• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Bgamer90

Banned
So basically, if you're unjustly banned you better make a stink on twitter, GAF, get a mention of it in an Engadget article, and make enough ruckus that you threaten a console launch and then MS might look into getting you unbanned.

That's the thing though --- he didn't make a stink about it. If anything the people who aren't him made more of a stink about it than him himself.

I'm pretty sure that as long as someone in the same situation contacts MS about it with the proper proof that he/she will have things sorted out.

I don't understand why anyone is talking about embargoes here. Is there anything indicating he signed a non-disclosure agreement? Did said NDA indicate that, if he released footage, he wouldn't get sued or fined like every other NDA, but that he forfeits his Live account as punishment?

Because if this information has come to light, then I agree that the sudden introduction of the word embargo is not inappropriate given the circumstances, but I doubt this is the case.

That is the part that might make an interesting court case. Him posting the info on twitter could be legally considered "publishing" it.
I don't get your point. He still wouldn't be under any embargo or NDA.

Also, I didn't see the YouTube video, but I imagine it would be a stretch to claim it violated copyright if it was just an unboxing.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I reached out to him and I'll get this sorted out. His console will not be permabanned that is for sure.

Good to hear Major. You should also get MS to unban him ASAP so that he can continue to post impressions and pics, because this guy was doing the best job of hyping up the Xbox1 yet. He was actually generating very positive press for MS until they had to go and turn it sour like they've done so many times in the past few months.

Salex_

C'mon, most "defending" the ban stated it was likely temporary and there was not enough info to make judgement, and that it would be sorted out.

Didn't stop the pitchforks from being raised. Even had people saying that they will unban him just because they have to save face.

Please step back and acknowledge that there is a very obvious tilt in this forum. And its not all because of consumer rights.

Queue the step back / 720p digs.

So in other words "Stop picking on Microsoft and ignore the shit Sony got on all forums during the early PS3 days"?

SHADES

Pick one of the follow, ConsumerGAF, ValueGAF, GamingGAF, notwillingtobescrewedGAF, but its certainly not SonyGAF or XboxGaf, its just away for X box fans on other boards to appear condescending because their console is having a hard time and seemingly MS give the console alot of reasons for discussion.

Indeed, but like you said, it's easier to use the "sonygaf" than to attempt to get ones head around the sentiment. I was/am a devote 360 user but MS & MS alone have pushed me away and it's the same for many more.

I much prefer "commonsensegaf" than anything else.

AOU3mlm.png

Found the tweet I mentioned, so he can still use his console

You would think they have to, at this point.

Could you imagine the (deserved) outcry if this wasn't addressed?

nah I'm just saying if someone who isn't active on twitter/youtube/forums etc got the console early, didn't have a lot of attention on himself and then got banned and there was no stink about it besides maybe the guy just calling them. would MS be making an effort to fix it or would he just get a "not my problem" response?

Also, I didn't see the YouTube video, but I imagine it would be a stretch to claim it violated copyright if it was just an unboxing.
perhaps the console was banned because it wasn't an "allowed" beta tester and so was automatically flagged? no idea if this has been discussed at all.

Snubbers

And what about MS getting youtube to take down his in boxing video? Surely you don't think Coke should be able to take down your videos for having coke cans in them, right?

Yeah, sure, coke cans are just like a new unreleased console.. :(

However, if there is no copyright claim, then sure MS are tight for asking for it to be removed and youtube equally stupid for honouring the claim..

All I keep hearing are entitled overtones, which to be honest grate on me slightly more then MS' anti-consumer overtones, so I apologise if anyone thinks I am supporting MS whole heartedly..

This is the world we live in, lots of money in media, lots of outlets waiting for embargo's to lift, I do not really think MS are douchebags for trying to protect the intent and meaning of the embargo... And as long as the user has a console on the 22nd that works on XBL, then surely order has been restored and it's all a storm in a teacup.

If our pitchforks weren't out over this would you guys even care? This is a serious question.

If Gears of War 3 sold 3 million in its first week and your reply is that it sold like shit what exactly is the guideline we should be looking at?

nah I'm just saying if someone who isn't active on twitter/youtube/forums etc got the console early, didn't have a lot of attention on himself and then got banned and there was no stink about it besides maybe the guy just calling them. would MS be making an effort to fix it or would he just get a "not my problem" response?

