• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Siliconera: Dragon Ball FighterZ Producer On Creating Core Fighting Game & Characters

Tripon

Previously, Dragon Ball games like the Budokai series and Xenoverse were 3D and casual fighting games while Dragon Ball FighterZ is designed to be a hardcore 3v3 fighter. What was the reason behind this change?

Tomoko Hiroki, Producer: We know the previous game Dragon Ball Xenoverse was even a challenge for us and through that challenge we were able to bring in new fans. Now that we have a broad audience, thanks to Dragon Ball Xenoverse, we thought it would be the right time to make this game since there are a lot of fans who say 2D fighting is the root of Dragon Ball and we think so too as well.

One of our goals for Dragon Ball FighterZ is to aim for the core fighting game audience and eventually we would like to make those casual Dragon Ball fans into core fighting gamers. Since eSports is very huge and within the fighting genre it’s quite large too and combining that with a beloved franchise all over the world would be a great fit.

When we are looking at the current roster shown at E3, the characters feel quite similar since everyone has a rush attack with the Dragon Rush and fireball attacks. Are there plans to have characters that are different from the line up?

When you think about a fighting game with original characters, the developers think about how the characters should move or fight then create the character based on that design. But for a franchise that already exists like Dragon Ball everyone knows what a character is like ahead of time. It was difficult to bring that into a fighting game since people have an idea of how those characters fight already.

For the six characters we have shown so far, maybe Majin Boo is unique, but the other characters are similar. Although we want to say who the new characters are we can promise they are very unique and not standard at all. Please look forward to that.
Does that mean there are some characters with supportive assists that can buff another character or heal a character instead of fighting?

There aren’t characters that are only specific for assisting, but basically each of the characters have different supporting skills. We can’t go into the details because we can’t reveal the entire roster. We can tell you it isn’t just coming out and dealing attacks and it is very different across the characters.

In the casual Dragon Ball games there is story content where characters can grow and get stronger. Are there plans to include deep single player story content or is the focus on player vs. player?

It’s true we are focusing on combat. That is why we are not putting in a level up or customization system so you can win with your gameplay skills. We will have a rich single player mode so it won’t be difficult for fans to go in, but we can’t go into details right now. We were kind of greedy, but we want to appeal to casual Dragon Ball fans and hardcore fans as well. We have been working on the balance for both audiences.

Who is your favorite character?

Gohan. I recently had a daughter and she is two years old. As I watch her grow up it reminds me of Gohan. He’s smart and strong, maybe not as strong in the recent episodes, but he’s tough.

More in the link.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/2...reating-core-fighting-game-character-variety/

Instro

Gohan. I recently had a daughter and she is two years old. As I watch her grow up it reminds me of Gohan. He’s smart and strong, maybe not as strong in the recent episodes, but he’s tough

Haha, yeah he sucks.

Gohan. I recently had a daughter and she is two years old. As I watch her grow up it reminds me of Gohan. He’s smart and strong, maybe not as strong in the recent episodes, but he’s tough.
Gohan is the best. Especially now.

It's great that we are getting two different genre titles in the same franchise concurrently. DBFZ will coexist with Xenoverse, because a XV3 is in the works.

Big One

Banned
Really looking forward to what we're getting if Majin Boo is listed as the "exception" of the norm. Should be some crazy shit.

Piers

Wonder what the single player stuff is
Would actually prefer no story mode. Lack of transformations is already awkward, but repeats of Z's story is now a weird religion at this point.
Unique arcade endings would still be nice, though -- even something simple like some manga panels.

LotusHD

Banned
Would actually prefer no story mode.

cringe.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
An Arc system works story mode in that style of theirs? Would love it

Of course it could not be just visual novel style for 90% of cut-scenes for 10%, that would be utter tripe

kunonabi

Characters feeling samey was a big problem with the 3DS game so hopefully they really are making it a point to avoid that.

Eylos

Banned
I think Its marketing, Boo is kinda normal except elasticity the only one that i think that has unorthodox fighting is gotenks with ghosts, picolo with elasticity and clones, tenshihan weird 4 arms and also has clones, future Trunks with the sword

All the Others are similar they Will have to be creative

Edit: hit is Very different and would be cool

I think Its marketing, Boo is kinda normal except elasticity the only one that i think that has unorthodox fighting is gotenks with ghosts, picolo with elasticity and clones, tenshihan weird 4 arms and also has clones, future Trunks with the sword

All the Others are similar they Will have to be creative

If that wack-ass Hyper Dimension game managed to have Saiyans use distinct moves gameplay-wise while still referencing the source material pretty sure ArcSys can get this right.

BadWolf

I'm with him though, for this game i don't think story is really necessary. I would glady sacrifice story mode for a larger roster than the one we are getting apparently.

With these visuals you can't really expect a huge roster day 1.

It took them a while to get GG's roster to a decent size.

Would actually prefer no story mode. Lack of transformations is already awkward, but repeats of Z's story is now a weird religion at this point.
Unique arcade endings would still be nice, though -- even something simple like some manga panels.

A DBZ game with no story mode is suicide.

I'd be okay if the Story Mode was like Blazblue's where everyone had their own path.

The story being integrated into Arcade Mode would be good with me as well.

Hydrus

It’s true we are focusing on combat. That is why we are not putting in a level up or customization system so you can win with your gameplay skills.

Thank you so much!!!

He’s smart and strong, maybe not as strong in the recent episodes, but he’s tough.

Lol. Gohan still taking those L's.

Laiza

It's great that we are getting two different genre titles in the same franchise concurrently. DBFZ will coexist with Xenoverse, because a XV3 is in the works.
I hope there's some cross-pollination and the two teams elevate one another.

For starters, if the art director of XV could take some pointers from ASW...

LotusHD

Banned
I'm with him though, for this game i don't think story is really necessary. I would glady sacrifice story mode for a larger roster than the one we are getting apparently.

If I expect anything from an anime fighting game, it's to have a Story Mode of some kind, especially the DBZ games. Doesn't matter if it's been done to death, do something new if must be, or put a spin on it like Xenoverse. But none at all? Blasphemy lol

A DBZ game with no story mode is suicide.

Ya, interest would infinitely drop if that was the case.

Puruzi

Banned
I wasn't aware that people gave a fuck about whatever the story mode would be in this game but ok

I'm fine with there being one or with there not being one

LotusHD

Banned
I wasn't aware that people gave a fuck about whatever the story mode would be in this game but ok

I'm fine with there being one or with there not being one

If it was some random fighting game, I wouldn't really care. Or more accurately, wouldn't be disappointed. But DBZ has a precedent w/ stuff like this, so yes, I would like something along those lines lol

Gohan. I recently had a daughter and she is two years old. As I watch her grow up it reminds me of Gohan. He's smart and strong, maybe not as strong in the recent episodes, but he's tough.
I thought she said she watched Super, the boy's been back this year.

Dark_castle

The dilemma for them is female characters. They're not a lot of female fighters in Dragon Ball series, most of them are from Super and they're not even as prominent in the story as the male characters. Realistically, it will only be Android 18 in the roster for female representation, just like universe 7 team.

Top Bottom