• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going back to school at 31, any advice?

idlewild_

I'm currently signed up for 13 credit hours. Thinking about uping it to 16 or maybe even 19 (19 is the max). Is that too much?
I appreciate your response very much. Thank you.

That sounds like a heavy load if you haven't been to school recently. There are some study habits and skills you are going to have to relearn and it will take a few weeks. Don't want to fall behind in your first semester back.

That's pretty normal. I felt like a toddler in my community college classes. Filled with 30+ year old students. Once you leave the first year classes and intro classes the kids start being filtered out.

ApharmdX

Banned
I'm taking community college classes to get an associates in computer science. They start next week. My plan is to transfer that to a university to get a bachelor's in computer science.

Last time I've been to college, I was 18-20, never finished because I liked to party way too much.

Classes are online BTW. I think it will be easier for me to me that way.

Anyone have a similar experience and have advice?

Thanks.

I went back at 30 to community college and then finished my BS at 32 in a related field (information systems). You will be fine but beware the math requirements. I skipped computer science because of the math requirements, I went away to a state university when I was 18 and done 3 years of my CS degree, so I'd have had to jump back in with upper-level math to do computer science.

Have you considered doing some hybrid or in-person classes, if that's an option? I did my entire associate's degree in person except for one class, and my bachelor's was 50/50 between traditional and online classes. The online classes are harder. You have to be more self-motivated to study and I think professors are more lenient in face-to-face interactions. It's also easier to get coursework help in-person.

One poster's advice about getting into the workforce ASAP in your field is great. I was required to do an internship my final semester at CC, which I leveraged into a job, so I got my work experience before I even finished my BS. The work experience part is the hardest thing to get, so start that as early as you can. Even if it's low-level and pay.

Watch your course schedule like a hawk. I've had online classes that were "subject to change" and ran face-first into tests that were shifted up a week without any notification other than a change to the calendar.

Seriously, check the course calendar every day.

This is good advice.

JettDash

I went back at 30 to community college and then finished my BS at 32 in a related field (information systems). You will be fine but beware the math requirements. I skipped computer science because of the math requirements, I went away to a state university when I was 18 and done 3 years of my CS degree, so I'd have had to jump back in with upper-level math to do computer science.

Have you considered doing some hybrid or in-person classes, if that's an option? I did my entire associate's degree in person except for one class, and my bachelor's was 50/50 between traditional and online classes. The online classes are harder. You have to be more self-motivated to study and I think professors are more lenient in face-to-face interactions. It's also easier to get coursework help in-person.

One poster's advice about getting into the workforce ASAP in your field is great. I was required to do an internship my final semester at CC, which I leveraged into a job, so I got my work experience before I even finished my BS. The work experience part is the hardest thing to get, so start that as early as you can. Even if it's low-level and pay.

This is good advice.

I think I would have a harder time motivating myself to actually drive across town to class (part of why I flunked out years ago). Plus, there is a schedule to work around.

I can teach myself if I need to.

Acyl

Went to CC 2 years, transferred and graduated in 2 years after that. I was just 1-2 years older than my peers so not exactly your shoes.

I know if I had to go back with the attitude I have now I would fail.

So my advice: Be humble. Don't think you know better than your professors. Maybe you do, but school is not about knowledge exactly. Three pillars of learning a prof of mine told his class: Knowledge/facts (memorization), applications (problem solving), and synthesis (create/understand new ideas). His exams were basically on subjects advanced beyond the coursework, so you had to sit there and think about how to apply what you knew to figure out a new problem. Alas, exam averages were 30-50% (grade was on a curve), but if you happened to do well, wow you would be proud.

The only way to succeed was to study hard as fuck. Take every class seriously. Strive to read the book/your notes for each course you have 1-2 hours a night. When I went to college I didn't have a TV or video games. I was super dedicated, and it paid off.

If I had to go back now, I'd probably be too arrogant to take professors seriously, and I wouldn't care about the arbitrary grades. So good luck, don't be like that - just remember you are there for the degree to improve your life. To get the degree, you need the grades. Who knows, maybe you'll like it and it'll be fun for you to master Calculus and be more knowledgeable than 99% of the planet.

You won't feel out of place. There are all sorts of age ranges in community colleges. I've met people well into their 50s who were changing careers when I was taking classes.

