• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here have partial dentures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prologue

I'm currently a second year dental student. I've personally had a lot of work done on myself so I know to an extent how everything feels. But I'm going to start making dentures/partials for my patients in a few months and yet have no idea how functional they truly are and how they feel during day to day activities. I've had extractions, root canals, restorations, crowns, veneers , abscess drainage, cleanings, braces and retainers , but nothing like partials/dentures.

Just interested in hearing some feed back from those that have parietals. The comfort of them , the complaints . Have they really made a difference for you?

Media

I've had full dentures since I was like 18 due to abuse I suffered. It's going to suck later in life. Any questions you have ask away.

Prologue

I've had full dentures since I was like 18 due to abuse I suffered. It's going to suck later in life. Any questions you have ask away.

Hello!

Hows the comfort?

What was the adjustment period?

Hows eating and talking?

How distinct is the difference between when you had teeth and when you had to get dentures?

Complaints? Comments?

Thanks for your time :)

Media

Hello!

Hows the comfort?

What was the adjustment period?

Hows eating and talking?

How distinct is the difference between when you had teeth and when you had to get dentures?

Complaints? Comments?

Thanks for your time :)

Comfort on my top set is great, they fit really well. A really old dentist crafted them by hand for free when he heard what happened to me. I don't even really notice them when they are in, they fit that well. Going to have to have it replaced soon, as they are getting very old for dentures. The bottom set are very uncomfortable and don't fit well, but I still talk and eat just fine. I cant afford to have rhem replaced. The only things I can't eat are stuff like rock hard candy, caramel, and gum. The adjustment period was basically healing from surgery. The first set will always fit poorly apparently because of swelling. I don't sing as well as I used to but don't sound any different (with them in) otherwise. The biggest difference for me between teeth and no teeth is no pain, though I still have nightmares of shattered teeth.
Edit: Also remember that the top ones have to look good in relation to your patient. The guy that hand crafted mine took a lot of pictures of my face and mouth in order to get the look right and he nailed it. No one knows that I don't tell that my teeth aren't real.

Codeblue

Godspeed OP. Second year was the worst year of my life.

Also, I still use this book in practice and I highly recommend it.

I don't have any sort of dentures myself, but from a clinical standpoint, not replacing extracted posteriors can wreak havoc on your occlusion.

Removable is definitely one of the most subjective disciplines and requires a lot of input and action on the patient's part so there's a lot of room for error and dissatisfaction regardless of how well made your prosthesis is. Take it slow when adjusting old partials and be wary of anyone that comes in with a bag of dentures and asks for new ones. Remember that you're out to make the patient happy, and not make the perfect denture from a scientific standpoint. If it's perfect and they say it feels off, then it's off

Edit: you wouldn't happen to be from Oklahoma, would you Media? Would love to see if I can help you out.

Prologue

Comfort on my top set is great, they fit really well. A really old dentist crafted them by hand for free when he heard what happened to me. I don't even really notice them when they are in, they fit that well. Going to have to have it replaced soon, as they are getting very old for dentures. The bottom set are very uncomfortable and don't fit well, but I still talk and eat just fine. I cant afford to have rhem replaced. The only things I can't eat are stuff like rock hard candy, caramel, and gum. The adjustment period was basically healing from surgery. The first set will always fit poorly apparently because of swelling. I don't sing as well as I used to but don't sound any different (with them in) otherwise. The biggest difference for me between teeth and no teeth is no pain, though I still have nightmares of shattered teeth.
Edit: Also remember that the top ones have to look good in relation to your patient. The guy that hand crafted mine took a lot of pictures of my face and mouth in order to get the look right and he mauled it. No one knows that I don't tell that my teeth aren't real.

Thank you for sharing your story. I really appreciate it.

Godspeed OP. Second year was the worst year of my life.

Also, I still use this book in practice and I highly recommend it.

I don't have any sort of dentures myself, but from a clinical standpoint, not replacing extracted posteriors can wreak havoc on your occlusion.

Removable is definitely one of the most subjective disciplines and requires a lot of input and action on the patient's part so there's a lot of room for error and dissatisfaction regardless of how well made your prosthesis is. Take it slow when adjusting old partials and be wary of anyone that comes in with a bag of dentures and asks for new ones. Remember that you're out to make the patient happy, and not make the perfect denture from a scientific standpoint. If it's perfect and they say it feels off, then it's off

Edit: you wouldn't happen to be from Oklahoma, would you Media? Would love to see if I can help you out.

For his case, can the mandible portion be as good as the maxillary? Or is that usually the troubled aspect of removable?

and second year isn't too bad, a lot more manageable than first year ._.

Codeblue

The mandibular denture will never fit as well as the maxillary. The ridge on the mandible resorbs four times faster, you have to account for the tongue and tissue sliding all over the place potentially popping the denture out, and you don't have the benefit of having the entire the entire palate for retention.

Complete dentures are very much a compromise restoration, especially on the lower. They restore only a small percentage of function. You've got to have at least two implants in there or some locators on some endo treated anterior roots for retention, or a hybrid for function.

Media

The mandibular denture will never fit as well as the maxillary. The ridge on the mandible resorbs four times faster, you have to account for the tongue and tissue sliding all over the place potentially popping the denture out, and you don't have the benefit of having the entire the entire palate for retention.

Complete dentures are very much a compromise restoration, especially on the lower. They restore only a small percentage of function. You've got to have at least two implants in there or some locators on some endo treated anterior roots for retention or a hybrid for function.

Yeah, I am very worried about that. They told me I would likely lose all the bone in my jaw before I was 50. I still have a lot left at 34, but I know it's coming. And I have been allergic to every metal I've encountered, even surgical steel, so I think implants aren't an option. :( Unless they make ceramic ones or something?

Codeblue

Metal implants are titanium based, so you might get an allergy test to see if you're allergic to it.

Ceramic implants are available, and hold up pretty well from what I understand. They're only slightly more prone to fracture than their metal counterparts. They're pretty rare though (at least where I live) so you might have difficulty finding a general dentist or oral surgeon that has them on hand. Not sure if there's a cost difference.

Implants will retain your bone though, so I highly recommend it. Maybe look for a dental residency program in your area that's teaching dentists how to place them.

Media

Metal implants are titanium based, so you might get an allergy test to see if you're allergic to it.

Ceramic implants are available, and hold up pretty well from what I understand. They're only slightly more prone to fracture than their metal counterparts. They're pretty rare though (at least where I live) so you might have difficulty finding a general dentist or oral surgeon that has them on hand. Not sure if there's a cost difference.

Implants will retain your bone though, so I highly recommend it. Maybe look for a dental residency program in your area that's teaching dentists how to place them.

Thank you, I will. I don't want to do something like raise money for it because of the tragic background, but I honestly can't afford it. I wish dental insurance was better in general.

Cepheus

I have a false tooth that was inserted on the top row of teeth, towards the front, to fill a gap that was between them. There's a piece moulded around the back of an adjoining tooth, stuck to it, which is what holds it in place. One tooth was also removed in the process. I got used to it fairly quickly, but I cannot put too much pressure on it as I don't want it snapping, so I tend to chew food in the right side of my mouth, away from it. I was warned not to drink straight from glass bottles, either, in case I accidentally knocked into something and snap the false tooth off. I'm not sure whether my post is really relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom