• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Astral Dog

Been listening to the soundtrack on YouTube all week and it's fucking strong. Not just the arrangements but the sonic quality. In some regards it sounds better than Prime. Better mix at least. A good rich and dynamic mix with plenty of thickness and clarity.

Also, the track titles are major spoilers on Youtube so avoid if you care.
I never would have thought a remake of Metroid II would be so heavy on spoilers

Really liking the game so far, but I somehow missed the memo that this game was 30fps (even on a New 3DS) and was initially quite disappointed. Link Between Worlds felt amazing at 60fps, and 2D Metroid at lower than 60 is saddening. Oh well.

Played about 4 hours. I'm at area 3.
The charge attacks and counters do not belong in a Metroid game. They could work better if the enemies didnt do them immediately. Give me some time to shoot normally ffs.
Everything else is great.
Take your time, learn how to use the counter. Just press X then shoot one bullet, done.
Later you'll be strong enough to mostly shoot normally.

KHlover

Banned
Got the game today and played for a little over an hour. Liking it a lot but I'm not a huge fan of the melee attack, seems like every encounter with an enemy you have to use it. I'm sure this changes as you get more upgrades just not feeling the mechanic right now.

Played about 4 hours. I'm at area 3.
The charge attacks and counters do not belong in a Metroid game. They could work better if the enemies didnt do them immediately. Give me some time to shoot normally ffs.
Everything else is great.

Also my experience so far. Really hope this changes later on :S

FiveSide

Banned
Managed to stay on total media blackout for this, immediately closed tabs if necessary, the works. The only thing I know going in is a vague sense of the artstyle based on some footage I saw for a split-second.

Now all my work finally paid off! Been waiting for this day literally since the launch of the ORIGINAL DS

chrono01

I look forward to playing this game!

in the middle of next week, since Amazon doesn't seem interested in shipping me my SE copy before Monday, despite being a Prime member.

Yes indeed, Amazon.ca is amazing, and I fully endorse their Prime service! /s

Played around 2 hours, 9.3% complete.

Very good version until now, I still have a bit of issues with going into/out of Morph Ball.
The parry mechanic is neat :)

Ridley327

Asking again for a new page: should I be able to walk into a Best Buy tomorrow and get the special edition?

I put your chances somewhere between "hell no" and "hell fucking no," with it tipping more towards the latter. I doubt there's more stock than what they made to cover pre-orders.

Oidisco

I'm liking the game so far but man it's killing my wrists, though that's more because of an illness I have rather than anything to do with the game. Hurts so much that I might wait and see if I can borrow a 3DS XL from a friend of mine.

It'd help if there were some control options. I don't like being forced to hold the R button to use Missiles and the L button to aim at the same time, same with using Spider-ball. It'd be a lot easier if you had the option to toggle them on and off.

Oh hey, looky here! This is the folded out back of the M2VC code card:

postera3a69.jpg

That's neat. NA gets screwed again.

9k8PTYY.jpg

This was included with the latest issue of Nintendo Force. Guess that'll do.

Opa-Pa

Managed to stay on total media blackout for this, immediately closed tabs if necessary, the works. The only thing I know going in is a vague sense of the artstyle based on some footage I saw for a split-second.

Now all my work finally paid off! Been waiting for this day literally since the launch of the ORIGINAL DS

Dude, same, I liked Hunters for what it was, but I was totally expecting a pixel based 2D Metroid at some point too.

Hell, when I got my 3DS I assured my friends we'd "obviously" get a 2.5D Metroid at some point and they laughed at me. Well, see who's laughing now!

I've only been able to play for an hour or so, but I've loved what I have played so far, I was originally lukewarm on the art style but in motion with the music and the sound effects it works exceptionally well.

I'm liking the game so far but man it's killing my wrists

I'm with you, I have a n3dsxl with one of the cybergadget rubberised grips and after 45 minutes of play my hands really start to cramp.

Kadin

Can't believe we're so close to having this. Honestly never thought the day would come. As others have said, a quality Metroid release is def very, very rare.

13ruce

Banned
Ugh still no time on when my package comes on track and trace....
Guess i will call in sick tommorow for school othereise i will have to wait till saturday or monday screw that lol.

Cindro

Roll call - who is getting the Samus-edition N3DS XL tomorrow?

Some fine folks in the last thread were good samaritans and tried to talk me out of it - but then I saw this IGN unboxing video and, well... it looks so good! And after a year and a half with the regular-sized N3DS, I do kind of miss the bigger screen...

Roll call - who is getting the Samus-edition N3DS XL tomorrow?

Some fine folks in the last thread were good samaritans and tried to talk me out of it - but then I saw this IGN unboxing video and, well... it looks so good! And after a year and a half with the regular-sized N3DS, I do kind of miss the bigger screen size...
I was def tempted, but I already own three 3DSs, soooooooooooooo nope

Cindro

I was def tempted, but I already own three 3DSs, soooooooooooooo nope
Well I only own two!

That means I have one extra 3DS' worth of leeway, if I'm trying to abide by ridley182 standards.

And those are standards worth pursuing, fine sir. Those are standards worth pursuing indeed.

*continues trying to talk myself into it while secretly hoping someone will stop me*

Did any reviews talk about Fusion mode? Is it just harder with Samus rocking the ugly suit?

As far as I know, that is correct. Extra hard mode with new duds.

Not a big fan of the fusion costume either but I think this is the best it's ever looked in official media.
4qXoL80.jpg

However I think the best fanart redesign I ever saw is this one:
5Ujxe8Wl.jpg

Opa-Pa

As far as I know, that is correct. Extra hard mode with new duds.

Not a big fan of the fusion costume either but I think this is the best it's ever looked in official media.
4qXoL80.jpg

However I think the best fanart redesign I ever saw is this one:
5Ujxe8Wl.jpg

Yeah, the suit in Samus Returns looks like a- HOLY SHIT, DAMN.

Top Bottom