• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 GDC feature techdemo screengrabs, unveil June [Up: New, Better Shots]

Dibbz

The foliage system was upgraded in the last year or so in UDK, but road support seems to be some sort of sore spot, with threads being locked on the UDK forums for people asking about it due to discussion of anything relating to other engines being banned.

As far as I know your best option is to create roads in specialized modeling tools and just import them as giant meshes. Or something like that.

I'm sad to hear about the dynamic light thing, if that means that CryEngine3 will support a ton of dynamic lights and UE4 will not. I just want good, efficient dynamic lighting and shadows, for free, working on old hardware. Oh, and a pony would be nice too. :p

The new foliage system is ok but it's still limited. For example if you paint foliage with the new system it will not be able to interact with the world or player from my understanding. You have to place them manually which is a pain for large levels.

Also yeah I just import huge stretches of road into the engine now and in the future will probably ditch trying to use landscape if I'm putting in roads/paths and probably just make it all externally and import it.

So far Cry Engine 3 looks to be a step above UE4 with some of the features they've shown off but I'll definitely try them both out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm sad to hear about the dynamic light thing, if that means that CryEngine3 will support a ton of dynamic lights and UE4 will not. I just want good, efficient dynamic lighting and shadows, for free, working on old hardware. Oh, and a pony would be nice too. :p

Cryengine 3 is going to support tons dynamic lights? Or are you just guessing? Because they haven't really shown anything pointing to that ability. Even their latest tech demo only used a couple per scene.

USIGSJ

I was actually referring to the number of dynamic objects because it's needed to revoxelize the structure for those.
Regarding number of dynamic lights both engines are deferred so you can have large number of dynamic lights, as long as you don't overlap their radius. Good thing with GI is that you'll actually have less lights because of the light bounce.
Both things are covered here around 25:15

http://nvidia.fullviewmedia.com/siggraph2012/ondemand/SB134.html

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If it helps here is a changelog for CE 3.4.

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=88043

Not really seeing anything there that would point towards it. Anyways, it still comes down to hardware and how many lights can actually be handled without serious performance drops. Unless one of the two companies works magic, I don't think the current target specs for next-gen consoles are going to be able to handle a ton of real-time light sources without cutting quality level somewhere.

-SD-

Banned
Snagged a couple of nice looking UE4 pics out of the PDF.

ue4_siggraph2012_039pyp0.png

ue4_siggraph2012_02lzz2g.png

Top Bottom