• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Controllers

Brashnir

controller.jpg

Literally the worst.

Yep. I'm pretty sure I still have permanent damage to my fingertips from those awful side buttons.

Nintendo has only made three objectively good controllers:

The WiiU and Switch Pro controllers
The SNES controller

The rest of the them were such mixed bags of awkwardness and novelty -- though I do have to credit to them for some innovations (convertible controllers in the Switch, though less than ideal when in "tiny split" mode, is neat, accelerometers have some uses, and the N64 analog stick was a game changer).

There has never been a bad Playstation controller in the main line of dualshock-esques. The Move, however...

Special shout out to this piece of absolute shit though, which I can't believe I convinced my parents to buy me:

Malus

The Switch Joycons made me spend $70 to get the pro controller so there's that. Terrible ergonomics, button placement, tiny buttons and sticks. Can't charge it in the grip unless you buy a special accessory. Yuck.

Karanlos

PlayStation3-Sixaxis.png

The gab within the dpad is the worst design they could come with. Also both analog stick are misplaced. Last but not least, the size of this controller is made for small hands.

(I'm not counting any 3th party controllers)

Having played the uncharted games on PS3 I always got cramps using this controller. Never felt great in my hands. Wonder if the banana/boomerang controller would have been more ergonomic.

D.Lo

Anyone posting first party controllers apart from:
  • Colecovision
  • SG1000
  • Master System (the d-pad, possibly the worst first party one ever)
  • First western Saturn controller
Are taking the piss. Or teenagers or younger.

N64 stick wearing out (or you being too stupid to know how to hold it), Dreamcast D-pad, Sony d-pad and batteries issues, Xbox duke size, Gamecube face buttons not great for multiplats - these types of things are small issues on otherwise high quality, useable controllers that even often excel at their designed functions, certainly for time of release.

Try those listed above, or 3rd party PC pads from the 80s etc then come back and complain about the Gamecube Z-button or Dual Shock stick placement and tell me they are still the worst ever.

C4Lukins

As far as standard controllers for systems I owned, N64, GameCube, Wiimote, and The Duke. Power Glove, U-Force, original Kinect and Rob the Robot as far as non conventional controllers.

Excluding all 3rd party controllers.
The worst mainline controller I've ever used is probably the duke, but the revised OG xbox controller is great.

Im surprised there's so much hate on the GCN here, I agree the d pad is trash, but everything else is GOAT.

flattie

The Duke wins the crown. Ridiculous piece of trash.

Dreamcast is runner up purely for the d-pad, slippy analogue stick and idiotic cable gland position. Trying to do Shenmue QTEs with that d-pad was horrendous sometimes.

For sure it's the Wii U gamepad. It manages to be both cheap feeling and too heavy. It's also bulky and poorly laid out. I can't even hold it, it disgusts me.

Second place goes to the Dualshock 3 triggers, which are terrible.

eXistor

Not necessarily the worst, but the Dreamcast controller was such a huge step back from the godly 6-button Saturn controller, which is arguably the best controller ever made.

About the Cube controller: I like it overall, but there's definitely some big flaws. The D-pad was so stiff and small, it hurt to use. Though, admittedly I can't really remember any game that used it in any significant way, so there's that.

Ritzboof

This. But my main entry:

312tktRhIEL.jpg

Although it feels great in your hands (very, VERY ergonomic!), there are a few problems:

- Weird shaped face buttons (probably my biggest beef)
- The Dpad is just... LOL.
- C-stick... Actually, to be honest, I don't fully understand the concept behind the C-stick
- Uneven shoulder/trigger layout... Both on one side, but only one on the left side?

It makes it impossible for me to play fighting games on the GameCube. Which is a shame, because there are some good fighting games on there (for one, arguably the best version of SoulCalibur II is on that console).

is this a joke? in particular, the face buttons on the gamecube controller are fascinating to me. you have access to every button from the A button, so you could press anything along with A just by tilting your thumb. you cant do that on a standard layout, obviously, and you could do a lot of interesting things

in any case, im just gunna say that ive never been able to get used to a dual shock controller. ive never liked their Dpads, and the analog stick is still used primarily for a lot of games, but it feels so unnatural to use. i honestly dont like the feeling the controller in general

Nintendo 64

Yeah, I have to agree. Eventually you could get used to it, but controllers shouldn't be something that you have to eventually get used to.

