• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Bizzquik

Amazon sent me an entire new, unopened system. It was packaged one thousand times better than my original too. The new console even had another set of coupon codes I could use.

As for sending everything back I did it just in case. The rep I was talking to asked me to confirm if I was sending everything back and I said yeah I assumed I had to, but the rep never mentioned that I had to. I would do it just so there's no complications.

Thanks for the reply.

Generic follow-up question: Do Sony and Amazon keep track of the serial numbers on these units?

I ask because I've kind of put myself in a pickle - My Amazon replacement console comes tomorrow, but I already shipped the malfunctioning unit to Sony. LoL. So I could use the Amazon replacement console over the weekend, then ship Amazon the fixed/replaced console from Sony - unless these places are tracking the serial numbers, then I'd be screwed over by Amazon because the serial numbers didn't match....

Calibus

Thanks for the reply.

Generic follow-up question: Do Sony and Amazon keep track of the serial numbers on these units?

I ask because I've kind of put myself in a pickle - My Amazon replacement console comes tomorrow, but I already shipped the malfunctioning unit to Sony. LoL. So I could use the Amazon replacement console over the weekend, then ship Amazon the fixed/replaced console from Sony - unless these places are tracking the serial numbers, then I'd be screwed over by Amazon because the serial numbers didn't match....

They must because part of the set up process for returning mine to Sony was them asking me for the S/N.

EDIT: Or to be more specific, Sony must track them, not sure about Amazon.

Bizzquik

They must because part of the set up process for returning mine to Sony was them asking me for the S/N.

EDIT: Or to be more specific, Sony must track them, not sure about Amazon.

Thanks for the tip. I thought I should see what I could work out with Amazon....

Me: Can I return to Amazon the PS4 repaired/replaced unit from Sony when it arrives late next week/early December....and keep the replacement unit that Amazon is sending me?

Me: If the PS4 unit I return to you has a different serial number, does that matter? I mean, Sony might REPLACE my console entirely. Or they might try to fix it.

Amazon: No that will not be any problem, you can just return the item. I'll leave the notes in your account regarding this.

Me: Great! So I'll just use the unit you are sending me and return the unit that Sony sends to me when they (eventually) get it to me later.

Kunan

Here's a few software issues that made me worry I had a hardware issue, but were fixed with some wiggling around. I had these crashes the first day:

After first setting the screen region for my first game, it crashed. It consistently crashed on re-boot up after sending the report and loading the home menu. Solved by shutting down instead of pressing ok on the next screen (where it asks to enable controller).

Crashed trying to connect to PSN after changing internet settings, right after clicking my user. It consistently crashed on re-boot up after sending the report and loading the home menu. I clicked create guest, which had no network enabled, then switched to my main account.

Both seemed to be PSN issues as they happened when the controller battery life appeared in the top right. Both crash loops were broken by the steps I took above. I haven't had any more problems since that first half hour or so, but man those times were tough. Just try and think outside the box and you can escape some of the OS-level issues related to what appear to be PSN timeouts.

So I had been getting some audio problems (using optical from PS4 to receiver). First it was Warframe, so I attributed it to the game where my sound starts to cut off and eventually dies..... Today it happened on 2K14, and I continued playing and like 10 min later, the sound returned. Then it happened again on the same game, and I switched from Optical to HDMI and the problem was solved.... Also, my Blu ray drive is VERY loud (PS3 level loud!!)..... shall I request a box from Sony? :/

CF22

I'm having trouble connecting my iOS devices to the PS4 using the PlayStation app. They're all on the same network but they all say "No PS4 found". I tried deleting the app and reinstalling and deleting the connection from the PS4 and connecting again and nothing.

They worked fine the first day but I deleted the devices from the PS4, now I can't reconnect. Anybody know of a fix for this?

Aspiring

WTF, how did everyone get the $60 credit but me??

No idea but I did order a bundle if that helps?

So disappointed though. Seeing this thread I knew the risks but it doesn't help soften the blow. Anyway my amazon order is already shipping now so hopefully it ships very soon. I need to play this console : (

erawsd

Amazon sent me an entire new, unopened system. It was packaged one thousand times better than my original too. The new console even had another set of coupon codes I could use.

As for sending everything back I did it just in case. The rep I was talking to asked me to confirm if I was sending everything back and I said yeah I assumed I had to, but the rep never mentioned that I had to. I would do it just so there's no complications.

Yeah they're def expecting you to send the old one. This is the email I got:

Hello,

We're writing about your order, No. xxxxxxxxxxxxx. You'll need to return the items to avoid the charges, detailed below, to your payment instrument.

Details:

1 PlayStation 4: Launch Edition
Due Date: Dec 27, 2013
Charge Amount: $399.96
Shipping Amount: $0.00
Tax: $0.00

Shinjiru

I got my replacement console from Amazon today. It's been running for about 7 hours and the fan is indeed quieter. I've only tried the disc version of Knack because that's the game that seemed to be the loudest on my first PS4. If I turn off all the sound in the room I can still hear it from where I sit, but it definitely doesn't get as loud as the other PS4 did. When I'm playing Knack it sounds pretty much like my launch PS3 does while idle on the XMB. The first PS4 sounded like the PS3 while playing The Last of Us. I will try the disc versions of Battlefield and Killzone tomorrow. The console was also packed much better this time with a ton of bubble wrap.

Edit: Just adding that I've only run both consoles in the vertical position with the Rocketfish stand.

Different ports put out different levels of electricity. Ports designed for phones, in general, aren't capable of charging things like an iPad, or maybe a DS4. Try moving the same cable to a new power source and see if it works. If so, it's the power source.
My Monster Power HDP-2500 USB ports have a maximum draw of 1 Amps. I could not find any technical specifications on the maximum power draw of the PS4's USB 3.0 ports. However, looking at the technical specs of the USB 3.0 standard, it looks like the maximum power draw is 5 A, though in practice 1.5 A is the highest used in the real world. Cross-referencing that against the DS4's technical specifications, the Input Power Rating is 800mA. Theoretically, my power conditioner should still be able to charge the controller.

Has anyone tried charging the DS4 in outlets that are not attached to a PC or the DS4? What devices are those and what have been the results?

I'd like to preface by saying that Amazon's shipped me two replacements (must have been from all my pestering):
RnrJepw.png

In any case...what do you think the odds are of me getting two shit consoles in a row? 'cause...I have. First one had the extremely loud fan problem, and, well...this one has the exact same problem + a terribile wifi connection problem. Wtf is going on...
Here's hoping the one I get in today isn't problematic...

sixamp

I'm sending mine back to amazon for a full refund.

since setting it up it just felt sluggish.and occasionally it wouldn't turn on just blink blue. Last night I turned it on and it was blinking blue, I turned it off and back on.and it blinked blue, turned it off and back on and it started up normally. Then while on the xmb it locked up and the ps4 blinked white, then yellow and it shut down. I tried turning it back on and it wouldn't turn on. I waited about an hour and it turned on but was sluggish in the menus ,like running slow.

the ps4 came from amazon and it was packaged completely. Surrounded by the bubble wrap and then the box was filled with more bubble stuff. There's no way its caused due to poor packaging

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to preface by saying that Amazon's shipped me two replacements (must have been from all my pestering):
RnrJepw.png

You're killing me here man. I've still not got Amazon to send me a replacement yet. They already charged me on Wednesday for a new one(charged me because I had originally been refunded) but I've not heard shit since. I'll have to try again today to get more information. This has been such a terrible launch for me. If I actually get a 2nd dead system I think I'll just spontaneously combust!

Apoc87

Banned
I tried to redeem a Shadow Pack preorder bonus code for Killzone Shadow Fall on the webstore, and theres no way to send the stuff to my ps4 through the download list.

I called Gamestop and got another code, and tried to redeem it directly on my PS4, and it wouldn't let me download the content because "that content has already been downloaded" (note it's not the same message I would get as if the code was already redeemed)

Anyone else had trouble like this?

You're killing me here man. I've still not got Amazon to send me a replacement yet. They already charged me on Wednesday for a new one(charged me because I had originally been refunded) but I've not heard shit since. I'll have to try again today to get more information. This has been such a terrible launch for me. If I actually get a 2nd dead system I think I'll just spontaneously combust!

I feel your plight dude. Not to sound like that turd customer, but you really do have to "not take no for an answer" (as a previous poster so eloquently put it). The one I received yesterday was from me really putting pressure on Amazon...I'm thinking the one that comes in today was from me having had been put on that mythical "list" they were putting people on (for Sony to replace).

