• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going back to school at 31, any advice?

Mesousa

Banned
I had to take a math placement exam. I didn't even realize how much I had forgot. Anyway, I didn't score low enough that I will have to take some remedial class or whatever, but I will have to take College Math (142) which doesn't count to the degree except for as an elective.

If it doesnt count towards your major then it is either College Algebra or Precalculus/Trigonometry?

JettDash

If it doesnt count towards your major then it is either College Algebra or Precalculus/Trigonometry?

The class I'm taking is College Math 142. I don't think it really counts to the major but that's the highest one I can take. I'm going to go speak to an adviser later today.

Sapiens

Make sure you turn that into a proper university degree. No one will hire you with a community college diploma. It won't be good enough. The earlier you transfer the better.

Challenge yourself, make a habit and ritual out of doing the homework and find as much supplemental material as you can.

CS is pretty generalized across universities, so you can find a lot of content.

Shai Simonson's lectures on computing theory might save your life.

The name of the class is College Math.

College Math (sometimes called College Algebra) is extremely iterative. Each week builds very heavily on the week prior so do not miss a class. You will be devastated by how far behind you feel and how much your comprehension suffers if you skip just one quiz or don't bother with one assignment. Math classes, if you don't already have a very strong grip on the subject, is very difficult to take online because you are mostly teaching yourself the curriculum by following instructions.

The first time I took College Algebra, I got an F. Then I retook the same class the next semester with the same teacher and got a D. Then I found out that the university I was transferring to didn't even take the credit for College Algebra, so I switched to a class called Finite Math instead and got an B. I still never learned the things I never learned and it was very lucky for me that there was a second option.

College Math is demanding because it is very self-guided and you aren't doing it every day like you did in high school. But if you're careful not to fall behind and dedicate the necessary time every week to complete the assignments properly, you will be okay. I would take tests and get a bad grade and know I didn't understand the material, but then we'd be in the next week doing completely different things and I would just let it go. The result would be entire lessons I was coasting through with Cs and Ds until I had no idea what was happening in the class.

It was one of the greatest measurable failures in my life. But I never asked for help and I prioritized my job instead of my homework and I don't know what I would have done if there wasn't another class for me to jump ship to.

JettDash

I'm currently signed up for 13 credit hours. Thinking about uping it to 16 or maybe even 19 (19 is the max). Is that too much?

College Math (sometimes called College Algebra) is extremely iterative. Each week builds very heavily on the week prior so do not miss a class. You will be devastated by how far behind you feel and how much your comprehension suffers if you skip just one quiz or don't bother with one assignment. Math classes, if you don't already have a very strong grip on the subject, is very difficult to take online because you are mostly teaching yourself the curriculum by following instructions.

The first time I took College Algebra, I got an F. Then I retook the same class the next semester with the same teacher and got a D. Then I found out that the university I was transferring to didn't even take the credit for College Algebra, so I switched to a class called Finite Math instead and got an B. I still never learned the things I never learned and it was very lucky for me that there was a second option.

College Math is demanding because it is very self-guided and you aren't doing it every day like you did in high school. But if you're careful not to fall behind and dedicate the necessary time every week to complete the assignments properly, you will be okay. I would take tests and get a bad grade and know I didn't understand the material, but then we'd be in the next week doing completely different things and I would just let it go. The result would be entire lessons I was coasting through with Cs and Ds until I had no idea what was happening in the class.

It was one of the greatest measurable failures in my life. But I never asked for help and I prioritized my job instead of my homework and I don't know what I would have done if there wasn't another class for me to jump ship to.

