• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Opa-Pa

Watching this Arlo video on supporting the series. Would it make a difference to sales figures if I buy digitally or physically?

I don't know about sales figures, but going digital does ensurr all money goes directly to Nintendo at the very least.

Are people really that surprised that a extensive remake of a game that's in a series that has had litteraly zero updates in its main line plot since freaking 2002 is going to sneak in a few updates on where it's heading?

I expected this from the very start.
Would have personally torched NOJ if no clues were released after all this time.

Expecting new content and expecting a remake of a game very far behind in the timeline to
have an impact in the future of the series
are completely different things, though.

I'm sure Cerium didn't mean any wrong, so I'm not angry or anything, but that was a bad call.

Are people really that surprised that a extensive remake of a game that's in a series that has had litteraly zero updates in its main line plot since freaking 2002 is going to sneak in a few updates on where it's heading?

I expected this from the very start.
Would have personally torched NOJ if no clues were released after all this time.

It's not that we weren't expecting surprises, it's that we didn't know what form possible surprises might take. That thread title pretty much spelled it out. Total spoiler in and of itself.

Maridia

Getting my copy in a couple of hours. Really hard to avoid that thread hinting at Metroid's future.

I cracked.

Im_So_Pringles said:
It's not that we weren't expecting surprises, it's that we didn't know what form possible surprises might take. That thread title pretty much spelled it out. Total spoiler in and of itself.

So, based on the title of that other thread, what do you think happens? (in spoilers, obviously)

Velcro Fly

Never played a Metroid game but I may pick this up to support the series and of course my 3DS game collection. Plus I already own the two smash Samus amiibo.

Maridia

Am I gonna regret going into that spoiler thread or is it just someone overhyping a coincidence (like the "Project Dread" reference in MP3)?

It's actual spoilers, but (not a plot spoiler)
most of what is talked about is only in the 100% ending, which folks like me will probably never see on our own.

RRockman

Banned
It's not the BIGGEST deal but you made an awful title.

The game isn't even officially out yet.

I dissagree here. Thread title puts it at the ending. That's all we know. What did the title spell out for you? Did you think that
Samus forgot a metroid?
Or
a remnants of an extinct predator species to the x parasites reemerged?

I don't know about sales figures, but going digital does ensurr all money goes directly to Nintendo at the very least.

Expecting new content and expecting a remake of a game very far behind in the timeline to
have an impact in the future of the series
are completely different things, though.

I'm sure Cerium didn't mean any wrong, so I'm not angry or anything, but that was a bad call.

But is it really that far of a stretch to form a like between
fusion, and this game? It almost seems like simple cause and effect, because samus killed the metroids here, fusion was allowed to happen. I really don't think a link to what happens during and a little bit after fusion is all that far fetched

The thread title of this very thread is a hint of a similar caliber too but you guys are OK with it?

I am very excited for this game! Gonna snag it after work tomorrow and it is going to be Great.

I do not understand why you would ruin a perfectly reasonable OT by making its thread title a needless and only tangentially-related reference to a shit game that nearly killed the franchise, though? Kinda sucks.

Wanderer5

Must resist that thread (which the title isn't that big of a deal)!

My amazon order should be right on course tomorrow hopefully, and then that will probably be the last time I will use amazon for preorders for the time being least.

Feltrol

Banned
After playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy, I'm hooked into the series! Probably going to buy this.

Welcome back, Samus. <3

Opa-Pa

Just started this and I'm... Overwhelmed, wow.

-The intro is glorious and almost had me tearing up, haha
-Movement is so incredibly smooth and the controls so responsive that I honestly don't mind it's 30 FPS at all
-Free aiming is a god send and playing with the nub is a non issue
-Sound design is top notch. You HAVE to play this with headphones, you guys, ambient noises are very immersive and give the game a creepy vibe when needed... Prime 1 sound effects suck though
-I was under the impression that the morph ball could only be used by tapping on the touch screen but that's just an alternative and you simply press down twice lol. Less snappy than with a d pad, but yeah
-Combat is very interesting. Enemies are aggressive but they still go down relatively fast, and the counter is pretty cool and versatile (you can even use it mid air!)

Anyway, yeah, I'm fucking in love with this game.

The thread title of this very thread is a hint of a similar caliber too but you guys are OK with it?

The fact that it seems to hint what the other thread implies is a coincidence. This title is literally a quote from an Other M TV spot referring to how Samus' tragic past shaped her.

-Movement is so incredibly smooth and the controls so responsive that I honestly don't mind it's 30 FPS at all
-Sound design is top notch. You HAVE to play this with headphones, you guys... Prime 1 sound effects suck though
-I was under the impression that the morph ball could only be used by tapping on the touch screen but that's just an alternative and you simply press down twice lol. Less snappy than with a d pad, but yeah
-Combat is very interesting. Enemies' are aggressive but they still go down relatively fast, and the counter is pretty cool and versatile (you can even use it mid air!)

Oh man...

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Best Buy delivered by Samus edition 3DS XL early today, but Ill have to wait until tomorrow for the actual game. The thing looks gorgeous.

Pretty sure both panels are TN for you people who care.

edit: the top screen is a lot less wobbly than my other 3ds, but I wonder if that only because it hasn't been used much yet.

