• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4 GDC feature techdemo screengrabs, unveil June [Up: New, Better Shots]

squidyj

The difference between The Witcher 2 and UE4 is that TW2, being a DX9 title, relies a lot on pre-baked lighting. While it can look as good as fully real-time lighting, it introduces limitations in scope, interactivity as well as increasing the time and effort required to design the environments.

One of the prime reasons Mirror's Edge looks so great is the lighting. But in ME the lighting had to be "baked" into textures, a process that could take from several minutes to hours to complete.

With fully dynamic bouncing lighting, you don't need to wait for a lightmap render to see how a change in the level will look like. Destructible geometry and dynamic objects can blend against static geometry seamlessly without the need to limit the possible light configurations. Even in engines which use deferred lighting and no lightmaps at all, artists still need to add dummy lights here and there to make up for the lack of light irradiation.

CryEngine 3 did great strides into dynamic lighting (on the PC) and UE4 seems to be a step forward.

This screen is a good example:
ue4_042fd3vgtf9t.jpeg

The golden statue is reflecting light from the fireplace. The silver statue is reflecting light from the golden statue. You can even see that the ground is reflecting light from the golden statue too. In current-gen engines, you'd need to manually place lightprobes or bake reflection maps for the statues which would only look correct if they never moved and the fireplace couldn't be extinguished.

BUT THE SPECULAR HIGHLIGHT ISN'T BEING PROPERLY OCCLUDED OMG SO LAST GEN.

So, one of the bigger mysteries regarding UE4: Who exactly mandated that Epic put the GDC showing under NDA? Rein said it wasn't their choice, and his wording at the time implied that they weren't sure they'd be able to show it off as early as E3.

It wouldn't have been nVidia, since they'd have loved for as many people as possible to see what Kepler is capable of.
It shouldn't have been Microsoft or Sony, since they're not showing their next consoles at E3.
It couldn't have been Nintendo, since while Wii U may or may not run UE4 in some form, it's fairly safe to say that it isn't capable of doing so at a level that Epic would want to show off publicly anytime soon.

I wonder if we'll ever find out.

To be honest, the Samaritan stuff looked quite a bit more impressive to me than this...but lets see what difference a vid makes...maybe the tired subject matter is jading my opinion

StevieP

Banned
To be honest, the Samaritan stuff looked quite a bit more impressive to me than this...but lets see what difference a vid makes...maybe the tired subject matter is jading my opinion

3 high end GPUs vs 1 high end GPU. Doesn't matter how much better Kepler is, you still have less hardware grunt to work with. Don't know what people were expecting.

MrBig

3 high end GPUs vs 1 high end GPU. Doesn't matter how much better Kepler is, you still have less hardware grunt to work with. Don't know what people were expecting.

This was also more of a tech preview than the consumer preview that Samaritan was. The biggest part of the video was them showing real time C++ compiling and editing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't think that was a factor, because they were using the extra grunt for IQ.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That mountain shots reminds me of some shots I've snapped from The Witcher 2, where the lighting, shadows, art and subtle blurs create a weird uncanny valley effect. It doesn't look 'real', but looks real enough to be something like a miniature. The mountain range looks gorgeous, but I cant unsee it being a miniature, downscaled physical model, kind of like what they use in film.

It's because the snow is too big.

Until i see someone playing through, its just nice screens.

I personally thought that "blade runner" type video was a lot better graphically. This doesn't look as good for some reason.

dummydecoy

Batman AC looks unbelievable, and I'm only playing on my poor console. The next batman will blow my brains out. HNNGGGGG!!!

squidyj

Thanks, you just destroyed next-gen for me.

You're welcome.

I don't normally do this but if you're talking about how much better Samaritan looked then this isn't really for you. They demonstrated a fair bit of technical prowess although, of course, it's difficult to perceive GI solutions in stills. That it doesn't look better because the lighting isn't as dramatic or the character models/textures aren't as detailed are not really significant to what they were trying to show with these shots.

When something looks better, you just notice it hands down.

You wouldn't need any sort of geeky explanation on how this new engine performs better here and there. And thats what I see Epic doing all over the place.

If they delivered Avatar graphics they wouldn't need to explain the geometry, and how dynamic are the new dynamics. And particles about particles.

If they had got something close to Avatar they would need to press the play button only and everyone would agree: "This is next gen"

Those unreal engine 4 shots are just showing how the industry hit a brickwall with hardware limitations vs real life graphics. Imo.

Cmd. Pishad'aç;38112222 said:

You wouldn't need any sort of geeky explanation on how this new engine performs better here and there. And thats what I see Epic doing all over the place.

If they delivered Avatar graphics they wouldn't need to explain the geometry, and how dynamic are the new dynamics. And particles about particles.

If they had got something close to Avatar they would need to press the play button only and everyone would agree: "This is next gen"

Those unreal engine 4 shots are just showing how the industry hit a brickwall with hardware limitations vs real life graphics. Imo.

I think they post "explanations" to prove that it isn't fake, kinda like that Killzone BS a few years back. And i would say that it doesnt even look as good as that. This isnt no Avatar. I dont even think this looks that much better than Gears3 to be honest. More details sure, but is this why we need next gen? For more details? I dunno.

You're welcome.

I don't normally do this but if you're talking about how much better Samaritan looked then this isn't really for you. They demonstrated a fair bit of technical prowess although, of course, it's difficult to perceive GI solutions in stills. That it doesn't look better because the lighting isn't as dramatic or the character models/textures aren't as detailed are not really significant to what they were trying to show with these shots.

Exactly.

MrBig

None of those things were their intention, that is why they are not flaunting this video like they did with samaritan. This is a tech demo, shown to Epic's studio partners, showing technical possibilities with their new engine. They're moving from Unreal Script to real time C++ coding, that is a HUGE change.

squidyj

or they developed the demo to appeal to devs and not end-users.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
None of those things were their intention, that is why they are not flaunting this video like they did with samaritan. This is a tech demo, shown to Epic's studio partners, showing technical possibilities with their new engine. They're moving from Unreal Script to real time C++ coding, that is a HUGE change.

Are they using LLVM or something else to convert C++ to a kind of UnrealScript IL, or is it compiling to a native lib?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Can't wait for all the ignorance in this thread to be washed away violently when the first true next gen UE4 games are shown..

Can't tell the difference my ass.

Can't wait for all the ignorance in this thread to be washed away violently when the first true next gen UE4 games are shown..

Can't tell the difference my ass.

This is NeoGAF dude. There are some big differences but I feel that Epic may have hyping it up a little bit too much. But will wait to see in motion.

Not game design but Compsci. I do want to get into game programming though.
I wish I had te edication and underatanding of game design, etc since it'd be easier to understand what you and others in this thread are so excited about, though I definitely like the improved texture and lighting that i see.

gatti-man

Honestly, that looks like God Of War 3 level graphics. Nothing new or exciting.

Lol wow. As someone who played god of war 3 you are confusing good art and technique with actual graphic ability. This isnt some high end game demo its a tech demo. Meaning art and design really arent the focus, only engine features and ability.

Lol wow. As someone who played god of war 3 you are confusing good art and technique with actual graphic ability. This isnt some high end game demo its a tech demo. Meaning art and design really arent the focus, only engine features and ability.

Yea. One thing that annoyed be greatly with GoW 3 was the textures. From the pics in the OP it seems that improved textures will be one of the best features of next gen.

Yep. Like I get that at first glance it doesn't look too crazy but when you understand what's actually going on under the hood it's likely a different story. I've never been a huge graphic whore though so what do I know

I wish I had te edication and underatanding of game design, etc since it'd be easier to understand what you and others in this thread are so excited about, though I definitely like the improved texture and lighting that i see.

Its just nice to see so many things that previously would take 2 or 3 seconds to render being done in real time. Shows alot of good progress.

Desty

Banned

I tend to agree. Epic has shown more. More polygons with tesselation. More particles with GPU based particles. More lights with deferred rendering. However, for all that more, there is only a few things different. The dynamic GI might be different but it looks like it is only for diffuse surfaces. If you had raytraced materials (1-2 bounce) APU/GPU accelerated in real time that would be different even if they were super expensive and you could only use them sparingly. If you had an integrated fluid engine that would be different. Face capture pipeline. Muscle system for characters (or even pose based deformation). These things are different in that we have only caught glimpses of them in current games. Putting that all together would make it clearly next gen.

I do agree that productivity enhancements are part of next gen and that is an element that Epic will probably also promote.

We just have to wait for the video. I do think that Crytek will be able to beat it. Nothing in the screenshots looks like it is so far ahead that it cannot be replicated by other companies. If anything Epic is catching up to Crytek with this release. They need to leverage their tight integration and iteration if this is the limit of their graphics improvements.

Even at this stage, I doubt UE4 will be ready for next gen launch. This is the same razzle dazzle technique that UE3 had but in the end UE3 was delayed way past Gen3 launch.

If anyone is interested on techy part, Siggraph 2012 paper on Elemental demo is up:

SIGGRAPH 2012: The Technology Behind the "Unreal Engine 4 Elemental Demo"

Thanks.

Quick initial comments.

I guess FXAA is going to be heavily relied on in at least early UE4-based games. And I think this has more evidence 720p is going to be heavily targeted early on as well.

And what is "1080p @ 90%"? 90% of the demo is real-time at 1080p? Or it was all real-time, but at 1080p 90% of the time?

USIGSJ

Not sure what they mean by that (maybe some dynamic res like in Rage), though i jumped straight to the lighting part. It looks that it's optimized a bit for dynamic objects, but it seems that still they can't have too many of them in the scene.

Dibbz

Can't wait to play with this engine but has there been any word on improving the current landscape system and maybe adding in some sort of road creation system? Or at least improving Spline Loft Actors so they can receive shadows and collide :(

Hopefully the foliage system will also gets a big bump in functionality to put it on par with Cry Engine.

Blizzard

Banned
Can't wait to play with this engine but has there been any word on improving the current landscape system and maybe adding in some sort of road creation system? Or at least improving Spline Loft Actors so they can receive shadows and collide :(

Hopefully the foliage system will also gets a big bump in functionality to put it on par with Cry Engine.
The foliage system was upgraded in the last year or so in UDK, but road support seems to be some sort of sore spot, with threads being locked on the UDK forums for people asking about it due to discussion of anything relating to other engines being banned.

As far as I know your best option is to create roads in specialized modeling tools and just import them as giant meshes. Or something like that.

I'm sad to hear about the dynamic light thing, if that means that CryEngine3 will support a ton of dynamic lights and UE4 will not. I just want good, efficient dynamic lighting and shadows, for free, working on old hardware. Oh, and a pony would be nice too. :p

Top Bottom