I appreciate your response very much. Thank you.

gaiages

Banned
Advice for online classes (I'm 29 and I have to take all online courses for scheduling reasons):

- Stay on top of your homework and studies. This is MAJORLY important. It's really easy to get distracted or try to get do the bare minimum as 'participation' credit is done differently (if at all) in online courses... but don't do that.
- Set aside some time and make it ONLY about your classes. Some people are better with an hour a day or every other day... I personally did better with a chunk on a weekend day, but I don't recommend that if you have familial obligations or something, as you probably would be able to hole yourself up for 5 hours uninterrupted lol.
- Don't be afraid to e-mail your teacher for help. Don't be afraid to use the forums either if you want to bounce ideas off students, but also don't expect many of the students to reply.
- Any good online teacher will have additional lectures and times where they livestream or make a messenger/Skype/whatever group for Q&A sessions. If you can, you should join in and see if they help you. For me they always popped up at inconvenient times, though.
- If you find your online teacher is not responsive, or the material they provide doesn't facilitate an online learning environment well (some people will just throw up powerpoints from their in-class lectures without the actual lecture and think that's enough), it's better to drop the class than try to suffer through it.
- Remember that the vast majority of the eBooks/online access codes you can get have two week trials before you have to buy them. I highly recommend using them, as if you don't like a class and have to drop it, you won't waste money on the eBooks since the code for them only works for a semester (lol).

Related to second to last point: My worst college class experience was an Economics course where the teacher literally just said "read the book, do the homework", but the homework questions would be about things... not in the book. Emailing the teacher would only get snappy responses back of "well you obviously didn't read the chapter, do it again!" and we were left on our own, it was a mess. I am a Finance/Accounting major so I was able to muddle through most of the material and was able to make a little money making study guides for people (;p) but it was just shitty for everyone. The teacher ended up getting reported to the dean and our grades got curved because I believe most of the students failed.

So make sure if you think a teacher sucks at online teaching don't stay in that class, and maybe even contact the school about it because it's super shitty.

any suggestions to where to do online courses
more to further my career than anything

I'd stick to your local accredited college or university if possible, so if any issues arise, any paperwork is needed, etc, you'll be able to handle it in person instead of over the phone+mail (or e-mail if you're lucky).

Mesousa

Banned
I'm currently signed up for 13 credit hours. Thinking about uping it to 16 or maybe even 19 (19 is the max). Is that too much?

Do you have a wife or kids?

16 hours+work+family might be too much.

JettDash

Advice for online classes (I'm 29 and I have to take all online courses for scheduling reasons):

- Stay on top of your homework and studies. This is MAJORLY important. It's really easy to get distracted or try to get do the bare minimum as 'participation' credit is done differently (if at all) in online courses... but don't do that.
- Set aside some time and make it ONLY about your classes. Some people are better with an hour a day or every other day... I personally did better with a chunk on a weekend day, but I don't recommend that if you have familial obligations or something, as you probably would be able to hole yourself up for 5 hours uninterrupted lol.
- Don't be afraid to e-mail your teacher for help. Don't be afraid to use the forums either if you want to bounce ideas off students, but also don't expect many of the students to reply.
- Any good online teacher will have additional lectures and times where they livestream or make a messenger/Skype/whatever group for Q&A sessions. If you can, you should join in and see if they help you. For me they always popped up at inconvenient times, though.
- If you find your online teacher is not responsive, or the material they provide doesn't facilitate an online learning environment well (some people will just throw up powerpoints from their in-class lectures without the actual lecture and think that's enough), it's better to drop the class than try to suffer through it.
- Remember that the vast majority of the eBooks/online access codes you can get have two week trials before you have to buy them. I highly recommend using them, as if you don't like a class and have to drop it, you won't waste money on the eBooks since the code for them only works for a semester (lol).

Related to second to last point: My worst college class experience was an Economics course where the teacher literally just said "read the book, do the homework", but the homework questions would be about things... not in the book. Emailing the teacher would only get snappy responses back of "well you obviously didn't read the chapter, do it again!" and we were left on our own, it was a mess. I am a Finance/Accounting major so I was able to muddle through most of the material and was able to make a little money making study guides for people (;p) but it was just shitty for everyone. The teacher ended up getting reported to the dean and our grades got curved because I believe most of the students failed.

So make sure if you think a teacher sucks at online teaching don't stay in that class, and maybe even contact the school about it because it's super shitty.