I went through grad school in my 30's. It didn't feel that different from undergrad except I was working full time and had money.

Looking at returning to school for a CS program as well next year. Am trying my luck with the workforce right now because I have learnt quite a bit of programming on my own now and have made a couple of personal projects that I'm really proud of, and I don't want to spend loads of money in tuition unless I have to, but having that relevant qualification would make it so much easier. Any good resources to go brush up on my math skills?

I went back to school for a master's while working full-time when I was in my late 20's. It was a pretty brutal 2 years, but incredibly satisfying. The program I was in had a lot of classmates in similar situation as me, so we connected really well. The projects pushed the hell out of us and we put in crazy hours, but it was always fulfilling work at the end of the day, especially when working in a good group. Plus, got to bang some college chicks again. That was interesting.

A++ experience. Really glad I made that decision.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
4b2.gif
Took too long lol.

IC5

Work closely with counseling/guidance and figure out the minimum course load you can take, to transfer into a proper uni. And then do those courses first. This might mean less online classes. In my opinion, online classes suck. So, this is a good thing.

And get a second opinion on that course schedule, to make sure it is in fact, correct. Some guidance people suck at their jobs or just try to drain you for the school's benefit. So maybe work in reverse and see guidance at a uni and find out what hey would want from a Student at your community college.

Even if you can't afford to drop right into uni, having that prepped and ready, is a big benefit.

Research grants. Sometimes people will give you money for writing them a letter.

Gamespawn

This was me in 2011. My advice is if you're planning on a bachelors at another school, make sure the classes count from cc. Talk to a counselor early to make a plan of what you need to take so when you transfer those undergrad classes will be finished and you'll get out faster.

Don't be afraid of other students. Most will think you're a graduate student or not even care you're in your 30s. Do your work early and set time aside to study or go over practice questions. And DON'T be afraid to ask questions if you're confused about something.

I did this as well. Went back to school at 28 for computer science. Im 31 now and only have 3 semesters left. Started at community college and tranfered to the university I previously graduated from. So in my case I already have almost all non major related classes done. Ive also never been the oldest person in class.

ApharmdX

Banned
I think I would have a harder time motivating myself to actually drive across town to class (part of why I flunked out years ago). Plus, there is a schedule to work around.

I can teach myself if I need to.

Just be careful. I went through my classes smoothly until I got an online upper-level assembly language course that kicked my ass for weeks because I had limited access to the professor or classmates to further my grasp of the material. In a traditional course the students would have gotten together outside of class to figure it out or spoken to a TA or professor. Plus for me the whole experience felt more like "being back at college" since I was going to classes every week with others, even though it was an hour drive each way.

If you aren't motivated I think online classes are even more of a drag, not less.

subrock

I went back at 29 and loved it. It's amazing how easy everything is when you actually want to be there and don't fuck around playing on your laptop in the back of class. Out of a class of 80, at the end of a 2 year program only 14 remained and everyone was over 25.

My advice is "enjoy being mature and succeeding".

I am 33 and now starting my last 2 years at a University, I am a community college transfer. I started working after high school and did a little community college (mostly electives) and then in my mid twenties I enlisted in the Marine Corps. When I finally got out, I decided that I needed to go back to school and take it seriously this time... and also because it was being paid for, but boy was I in for a rude awakening! had to actually do a ton of remedial classes because I was so far removed from high school that I need a ton of help just to be able to pass college level classes, but I stuck with it and had a few set backs but I was finally able to transfer to a University.

What I am getting at is, it is never too late for you to start and you will be surprised how often than not you will find yourself in classes with other adults who are clearly much older than you. Most students in CC's don't really care about your age as they are to busy trying to finish up and transfer anyways, at the end of the day if you are willing to work for it you can also get a degree at any age (plus I noticed you are taking online courses? I find these types of courses easier than actual classes on campus you just need to make sure to keep up with the courses deadlines) Good Luck!

Miletius

I went back to CC to get some science prerequisites for a program that I was interested in that was outside of my original field of study. Most people have covered all bases here, so I'll just put in some advice that I think might help you transfer down the line -- that is, always be thinking about your transfer if that if your next step. That includes grades and how you are going to frame yourself as an applicant.

maxcriden

Best of luck man. In case you didn't get any answers about the online tests and cheating, some schools nowadays make you take online tests in a lockdown browser that prevents access to other programs, and (IIRC) sign something saying you won't cheat.

