• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some prominent Kodi addons are being pulled due to legal threat

badblue

Gold Member
If you don't care about waiting 6-12 months from air dates, Netflix + CraveTV covers the majority of TV stuff. I have Amazon Prime as well, but I have never tried Prime TV.

I wish we had actual HBO Go though.

That's if the rights holder actually does something it. Some companies are buying up the rights to prevent stream, so that the only legal way for us to watch that content is to buy a tv cable package.

How the hell did the kodi thing spread like wildfire anyway?
I know a ton of non tech savvy people that all use it. People I would've never expected to even hear about it let alone know how to use it.

YouTube guides, you can purchase fire sticks with the software and add-ons pre-installed, and the fact that if you have Kodi and someone you know doesn't, at some point that person will buy a firestick and ask you to install it for them.

I'm not lying when I say the overwhelming majority of people I would consider friends or acquaintances have Kodi and pirate movies.

1. TV is a luxury. You don't need it.

2. Netflix and other streaming services are relatively cheap for the vast majority of people.

3. Most of those people using these simply don't want to pay for the content. They could if they wanted to.

1. Okay

2. Something like Bob's Burgers isn't available on the 3 streaming services I'm subbed to (Netflix, Amazon and Hulu). It's not even available through my cable provider. I don't have anything that can play DVDs or Blu-Rays either, so even if I wanted to buy overpriced physical media, I still can't use it. Not saying this is the case for everyone but not everything is always available on those apps.

3. If someone doesn't feel that $14.99 a month to watch Game of Thrones is worth it, who am I to say otherwise? Or maybe they need to put that money towards a medical bill, but I guess they should just slave away 24/7 to make that money and not be able to enjoy life at all.

For every person who uses Kodi to watch legal legitimate content, there are 99 people who use it to stream pirated content.

I'm surprised it took this long for major distributors to take action on this.

Reallink

Why would these add-on developers do this stuff openly, tying obvious piracy enabling shit to themselves/their company that can be sued in the first place? In the fucking US no less, how stupid are they? I figured they were all made by Russian hackers, hosted on ghost servers paid with bitcoin.

Kodi is opensourced, unlike other streaming services. So they take a premade box, like chromecast, firestick, or a roku and jailbreak it. Then they install the Kodi system and because Kodi doesn't have any barriers, pirates software can be installed to stream stuff.

I wonder if they'll start cracking down on the user than just the software developers. Most people smart enough stream using a VPN. The average idiot that thinks it's a magical box streams directly from their own internet.

Lol no one streams through vpn that's pointless. 99% of vpn use is for torrents because that's where people receive letters from their isp from.

2. Something like Bob's Burgers isn't available on the 3 streaming services I'm subbed to (Netflix, Amazon and Hulu). It's not even available through my cable provider. I don't have anything that can play DVDs or Blu-Rays either, so even if I wanted to buy overpriced physical media, I still can't use it. Not saying this is the case for everyone but not everything is always available on those apps.

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/331877/Bobs-Burgers-Season-1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I0C0QK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.hulu.com/bobs-burgers

Mesoian

Why would these add-on developers do this stuff openly, tying obvious piracy enabling shit to themselves/their company that can be sued in the first place? In the fucking US no less, how stupid are they? I figured they were all made by Russian hackers, hosted on ghost servers paid with bitcoin.

You don't actually understand how these addons work do you?

These addons are URL scrapers. They're going to foriegn repository sites that are already hosting this pirated material, resolving the urls from them without the user having to got to them, and then putting them in a easy to navagate menu. When these addons go, those sites will still be there, still be live, and still be accessable via a browser.

They're going after the addon makers because they can't go after the source of the problem. They're puncturing the tires of the truck delivering the cocaine instead of arresting the dealers.

Zapages

that explains why no pakistani / indian channels are working. :(

This really sad for the south asian community in the USA/Canada. :(

As someone who loves KODI but uses it exclusively for my own personal media library, I don't mind this news at all. Last thing I would want is KODI itself disappearing

jstripes

Banned
that explains why no pakistani / indian channels are working. :(

This really sad for the south asian community in the USA/Canada. :(

One could argue these devices are contributing to the lack of integration of newer arrivals. It's so easy to stay in a cozy cultural bubble.

louiedog

You can find How To guides for anything on YouTube. But there must've been something else that really pushed this device. It's truly astounding how poplar it got.

I was in a Target electronics section and this young couple was asking if they had any Amazon Fire TVs and told the clerk it was because they heard they could do some stuff to it with something called Kodi to get free TV. I guess it's just word of mouth mainly. Then there are Facebook ads offering to sell the boxes, youtube videos getting recommended, etc.

edit: Were you around in the late 90s/early 2000s? Everyone was using Napster, Kazaa, etc. It was incredibly easy and got you just about any song you wanted. People told their friends and while a lot of people were much less computer and internet savvy it was easy enough.

Reallink

You don't actually understand how these addons work do you?

These addons are URL scrapers. They're going to foriegn repository sites that are already hosting this pirated material, resolving the urls from them without the user having to got to them, and then putting them in a easy to navagate menu. When these addons go, those sites will still be there, still be live, and still be accessable via a browser.

They're going after the addon makers because they can't go after the source of the problem. They're puncturing the tires of the truck delivering the cocaine instead of arresting the dealers.

