• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Leeness

Only song I haven't listened to yet in full is Do You Want to Build a Snowman? and I guess I'm saving it for tomorrow haha.

For the First Time Ever is ADORABLE and catchy and the duet at the end is amazing. At the moment, this and Let It Go are my faves though Snowman may join when I hear it :)

Hmm, GAF has convinced me to go to the cinema tomorrow night. The latest show possible with the least amount of kiddos, methinks.

TDLink

I just want to talk about the music for a second because honestly my one complaint with the movie, and I really did like it quite a bit, is that there is no real showstopping number (ie, Be Our Guest, A Whole New World, Hellfire, etc.).

It is obvious that Let It Go is supposed to be that but it just...isn't. It somehow isn't strong enough. At least not in my opinion. I really feel that a big number would have pushed it over the top. The songs here, including Let It Go, are instead pretty good and catchy but nothing truly outstanding. It all feels pretty typical of what you expect from Disney.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but from the very beginning the film paints itself as a Disney musical that can stand up with those from the past...and the lack of a song like that is pretty glaring.

The lack of all but one song from the second half is also very odd...and that last song is an odd one to have last, despite it being pretty good and humorous. I feel Tangled suffered this problem too but Frozen overall has better music than that film.

With this movie's songs it kind of feels like they just made sure each main character got to sing in one song...and then made sure Anna got to sing in more than one since she's the protagonist.

I'm kind of rambling but I guess my point is I would have liked more singing from everyone. I would have liked a real show-stopper. And I would have liked more songs in the second half of the movie considering how packed the first half is.

TDLink

I think "I see the light" was on par with previous Disney main songs, to be honest.

Sure, I think "I See the Light" could qualify as a "show-stopper". I don't think Frozen has anything like that. I used the 3 examples I used just to demonstrate that a show-stopper can be an ensemble number (Be Our Guest), duet (A Whole New World), or solo (Hellfire) just in case people were confused about what I meant/thought I was implying it was missing a specific one.

Saw this in 3D this evening with my friends. We all thought it was actually better than Tangled - which we thought was excellent - though I will agree that there is no real show-stopper track.

I can definitely see why Disney took as long as they did with this one as time was beneficial in being able to tell this tale.

Sure, I think "I See the Light" could qualify as a "show-stopper". I don't think Frozen has anything like that. I used the 3 examples I used just to demonstrate that a show-stopper can be an ensemble number (Be Our Guest), duet (A Whole New World), or solo (Hellfire) just in case people were confused about what I meant/thought I was implying it was missing a specific one.

Hellfire is so good. One of my favorite disney songs. Definitely agree with See the Light being among those, the duet in that was great at the end.

Can't wait to see Frozen. Want to see it at midnight tomorrow, but not sure I can convince anyone to come along with me. =/

I See The Light is good, but I actually prefer I've Got A Dream

That, Mother Knows Best, When will my life Begin, all pretty memorable. Hope I can latch onto a song or two in Frozen. A good Disney movie doesn't need them, although it's sort of like a necessity.

Since we’re on the topic of songs - I think it’s a little too early to say if ‘Let It Go’ sits alongside Disney’s all time best like ‘Part of Your World’ or ‘A Whole New World’. I think it’s a little unfair to make that call just yet. It’s better to give it a good five or so years at least and then see what people think of it then once it’s settled in and given some nostalgia injected into it. Personally right now I’d probably say it’s just shy of Disney’s all time classics......although, if the World of Color version is indeed straight from the movie instead of the one from the official soundtrack then I think it actually might be one of Disney’s best - especially when you combine the song with the epicness of what's happening on the screen. One thing I do know right now is that the songs are definitely a step up from Tangled for me.

'For the First Time in Forever' is probably my next favourite song, but it needs to be said that all eight songs are solid - which is something that not all Disney musicals can claim. I feel like Frozen is very consistent in quality even though its peaks might not be the highest of highs - even though like I said before, that opinion might change over time. 'Fixer Upper' really surprised me by the way. It's really catchy and dat ending is really good too. It’s got a nice catchy vibe going on. GAAH!!! I can't wait to hear and see all the songs on the big screen!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I have to wait until home video to see it, but I enjoyed Tangled.

I gotta say I love the art style the two movies have for some reason

Am I setting my expectations too high if I'm thinking this is going to be like Tangled. Tangled was soooooooooooooo good.

Yeah, that's a good point. I had sort of put this movie on the backburner for a long time, but then this thread popped up...

Watched some videos, read the opinions, and now I'm very hype.

I'm not total Disney snob as in everything has to be a certain way, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but like you, the expectations are high now, yes.

Oh, Tricky, that was awesome. Wish my Disney World had World of Color. That's something nice that Land can say that have over World.

Speaking of WDW, here's a couple nice Meet and Greets with Elsa and Anna.

Gonna pick up The Elsa and Anna Disney Infinity pack later today I think :D

Absolutely not! Many people have already said that this is better than Tangled. Believe the hype baby! Aww yissssssssssssss!

Haha, sweeeet. Oh, and nice avatar btw. ;D

Gloam

Frozen was a really good time, the visuals are something else; snow never looked so soft, ice never looked so slippy, really nice CG overall. The songs are also pretty good on the whole though it's not all killer and there are definitely weaker numbers. On the whole though, it's a funny, charming film, check it!

Awwwwwww...that second video is pretty damn cute. It made me smile quite a bit.

I know, right? I love the Anna in this video :) You should look up the rest of his WDW Videos too, they're all heart-warmers for certain. Seeing all the interactions is real Disney Magic. Especially as they all recognize and remember him! Pretty cool stuff.

overcast

I See The Light is one of my favorite Disney songs honestly, helps that the scene is so beautiful.

God, I can't wait to watch this movie this weekend.

Batman – I just watched a ton of other videos where Tommy meets Disney characters. Amazing!

EDIT: I just found out he has autism. As a cousin with autism I find his videos so inspirational......

qindarka

Banned
Am I setting my expectations too high if I'm thinking this is going to be like Tangled. Tangled was soooooooooooooo good.

Absolutely not! Many people have already said that this is better than Tangled. Believe the hype baby! Aww yissssssssssssss!

Well, most of the people who preferred it to Tangled don't seem to rate Tangled that highly. So they could simply be operating on different scales.

I personally am getting a little worried about the film's pacing, being too quick. It's not a majority complaint but has been brought up often enough to raise some concern.

Daffy Duck

Can't wait to take the kids to see this, we all enjoyed Tangled a lot so to hear it's supposed to better than that is great news.

Emwitus

1) Lion king
2) Mulan
3) Tangled
4)Pocahontas
5)Prince of egypt
My top 5. I'm sure i won't be disappointed.

LOL pixar, overrated turds.

Js kidding. And to round out my top 10 in no particular order
Incredibles
Brave
Beauty and the beast
Princes and the frog
Megamind

TDLink

Well, most of the people who preferred it to Tangled don't seem to rate Tangled that highly. So they could simply be operating on different scales.

I personally am getting a little worried about the film's pacing, being too quick. It's not a majority complaint but has been brought up often enough to raise some concern.

I liked Tangled a lot but I think Frozen is a bit better. I do think the pacing is a bit fast but there's not a lot you can do about that. There's a lot of story to fit into a ~90 minute film and you can't really make it much longer (it already actually is a bit longer) or kids get antsy.

While I thought this had a lot of the same problems as Tangled, mainly characters reaching moments of realization a bit too easily and an across-the-board feeling of spending just a bit too little time on everything, it's a bit harder to forgive in Frozen as there's an entire song/segment that just sucks.

The
__troll__
song (and their presence in the movie at all, honestly) is an absolute misfire, a sudden dose of bad-years-Dreamworks inside one of the best damn things Disney has done, and unfortunately that song is a pivotal moment in what is already the movie's weakest thread. If they had nailed the song even half as much as they nailed the rest - and holy shit did they nail the rest - it would have tightened up that whole stretch of the movie, but as it is it winds up being like a circus tent with one pole missing midway through. A big song at the end would have helped to balance things out a bit but the singing kind of stops in the second half.

It's frustrating because so much of the movie was damn fantastic. That first act is the kind of thing I've been wanting from Pixar for the last few years. And the (front-loaded) songs, man, they go big and it rocks. I just wish that one part of the movie didn't drag things down.

Edit: Overall I liked Tangled more (as one of the crazy people who consider Tangled to possibly be their favorite Disney movie). The first act of Frozen is better than anything Disney has done in forever but the rest of the movie droops down a bit.

petethepanda, I agree with you that that particular song was the weakest. And I don't want to quash anybody's hype, but people who are invoking Howard Ashman are...well, a little off-base :) It is certainly in a more modern musical style than Ashman, but it does not approach his brilliance. I would love to see the South Park guys try their hands at a Disney musical, If only they would work clean :p

87% on RT which is certainly respectable I just hope it is a success

We'll see it when it's released here in England my boy loves the snowman in the trailers! He's only 2 though so no 3d for us

UrbanRats

When you guys rank Disney songs, do you favor lyrics, music or general context first?
I feel depending on which of the three, i'd have completely different rankings.

TDLink

When you guys rank Disney songs, do you favor lyrics, music or general context first?
I feel depending on which of the three, i'd have completely different rankings.

I feel like the best songs are great even when viewed or listened to out of context. The music and lyrics should both be top notch.

Alan Menken and Howard Ashman worked so well together because one was a master of composition and one was a master lyricist. The films after Ashman's death vary wildly in song quality due to Menken sometimes working with better lyricists than others.

Menken of course hasn't done all of the Disney musicals, but he's done the majority which is why he's a pretty good constant to use. I feel like all of his films have very strong composition but the lyrics can make them not as memorable.

For a non-Menken film Frozen did pretty great in both composition and lyrics. It just needed a bit more.

Oozer3993

I just glanced at a tracklist before seeing the movie, not wanting to spoil myself on any part of the songs. I had no idea a song titled "Do You Want To Build A Snowman?" would be so utterly heartbreaking. That whole sequence is incredible. The first third of the movie is nearly perfect.

