• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 GDC feature techdemo screengrabs, unveil June [Up: New, Better Shots]

tkscz

Looks about what I expected from Wii U, to be honest.
Nice volumetric clouds.

Wow, you're expecting a LOT more from the Wii U than ANYONE in the Wii U thread, and this coming from a guy who is expecting CryEngine 3.4 for Wii U.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
"It also helps him show that changes can be made to the game’s design and code, recompiled and executed nearly instantly—a technical feat that has been simply unheard-of in game development. And just like that, the silence in the room becomes reverent. The videogame industry has changed."

"That's huge."

Sounds pretty similar to what Unity's already doing, that said, It's one of the features I love most about it.

Cryengine 3 does it too. MARKETING SPEAK, me gusta

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Putting Unity's productivity set into a major engine is going to be a huge victory for them in licensing, especially since developers have preset knowledge about the engine.

Bleh. I want to see skin and lighting like you would see in everyday situations. Like a person in a shower or something. Let's see how close that looks to real and then I'll be impressed.

Erethian

I love how Epic makes it sound like all their own engines short-comings were universal to the whole industry. Let's ignore the fact that Cry Engine 2 did 100% dynamic lighting back in 2007.

Makes me wish for the days when there was major competition between the Quake 2 engine and Unreal engine.

I wonder if UE4 will be as difficult to get running at 60 FPS as UE3 was.

Looks about what I expected from Wii U, to be honest.

enhanced-buzz-21532-1288818794-1.jpg

I wasn't super impressed until I saw that it's running on a single GTX 680.

Plus I'm sure it looks a lot more impressive in motion given all the effects they're touting in the article.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So it may be a UE4.X future for almost all third parties for all next gen titles.

Pretty much. The majority of devs were taught on Unreal engine and using something the majority of incoming employees were trained on removes the need for retraining. UE4 is matching most, if not all of the best features from competing engines further discouraging a switch. Anyone who has used both CE3 and UE3 will tell you that waiting for lighting a shit to build feels like an eternity and that being able to drop right into a level in CE3 feels like an absolute godsend.

DieH@rd

Banned
This looks great, and it will look even better when they move it from PC to nextgen consoles.

Again, same as Samaritn.... it was made with small team for small amount of time [14 people, few months].

Tain

If those shots are coming from a demo with 100% dynamic lighting, I think it looks pretty gorgeous. Can't wait for real footage.

1-D_FTW

Glad they're serious about having good 3D now. Because you can tell by those photos that in would look like a great little animated toy world in 3D.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like something off the side of a gpu box.
Sad, but true.
This looks great, and it will look even better when they move it from PC to nextgen consoles.

Again, same as Samaritn.... it was made with small team for small amount of time [14 people, few months].
And unlike Samaritan, it was initially shown off running on a GPU set-up that will actually be seen in people's computers.

Looks good. Really, really good, and I'm sure it'll look even better in motion. But it's not what I'd consider a full generational leap over the best of PS3/360, and it certainly doesn't make Samaritan "look like crap."

Also, I wish someone would just flat-out ask Mark Rein or Sweeney where (whether) Wii U fits in here, but I suspect that most of the journalists who have had the opportunity are already under the assumption that Wii U is nothing more than a current-gen console.

1-D_FTW

please make 3D go away, pleaaase

Thankfully it's not. See the recent PR release from Epic.

But the thing I don't get about these statements: most of these comments come from console gamers. On the PC side it's irrelevant. If adds nothing to game development costs and the consumer can choose to have a vivid world or a flat world.

But for consoles? The world where shitty framerates reign supreme? I would think everyone would be clamoring for 3D. Because even if you hate it, it means the developers must design an engine with a framerate that doesn't suck. Good framerates are the most important element for gameplay. Therefore, 3D = the terrorists losing.

Pociask

Screw the screen shots. The biggest news from that article is the great news about making production quicker and more efficient. Also, the Kismet scripting tool sounds pretty awesome.

Of course, you still have stuff like this:

. . . says Cliff Bleszinski, Epic’s design director. “It is up to Epic, and Tim Sweeney in particular, to motivate Sony and Microsoft not to phone in what these next consoles are going to be. It needs to be a quantum leap. They need to damn near render Avatar in real time, because I want it and gamers want it—even if they don’t know they want it.”

