• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Shambles

Microsoft, you're doing a great job at showing potential customers that they should stay as far away from you as possible. Holy crap.

His tweets suggest he understands why it's not allowed online yet and he's cognizant that posting vids to YouTube may not be okay.

Why did GAF blow up at this?
Most people on here don't think you should get banned for getting a console early.

Dosia

His tweets suggest he understands why it's not allowed online yet and he's cognizant that posting vids to YouTube may not be okay. He seems chill about it.

Why did GAF blow up at this? Just a matter of jumping to conclusions is all I see.

Bc some ppl on GAF like to overreact about anything.

Uhhh... I don't see what's so "illogical" about what I said. MS more than likely has an automated system up so that people who aren't part of press get blocked after trying to get into online features.
Your contention is that Activision has MS banning the profile of anyone who accesses a third-party game's online portion and only that online portion unless they are on a gamertag list in their database.

Should be easy enough to confirm when journalists come forward and say Activision needed their gamertags and told them not to use any other ones or for anyone to register new ones under punishment of banning.

manhack

Thanks Major, I don't know why some folks think this was even a possibility.

Because historically any banning has been permanent regardless of the situation of the person banned. If this wasn't so high profile a situation there is no way Major Nelson would be involved and this guy would be screwed.

However props to Major Nelson for communicating that the issue will be resolved.

Do you know the implications of the word banned?
Reread my post.

If anything he should have just not been able to connect with a notice given about the official launch date.

So you're just annoyed by the wording of the message? Because either way the end result would be the same.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Damn. I can't stand apologists. That's it for me in this thread.

Hope it works out well for the guy and anyone else who gets a console early. They should enjoy their system.

Kusagari

His tweets suggest he understands why it's not allowed online yet and he's cognizant that posting vids to YouTube may not be okay. He seems chill about it.

Why did GAF blow up at this? Just a matter of jumping to conclusions is all I see.

Just because the guy happens to be a sap who lets a company walk all over him doesn't mean we're the same.

ironcreed

Banned
His tweets suggest he understands why it's not allowed online yet and he's cognizant that posting vids to YouTube may not be okay.

10650407696_e467bea6ca_o.gif

If I were that guy, I would have sold the Xbox or videos of using the Xbox to Kotaku. I doubt they get much from Microsoft officially and would pay a good sum of money to be able to run lots of exclusive stories about using the Xbox One early.
I imagine Kotaku has the same uneasy interdependence with MS as any other site. They don't want to be on MS's shit list.

Lokbob

Or it shows that MS probably has too much faith in retailers to stick to the release date of their console.

I'm pretty sure that the current, seemingly automated feature in place that caused this will be gone once the system is released on the 22nd.

Well i hope they disable the automated system before the 22nd.
Lots of people will get the console 2 or 3 days before release.

Most people on here don't think you should get banned for getting a console early.

Now that we understand that the console wasn't banned, Major is going to resolve this and he most likely can't use the live service until the systems release date, is this ok? jus curious

It seems as though if a message would have came up on the console that said " temporary ban" or something this wouldn't have been such a big issue.

I thought we'd already established that it wasn't him using it that got him banned. Someone else has got it early and supposedly MS has said that it's fine.

We don't know the official reason yet. They don't seem to want to clear that up either.
Now that we understand that the console wasn't banned, Major is going to resolve this and he most likely can't use the live service until the systems release date, is this ok? jus curious

It seems as though if a message would have came up on the console that said " temporary ban" or something this wouldn't have been such a big issue.
Yeah a message saying you can't use the service until the 22nd would have been much clearer, could be a situation where this story blowing up made them change their minds.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn. I can't stand apologists. That's it for me in this thread.

Hope it works out well for the guy and anyone else who gets a console early. They should enjoy their system.

LOL, I'm not trying to be an apologist. I simply understand why they would not want anyone online two weeks before the launch of the system. His console is not going to be banned, so there is nothing to freak out over. That is all I'm saying.

Vizzeh

Banned
That would be far too sensible...

If they are streaming something that they don't own the rights to then legally they can't make any money off of it at all.

I cant see this stopping him putting videos up and showing screenshots etc, reviews too since he has a PVR, he can just upload to youtube or elsewhere

Dunan

If they are streaming something that they don't own the rights to then legally they can't make any money off of it at all.

This logic would imply that newspapers, in which reporters report on anything and everything that they "don't own the rights to", are also illegal. Same with news shows on TV, and book reviews.

It's ridiculous how much control people let these big corporations have over things these days.

Godslay

Banned
Indeed, we live in a world where paying for something and expecting to use it when we receive it has a negative "entitlement" connotation instead of being "expected".

It's no wonder the console video game industry is slowly eroding the rights consumers once had. Its consumers welcome such erosion.

XBL for the Xbone isn't available to the general public. Keep fighting that fight though. You may have paid for XBL in general, but if MS has their network sectioned off until the 22nd for Xbone, you have no right to use it. I'm sure they'll ban you because you are in a place you are not supposed to be yet.