Laekon

I have been going back to school for the last 2.5 years and am about to finish my 2nd bachelors at 40. No one cares about your age. Well, humble brag here, there are been a few girls that found my age a very positive trait.

As for advice, create a study schedule and stick to it even when you don't have anything that is due. Just review at those times. Create a system and space while being smart. You aren't going to hit the books effectively for 3 hours straight so don't try to.

poodaddy

My advice is to get an associate's that you know will transfer well to your bachelor's program. I got my A.S. in exercise science at 28 and now I'm pursuing a B.S. in Business administration with a focus on HR, (as I was HR in the Army it just kind of seems to make sense), and due to my change of disciplines I lost quite a few credits earned when transferring to the new school. I lost somewhere around 30 credit hours which essentially means a year of training was lost. That's a shitty feeling to have lost an entire year of training.

JettDash

My advice is to get an associate's that you know will transfer well to your bachelor's program. I got my A.S. in exercise science at 28 and now I'm pursuing a B.S. in Business administration with a focus on HR, (as I was HR in the Army it just kind of seems to make sense), and due to my change of disciplines I lost quite a few credits earned when transferring to the new school. I lost somewhere around 30 credit hours which essentially means a year of training was lost. That's a shitty feeling to have lost an entire year of training.

Thanks.

The degree I am pursuing is designed to be transferred to the local four year college.

Simmins

Here is what I can say, I attended Online classes for 1 year at Arizona State University. I went for Computer Science similar to you. The quality of the classes was great but I could not keep up since ASU holds it's online classes in 7 week intervals and trying to learn Advanced Programming topics in 7 weeks with very little support was not easy.

How you succeed online will depend on your style of learning and how well the school sets up it's support system. I found it to be at it's hardest when you are stuck with no one who can answer your question in a timely manner, and since it's online I have found a lot of fellow classmates did not bother to reply to any requests for study groups either.

In the end I found that I can not perform well as an online student and transferred to a regular school to attend in person. I hope it works out for you though. One piece of advice is to turn everything in even if you don't end up finishing it. One of the biggest problems teachers will complain about is students get distracted with life and end up not turning in enough work. Also try to get creative with your programming assignments, think of ways that the program can be improved or what you may be able to add to it in a separate file.

If your schedule allows it research local programming meet-ups in your area, this way you can collaborate with mentors that can help you with any coding problem. Also if you are at all able to go to the school it may be worth a trip to meet your professors in person. I met one of my CS professors and got to know him well enough to get a letter of recommendation from him. Best of Luck though and have fun!

JettDash

Here is what I can say, I attended Online classes for 1 year at Arizona State University. I went for Computer Science similar to you. The quality of the classes was great but I could not keep up since ASU holds it's online classes in 7 week intervals and trying to learn Advanced Programming topics in 7 weeks with very little support was not easy.

How you succeed online will depend on your style of learning and how well the school sets up it's support system. I found it to be at it's hardest when you are stuck with no one who can answer your question in a timely manner, and since it's online I have found a lot of fellow classmates did not bother to reply to any requests for study groups either.

In the end I found that I can not perform well as an online student and transferred to a regular school to attend in person. I hope it works out for you though. One piece of advice is to turn everything in even if you don't end up finishing it. One of the biggest problems teachers will complain about is students get distracted with life and end up not turning in enough work. Also try to get creative with your programming assignments, think of ways that the program can be improved or what you may be able to add to it in a separate file.

If your schedule allows it research local programming meet-ups in your area, this way you can collaborate with mentors that can help you with any coding problem. Also if you are at all able to go to the school it may be worth a trip to meet your professors in person. I met one of my CS professors and got to know him well enough to get a letter of recommendation from him. Best of Luck though and have fun!

Thanks bro.

ASU is actually the school that I failed out of because I partied too much, LOL. Wasn't online though, don't think they had online classes back then.

Almighty

I was in the same boat not too long ago when I started college a few weeks before I turned thirty. Since you are doing Computer Science my advice is study your ass off and doubly so when it comes to math. Math is the great killer of dreams for those who want a CS degree from what I have seen.

JettDash

I was in the same boat not too long ago when I started college a few weeks before I turned thirty. Since you are doing Computer Science my advice is study your ass off and doubly so when it comes to math. Math is the great killer of dreams for those who want a CS degree from what I have seen.