Which is at odds with the focus on making production more cost efficient. I think when most people reacted with horror to "$599", CliffyB got a funny feeling in his pants. Of course everyone "wants" Avatar like graphics - who wouldn't? To make an analogy, most people probably also want a car that can go from 0-60 in under 5 seconds. But most people do not buy those cars, because their are other important factors too - especially price!

Zaptruder

Banned
"It also helps him show that changes can be made to the game’s design and code, recompiled and executed nearly instantly—a technical feat that has been simply unheard-of in game development. And just like that, the silence in the room becomes reverent. The videogame industry has changed."

"That's huge."

Sounds pretty similar to what Unity's already doing, that said, It's one of the features I love most about it.

I guess the difference is that Unity is like UE2 quality visuals while... UE4 is... next gen's UE3.

Still, this seems to match features with Cryengine 3 - that has a real time visualization editor too. So what's the big gain of UE4 over CE3? Or will next gen have a more even mix of games from the two engines?

The screen shots aren't that impressive, but if they're saying that it will blow the Samaritan demo out of the water then I'm looking forward to the videos.

Also, if it will reduce development costs that will be a huge boon to the industry.

Or maybe they shouldn't have revealed this through screenshots.

I'm not even sure that would've helped. A screenshot of the Samaritan demo will show you just how impressive looked. This is impressive, but nothing about it really looks light years ahead of the Samaritan demo like Rein suggested it would.

"I guess the difference is that Unity is like UE2 quality visuals while... UE4 is... next gen's UE3."

While UE3 is undoubtedly more powerful than Unity, comparing Unity's visual capabilities to UE2 is mindnumbingly inaccurate.

Frankly, the most interesting things about this engine aren't the ones being depicted in those screenshots. Fully dynamic lighting being standard (to say UE never had dynamic lighting before is utter bullshit, since friggin' UE2 had it; but, it was fairly expensive to use, so for ALL lighting to be dynamic implies something's changed) and destructible environments (I'd like more details on how that one works - does the engine handle this natively, or do you have to specify "hey this wall is destructible and here are the debris models to spawn when you do"?), although somebody said CryEngine already does the former and I'm fairly certain Frostbite already does the latter.

Also curious how far this can scale down. If Wii U can run the games without a few bells and whistles (less AA, less particle effects, 30FPS vs. 60FPS, etc), that would be a huge step toward escaping the same fate the Wii had (where, since it couldn't run UE3 at all, it was outright ignored for a vast swathe of titles).

I'd like to remain optimistic, honestly. If current generation consoles can run games with some of UE4's bigger features, then I'd imagine UE4 itself can scale down to run acceptably on weaker hardware, regardless of how insanely high Cliffy B. and Tim Sweeney want the resulting hardware to be. (I mean, they'll have to, anyway, given the wide range of PC hardware...)

RooMHM

Actually it looks worse because of art and the use of bloom that Epic still hasn't understood after all those years. It is technologically more impressive tho.

jaypah

It looks nice in these shots but without seeing it in motion I can't see the behavior of the lighting and particles, which is what I'm most interested in and what the author of this article found most impressive. No choice for me but to wait until E3 to make any kind of judgment whatsoever outside of saying the screens look nice. Ah well, just a few more weeks.

Edit: I also want to see how the lava flows. I'm hoping that liquids are better represented next Gen.

Screw the screen shots. The biggest news from that article is the great news about making production quicker and more efficient. Also, the Kismet scripting tool sounds pretty awesome.

Of course, you still have stuff like this:

Which is at odds with the focus on making production more cost efficient. I think when most people reacted with horror to "$599", CliffyB got a funny feeling in his pants. Of course everyone "wants" Avatar like graphics - who wouldn't? To make an analogy, most people probably also want a car that can go from 0-60 in under 5 seconds. But most people do not buy those cars, because their are other important factors too - especially price!

The whole reducing dev time down to 12 months is marketing BS to get people to buy/fund their engine. A drastic increase in power results in a race for the top/bottom which increases budgets. Basically, it brings hollywood syndrome to game development.

Top Bottom