Realized thiis when replaying Banjo Kazooie. Doing inputs other than the the main 8 is really annoying to do. It was much easier when I played on emulator with a different controller.

This. But my main entry:

312tktRhIEL.jpg

Although it feels great in your hands (very, VERY ergonomic!), there are a few problems:

- Weird shaped face buttons (probably my biggest beef)
- The Dpad is just... LOL.
- C-stick... Actually, to be honest, I don't fully understand the concept behind the C-stick
- Uneven shoulder/trigger layout... Both on one side, but only one on the left side?

It makes it impossible for me to play fighting games on the GameCube. Which is a shame, because there are some good fighting games on there (for one, arguably the best version of SoulCalibur II is on that console).
I agree with all of these.

Naked Lunch

Dualshock 3 - those awful triggers, squishy buttons, and analogs - just inexcusable for a modern system.

Gamecube - nintendo being nintendo, the buttons were a huge mistake. tiny "c camera stick"- laughable triggers. What a joke of a controller.

Intellivision - ill give this one a slight pass because it was the dawn of videogames.

All garbage.

Dual Shocks were pretty horrible until the 4. They're just too small, the hadn't grips aren't ergonomic. It's like holding a doorstopper. Analog sticks were also terribly placed, they were way too close together to be symmetrical in the position they are in. Honestly it felt like a plastic kids toy. The Ds4 also feels cheap but its wayyyy more comfortable.The Wii U gamepad is also pretty damn terrible. holding that thing just doesn't feel right. It doesn't contour enough at the bottom, the analog sticks are too close to the edge. Seriously, you have to go out of your way to place your thumbs on them. That thing was really made for little kid hands.

All controllers are great, except for one IMO.
802563b.jpg

It wasnt uncomfortable,but for long sessions? Oohh boy does it make your hands hurt.
It doesnt help that the analog sticks arent well built, it broke after a few xenoblade runs.

this thing had an awesome d-pad but terrible sticks that almost touched each other if you wanted to (for example) strafe right while looking left.

not that i played many things with dual-analog controls on the wii, but yeah. very much a virtual console controller.

UMGAWA

The "bigger hands" western Sega saturn controller.
Those shoulder buttons were painfully bad.
Lets not talk about the d-pad.

Thankfully this sad excuse was replaced with the Japanese model in western markets.

Spman2099

For me, one of the best controllers is also one of the worst.

The 360 controller was so, so good, but the d-pad was unacceptable. Ultimately, that meant that any 2D game I purchased HAD to be on the PS3. The 360 controller just couldn't play them right. So, as much as I think the 360 controller is one of the best ever for feel, it is also the only one to actually force me to play certain games on another console. So it at least deserves a mention for that criminally bad D-pad.

Peterc

300px-PlayStation3-DualShock3.jpg

The gab within the dpad is the worst design they could come with. Also both analog stick are misplaced. Last but not least, the size of this controller is made for small hands.

I have to agree with you, they have tried to make another design;

220px-PS3_boomerang_controller_%28cropped_and_sharpened%29.jpg

But it's just not their thing

kubev

The Jaguar controller's really comfortable to hold. Sure, its buttons and d-pad weren't great, and it's arguable that the controller's design was unsuitable for the types of exclusive games that Jaguar had to offer a lot of the time, but the claims that it's uncomfortable to hold a Jaguar controller are always baffling to me.

gelf

For me, one of the best controllers is also one of the worst.

The 360 controller was so, so good, but the d-pad was unacceptable. Ultimately, that meant that any 2D game I purchased HAD to be on the PS3. The 360 controller just couldn't play them right. So, as much as I think the 360 controller is one of the best ever for feel, it is also the only one to actually force me to play certain games on another console. So it at least deserves a mention for that criminally bad D-pad.
I can agree with this. I've used the 360 pad a lot as it's great for many games but that dpad is so bad that it forced me to look for alternatives. Other first party pads I've used have had thier flaws but I've been able to live with them and play any game type available. Not so with that dpad.

robotrock

Banned

I don't think this is the worst controller ever, but I am eternally glad that the Wii U didn't have any games on it so I didn't have to use this thing. The glossy finish combined with how I had to hold my hands far apart from each other as well as it's poor battery life, I was super not into it. Was not a fan of the screen at all, whether it was looking at it or touching it.