It's not an issue of consumer rights, the service isn't available to consumers yet on that platform. It's their network, if they don't want you on it until the 22nd, then they have every right to restrict access. If you feel that you should be able to log on to the Xbone portion of XBL before the release date, it's entitlement. XBL for Xbone is available Nov 22nd, until then you might as well regard it as a private network not meant for general access to the public.

As much as I enjoyed reading and seeing about the UI etc, I can fully understand why they banned him.

rjinaz

Did you miss the tweet where he said he was considering suing Microsoft? He was hardly completely chill.

Edit: To be fair though, he did calm down a lot before he went to bed and didn't seem as upset.

Second Edit: He was referring to the removal of his video though, not the ban I believe.

Tripolygon

Banned
Bc some ppl on GAF like to overreact about anything.
Overreaction is the only way to get things done in this industry as a consumer, heck even in politics. As long as there is profit to be made there has to be an outcry of many to get something as simple and little as unbanning 1 account. circa DRM Xbox One

Cryolemon

I think I'm misunderstanding you. Do you count youtube channels as streaming?

Depends what's on them I guess. Nintendo have taken issue with LPers over them getting ad revenue from any videos of Nintendo games.

Other stuff I don't know about, but solely showing an unboxing (even livestreaming it) clearly isn't copyright infringement. Youtube's policies are biased in favour of the claimant though.

teiresias

Wikipedia said:
Stockholm syndrome, or capture–bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them.

Just because he doesn't see anything wrong with what happened, it doesn't follow that there objectively isn't actually something wrong with what happened.

tbm24

This logic would imply that newspapers, in which reporters report on anything and everything that they "don't own the rights to", are also illegal. Same with news shows on TV, and book reviews.

It's ridiculous how much control people let these big corporations have over things these days.

Those two situations really aren't similar.

Yeah a message saying you can't use the service until the 22nd would have been much clearer, could be a situation where this story blowing up made them change their minds.

Very true, I doubt they anticipated a retailer making a mistake like that, but one would think that a company like Microsoft would have something in place for a situation like this.

Pain

Banned
So why don't we have a real OS walk through and impressions yet? There's two of these out in the wild. Give us the goods.

Cryolemon

Reviews are specifically fair use.

SHADES

I don't get this. Is that really the best argument against "It's difficult to have a constructive discussion about Xbox One because of the toxicity and because the (warrented) dislike for Xbox One has (to some extent) developed a momentum of its own"?

I don't like Xbox One, I don't think there is any inherent dislike for Microsoft or inherent love for Sony at GAF, but I can't help but feel that the atmosphere here these days (at Gaming) is rather poisonous in general and regarding Xbox One in particular. It seems - although I must add I've avoided many of these threads, so it could be a false impression - that often news is blown out of proportion, positive news is immediately attacked and even the media in general is accused of "having been bought" by Microsoft (or is just downright stupid).

It's gotten a bit too aggressive around here lately. Can't we all calm down just a bit?

Exactly, we can't be gamers who dislike a certain companies policy & openly discuss them without being one sided, which ever side that maybe.

It's currently "sonygaf" to all diehard loyalists who have to warrant that the console they intend on purchasing may not be to everyone's liking, just as it was xboxgaf back around the time of the PS3 launch.

I currently own a 360,PS3 & a Wii. The 360 is my " go to" console, I love it, but next gen for me so far will I'll be starting out with a PS4, not for my devote love of everything Sony lol, just because that's the system which appeals to me the most & didn't try to screw me.

Personally I feel for the most part GAF is filled with fellow such minded gamers & the only ones throwing the Sonygaf, xboxgaf terms around are the devote fanboys who fail to appreciate common sense.

TL;DR we should have NO a legion to any one vendor & shit on them the moment they try to ruin our beloved hobby.

PG2G

There might not be a mechanism in place for sending such a message or blocking the online services.

Cryolemon

There might not be a mechanism in place for sending such a message or blocking the online services.

I think the point is that you shouldn't be able to connect to Live at all until the 22nd and if ou try you simply get a message saying "this service is not currently available, please try again later".

So no streamer ever has or will be deserves any of the money they have made?

Streaming, especially on youtube, does not give anyone rights above the property owner, they can pull the rug out of anyone when ever they choose by simply filing a complaint.. especially if the streamer is making money off it..but its a mutually beneficial situation most of the time, so the big companies don't stress it since its free advertizing.

teiresias

Keep reaching.

I think you'll be the one with the sore arm. All I've said is that just because someone sees something as right doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

Plenty of people think the NSA's activities are perfectly fine, yet we have a completely honest debate on whether their actions actually have been justified or not.

biRdy

This guy is awesome for providing so much information on the console, he answered so many questions. Also to the people over-reacting about the ban, he can still use the console just not access Live, obviously everything is finished so Microsoft, like any other business wouldn't want people the public to see an unfinished product.

Top Bottom