I really appreciate you writing this all out. Thanks.

Do you have a wife or kids?

16 hours+work+family might be too much.

No wife or kids.

shira

blog_teamwork.png

Prof: So you want to mark 100 papers or 5 papers

TA: 5 papers

TAD

Yeah, I'm thinking of learning web designs/programming. Probably too late with how old I am right now tho, haha.
How is it too old? If you retire when you're in your 60's that means you're only a third of the way through your working life. You've just got to have perspective like that when you think about changing jobs or education otherwise you can end up where you are for the rest of your life.

Don't feel bad about having to take a math that doesn't count as credit. I had to take some Algebra class that didn't count after testing (10 years out of school is a long time). I ended up making straight As in every math class I took in college afterwards (I had to take stuff like analytical geometry and differential calculus). That said 10+ years later I now don't remember any of that stuff lol.

Also the one guy is right about keeping up. Everything in math builds on concepts you just learned. Don't let a teacher move forward until you understand it frontwards and backwards.

See my post. 19 is too much, especially when you get into Jr and Sr classes.

I worked 50 hours a week all through my college degree. It took me six years to get a four year degree. I graduated with a 3.8 and benefited greatly from my education, but I had a very hard time starting out.

I went to a community college right out of high school in 2009. By December 2010, I was academically dismissed for failing classes. I didn't know what to do. I didn't tell anybody. I would drive to the college and sit in the parking lot so nobody would know I wasn't going to school. I came up with stories and lies about my classes so I would have something to say when people asked. During my out-semester, I wrote a letter of appeal and it was the first truly honest thing I ever wrote. They let me come back with probate status. I didn't deserve that, but I made sure I earned it afterward.

It took me a lot of trial and error to figure out the work/school balance. I ended up finding I could only take three classes at a time, most of which I'd take online, and I did well once I figured that out. Education is very hard to pursue in your spare time or simply in the background of your ordinary life, it takes attention and care and it can be tiring.

So be conscious of your workload and be honest with yourself if you're taking too many classes at once.

darklin0

Banned
Do your homework.

Do the reading.

Use the internet to your advantage. Tons of free online lectures out there, don't squander it.

Try to find an international version of a textbook, usually a lot cheaper and most of the time they are identical to the U.S. version.

Never be afraid to ask questions. So email away.

Do your homework and readings. So important I listed it twice.

Camwi

I was in a similar situation. Flunked out of tech school right out of high school because either couldn't pay attention or didn't give a shit. Eventually went back to school at 27 or 28 because I wanted to make a better life for my girlfriend and I.

Don't have any tips for online classes. I mainly did the in-person ones and forced myself to sit in the front of every class so I had as few distractions as possible, and just did my best to pay attention.

Was working two part time jobs at the time, too, and barely making ends meet, but it was all worth it in the end.

Don't have any tips for online classes. I mainly did the in-person ones and forced myself to sit in the front of every class so I had as few distractions as possible, and just did my best to pay attention.

I forgot about that trick. Always sit in front of the class. A+ tip.

NandoGip

If youve held down a real job and done well at it, youll do just fine. Also get ready for INSANELY INCOMPETENT TEACHERS AND STAFF. Your jaw is going to drop.

Good luck :)

As you grow older your tolerance for BS lowers. You will be annoyed and frustrated a lot. Group work especially online will make you want to cry or die. You will spend more time fixing others' work and listening to excuses of how they had something come up. I am 35 and less than 2 weeks away from finishing an online MBA. drinking may help. Good luck.

Westonian

I finally graduated with a BBA MIS last December at age 39. I'd say about half of my classes were online, and they were not easier. If anything, the workload was higher to force students to study the content. I really liked the online classes that were video conferences of in-person classes because I got the best of both worlds, flexibility and real lectures.

I found it much easier to apply myself than when I was 20. I'm sure that comes with maturity, but I was able to attend school full time while also working 40-50 hours a week and still graduated Magna Cum Laude. It made me realize how ridiculously easy school can be if you are just a student without a family and job as well.