RRockman

Banned

-Sound design is top notch. You HAVE to play this with headphones, you guys, ambient noises are very immersive and give the game a creepy vibe when needed... Prime 1 sound effects suck though
-Combat is very interesting. Enemies are aggressive but they still go down relatively fast, and the counter is pretty cool and versatile (you can even use it mid air!)

The fact that it seems to hint what the other thread implies is a coincidence. This title is literally a quote from an Other M TV spot referring to how Samus' tragic past shaped her.

Oh. Tbh I thought OP picked it intending a Shakespeare reference and I thought it was more than slightly out of place until I considered the game might hold hints for M5. But now that I know that Nintendo quoted Shakespeare for that ad makes it wayyy cheesier than I thought.

Opa-Pa

Haha oh man, if you wait long enough on the title screen
the original Gameboy version of the tracks starts playing

I've been playing since I got home from work and three hours flew by. I'm loving it, but I can see why some people have trouble with the control scheme. The game really pushes using all of the buttons on the 3DS, and it can be uncomfortable after playing for a few hours especially if you have large hands. I invested in a grip for my 3DS when I got really into Monster Hunter and I'd definitely recommend it for this game too. I was expecting to have issues with the control scheme based on certain reviews and impressions but so far it's been fine while using the grip. I had to force myself to stop for the night because I really have to get some other stuff done, but the game is excellent so far and I can't wait to really dig in this weekend.

Atrarock

Is this text heavy? How much translation do I need if I import?
Not much, but it's not next to 0. If you're familiar with most abilities Samus acquires in the franchise you'll be fine. Beam upgrades are self explanatory minus the Ice Beam and Grapple Beam (these are separate).

Other than that (and the aeon abilities), I recommend just playing around a bit because some new functions are added to some abilities.

big_z

Controls are not as good as I would like. There's something about holding down the shoulder buttons that feels wrong in the hands especially when using locked stance missiles. The circle pad movement isn't super great either as there's a fair bit of dead zone.

I'm about 4 hours in, playing in an XL.

I'll check when I get home but can you make the L&R buttons toggles instead of press and hold? That might help.

Opa-Pa

Controls are not as good as I would like. There's something about holding down the shoulder buttons that feels wrong in the hands especially when using locked stance missiles. The circle pad movement isn't super great either as there's a fair bit of dead zone.

I'm about 4 hours in, playing in an XL.

I'll check when I get home but can you make the L&R buttons toggles instead of press and hold? That might help.

You can't, sadly. Going to the controls "settings" only shows you what the controls are.

Not sure what's so bad about them though, it's pretty much a very straightforward evolution of Zero Mission's controls... Though yeah, no toggle is a weird omission in a game that expects you to use them often.

The preload unlocks in like 20 minutes right? I find it crazy that I haven't played a 2D Metroid since Fusion on GBA. Very excited for this, a real Metroid game is a rare treat :p

Forgot all about this game and the amiibo. I have to go buy this in the morning. Amiibo are in the mail. Praying for a safe arrival to my post hurricane location.

AmyS

Does this have a pretty large map? And also, I wonder how long of a game it is, compared to Super Metroid.

I never played the original Metroid: Samus Returns on Game Boy, although I did play about 2 hours or so of AM2R (which I really enjoyed btw!).

I was just told by my Gamestop that they cant do a launch tonight for it cause Nintendo wont do 9pm launches. Anyone have the same story? Ive had it done before w Nintendo games I thought :p

Servbot24

Banned
I was just told by my Gamestop that they cant do a launch tonight for it cause Nintendo wont do 9pm launches. Anyone have the same story? Ive had it done before w Nintendo games I thought :p

Some GS employees don't want to risk getting in trouble just so you can play a little bit earlier

You might find some who are willing to bend the rules, but they're not supposed to

Oidisco

Does this have a pretty large map? And also, I wonder how long of a game it is, compared to Super Metroid.

I never played the original Metroid: Samus Returns on Game Boy, although I did play about 2 hours or so of AM2R (which I really enjoyed btw!).

I'm pretty early in Area 3 (not sure how many there are) but each area map so far has been massive.

Kadin

I've been playing since I got home from work and three hours flew by. I'm loving it, but I can see why some people have trouble with the control scheme. The game really pushes using all of the buttons on the 3DS, and it can be uncomfortable after playing for a few hours especially if you have large hands. I invested in a grip for my 3DS when I got really into Monster Hunter and I'd definitely recommend it for this game too. I was expecting to have issues with the control scheme based on certain reviews and impressions but so far it's been fine while using the grip. I had to force myself to stop for the night because I really have to get some other stuff done, but the game is excellent so far and I can't wait to really dig in this weekend.
Have a link to the grip you have? I'm worried myself about this and I've had issues with other games as well, might as well look into one. Have a N3DSXL.

big_z

You can't, sadly. Going to the controls "settings" only shows you what the controls are.

Not sure what's so bad about them though, it's pretty much a very straightforward evolution of Zero Mission's controls... Though yeah, no toggle is a weird omission in a game that expects you to use them often.

The controls work mechanically fine, it's the ergonomics of the 3ds that make them uncomfortable to use.

Like when you fight a metroid trying to maneuver and then quickly use three buttons to fire a missile feels bad. So does holding down L for the sticky ball for minutes at a time. Fingers feel tangled and cramp up. It's why a toggle would have helped some.

Top Bottom