybe ME4 would make me interested in ME again after not caring at all about ME3, but that description makes it sound very generic and boring. I guess Bioware just doesn't make games that interest me anymore.

Top Bottom