I'm actually glad that they are making me take College Math instead of letting me take Calculus. I have forgot so much math.

Rad-

I went back at a similar age and school felt way easier. I guess it's because you are more confident and don't stress as easily anymore? Though I had also forgotten some really basic stuff (like math).

Almighty

I'm actually glad that they are making me take College Math instead of letting me take Calculus. I have forgot so much math.

Yeah my math was terrible when I started college. I am about halfway though my CS degree right now and I had to start from the very bottom in math. I just barely passed Calculus I this week by the skin of my teeth, so yeah study your butt off. I got complacent as I aced all the previous math courses and then Calculus handed me my butt. I needed a little humbling in math I suppose and it is hopefully something that won't repeat in Calculus II and beyond.

Kalnoky

Seems like your head's in the right place these days, OP. Like one of the earlier posters I think mentioned, just treat it with the seriousness you'd treat a job, and you'll make it through.

I had similar discipline issues coming out of high school (didn't take it seriously, ditched and got into trouble all the time, almost flunked out, went to independent study, half-assed it and coasted hard, graduated, but literally never learned or ever tried anything) that ended up kind of scaring me out of going to college. In fact, one of the big reasons I never really considered it even years after high school was I just assumed I was an idiot, haha. Fast forward to a year or so back, and my wife starts going back to school, and I help her go over some of her homework and kind of realize, oh shit, this all seems suuuuuper manageable. Now, at the same age as you, I'm planning on starting down that very same degree path that you're starting down.

So I guess the dumb point I'm taking a long time to make is: I think effort is the biggest ingredient, and it seems like you're ready to give it that now. You'll crush it, OP.

poodaddy

Seems like your head's in the right place these days, OP. Like one of the earlier posters I think mentioned, just treat it with the seriousness you'd treat a job, and you'll make it through.

I had similar discipline issues coming out of high school (didn't take it seriously, ditched and got into trouble all the time, almost flunked out, went to independent study, half-assed it and coasted hard, graduated, but literally never learned or ever tried anything) that ended up kind of scaring me out of going to college. In fact, one of the big reasons I never really considered it even years after high school was I just assumed I was an idiot, haha. Fast forward to a year or so back, and my wife starts going back to school, and I help her go over some of her homework and kind of realize, oh shit, this all seems suuuuuper manageable. Now, at the same age as you, I'm planning on starting down that very same degree path that you're starting down.

So I guess the dumb point I'm taking a long time to make is: I think effort is the biggest ingredient, and it seems like you're ready to give it that now. You'll crush it, OP.
This is all so true, particularly the bolded. First attempt I made at college was when I was 18 and I dropped out after one quarter with a 0.2 GPA, which is honestly impressively stupid. Ten years later I got my AS with a 3.8, and while I know it's not a bachelor's, (working on that now), it just goes to show how big a component effort is when it comes to college, in comparison to High School at least. High school you can sleep through and pass, college actually requires that you pull up your pants and act like an adult; it's all about the mind set.

III-V

13 credit hours is more than enough. Classes will likely not be overwhelming, but you are not ready for that anyway. Get a good footing, let this semester be a softball and knock it out of the park. That will give you a good feeling on next semester.

JettDash

An update.

My classes are easy as fuck thus far, though it has been less than a week .

The math class in particular seems kinda like a joke. I learned this stuff when I was like a freshman in high school and thus far it isn't stuff I've really forgotten. Already done the assignments for like a month.

Jzero

I sucked so much at High School and the 2 years that followed that I thought I was retarded or had a super low IQ and tried to accept I would never achieve more. Then a shrink tells me that I have ADHD, puts me on therapy and drugs and suddenly it's like everything is easy and I have to make up for all those lost years and the inferiority complex

I've felt like this my whole life. I need to get whatevert medication you're taking

jelly

An update.

My classes are easy as fuck thus far, though it has been less than a week .

The math class in particular seems kinda like a joke. I learned this stuff when I was like a freshman in high school and thus far it isn't stuff I've really forgotten. Already done the assignments for like a month.

They always are then they rocket to hard.

mcfizzle4

I'm in the same boat but I'm 34 and studying in German, a foreign language, starting in a week. It's going to be tough but I plan to just read and study as often as I can.

Top Bottom