• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

qindarka

Banned
While we are at it, Spanish pop version of Love is an Open Door, also with new footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRTtXPFS2xQ

Also makes me feel rather sad.

And after posting all those reviews, I'm obligated to post negative ones as well:

It's never very funny, nor is the music particularly memorable. Two big strikes right there.

http://hollywoodandfine.com/frozen-unthawed/

‘FROZEN’ TRIES AND FAILS TO BE BOTH TRADITIONAL AND MODERN

http://moviemezzanine.com/frozen-review/

qindarka

Banned
When they mention the "no pop culture references" thing, they're on the money.
Having pop-culture references not only is lame now, but it ages your movie incredibly fast.

It's pretty much the norm now for animated movies not to be overloaded with pop-culture references. Even Dreamworks who are so closely associated with that practice hasn't really indulged in it for a while.

That said, Frozen does have at least a few pop-culture references, though it may be more subtle in nature. Examples:

In the song, Love is an Open Door, the line about finishing each other's sandwiches is probably a reference to Arrested Development.
A scene during the song In Summer is also a reference to the famous image from The Sound of Music.

UrbanRats

It's pretty much the norm now for animated movies not to be overloaded with pop-culture references. Even Dreamworks who are so closely associated with that practice hasn't really indulged in it for a while.

That said, Frozen does have at least a few pop-culture references, though it may be more subtle in nature. Examples:

In the song, Love is an Open Door, the line about finishing each other's sandwiches is probably a reference to Arrested Development.
A scene during the song In Summer is also a reference to the famous image from The Sound of Music.

I don't think a couple of very minor references are too harmful, especially if they are not referencing incredibly topical stuff (Simpsons' modern episodes are probably the worst offenders i can think of right now).

Also, i agree things are getting much better in that regard.

Just came back from a screening. I would put it up with Tangled, and a step ahead of Wreck-it-Ralph. 3D is solid. Songs are OK, not terribly memorable. I think it's done with a confidence that Disney hasn't shown in years, but I wouldn't put it in the top tier of their animated classics. It does dabble in the princess BS (obviously because that prints money for Disney) but it's still populated with good, interesting female characters, and the core plot really doesn't need the princess trappings. Snowman sidekick looked really punchable in the poster but is actually sweet and funny.

Go see it, it's good! Gonna make loooooots of dough.

Oh, and the Mickey short is neat; won't spoil it for anyone in case there are secrets that aren't well known.

Just came back from a screening. I would put it up with Tangled, and a step ahead of Wreck-it-Ralph. 3D is solid. Songs are OK, not terribly memorable. I think it's done with a confidence that Disney hasn't shown in years, but I wouldn't put it in the top tier of their animated classics. It does dabble in the princess BS (obviously because that prints money for Disney) but it's still populated with good, interesting female characters, and the core plot really doesn't need the princess trappings. Snowman sidekick looked really punchable in the poster but is actually sweet and funny.

Oh, and the Mickey short is neat; won't spoil it for anyone in case there are secrets that aren't well known.

ibfueZLi1WJUkg.gif

Feep

Banned
Got back from an early screening at the Disney lot today.

This truly feels like *old school* Disney, 90's Renaissance style. Princess and the Frog didn't capture it, Tangled didn't capture it. This captures it, whatever it is.

Music is solid if not utterly fantastic, dialogue is snappy, characters are decent. Due to the high amount of awesome snow particle effects, I recommend a 3-D viewing.
Alan Tudyk
is predictably awesome as the old guy.

The short before the film, Get a Horse, was also super rad.

GO SEE IT

Edit: Zed, were you at the same screening I was at? Burbank, 11 AM?

Oh, and there's not one, but TWO
Arrested Development
references. Catch them both!

Nesotenso

I thought the trailers were really weak . Good to see that this is getting praise. I loved Tangled, so matching that means I will like this one as well.

Shame to hear that about the songs. Tangled's soundtrack was wonderful, See the Light simply heightened that movie, although good to hear Frozen's merit's alone elevate it.

Got back from an early screening at the Disney lot today.

This truly feels like *old school* Disney, 90's Renaissance style. Princess and the Frog didn't capture it, Tangled didn't capture it. This captures it, whatever it is.

Music is solid if not utterly fantastic, dialogue is snappy, characters are decent. Due to the high amount of awesome snow particle effects, I recommend a 3-D viewing.
Alan Tudyk
is predictably awesome as the old guy.

The short before the film, Get a Horse, was also super rad.

GO SEE IT

Edit: Zed, were you at the same screening I was at? Burbank, 11 AM?

Oh, and there's not one, but TWO
Arrested Development
references. Catch them both!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it too and the music even more. I'll reserve judgement for opening day, of course. Also that's awesome on the
Arrested Development
references!

qindarka

Banned
I’ve updated the OP with music directly from the soundtrack instead of recordings from the Disney Store.

Thanks. Here in Australia, not only do we get the film a month late but the soundtrack is also a few days late.

I like that they included the deleted songs. Really should have been a practice all this time, as it is it may be another 5 years before we have another musical from WDAS.