But yeah, it certainly is taking some measure of self-control for me to keep from exploding. Fuckin' unreal.

gembel

i need some help please...

when i plug the HDMI into my Pioneer receiver i get sound only no picture..

but when i plug the HDMI straight into the TV, i can get picture and sound...

how do i make it work with my receiver..? my ps3 is fine with the receiver

Tonguer

Was ready to box my PS4 (with bad drive) today and return to Amazon. I got my RMA tag on Monday for return (they were still on the 'no stock for exchanges' line). Really didn't want the hassle of finding a new one to buy, that's why I preordered...

Decided to call Sony this morning. Took about 8mins elapsed from picking up the phone. Cross ship box will be here tomorrow, as soon as they receive, they will ship a new (not repaired, not refurbished) console as replacement. So glad I called! Quick, polite, apologetic, friendly, and no questions or pushback at all.

Class Act, Sony. That's how you keep happy customers. You did then try to up sell your protection plan, but I can overlook that.

Amazon already refunded me, so I just have to let them know to re-bill me (probably after I receive/confirm replacement), and I should be all set.

Hey folks,

I have been trying to connect my PS4 to Facebook, but I just can't seem to figure it out. My google-fu is strong, but all I get are a bunch of news articles and fluff when I try to search this problem.

Whenever I try to log in with my Facebook credentials, I get an error message. I've tried over and over for the past few days, and it never works. I've tried going into Facebook and generating an app-specific code, but that doesn't work either.

Has anyone had any luck connecting their console in this way? Twitch streaming seems to work fine.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hey folks,

I have been trying to connect my PS4 to Facebook, but I just can't seem to figure it out. My google-fu is strong, but all I get are a bunch of news articles and fluff when I try to search this problem.

Whenever I try to log in with my Facebook credentials, I get an error message. I've tried over and over for the past few days, and it never works. I've tried going into Facebook and generating an app-specific code, but that doesn't work either.

Has anyone had any luck connecting their console in this way? Twitch streaming seems to work fine.

No issues with Facebook connect here. They even fixed a bug in the new firmware that would not update your FB profile pic correctly.

War Eagle

RnrJepw.png

In any case...what do you think the odds are of me getting two shit consoles in a row? 'cause...I have. First one had the extremely loud fan problem, and, well...this one has the exact same problem + a terribile wifi connection problem. Wtf is going on...
Here's hoping the one I get in today isn't problematic...

Same thing happened to me! I am selling the second one to my roommate/best friend at cost. Do you think Amazon is going to charge me for two PS4s because of their mistake?

the_id

Has firmware 1.51 stabilisied all the software issues causing some of the crashes? What's GAFs consensus of the update?

Well what do you know, my Amazon ps4 is not working, I received it earlier this week but didnt open up until today, turns on then off a couple of minutes later with three beeps, how should I go about this, Amazon or Sony?

Oh Im in NYC and can get to Sony store, should I try them also?

update: contacted Amazon via chat and they will be sending me a new ps4, arriving Monday, I contacted Sony before Amazon and they overnighted me a coffin but Ill go the Amazon route.

Atomsky

Banned
I mentioned in an earlier post that PS4 didn't recognize two of my USB disks correctly and that prevented me from updating the system or copying game saves.

It turns out that PS4 doesn't support USB disks using MBR (master boot record) very well. After partitioning the USB disk using GPT (GUID partitaion table), the PS4 is now able to copy game saves to my USB disk (before it would show "USB device is locked.").

However when trying to update the system with the improved USB disk, it still didn't work. The system prompted something like failed to detect USB device. Maybe the safe mode is using a minimal set of driver that still doesn't support all the USB disks very well.

On a side note, PS4 uses GPT for its own internal HDD. Maybe they simply didn't implement MBR support well after all.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Question to people that have received their Amazon replacement: What did they send you?

Did Amazon just send you a new console unit in a generic box (like Sony is doing with their "coffins")? Or did Amazon send you everything (new console with cords, controller, manual, boxing, etc)?

And what do you have to send back to Amazon? (Just the malfunctioning PS4, or the malfunctioning PS4, controller, cords, and manual, etc...?)

Thanks in advance, from a fellow Amazon BLoD sufferer.

Got a new system in a sealed normal retail ps4 box. I have to return the whole box and broken system back to amazon or they will charge me

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Need opinions:

The only problem, and I mean ONLY problem, I've had since launch is with Assassin's Creed IV. At almost exactly 30 minutes of gameplay, it crashes and asks me to send a report in. Fire it up, I can play for 30 minutes, crashes again. Over and over.

I tried rebuilding the database in Safe Mode. I tried reinstalling the patch. I deleted my local save and redownloaded it from the cloud. I deleted the install, let it install again. None of these things fixed it.