DPB

I wouldn't say it's the worst ever but I really dislike the Dreamcast controller.

Grips are straight, which means your wrists end up bent into an uncomfortable position.
D-pad is too tall with sharp edges.
Analog stick feels cheap and plasticky.
Triggers are positioned too low.
It feels like holding a small brick when you have a VMU and the vibration pack connected.
For some reason it has less buttons than the 3D Control Pad it was based on.

Kurt

I don't think this is the worst controller ever, but I am eternally glad that the Wii U didn't have any games on it so I didn't have to use this thing. The glossy finish combined with how I had to hold my hands far apart from each other as well as it's poor battery life, I was super not into it. Was not a fan of the screen at all, whether it was looking at it or touching it.

Yeah but that doesn't have something to do with the controller.
Also the wii u pad was comfortable to hold. I agree that the display isn't that good.

Some here are telling that the n64 is the worst.
One of the good designs of this controller is that this one is the only so far that combine analog & dpad within the right position. (also the z-trigger was on the right place) With all the other controllers out there, the dpad or analog is positioned more uncomfortable in a way. I agree that the quality of that controller could have been better. The analog stick was been broken after a while :/

The switch on the other hand can still release a separated dpad joy con. (i'm sure that they would do this)

Trickster

Of the ones I've every used, it probably would be the NES controller. But I can't really remember how that was.

The one I can remember thinking was shit, was the N64 one. That thing was so uncomfortable

Gravis was the king of awful d-pads back in the day...

hqdefault.jpg

gravcon2.jpg

I never had a Gravis pad that properly centered the d-pad.

God, 9 year old me wanted to die trying to play Front Page Football with this piece of garbage on the family PC in the early 90's. Thanks for bringing back that spine tingling memory.

Chinbo37

I don't understand the n64 hate.

The analog stick was indeed trash that eventually ground away to dust.

However in terms of design it was fine. Basically 2 different controllers in 1. If you used the analog + face buttons then you had the nice z trigger on the back. C buttons were a bit small but other than that it felt fine.

I don't understand the n64 hate.

The analog stick was indeed trash that eventually ground away to dust.

However in terms of design it was fine. Basically 2 different controllers in 1. If you used the analog + face buttons then you had the nice z trigger on the back. C buttons were a bit small but other than that it felt fine.

Gotta remember that a lot of people held the controller like this:

n64hand1.jpg

empo

Anyone posting first party controllers apart from:
  • Colecovision
  • SG1000
  • Master System (the d-pad, possibly the worst first party one ever)
  • First western Saturn controller
Are taking the piss. Or teenagers or younger.

I believe Coleco/SG1000/various Atari joysticks would take the cake just from watching pictures but from controllers I've actually used yeah the big Saturn one is pretty damn bad.
Ergonomics, dpad and shoulder bumpers were just wrong, but atleast I think the face buttons were alright. I don't actually remember hating the MS pad but didn't play it alot.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Of those I've tried the Dreamcast controller was probably the worst. Wire on the wrong side and way to tight on the underside. Made my fingers hurt.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
The real answers will always be weird old controllers and third party trash, but I still can't believe that the PlayStation brand remained dominant for so long with a controller that was clearly not designed for human hands. I'm very glad Sony woke up for the DS4.

Ivan

300px-PlayStation3-DualShock3.jpg

This is always the worst example in threads like this. It hurts me every time.

Saying the legendary controller design is the worst ever, come on man.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When a thread asks for the worst controllers you expect to see real bottom of the bin garbage that makes you wonder what someone was thinking designing this, like all those novelty character based joysticks.

What we actually get is pictures of good (not necessarily perfect) controllers from people who seem to have only experienced about three controllers in their entire life.

I want to see stuff that makes MadCatz look good.

Top Bottom