I think you missed my point. I'm asking why in flying fuck would (presumably) American's link developments like this to a traceable identity when there are so many precedents for litigious media corps going after small fish and individuals. Whether they are simply interfacing and aggregating links, or hosting it themselves is immaterial, common sense dictates anything even tangentially related to piracy, you anonymize several layers deep. These add-on repos (and sites distributing them) should have never been crediting individuals or named groups, and the packages, communications, and updates should have been hosted exclusively on servers (not paid for with personal accounts) in countries that don't play ball with the piracy courts. There should be no one for these companies to sue, and certainly not enough evidence to even pretend to build a case. Obligatory:

giphy.gif

mcrommert

Banned
Im the "tech guy" of my family and literally every aunt/uncle/cousin I know has asked me about "this kodi thing that plays free movies, how do I get it?"

I show them my nvidia Shield (Playstaion Vue/Netflix/Prime) setup and they are like... "$200 AND $80 a month?!? No thanks!"

Yeah I refused to even entertain it... They are welcome on my plex server but I'm not doing that shit

Firesticks with Kodi installed sell like hotcakes on craigslist and facebook sell groups. LOL there's even one guy on a facebook sell group with a name of Kodi Mike.

pr0cs

I would love to pay. But I can't even watch game of thrones legally in the netherlands. That is ridiculous.

I have a Netflix account btw.
That's exactly the problem.this notion of ownership from country to country is idocy at its finest. I should be able to say "I want to rent a season of game of thrones " and not job thru 40 hoops and have 4 different content providers to get it. The fact Netflix USA is different from Netflix elsewhere is so frustrating

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I sometimes feel like everyone is pirating except me. Last time I did it was c64 video game tapes when I didn't know any better.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
My boss' wife was telling me just now that she watched Wonder Woman and The Mummy on Kodi over the weekend. It's baffling to me how folks don't see anything wrong with this kind of thing.

TimmmV

It is unreasonable though. You're saying you want content but don't feel the creators deserve to get paid for it if it inconveniences you slightly.

I could understand if there was no legal way for you to get those shows, but they are easily accessible for a relatively cheap price.

It's definitely true for football/live sports in the UK

A limited selection of games are shown live on TV - and to get those you need to subscribe to Sky Sports and/or BT Sport depending on who has the rights. IIRC these services cost like £50/£20 a month just by themselves. And its a limited selection too. The majority of games just aren't broadcast on TV.

Whereas people outside the UK are often able to legally sign up to a streaming service that is much cheaper, and gives them access to all of the games.

I really have no sympathy every time the Premier League/Sky complain about people watching illegal streams. They offer a much worse service than streaming, and use their monopoly to price gouge. This is the kind of business practice that piracy should hopefully kill.

Like, the only people I know at my age (late 20's) who have Sky sports are the ones who have parents paying for it, its simply too expensive for millennials to afford by themselves

Future

Movie piracy feels good man. It's like the old black boxes people uses to use for cable back in the day that unlocked all the premium
and adult
channels. Everybody does it and think they are cool and in the know when they do. Especially old people that aren't cool anymore

Even without Kodi it's ridiculously easy. The sources kodi pulls from are just available online in any web browser. I had an old friend show me this site years ago and it's still around. Kodi just makes it pitifully easy and to get it on your tv with shit like the fire stick

Honestly I don't pirate myself. Between Netflix, Prime and Hulu I have more entertainment I will ever watch and have zero desire to see movies as they air anymore. I do want to see tv as it airs, which Hulu delivers and I pay for HBO go. All that for ~$40 a month and I cannot complain

Nah. It'll just get moved to another repo. Then another. Then another. As long as you have a way of informing those where it's going (ie app pop-up) then it will survive.

Exactly, Exodus went down but the savvy people already knew of all the other good repo's so they don't miss a beat and Exodus will just set up shop elsewhere, though probably rebranded with new goodies again. What the cable and media companies are doing s playing a game of whack a mole with all the kodi repo's. Only the mole is actually a hydra that doubles its head every time they get one.

jfkgoblue

It's definitely true for football/live sports in the UK

A limited selection of games are shown live on TV - and to get those you need to subscribe to Sky Sports and/or BT Sport depending on who has the rights. IIRC these services cost like £50/£20 a month just by themselves. And its a limited selection too. The majority of games just aren't broadcast on TV.

Whereas people outside the UK are often able to legally sign up to a streaming service that is much cheaper, and gives them access to all of the games.

I really have no sympathy every time the Premier League/Sky complain about people watching illegal streams. They offer a much worse service than streaming, and use their monopoly to price gouge. This is the kind of business practice that piracy should hopefully kill.

Like, the only people I know at my age (late 20's) who have Sky sports are the ones who have parents paying for it, its simply too expensive for millennials to afford by themselves
It's much cheaper outside of the U.K., because the demand and thus the cost to the carrier is much cheaper.

TimmmV

It's much cheaper outside of the U.K., because the demand and thus the cost to the carrier is much cheaper.

Also because they restrict supply, and sky make you sign up to their basic package in order to get sky sports too

That doesn't change the fact that for a lot of people its prohibitively expensive - and also that they can get a superior experience by pirating a stream from US tv

So yeah, I still have no sympathy really. The entire business model stems from artificially restricting supply to their product, its only good for the PL/Sky not for consumers, so yeah, I don't have much sympathy when they complain about it

jstripes

Banned
Movie piracy feels good man. It's like the old black boxes people uses to use for cable back in the day that unlocked all the premium
and adult
channels. Everybody does it and think they are cool and in the know when they do. Especially old people that aren't cool anymore

My former boss constantly bragged to everyone about his pirate dish box, and always tried to convince them to buy one too. Then they changed the encryption, and his mood changed quite quickly.

Top Bottom