Maybe, maybe not but most likely not this quickly. It's the same thing you see on the news all the time how some company ripped off some customer and they go to the news. The bad PR forces them to react. It's the same thing when fans ask about MP3 support and now they are looking into it.

jond76

Banned
No its not dumb mate, we "CAN" import from America, if its released on the 15th, we could get an express delivery prob by the 20th if we pay for it. So its valid

Theres a difference between it being released in one region and not being released at all. Even MS said (and almost encouraged) importing the system. But right now, these systems aren't released anywhere, so the concern is that there are features still in flux.

Cryolemon

MS could argue that by posting information on twitter he was a publisher, and therefore he was breaching an embargo against publishing info (an NDA is a different matter, since he didn't sign one). Whether a court would rule that I'm not sure, but that would be MS's argument.

That's a different issue (with youtube's copyright policy being biased against the user).

Why not just have Major Nelson give him a call (on the Xbox itself ideally) and offer him a bunch of swag in exchange for him not taking any more pictures or video? Just treat him like a human being and I'm sure he would co-operate. I know I would.

They can still make this right by reaching out to him. Corporate bullshit ruins everything.

Skeff

That's the thing though --- he didn't make a stink about it. If anything the people who aren't him made more of a stink about it than him himself.

I'm pretty sure that as long as someone in the same situation contacts MS about it with the proper proof that he/she will have things sorted out.

MS do nothing to unban a console in the majority of cases, without the attention this case has received a complaint will receive nothing more than a customer service email stating they do not give reasons for bans.

rrs

perhaps the console was banned because it wasn't an "allowed" beta tester and so was automatically flagged? no idea if this has been discussed at all.

This more than likely, and anyone else who got an xbox one early would be more than likely console banned until release with proof of early shipping.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't understand why anyone is talking about embargoes here. Is there anything indicating he signed a non-disclosure agreement? Did said NDA indicate that, if he released footage, he wouldn't get sued or fined like every other NDA, but that he forfeits his Live account as punishment?

Because if this information has come to light, then I agree that the sudden introduction of the word embargo is not inappropriate given the circumstances, but I doubt this is the case.

The online modes for games have to be up for certain reviewers to have their reviews out in time. Therefore, if someone who hasn't been given the a-ok to play a game before releases is playing it, then certain (automated) actions may be taken.

People are bringing it up since the XB1 version of COD Ghosts is under tight wraps in terms of information being stated about it right now. I don't think it's a coincidence that this guy's console got banned shortly after checking it out.

Also. Dude was giving good publicity saying how awesome it was. Creating hype. They sure shut that down quick

this.

I learned so much last night then in the past few months by MS, i loved the leaks and pics, and also exposed dat EA next gen haha, but we all knew that was gonna happen.

Vizzeh

Banned
Indeed, but like you said, it's easier to use the "sonygaf" than to attempt to get ones head around the sentiment. I was/am a devote 360 user but MS & MS alone have pushed me away and it's the same for many more.

I much prefer "commonsensegaf" than anything else.

same as myself, started in 2011 When the value of Xbox 360 and MS stopped for me on the lack of games and variety (Started playing my PS3 more then) , I kept an open mind come the events, I was far more impressed with Sonys system and their targeting of a gamer in mind..

It went then from PS4 #1 and Considered a second console Xb1 #2 (but their very few 1st Party exclusives, money hatting "buying games" without giving back to the industry)

Their PR and disgusting Anti-consumerism and corporate attitude with us just being spreadsheet numbers turned me away to ONLY #PS4... I wont buy an X1 This or next Year, but if MS turn it around, open some 1st party studios, and creating thier own games, sort out their PR... Im on board again as a second system.

MS could argue that by posting information on twitter he was a publisher, and therefore he was breaching an embargo (an NDA is a different matter, since he didn't sign one). Whether a court would rule that I'm not sure, but that would be MS's argument
Their argument would be actual crazy-person nonsense, if that were the case. They might as well say they took down the video because balloon, since that makes just as much sense as what you're proposing on even the most surface level.