I actually start my masters on Monday, and the relief of it only being two classes a semester is really assuring.

You can do it!

linkboy

I start on Monday and I'm 35.

Going to start a 2yr computer science program after being in the Air Force for 11 years.

It's exciting, but scary at the same time.

GodofWine

Since its online, that really takes the 'being the old person' weirdness out of the social aspect, though 31 isn't that old (I'd kill to be 31 again), so just work hard, and it probably wont be too bad.

I'd actually leverage your age / experience on group projects and either actively recruit decent group members by saying "look, Im a 31 year old with a real job, and I can't deal with slackers, so if any one else is really interested in having an actual high performing group, let me know' ... or if the teacher assigns the groups, lay down the law nicely, and make everyone agree that if anyone slacks off, the group will include this in the final report.

Yea, its sounds like a jerk thing to 19 year olds probably, but 20 years later they'll be like "that old dude was so right".

I also am taking mostly online courses.

I go to the school library to study because it's well lit and it's much easier to concentrate on my work there than it is at home. There's also plenty of room to walk around and stretch. And you should definitely take some breaks to stretch every 2 hours or so if you spend all day studying.

But my biggest piece of advice is to not bite off more than you can chew. One semester I took more courses than I could handle and I burned out half way through the semester and ended up dropping some of the courses. I work full time and dedicate 2 days of the week to school and those two days weren't enough time for the amount of school work I took on that semester.

I'm going back to college too at 28, but full-time. It's kinda scary to be honest. I feel like I'm making the right decision here, because otherwise, it'll be menial jobs for the rest of my life. But then again, I won't be able to start my career until I'm 33...

kmfdmpig

Online classes tend to attract an older group of students as adults with busy schedules can usually fit online classes into their day more easily. You won't be out of the norm at 31, and probably wouldn't at 40 either.

The key to succeed will be to:
ask questions - your teacher won't be able to read body language or facial expressions in an online class
work ahead when possible -the flexibility that makes online classes so appealing can become a major problem if you don't have self-discipline
take the interactions and discussions seriously as those are where you can work through the concepts with the class and really prepare for the assignments

Kickz

I'm taking community college classes to get an associates in computer science. They start next week. My plan is to transfer that to a university to get a bachelor's in computer science.

Last time I've been to college, I was 18-20, never finished because I liked to party way too much.

Classes are online BTW. I think it will be easier for me to me that way.

Anyone have a similar experience and have advice?

Thanks.
I'm on the same boat as you, would love some advice too.

My advice is to go to a 3 month coding bootcamp that is accredited through a University or College instead. Gets you into the workforce sooner and is cheaper than college, plus they often get you placed into a job before finishing training.

What type of advice are you looking for? There are tons of resources to help through your classes. As far as the social experience, just don't bother telling anyone how old you are because they'll make assumptions based on that. Also don't be that person that talks down to people younger than them. Just blend in.

KodaRuss

I am 32 and I have been kicking around the idea of getting an MBA at some point. I was looking at some information on this just this week. Thanks for starting the topic OP.

geeko

I started school later in life. I was 27 when I started, and nearly 7 years later I am about to receive my bachelors degree. I could have been done years sooner if had I done one thing at the beginning and that is visiting and academic advisor/counselor.

When I started I had no clue what degree I wanted to receive, so I took all the classes I thought would be necessary. I took all the math classes, English, history, a variety of sciences, a ton of electives and a bunch of other crap. After a couple years of classes I finally settled on a Mar-Com degree so I decided to see a counselor to see what I needed to transfer. As it turns out, a ton of the classes I took were non transferable. On the bright side, all those extra classes helped me receive an AA degree.

I also went to college right out of high school and ended up dropping out. Now, Despite working full time and attending school, I find school is easier for me now then it was back then. I think I'm just more mature and understand the importance of finishing.

