• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
A_Dang's post reminds me, MaRo's strongly hinting that Unstable will have "watermarks matter", which people have wanted in black border for a long time.

alternade

A_Dang's post reminds me, MaRo's strongly hinting that Unstable will have "watermarks matter", which people have wanted in black border for a long time.

I can't wrap my head around this. What does "watermark matters" even mean and how would it be different than just having rules text on the card?

Joe Molotov

I can't wrap my head around this. What does "watermark matters" even mean and how would it be different than just having rules text on the card?

For sets where there are guilds or clans or whatever, sometimes they print watermarks on the cards that show that this card is part of this clan. So you can print a card that said "Abzan Creatures get +1/+1 for every other Abzan creature in play" and then you count which cards have the Abzan watermark.

Cards with the same watermark are thematically linked but currently there is no way to make them work together outside of the actual effects of the card. Mainly, it seems like people want to be able to make Azorius tribal decks based on the Azorius watermark and such. I expect a decent number of watermarks matter cards will be generalized to allow this. Though the fact that guild symbols change between Ravnica and RtR could cause issue.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Watermarks matters sounds like an awful idea dreamed up by bored message board posters in the doldrums between set releases.

I'm personally more excited for Artist matters cards. Rebecca Guay tribal FTW.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Watermarks matter people should be sent to the same island that vanilla matters people are gonna be sent. And then that island should be exploded

bigkrev

It's fine to have Watermarks in a silver boardered set. Hell, I'd probably make them like black boarder cards (ie, no whackyness/rule breaking). Make it so if a group of friends wants to mix them into their casual 60s decks, they don't seem too out of place, and it means they don't have to solve rules issues like reprints without the symbol/Rav guild symbol changes, ect.

standard seems really wide open; i'm sure it has been said here before. that mono red queue on CFB makes me think the format might actually be healthy again

Violet_0

Banned
standard seems pretty alright. The god-pharao's gift decks look quite fun (I'm rooting for BU over WU), but this feels like a such an interim period, only two more months before two blocks rotate out (not that BFZ sees much play). I think most people are just waiting it out until then. I'm considering making a standard deck again next season, RB pirates looks pretty interesting. I'm also moving soon-ish and can finally play in stores again

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
The translation is really bad in Portuguesecards anyway so you're not missing much. I'm really annoyed that they are now translating Commander decks in Brazil since 2016 so I no longer have access to them in English.

I just wanted to try and crack some packs and buy some Staples in other languages. I got an old Fling, Magma Spray, and Watery Grave. I enjoy having my decks be a bunch of different languages, it's easier to do than all foils.

Santiako

Pro Tour starts in about 6 hours. All nighters yay

I just wanted to try and crack some packs and buy some Staples in other languages. I got an old Fling, Magma Spray, and Watery Grave. I enjoy having my decks be a bunch of different languages, it's easier to do than all foils.

In Europe thanks to magiccardmarket most people's deck are a mishmash of languages lol

Right now in my modern Titanshift deck I have cards in English, Spanish, Italian and German (I just get the cheapest available always haha)

And Vraska for that matter. What does the Golden City on Ixalan have that Bolas needs?

There's no reason at all to believe Ixalan has anything to do with the Bolas plot. We're going there because it's where Jace washes up.

Second edit: yeah Bolas is going to Dominaria. He wants to control the plane so he can figure out how to undo the Mending.

I think what we know about the set scheduling pretty much decisively disproves this, since we're firmly in the "regather the team" phase of the storytelling now and we're not going to be getting back to what Bolas' actual evil plan is one block forward from here.

I have figured Bolas' plan out. He's going after the Mirari, which is, presumably, somewhere on New Phyrexia. I assume the Eternals are immune to compleation. This would also explain why he
mostly
destroyed Amonkhet, he only needed enough for a quick strike to get the Mirari and GTFO.

This is all wild speculation.

I have figured Bolas' plan out. He's going after the Mirari, which is, presumably, somewhere on New Phyrexia. I assume the Eternals are immune to compleation. This would also explain why he
mostly
destroyed Amonkhet, he only needed enough for a quick strike to get the Mirari and GTFO.

This is all wild speculation.

Bolas vs. Phyrexians would make for one hell of a set.

Mirrari coming back would be hilarious. I always just assumed they left it unmentioned so the Mirrans could bring it back to defeat the phyrexians at a later point.

OnPoint

Mirrari coming back would be hilarious. I always just assumed they left it unmentioned so the Mirrans could bring it back to defeat the phyrexians at a later point.

I thought the Mirari became Memnarch. I am admittedly not brushed up my lore post first block Otaria though.

Santiako

I thought the Mirari became Memnarch. I am admittedly not brushed up my lore post first block Otaria though.

Mirari became Memnarch, Karn stripped Memnarch back to the Mirari and gave it to Slobad who was then killed by random goblins and the Mirari was never heard of again.

Honestly, it's fine if Bolas becomes a hero. He doesn't want blood, death, screams, and something better. He's willing to compromise. He's a reasonable guy.

If we can negotiate down to just blood there's already the boilerplate deal Sorin got.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Honestly, it's fine if Bolas becomes a hero. He doesn't want blood, death, screams, and something better. He's willing to compromise. He's a reasonable guy.

If we can negotiate down to just blood there's already the boilerplate deal Sorin got.
Bolas hasn't ever been reasonable

Joe Molotov

What if Ugin's love was the something better that he'd been looking for? What if the blood and screams were inside his heart all along?

alternade

Cards with the same watermark are thematically linked but currently there is no way to make them work together outside of the actual effects of the card. Mainly, it seems like people want to be able to make Azorius tribal decks based on the Azorius watermark and such. I expect a decent number of watermarks matter cards will be generalized to allow this. Though the fact that guild symbols change between Ravnica and RtR could cause issue.

For sets where there are guilds or clans or whatever, sometimes they print watermarks on the cards that show that this card is part of this clan. So you can print a card that said "Abzan Creatures get +1/+1 for every other Abzan creature in play" and then you count which cards have the Abzan watermark.

But how is that any different than fixed tribal or just a useless keyword like Devoid on the card that signifies that the card is Azorius or Dimir? I just don't see how a watermark is a better solution.

But how is that any different than fixed tribal or just a useless keyword like Devoid on the card that signifies that the card is Azorius or Dimir? I just don't see how a watermark is a better solution.

A watermark doesn't actually take up card space. If they had something in place to allow cross-tribe tribal then we wouldn't have to put up with shit like devoid. If you want a faction to be rules coded it has to be represented on the card in some way and there really isn't a way to without literally printing some words in the rules text, which is how we get devoid. Watermarks is a much more elegant solution to that, but WotC doesn't do it because reprints and watermark revisions ala RtR muddle the mixture on it.

Watermarks already exist, so Unstable watermarks matter cards would be backwards compatible. At this point, it's too late to include faction signifiers in the type line or anywhere else, so you can't make a black border card that boosts Phyrexian spells or anything. Since silver border looks outside the rules, it can handle that just fine with watermarks.

"Watermark matters" in an un-set is fine, but why not take it to the next level and do "collector number" matters?

12.jpg

it's clever because white cards always have the higher collector numberrs

"Watermark matters" in an un-set is fine, but why not take it to the next level and do "collector number" matters?
You said that as a joke, but there is some design space there. Collector numbers are ordered by card frame type (typically color then special frames) so a card that had you set a range of, say, 20 collector numbers and boosted spells in that range could send you in interesting directions while drafting and deck building. You could go monocolored by centering yourself in that color, or two color by setting yourself at the boundary. Or "mono gold", etc.

As that gets into the nitty gritty of the card, that would appeal more to the Mel aesthetic group, while watermarks appeal more to Vorthos, who cares about flavor.

Tunoku

Won a Marsh Flats at a Modern event today with Mardu Burn. I don't like the deck, but ran hot. Actually managed to win my last match against Eldrazi Tron with Rakdos charm dealing them 2 damage due to Batterskull and Endbringer on the board.

(I also resolved a Painful Truths for full value once, which was sweet.)

Santiako

Let's do some last minute predictions por the PT (starts in an hour and a half):

Most played card (nonland) in the top 8:
Most played creature in the top 8:
Most played planeswalker in the top 8:
Colour with most cards in the top8:
Number of Nicol Bolas in the top 8:
Any Hour of Devastation gods in the top 8 (if yes which one):
Winning deck colours:

Joe Molotov

Most played card (nonbasic) in the top 8: Abrade
Most played creature in the top 8: Earthshaker Khenra
Most played planeswalker in the top 8: Chandra, Torch of Defiance
Colour with most cards in the top8: Red
Number of Nicol Bolas in the top 8: 0
Any Hour of Devastation gods in the top 8 (if yes which one): No
Winning deck colours: Red

Let's go!

Santiako

I'll say:

Most played card (nonland) in the top 8: Abrade
Most played creature in the top 8: Longtusk Cub
Most played planeswalker in the top 8: Chandra, ToD
Number of Nicol Bolas in the top 8: 1
Any Hour of Devastation gods in the top 8 (if yes which one): No (Scarab God is the most likely one to appear though)
Winning deck colours: GB

red and abrade for that matter just have the most overlap across decks it's just the safest bet. Thraben inspector could eke it out as it is similarily popular in meta decks.

I think a monument deck is going to take it all, I also hope so, and I also cover a gifts variant.

Ashodin

Most played card (nonland) in the top 8: Negate
Most played creature in the top 8: Thraben Inspector
Number of Nicol Bolas in the top 8: 2
Any Hour of Devastation gods in the top 8 (if yes which one): The Scarab God
Winning deck colours: UW

I think a monument deck is going to take it all
I like the way you think.

Tunoku

Let's do some last minute predictions por the PT (starts in an hour and a half):

Most played card (nonland) in the top 8: Abrade
Most played creature in the top 8: Earthshaker Khenra
Any Hour of Devastation gods in the top 8 (if yes which one): No
Winning deck colours: Red and Red

giphy.gif

EDIT: Just real quick for fun, my top 8:

Alexander Hayne
Matt Nass
Paul Rietzl
Lukas Blohon
William Jensen
Yuuya Watanabe
Pascal Maynard
Brad Nelson

Didn't much thought into it, but it'd be a rad top 8 to watch.

alternade

Most played card (nonland) in the top 8: Hour of Devastation
Most played creature in the top 8: Ammit Eternal
Most played planeswalker in the top 8: Gideon?
Colour with most cards in the top8: Blue
Any Hour of Devastation gods in the top 8 (if yes which one): Locus God
Winning deck colours: UR

I think this will be the least Green ProTour ever. What in green is even good enough to run?

Santiako

I think this will be the least Green ProTour ever. What in green is even good enough to run?

I put GB as the winning deck because I think someone will find the antimeta deck that sees play in the PT and never again that destroys monored (which I think is going to be the most played deck and current deck to beat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom