• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mass Effect 4 details leak through survey

Bittercup

So only human as playable species? That would be disappointing to me.
The rest sounds fine.
I'm especially excited about the MP parts. ME3's MP was great.

Outside of the (seemingly optional) Destiny-ish stuff, this all sounds exactly the kind of thing I want from a Mass Effect game.

So it sounds like you won't have the option to play as an alien species like an Asari, Krogan, Drell, etc. Human characters in Mass Effect are boring. :(

I like the colony building and exploration things they mentioned but I can't help but feel it'll be full of DA:I fetchquest busywork just to see minor boosts in abilities and skills.

Also being the ones to save the galaxy again sounds really lame. It all comes to execution though, as long as they have great writing, a good cast of characters and story based side quests then it wouldn't seem so bad.

There really needs to be more space focused RPGs out there other than mass effect.

The ending really did fuck them over, if we really going to completely different galaxy. I wonder what space magic/technobabble they going to use to explain this . A super duper secret relay ?

Probably would of been better if they put this in me3. Fighting a losing war and delay the attack while everyone else escapes; might be better.

I can see these features being very polarized with people if Bioware isn't careful.

Lingitiz

That sounds like it would fit right into the Dragon Age Inquisition template they established. Land on big open world planets, explore them, do MMO style collection quests, etc. Let's hope it's more than that though.

Even if it is DAI style, I like the Mass Effect combat way more so it could turn out better. But holy shit do I dislike that structure.

Walshicus

Andromeda seems popular in games at the moment then. Star Trek Online has missions there and now ME 4 is based there entirely.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So it sounds like you won't have the option to play as an alien species like an Asari, Krogan, Drell, etc. Human characters in Mass Effect are boring. :(

Yeah this, and I was banking on them finally making the lineup something like Human/Asari/Turian/Salarian. Especially since Inquisition basically did it.

A lot of this sounds really good, and I'm actually a fan of those AssCreed BroHood style missions where you can send your squad mates out to do stuff, more so if it has a tangible effect on the world(s) around you.

I'm less excited that it sounds like you're once again playing Human Savior. At the very least I hope the player is just one "pathfinder" out of many.

Also less excited about the "Remnant technology." Just gives me bad Reaper/Prothean flashbacks.

Also don't like how gamey some aspects of it sound with waved based combat modes and unlocking vaults and base defense stuff.

BUT ALL THAT EXPLORATION TALK DOE

AND THE MAKO

AND SEAMLESS SPACE TO GROUND TRAVEL

Almighty

Yeah for all the arguments about how ME4 won't be like DA:I some of that stuff in there makes it sound like it might very well be similar to DA:I with a bit of Assassin's Creed tossed in.

Jigorath

Banned
Really? I was thinking the opposite. The combat in Mass Effect games is great, so more opportunities to fight is good.

All this grindy, base building, fetch quest stuff isn't why I like Mass Effect. I mean I ain't gonna dismiss the game completely based on a survey, it just doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence if the game is taking inspiration from Assassin's Creed and Destiny.

_woLf

Why can't it be finding a new home for the intelligent species of the galaxy, not just humanity?

I want to be an Asari. :(

diamount

Banned
A new galaxy is the best thing to get out of the strains of the previous games, such as Reapers, Protheans and whatever abusive prercusor tropes.

Whether this info is true or not I'm hyped for the next Mass Effect regardless. However I must say all the information that is listed sounds so freaking awesome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why? Isn't that what Mass Effect is basically about?

Mass Effect can be about whatever it wants to be. This isn't the Shepard trilogy and doesn't need to have the "humans are special snowflakes" boner that had in order to be a distinctly Mass Effect game.

Really not happy with another mystical ancient race. I mean I don't mind the concept, but I don't really think bioware can resist the urge to build up the storyline and then have it come to a unfulfilled end.

Despera

Banned
So kind of like Mako landing on ME1, where planets had different hazard levels, but more extreme and a game objective being trying to find ways to combat those hazards. You've 100s of planets to land on, and part of the game's design is finding a way to do just that?
This would be great!

jooso

I really wanted to like the first Mass Effect but couldn't get past the early 360-game jank. Hopefully this is far enough from the plot of the first three games so I can enjoy it as a newcomer.

So Mass Effect in name only, since it will be almost completely removed from anything in the first trilogy.

Might be fun, but after how badly they fucked up the first games, I'm not going to trust them not to fuck up again even if this game, and most importantly it's story and characters, are great. I still can't play ME1&2 because of their what the same people calling the shots with this one did with 3, and those were 2 of my favourite games ever.

And yeah yeah, 'it's the journey that matters', but frankly that's bollocks. The journey can be as wonderful as you like, but if the destination is just utterly horrendous it will taint any good memories you might have from the way there. You could have the best journey home from work ever, meet new friends, buy a winning lottery ticket, be given a free pizza, but if you arrive home to find your spouse and children brutally murdered you're not going to be looking back at that day fondly.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sounds good, with usual measure of AAAA DLC/resource/online management crap that is infecting more and more big games these days.

roytheone

This sounds like a good way to do a kind of soft reset of the franchise and lose the baggage of the original trilogy. I hope it is true.

diamount

Banned
So Mass Effect in name only, since it will be almost completely removed from anything in the first trilogy.

Might be fun, but after how badly they fucked up the first games, I'm not going to trust them not to fuck up again even if this game, and most importantly it's story and characters, are great. I still can't play ME1&2 because of their what the same people calling the shots with this one did with 3, and those were 2 of my favourite games ever.

And yeah yeah, 'it's the journey that matters', but frankly that's bollocks. The journey can be as wonderful as you like, but if the destination is just utterly horrendous it will taint any good memories you might have from the way there. You could have the best journey home from work ever, meet new friends, buy a winning lottery ticket, be given a free pizza, but if you arrive home to find your spouse and children brutally murdered your not going to be looking back at that day fondly.

Different studio, different team, different everything - it will be a fresh set of eyes on the franchise, which is why they probably opted for a completely different galaxy.Your choice of analogy is pretty strange though.

Musolf815

Time and place of the story fits right in with the "not a sequel" talk, the exploration sounds great. I am a bit wary of how the side content sounds.

Teknoman

As long as its got a cool ME 1 style synth soundtrack, decent inventory system, and a combat system that is more RPG than straight up shooter...lets go.

Lime

I imagine there'll be much MMO like grinding and looting, like in DAI. Many of these mechanics point towards it.

As you pilot your space ship, Tempest, across the 100s of solar systems that are seamlessly connected in the next Mass Effect, you will encounter new planets filled with valuable resources, intelligent life, conflict, and alien technology that all give you opportunities to increase the power of your character, your ship and your team so that you can build them into a force that perfectly suits your gameplay style. Transitions between activities, like flying your Tempest (space ship) across a solar system to land on a mineral rich planet, then jumping into your Mako (land vehicle) to explore the surface of planet, all happen smoothly without loading screens.

Very cool to hear

Top Bottom