• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else have excessive passive aggressive personality disorder?

Not

Banned
I'm taking marital counseling and filled out a psychological assessment as an introduction. Tried to be as honest as possible for the sake of it. I wasn't in a great place emotionally when I took the test, but apparently the test can figure that out (!) based on my answers and still determine stable factors that cause me to occasionally feel depressed and worthless.

I always thought passive aggressiveness simply referred to being scared to confront people about what you really want, but it's actually broad enough to mean that you just want to do whatever you want and actively resent any other person who might impede that. Jesus Christ.

I tested off the charts. Fucking 113/100. Stars all across the page. Looked like this:

Dysthymia: **************

Bipolar: *****

PAPD: *********************************************************************************************************************************

Narcissism: *******

Debasement: ************************

I think I owe roommate GAF an apology.

Here's another excerpt. Anything familiar?

The behavior of this man is typified by a quiet, edgy, and dependent way of relating to others. Notable are his marked deficit in social interest, his frequent eccentricities, ideas of reference, occasional magical thinking, and depersonalization anxieties. His intensely introversive pattern coexists with a lack of energy, deficient social initiative, and minimal activity-seeking behavior.

Self-belittling, he prefers the self-image of a weak and ineffectual person.

His uneventful life is composed of extended periods of solitude that are characterized by feelings of emptiness. ... Displaying a pervasive inadequacy in most areas, he tends to follow a meaningless, ineffectual, idle life pattern that is marked by his characteristic tendency to remain on the periphery of social activities.
Burn. :(

Not all of this is accurate, but holy shit does it lay some of it out. I guess now I can work on fixing it. Maybe I should go out more often and strike a conversation with someone. I never have trouble communicating or interacting with people, I just don't seek it out. I like hanging out with tons of people (especially if I'm the center of attention), but I think it's more about achieving a feeling of acceptance and belonging than actually enjoying other people's company.

Are any blossoming therapists reading this? Is passive aggressive disorder one of the more common afflictions out there? Does it maybe have to do with American culture? Are there a lot of people out there with this?

"I'd feel worse for her, though, if she didn't score 97/100 for the same thing."

There's your passive aggressiveness in action.

Sorry about the diagnosis but it's the first step to improving yourself, good luck.

Nohar

Depending on how you were raised and what you went through life, I am not surprised that some/many of us turn to passive-aggressiveness. Although I didn't know about the self-loathing aspect.

My mother was incredibly passive aggressive, though it has eased a bit with age.

I know I have some of that in me, though I am more on the passive side in general.

Not

Banned
I'm not actually passive-aggressive in the most commonly-worded sense. I'm very upfront with people about how I think and feel, even if it causes confrontation.

Apparently "passive aggressive" in psychological terms refers to the blanket tendency that I have now bolded in the OP

Rayis

I'm sorry OP but I laughed at the diagnosis, mostly because it also describes a lot of my own behavior, sending virtual hugs your way though, hopefully you'll be able to improve your condition.

Oxn

I'm taking marital counseling and filled out a psychological assessment as an introduction. Tried to be as honest as possible for the sake of it. I wasn't in a great place emotionally when I took the test, but apparently the test can figure that out (!) based on my answers and still determine stable factors that cause me to occasionally feel depressed and worthless.

I always thought passive aggressiveness simply referred to being scared to confront people about what you really want, but it's actually broad enough to mean that you just want to do whatever you want and actively resent any other person who might impede that. Jesus Christ.

I tested off the charts. Fucking 113/100. Stars all across the page. Looked like this:

Dysthymia: **************

Bipolar: *****

PAPD: *********************************************************************************************************************************

Narcissism: *******

Debasement: ************************

I think I owe roommate GAF an apology.

Here's another excerpt. Anything familiar?

Burn. :(

Not all of this is accurate, but holy shit does it lay some of it out. I guess now I can work on fixing it. Maybe I should go out more often and strike a conversation with someone. I never have trouble communicating or interacting with people, I just don't seek it out. I like hanging out with tons of people (especially if I'm the center of attention), but I think it's more about achieving a feeling of acceptance and belonging than actually enjoying other people's company.

Are any blossoming therapists reading this? Is passive aggressive disorder one of the more common afflictions out there? Does it maybe have to do with American culture? Are there a lot of people out there with this?

Oh man that describes like 95% of me, especially the part you bolded.

Think i may have it.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds like a bunch of pseudo science gobbledygook

This sounds like a bunch of pseudo science gobbledygook
yea, what kind of test is this? I kind of doubt real psychiatry would give a patient's diagnosis that essentially reads as 'you're a boring piece of shit with meaningless life. Also u r an asshole lol'.
I am not sure I would read too much into this, OP.

oneils

Holy shit that quote is brutal. I recognize myself in some of it. But I do try to change, that's gotta count for something right?

Shredderi

His uneventful life is composed of extended periods of solitude that are characterized by feelings of emptiness. ... Displaying a pervasive inadequacy in most areas, he tends to follow a meaningless, ineffectual, idle life pattern that is marked by his characteristic tendency to remain on the periphery of social activities.

Jesus fucking christ is this an objective assessment of this personality type of is it trying to outright punish anyone who is like this :D That is a pretty deep burn because I recognize myself in it, yet I don't think I'm passive aggressive.

Dammit I gotta try to stop staying on the periphery of social situations.

Maybe if I run into the centre of a room and yell bazinga people will like me more.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
For all those confused: magical thinking is any thinking which assumes that one can influence stuff without actively effecting it.

A good example: jinxes. Thinking that saying "this can't possibly get worse" will make things worse, is magical thinking.

Pagusas

Elden Member
For all those confused: magical thinking is any thinking which assumes that one can influence stuff without actively effecting it.

A good example: jinxes. Thinking that saying "this can't possibly get worse" will make things worse, is magical thinking.

My wife is always telling me I jinx everything. I'm going to start telling her she's a magical thinker.

Kinokou

That's actually an accepted academic term?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
You can grow a lot of shrooms in that horseshit to help you with that magical thinking.

big_z

Is this test available online? We should compare scores... add a little variety over the typical penis length threads.

Not

Banned
Is this test available online? We should compare scores... add a little variety over the typical penis length threads.

I don't think so. I wish I could remember the name of it, but it appeared to be standardized and official. I filled out a scantron, essentially. The therapist mentioned it was used in some aspect of the military and/or government IIRC.

ITT. everyone learns what magical thinking. Prayers are also magical thinking, and probably the biggest use of it.

Ah. Makes sense, as I was raised Baptist.

Top Bottom