• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How fucking good are King Crimson?

cmon man Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery is awesome! How can you like early KC and not like Greg Lake's singing on ELP?!
Also by noticing your name I'm guessing you love Genesis too :)

their on tour this year in the US! go do it!

Uhh...you ever listen to Tarkus or anything off their first album?

Because if not, do that.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

I have listened from ELP to Brain Salad Surgery, i have to admit that Emerson, Lake and Palmer (The album from 1970) is good, but their music is always too complicated and soulless (for me) not a fan i think Dream Theater suffers the same problem awesome musicians but boring music), yes i love Genesis from Trespass to Wind and Wuthering they are awesome, i have to admit i like pop Genesis too (sorry haha)

an excellent post about King Crimson's run of albums from a poster with a Watcher of the Skies handle?

two thumbs up from me good sir
Much appreciated.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If you're a fan, you might also want to track down an album he did with Japan's David Sylvian, Damage. Here's two of my favorite tracks; Brightness Falls and Blinding Light of Heaven

I consider The First Day and Damage unofficial KC albums.

https://www.dgmlive.com/news/sylvian-fripp-reissued

The two men had worked together before on Sylvian’s second solo album, Gone To Earth, in 1986 and plans they had made at the time for a further collaboration only started to come to fruition when Sylvian was asked to do a tour of Japan in 1992. Sylvian: "Robert approached me in late 1991 about whether I wanted to join a new King Crimson he was forming. Though very flattered, I decided that I didn’t feel equipped to take on the whole baggage and history that comes with being a member of King Crimson. So instead we took the offer of the tour as an opportunity to write material for an album."

Altazor

Pop Genesis is great, but Gabriel Genesis is number one. Duke is a great album from 80s Genesis

Love Duke, arguably the last truly great album they did instead of "a side" or "a bunch of songs".
And, tbh, my favorite Genesis period is the early Phil years, from A Trick of the Tail to Duke. 3 amazing albums out of 4 (ATTW3 is... a mixed bag) after losing 2 crucial bandmembers isn't so bad :)

Anyway, back to KC. Absent Lovers... brilliant way to end the 80s incarnation, isn't it? Scorching live album.

I have listened from ELP to Brain Salad Surgery, i have to admit that Emerson, Lake and Palmer (The album from 1970) is good, but their music is always too complicated and soulless (for me) not a fan i think Dream Theater suffers the same problem awesome musicians but boring music)

I understand the ELP argument. Dream Theater is my favorite band, but I can see how they can come across as too clinical outside the Kevin Moore albums.

Love Duke, arguably the last truly great album they did instead of "a side" or "a bunch of songs".
And, tbh, my favorite Genesis period is the early Phil years, from A Trick of the Tail to Duke. 3 amazing albums out of 4 (ATTW3 is... a mixed bag) after losing 2 crucial bandmembers isn't so bad :)

80's Genesis has inconsistent albums but damn great tracks. If it weren't for me having to replace "Your Own Special Way" for "Inside And Out" on Wind & Wuthering's track listing I'd call that the weakest of the early Phil / neo-prog era LP's (I actually really like ...And Then There Were Three...).

Dan-o

After listening to the three albums I have on CD a bit more...

You did this to me, GAF. You. Did. This.

nlmXK8N.png

edit: now when are the rest of the studio albums getting 200-gram reissues??

Altazor

That's it? I guess one should never read too much into Fripp lyrics.

to be fair, those were (like pretty much every other lyrical track on the album) Belew's lyrics. I don't think Fripp is much of a lyric writer.

I understand the ELP argument. Dream Theater is my favorite band, but I can see how they can come across as too clinical outside the Kevin Moore albums.

80's Genesis has inconsistent albums but damn great tracks. If it weren't for me having to replace "Your Own Special Way" for "Inside And Out" on Wind & Wuthering's track listing I'd call that the weakest of the early Phil / neo-prog era LP's (I actually really like ...And Then There Were Three...).

1) Dream Theater up until Six Degrees is fucking great. I don't really like them after that. Just... no.

2) Wind and Wuthering starts (first 2 songs) and ends (from "Blood on the Rooftops" onwards) really really strong. It's just that the middle is completely unremarkable to me.

After listening to the three albums I have on CD a bit more...

You did this to me, GAF. You. Did. This.

nlmXK8N.png

Good man, though you should get the Steven Wilson remixes. They sound incredible (and are Fripp-approved...Fripproved?) even if you don't have a 5.1 setup!

Dan-o

Good man, though you should get the Steven Wilson remixes. They sound incredible (and are Fripp-approved...Fripproved?) even if you don't have a 5.1 setup!
I wasn't even aware of these! Must have missed your previous comment about them in this thread. I'll have to seek those out. :)

I mean you don't really need to wait for reissues on those 80's albums as it's pretty easy to get your hands on clean OG pressings.
This is true... We'll see. I think I've got enough to listen to for the time being, anyway. :D

Altazor

Bruford bailed on Yes right on the cusp of them losing direction and joined Crimson right when they were getting their second wind. one of the all-time greatest timing of changing bands.

as a matter of personal preference, I think Relayer is a wonderful album, one in which Alan White's drumming is on fire - and Tales from Topographic Oceans is a (very) flawed gem. Lots of great ideas and moments lost within a very obtuse package.

I do see what you mean, though. Bruford's tenure with KC is pretty damn amazing.

Ok this makes more sense. I didn't think Fripp was ever known to be a wordsmith.

he has a very nice blog, though. I think he enjoys writing without the constraint of fitting the lyrics into a musical context - or maybe he felt other people's lyrics were more appropriate to each of the band's incarnations.

he has a very nice blog, though. I think he enjoys writing without the constraint of fitting the lyrics into a musical context - or maybe he felt other people's lyrics were more appropriate to each of the band's incarnations.
I should look for this, but for some odd reason I'm imagining his blog to be highly pretentious.

Dan-o

Sooooooooo.....
USA FALL TOUR ANNOUNCED

The dates posted today on the tours page are as follows.

19 Oct Bass Performance Hall, Austin
21 Oct Music Hall, Dallas
23 Oct Center Stage, Atlanta
24 Oct Center Stage, Atlanta
26 Oct Duke Energy Centre for the Performing Arts, Raleigh
28 Oct Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C.
29 Oct Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C.
31 Oct New Jersey Performing Arts Centre, Newark
02 Nov Merriam Theatre, Philadelphia
03 Nov Merriam Theatre, Philadelphia
06 Nov Orpheum Theatre, Boston
08 Nov The Egg, Albany
09 Nov The Egg, Albany
11 Nov Miller Symphony Hall, Allentown
17 Nov Beacon Theatre, New York
18 Nov Beacon Theatre, New York
22 Nov Michigan Theatre, Ann Arbor
24 Nov Hard Rock Cafe, Cleveland
26 Nov Riverside Theatre, Milwaukee

Purchase details will follow.

Dan-o

Tickets go on sale this Friday for most of the shows.
I'm going to try for Austin
and maybe Dallas :D

I know it's not the "perfect" lineup for the band, but it's likely the best we'll get before they all retire for good.

BTW, these 200-gram releases sound awesome. Would love to get the remaining albums on vinyl at some point...

I think an old friend of mines dad was in king crimson at one point, never really listened to them though so cant comment if they were any good

Altazor

I think an old friend of mines dad was in king crimson at one point, never really listened to them though so cant comment if they were any good

even if they aren't suited to your particular tastes, they are an incredibly influential band with an enduring musical legacy, a band that cared not for musical boundaries and sought to reinvent itself with the passing of the years.

Hmm. I may have to go to the Cleveland gig.

Does anybody know the presale code for Thursday?

EDIT: Does DGM have any full shows (audio) of the current lineup for sale on their site? It's terrible.

Zweisy1

Great and very creative band, the debut was a very important album as far as defining the genre, Red is obviously a classic with some very strong songwriting, the musicianship is great across the board.. especially the drumwork by Bruford is amazing on that album. I know it's not considered one of their best but I always enjoyed Lizard a lot.. spent a lot of time listening to that album.

That said, I think my favourite out of the classic brit progrock bands is Jethro Tull. 70's JT is just gold. Aqualung, Thick as a Brick, Heavy Horses etc..

Camel is certainly underrated too. Mirage is one of the finest prog albums ever recorded.

They're awesome and one of the most important rock bands of the 70's in my opinion. And the sheer technical mastery of the reinvented 80's Crimson with Andian Bellow, Tony Levin and Bill Bruford is just insane. The live album Absent Lovers from 1984 is probably my favorite Crimson album of all time.

Retro

Are they in iMusic?

Follow up: what's some songs or albums to listen to?

They're on the iTunes store, but I'm not sure how to search their streaming service (which is Apple Music now).

Here's some Youtube links from the thread, though;

Definitely give the stuff other people are linking a listen as well (especially Starless and Epitath), here's a few that haven't been linked yet;

21st Century Schizoid Man (Gonna have to be a live version, everything on Youtube is edited or has super cringe-inducing videos / political crap over it).
In the Court of the Crimson King
Lark's Tongue in Aspic (Part I)
Book of Saturday (Good sample of "Frippertronics")

In the Court of the Crimson King is an amazing and timeless album from start to finish. I have the 200g vinyl reissue which sounds amazing. 'Moonchild' is my favorite track I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EVGR6rSu0c

Thank you for saying Discipline for the most part every time I step into a KC thread I feel like I'm the only one that likes KC's 80's era?
King Crimson, Frame by Frame
King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair -live-(1984)

In terms of albums, "In the Court of the Crimson King", "In the Wake of Poseidon" and "Red" are definitely must-listens, in my opinion. I'm also a big fan of "Lark's Tongue in Aspic." But KC has been around a long time and with the exception of Robert Fripp a lot of people have come and gone, constantly changing the tone and style of the music, so there's no way to say "This is King Crimson" when an album or two later their sound has morphed into something quite different.

The presale codes for RADIO/VENUE in Cleveland are BASSLINE and KEYBOARD.

If anybody has the Citibank presale code please post it here. The codes I have seem to be available only for the right and left sections, not center, in the top pricing tier. A bit of a bummer.

Top Bottom