Shame to hear that about the songs. Tangled's soundtrack was wonderful, See the Light simply heightened that movie, although good to hear Frozen's merit's alone elevate it.

Well obviously YMMV. I'm pretty harsh on soundtracks :p With the exception of one song, they fit pretty well and move the story along as they should in any good musical. I think I liked the Tangled soundtrack a little better. If you don't mind spoilers, there's plenty to listen to in the OP :)

MNC

That Mickey short 1 minute preview is amazing! I don't know if it's my mindset that's been altered to today's standard, or that Disney shorts have always been this... mature, but there's so much innuendo in it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Andrew Osmond's 100 Animated Feature Films. In spite of the generic title evoking so many ranked lists, this is quite a personable book which aims not for the best of the genre but rather the most interesting from an outsider's point of view - while not quite comprehensive (how could it be?) it cuts across every major and minor country, technique, and era in the realm of feature animation. I've discovered some of my favorite films through it that I likely never would have otherwise, even just seeking those mentioned in asides. This sounds like an ad but I mean it.

Excellent! Thanks for the detailed description. I'll definitely pick this up when I buy the other animation books that were recommended to me. Animation fevah!

Now that I’ve listened to ‘Do You Want to Build a Snowman?’ in full and in better quality I gotta say it really does pull at the heart strings....the last bit vocally and the music that plays after it is super effective.

Also, Rotten Tomatoes just uploaded 5
fresh
reviews from some pretty big critics like TIME Magazine. The meter has gone from 91% to 93% and I’ve just updated the OP. You guys should give them a read.

overcast

Sitting at 88% now, here's the consensus:

"Beautifully animated, smartly written, and stocked with singalong songs, Frozen adds another worthy entry to the Disney canon."

Leeness

Will this get more reviews? It only has 50-something as opposed to Tangled's 180-something.

It seems as though bunch came in though.

Leeness

Yeah no doubt. Remember, it doesn't even release for quite a while in a lot of places. Give it time.

Very very true. I was just wondering if an "embargo" has lifted or something and only a few people were reviewing, which was weird. Haha.

Also, lovely pictures of the soundtrack and Variety! I got my soundtrack on iTunes, though :p

qindarka

Banned
I'm just going to say that a lot of these reviews, both positive and negative, don't strike me as being particularly well-written, Often just a lot of plot recap plus maybe a paragraph or two of shallow critique.

Perhaps it’s because their first dramatic confrontation, on coronation day, is undercut by the presence of one of those hunky guys, with whom Anna has fallen in love (at first sight), and so what should be a moment of true sisterly drama doesn’t even pass the Bechdel test.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...e_new_animated_film_from_disney_reviewed.html

Props for this bit here. Now, not only must individual movies be subjected to the Bechdel test but individual scenes.

Xiaoki

Frozen is alright, wouldnt quite put on the same level as Tangled.

Really, my only complaints are the horribly predictable plot and the annoying comic relief animal friends.

It's strange, I've read multiple reviews that, in praising Frozen, essentially act like Tangled doesn't exist. For me, it's not that Frozen alone is a return to the 90's heyday, it's that Disney Animation has made three quality movies in a row for the first time since the 90's. The Mouse is finally back on steady ground, and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next.

qindarka

Banned
It's strange, I've read multiple reviews that, in praising Frozen, essentially act like Tangled doesn't exist. For me, it's not that Frozen alone is a return to the 90's heyday, it's that Disney Animation has made three quality movies in a row for the first time since the 90's. The Mouse is finally back on steady ground, and I'm looking forward to whatever comes next.

Yes, that is very annoying. Some of the reviews give the impression that this is Disney's first musical since the early Renaissance.

UrbanRats

Big Hero 6 should be more akin to Wreck it Ralph, i assume (no songs etc).
Do we know what they have planned beyond that? I'm wondering if they intend to alternate between a princess musical and a more "regular" movie.

qindarka

Banned
Big Hero 6 should be more akin to Wreck it Ralph, i assume (no songs etc).
Do we know what they have planned beyond that? I'm wondering if they intend to alternate between a princess musical and a more "regular" movie.

Films that are just about set in stone:

Big Hero 6 (2014)
Zootopia (2016)

Films that we know are in development:
Giants (2018?) - adaptation of Jack in the Beanstalk, first said to be for 2016, later indications that it may take until 2018.
Moana (2018) -
Untitled Dean Wellins space film (2018) - said to be in developmental trouble

UrbanRats

Films that are just about set in stone:

Big Hero 6 (2014)
Zootopia (2016)

Films that we know are in development:
Giants (2018?) - adaptation of Jack in the Beanstalk, first said to be for 2016, later indications that it may take until 2018.
Moana (2018) -
Untitled Dean Wellins space film (2018) - said to be in developmental trouble
Thanks.
Read a bit on Zootopia, sounds like a Disney version of Black Sad, i'm in!

So they skip 2015? Maybe they want to give Pixar breathing room, haven't they decided to skip 2014 altogether?

Top Bottom