Opinion time. Does this warrant sending it back? Two things I haven't tried yet: 1) starting the game over on a new save, and 2) upgrading the hard drive.

I have five other launch games with dozen of hours easily and no crashes in any of them.

Joeki11a

Banned
You know the PS4 safe mode needs more features, Files System Check for example

that one on PS3 safemode does a great check up for issues on the HDD

since Ps4 is basically games off the HDD it should had been there

Just got my PS4 and went through the initial setup, then the screen started flickering and the system shut down. I can't even boot into safe mode. Gotta call Sony or Amazon now, which one would be a better choice? The thing is, I live in Japan so I don't know how customer service works overseas.

Edit-

what firmware? 1.00, or whatever the stock one is
purchased from where? Amazon.com
what is your A/V set up like? HMDI to a 24" BENQ monitor
what resolution do you want to output in? 1080p
were you able to get any video signal or none at all? Yes, was able to go through initial setup and get to the main menu
can you hear audio? Yes

Unable to boot into safe mode, when the PS4 is completely off, I press and hold the power button until I hear the second beep. The blue light flashes a couple times, then goes out.
The PS4 was manufactured in Hongfujin Yantai China August 2013.

Double edit- On Live chat with Sony customer support now, we'll see how this goes.

delta25

Banned
Gaf I'm at a bit of a crossroad in terms of what I should do. From what I can gather the PS4' fan can become rather audible at times, in my case its noticeable and a bit distracting but not anywhere near jet engine levels, and as it stands the vast majority of PS4 owners have all experienced this at different times when using the system.
My concern is from the few who have reported that their systems are super quite and without any noticeable noise levels from the fan, do these people just have a different idea on what would be considered loud and of any concern and the rest of us are over-reacting?

Should I take my chances and send mine into Sony and either get one that is better, the same or even worse.

Marven

So is sony doing Saturday delivery for replacements? I got my box Tuesday, shipped it out Wednesday, I was expecting it today (Friday).

No idea and I'm in the same boat: Got my box Tuesday, shipped it out Tuesday, and Sony received it Wednesday. I'm assuming they are still shipping through FedEx, which should deliver on Saturday.

Just got off live chat Sony customer support. Apparently my system is a brick and I have to send it in. Unfortunately, I live in Japan and Sony will not send me a box to I can send the bricked PS4 directly to Sony America. The guy said I would have to send the system to someone in America, Sony would send the coffin to them, then that person would send the system to Sony. Once the system is repaired or replaced, the shipping proccess would be the same but in the opposite order. What this means is I need a third party, and the customer service guy told me that Sony would not pay the shipping fees for me to send the system to them and for the third party to send the system back to me. This sucks, and I will just contact Amazon for a refund now. All just because I live outside the US. Boo.

Darkener2

I have 1.51 but I can't get 5.1 to output to my home theater system. I only get sound out of my center channel, left and right, and nothing from the back. I do get it if I am using my PS3, tivo or even Xbone. I also had it lockup a couple times when I boot up the system at the heath warning screen. So I don't know if I should factory restore it or try and get a replacement from amazon

IISANDERII

I would like to use the microphone but I want everything outputted to my television audio, including the voice chat. Is this possible?

Angelcurio

I set up my audio equipment on my PS4 yesterday, but since i only have one optical cable, i had to to disconnect it from the PS4 again to use it on my PS3, but before doing so I switched the audio output setting to output sound via HDMI, yet the PS4 kept sending the audio signal through both the optical cable (my equipment) and the HDMI (my TV). Is that a bug or something?

Silurus

i need some help please...

when i plug the HDMI into my Pioneer receiver i get sound only no picture..

but when i plug the HDMI straight into the TV, i can get picture and sound...

how do i make it work with my receiver..? my ps3 is fine with the receiver

Must be an older receiver with older version of HDMI.

Only thing you can do is hope a future firmware update sorts it.

So sony is not doing saturday delivery.

" As our service center has been getting a little backed up with theses consoles and we do have a limited number of technicians it's been getting a bit hectic over there. However, I can assure you our service center is working as hard as possible to get your console to you it may take 1-2 days to get the console picked up from our service center. This is still overnighted to you though, you should be receiving your console by end of day Monday or Tuesday. "

They wont even extend my warranty or give me some kind of psn plus extension.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got my replacement from Amazon today and it's currently downloading the update so it looks like everything is good to go this time. Little over a week but I believe I've finally made to the next gen GAF!

Top Bottom