So, set up a plan and for the most part, only take classes necessary for your degree. Start a little slow the first semester to see how you handle the class load. Take advantage of financial aid such as BOG waivers and FAFSA, and other grants if they are available. Sign up for classes as soon as they are available to avoid waitlists!!!

OH YEAH, look up teachers on ratemyprofessor.com before you register for their class. Some teachers are just not very good at teaching or homework load is horrible. You can avoid some bad classes by researching the teachers beforehand.

Lastly, try and have fun.

Good luck!

Westonian

OH YEAH, look up teachers on ratemyprofessor.com before you register for their class. Some teachers are just not very good at teaching or homework load is horrible. You can avoid some bad classes by researching the teachers beforehand.

This is some solid advice, yo! I love that site and while there were some classes I could not avoid crap professors, it has saved me more than once!

im in a similar boat.. my classes are in person though

I guess I should be thankful that I look younger than I am in this case, but its still really humbling and self conscious

just have to remember that I'm here to get the credits and get out

Sakura

I'm 28 years old and in my first year of University right now.
I'm like the oldest guy in my classes and I feel really weird about it. But it's better late than never or else be working low wage jobs forever (right...?).

Kelsdesu

I was just like you, OP. Partied way too hard in my 20s. That said I just finished my as-t in computer programming at the ripe age of 35 and looking to transfer next year.

It will be hard in the beginning and you will realize that you dont have the energy you did in your 20s. Google/StackOverFlow/Gaf is your friend(shotout to SLO).

Math/physics/chemistry a.k.a. gatekeeping bullshit is whats going to be a bitch to deal with. This will require a huge commitment of time.

Good luck.

Has anyone rented books through Amazon? Seems like a very good deal.

Chegg is cheaper in many cases.

Edit: You are going to find yourself doing alot of self study and literally teaching yourself shit. This is normal and don't get discouraged.

Kuraudo

Banned
I went back when I was 28. Did a Bachelor's through distance learning and then went to a brick uni for a Master's. I took a year off after that to work at the uni and put together a PhD proposal, and I'll be starting the PhD in a few weeks.

My advice is to make sure to dedicate an hour or two to do a bit of work each day, even those which are ostensibly days off. Also read beyond the course a bit. I made a lot of sacrifices to start studying again and wanted to ensure I was able to do my absolute best.

The other advice is to stick with it. I have a lot of friends who returned to school around the same age as me who ended up dropping out quite early in their courses. It's pretty daunting returning to studying and realising you'll be x age when you finish the work, but the few years will fly by and your life will be so much better because of those few years' work.

13ruce

Banned
Just do it dude i fucked up my school several times but now that i am adult (22 currently) i realize without a decent degree life is gonna be hard my parents struggle already and work hard.

It would be a shame i if would meet the same fate all their hard work to support us (me and my sister) would be for nothing and i would live out a less fun live too.

Sure school and work might not always be fun but i rather have a good payig job then a labor one where you just make enough to live and need to work your ass off.

I always had something with computers so that's why i choose IT (can also do something else after since i am planning doing higher education after that anyway if i like it i will do it otherwise something else but that one can always put me i office jobs so its nice to have that degree). I like traveling jobs but if i become a pilot or sea captain my free time wich is important to me would be very narrow. + i am planning a having kid later so never being there for em i could not get it over my heart to do that.

So just do it it will only be for the better and you are still pretty young you still got like 30 work years so why not do it? Otherwise you will be stuck with the same job and IT pays pretty good too so if it turns out you don't like IT or webdesign too much you can have fun in your free time with the money you make and never have to worry about money problems again.

Anyone have experience with going to grad school while working full time? I'm thinking of going for an MS in CS or something similar while working in webdev, should I play my cards right.

I went back to school two summers ago for a certificate in IS Security, and that's after I finished my BA when I was about 26. My best advice is to have good time management, because nobody is going to hold you accountable except yourself. Nobody will care if you don't do your work, it's entirely on you. Makes for good motivation if it's something you really want.

Top Bottom