Major Nelson

Neo Member
Why not just have Major Nelson give him a call (on the Xbox itself ideally) and offer him a bunch of swag in exchange for him not taking any more pictures or video? Just treat him like a human being and I'm sure he would co-operate. I know I would.

They can still make this right by reaching out to him. Corporate bullshit ruins everything.

I am trying to get in touch with him…but I guess he is still sleeping from his all night Xbox One bender. I hopefully can chat with him today and get this sorted out ASAP.

G_Berry

Banned
so he was simply blocked from Live. Ok that is totally understandable given that the service is still un released. As long as he is unbanned there is nothing to see here.
Lol. That GAF overreaction.

Something bad was bound to happen after the positive UI demo.

I am trying to get in touch with him…but I guess he is still sleeping from his all night Xbox One bender. I hopefully can chat with him today and get this sorted out ASAP.

Good on you man. It's funny how this happens on a Friday night. Now your Saturday is dominate by damage control.

Yeah, sure, coke cans are just like a new unreleased console.. :(

However, if there is no copyright claim, then sure MS are tight for asking for it to be removed and youtube equally stupid for honouring the claim..

All I keep hearing are entitled overtones, which to be honest grate on me slightly more then MS' anti-consumer overtones, so I apologise if anyone thinks I am supporting MS whole heartedly..

This is the world we live in, lots of money in media, lots of outlets waiting for embargo's to lift, I do not really think MS are douchebags for trying to protect the intent and meaning of the embargo... And as long as the user has a console on the 22nd that works on XBL, then surely order has been restored and it's all a storm in a teacup.
Yes for customers they are the same. Customers are not beholden to embargoes and street dates. NDA signing press members and retail stores are beholden to it. It's like trying to force a customer at a restaurant to wash their hands in the bathroom because the sign says only employees are required to do so.

Alx

so he was simply blocked from Live. Ok that is totally understandable given that the service is still un released. As long as he is unbanned there is nothing to see here.

Yeah it's definitely logical, the funny thing about all that drama is that that guy isn't mad at all. He's enjoying his early console and understands why he's been kicked out of live.

Cryolemon

Their argument would be actual crazy-person nonsense, if that were the case. They might as well say they took down the video because balloon, since that makes just as much sense as what you're proposing on even the most surface level.

I agree, but I could certainly see them making that argument.

Vestal

Gold Member
thumbs up Major. Hopefully we can get an official stance on why it happened once you get more details.

Either way thanks for sticking around GAF.

The online modes for games have to be up for certain reviewers to have their reviews out in time. Therefore, if someone who hasn't been given the a-ok to play a game before releases is playing it, then certain (automated) actions may be taken.

People are bringing it up since the XB1 version of COD Ghosts is under tight wraps in terms of information being stated about it right now. I don't think it's a coincidence that this guy's console got banned shortly after checking it out.
Draw the line of logic for me between press embargoes and this. Thus far, all you've done is go "Activision has an embargo, ergo that's why this guy got banned!"

It's the equivalent of saying "A meteor flew over Russia and then Edward Snowden fled there, the two must be connected!"

Epcott

Do you have a job at all? In PR specifically? I'm assuming not from your post and personal attacks on a fellow neogaf member.

I never realized he was nothing more than a pr device. I was under the impression he was an actual gamer/publicist who loved the MS brand, not fully sponsored and endorsed by MS. My mistake.

(I also forgot he's a Gaffer... sorry Larry)

Well, why does anyone expect him to save this guy? Is this like good cop bad cop?

Well holy s***! Believe indeed! Perceptions shattered.

/eatcrow unlocked

hawk2025

Thanks for getting on this :)

For what it's worth, everything we saw looked incredible.

Oh yeah, and like Statham above I'm still waiting for my free KI :p

Was it the original guy in the OP that was selling it on ebay the one that showed the receipt? I can't remember if the dude with the Youtube vid and twitter leaks showed a receipt. Be kind of awkward if he didn't have one after Larry promised to get him sorted.

Although judging by his video and tweets, he seemed like a decent guy that wouldn't have a stolen copy. It was awesome watching how excited he was last night.

jett

D-Member
It can't be said enough what a dumb, shortsighted move this is.

edit: nice to know that at least someone at MS is looking to sort this out.

Top Bottom