I agree almost completely with petethepanda. The movie gets weird at the worst time. I think the movie would have been much stronger if the
trolls were instead a more elegant, elf-like race. I know that's cliche, but making the lynch pin magical race of the movie small, rock-like, eccentric trolls just does not fit with the rest of the film. And Elsa's realization at the end happens way too quickly. It was like she had been trying to name all 7 dwarfs earlier, got stuck on the last one, then suddenly remembered during the climax. Just, "oh yeah, Sleepy!"

I feel like the best songs are great even when viewed or listened to out of context. The music and lyrics should both be top notch.

Alan Menken and Howard Ashman worked so well together because one was a master of composition and one was a master lyricist. The films after Ashman's death vary wildly in song quality due to Menken sometimes working with better lyricists than others.

Menken of course hasn't done all of the Disney musicals, but he's done the majority which is why he's a pretty good constant to use. I feel like all of his films have very strong composition but the lyrics can make them not as memorable.

For a non-Menken film Frozen did pretty great in both composition and lyrics. It just needed a bit more.

I'll agree with this, which is why though I'm fond of For the First Time in Forever and Let It Go, they're still not quite up to par with I See the Light or even I've Got a Dream from Tangled; I See the Light is one of my favorites and it was an instant classic for me, as was Kingdom Dance.

Wdr6QjB.jpg

: (

Leeness

Loved it.

Except for that one scene with Fixer Upper. That was...unfortunate lol.

Other than that, fantastic, though they could have used one more song in the second half.

Oh, and Get a Horse was AWESOME.

Wanted to punch the kid sitting in front of me. I should have told his parents to take him out, he was screaming and babbling the entire movie. Kind of glad I listened to the soundtrack beforehand because all I could think of during Let It Go was "stfu kid".

qindarka

Banned
Listening to the deleted songs, I've noticed that
there was an Elsa song while she was locked in the dungeons. Been thinking that it may not have been such a good idea to cut that out. Noticed a few complaints that the songs dry up in the second half and the comedic Fixer Upper is an odd choice for a final song.

Leeness

Listening to the deleted songs, I've noticed that
there was an Elsa song while she was locked in the dungeons. Been thinking that it may not have been such a good idea to cut that out. Noticed a few complaints that the songs dry up in the second half and the comedic Fixer Upper is an odd choice for a final song.

That would have been good, I'm going to listen to the entire soundtrack now and see if that song would have worked. Fixer Upper was...yeah. Lol. Only scene in the movie where I was like...oh...oh no...

Palmer_v1

Great movie! I loved all the characters, including Olaf. He was not annoying AT ALL. I'd argue he has the funniest song in the movie, in fact.

My only regret was watching an early showing where there were a lot of annoying kids. I suggest watching a later version so you can pay full attention.

Short at the beginning was kinda cool too.

Leeness

Great movie! I loved all the characters, including Olaf. He was not annoying AT ALL. I'd argue he has the funniest song in the movie, in fact.

My only regret was watching an early showing where there were a lot of annoying kids. I suggest watching a later version so you can pay full attention.

Short at the beginning was kinda cool too.

OH YEAH. Olaf.

He was actually great. "I have no skull. Or skeleton" killed me. He was really naively sweet.

Oozer3993

Loved, loved, loved Olaf's song. He was great all around too.
"You hesitated"
absolutely killed me in the trailer, and it slayed the audience at my screening.

Similarly to Tangled, a favorite actor or actress of mine from TV absolutely blew me away with their performance and specifically their singing. Zachary Levi was great in Tangled, and Kristen Bell was wonderful in Frozen.

The "Get A Horse" short was incredible. I'd say 3D is damn near a requirement for it.

P.S. To anyone who might ask me "Do you want to build a snowman" in the near future: It's not your fault, I'm not tearing up because of you. It's Frozen's fault. I'd put that whole sequence up there with Kingdom Dance/I See The Light from Tangled and Once Upon A Dream from Sleeping Beauty as my favorite sequences from a Disney movie.

Leeness

Loved, loved, loved Olaf's song. He was great all around too.
"You hesitated"
absolutely killed me in the trailer, and it slayed the audience at my screening.

Similarly to Tangled, a favorite actor or actress of mine from TV absolutely blew me away with their performance and specifically their singing. Zachary Levi was great in Tangled, and Kristen Bell was wonderful in Frozen.

The "Get A Horse" short was incredible. I'd say 3D is damn near a requirement for it.

P.S. To anyone who might ask me "Do you want to build a snowman" in the near future: It's not your fault, I'm not tearing up because of you. It's Frozen's fault. I'd put that whole sequence up there with Kingdom Dance/I See The Light from Tangled and Once Upon A Dream from Sleeping Beauty as my favorite sequences from a Disney movie.

Agreed with all.

Do you want to build a snowman....we wouldn't have to build a snowman... :'(

And the entire Let It Go sequence as glorious.

Top Bottom