• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scar and Mufasa weren't actually related?!

Cheerilee

My only guess besides "hur dur realism" is so they can additionally retcon Kovu into being Scar's son.

That's doubtful, since the people saying it (the original Lion King's director and producer) had nothing to do with Kovu. The Lion King 2 (which introduced Kovu) had different writers, different directors, different producers, and was animated by Disney's B-team direct-to-video studio (rather than their A-team or Pixar). And neither group has anything to do with the new cartoon, which is being made by a third group up in Canada.

StoneFox

That's doubtful, since the people saying it (the original Lion King's director and producer) had nothing to do with Kovu. The Lion King 2 (which introduced Kovu) had different writers, different directors, different producers, and was animated by Disney's B-team direct-to-video studio (rather than their A-team or Pixar). And neither group has anything to do with the new cartoon, which is being made by a third group up in Canada.

Yes I know this but that doesn't mean they can't. :p

Korey

From The Lion King:

Scar: Why! If it isn't my big brother descending from on high to mingle with the commoners.

Scar: Well, as far as brains go, I got the lion's share. But, when it comes to brute strength...I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool.

Scar: Must have slipped my mind.
Zazu: Yes, well, as slippery as your mind is, as the king's brother, you should have been first in line!
Scar: Well, I was first in line... until the little hairball was born.

Simba: Hey Uncle Scar! Guess what!

Simba: Hey, Uncle Scar? When I'm king, what'll that make you?
Scar: A monkey's uncle.

Simba: Come on, Uncle Scar.

Scar: Simba, Simba, I'm only looking out for the well-being of my favorite nephew.
Simba: Yeah, right, I'm your only nephew.

Simba: Hey, Uncle Scar, will I like the surprise?

Mufasa: Scar! Brother! Help me!

Nala: Scar.
Pumbaa: Who's got a scar?
Nala: No, no, no. It's his uncle.
Timon: The monkey's his uncle?
Nala: No! Simba's gone back to challenge his uncle to take his place as king.
Timon and Pumbaa: Ohhh.

Timon: Uh. We're going to fight your uncle... for this?

Scar: Oh, must it all end in violence? I'd hate to be responsible for the death of a family member. Wouldn't you agree, Simba?

Simba: You don't deserve to live.
Scar: But, Simba, I am...ah...family.

Scar: What are you going to do? You wouldn't kill your own Uncle?​

One can always argue that movies aren't made by a single writer or director, and that if it was not made implicit during production, then they are still brothers if the actors, animators, and everyone else treated them as so.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In East Asian cultures it's a matter of course to refer to any family friend from your parents' generation as "uncle", and close friends of your generation as "brother". It happens in Western cultures too though, to a lesser extent, usually between kids and adults.

As for the gene pool comment, I thought about it again and it's an assumption on our part that the gene pool he's referring to is shared (that is, from the same family). It is perfectly accurate, even if misleading, if he's referring to 'gene pool' in the general.

LProtag

They're all suffering from some delusions that they made these decisions and didn't just base the character off of Claudius because the entire movie is Hamlet.

Haly

It would be _definitive_ proof of shared parentage if they ever referred to their parents as the same lions but they never do, so there is a degree of ambiguity there.

Korey

In East Asian cultures it's a matter of course to refer to any family friend from your parents' generation as "uncle", and close friends of your generation as "brother". It happens in Western cultures too though, to a lesser extent, usually between kids and adults.

As for the gene pool comment, I thought about it again and it's an assumption on our part that the gene pool he's referring to is shared (that is, from the same family). It is perfectly accurate, even if misleading, if he's referring to 'gene pool' in the general.

It's not "an assumption on our part", it's how language works. Nobody in Western society uses that gene comparison unless they're talking about their sibling.

Add that to all the MANY brother/nephew/uncle/family references (from both the family members themselves and third parties talking about them when they're not even there) and there's no way it's about Scar being a "family friend."

Big-E

You are really reaching to dismiss what is actually said.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Next you'll tell me is that all the animals of the Savannah don't come together for the birth of the next lion prince.

Big-E

Biologists.

The Pride Lands were full of biologists. Also Scar didn't kill Mufasa, we see him do it, he says he kills Mufasa to Simba, but really it was the fall that killed him and he probably would have fell anyway so we can say that gravity was the murderer. Stop reaching.

Next you'll tell me is that all the animals of the Savannah don't come together for the birth of the next lion prince.

giphy.gif

Folks be getting wild..

beril

The whole Lion King being based on Hamlet thing gets so exaggerated and is mostly bullshit.

The uncle killing the king and usurping the throne is really the only plot point they share, and in Hamlet that doesn't even happen in the play

When are they going to do the MacBeth Lion King?

:D

I'd watch it.
tbh The Lion King has as much in common with Macbeth as-is than Hamlet, if not more.

The whole Lion King being based on Hamlet thing gets so exaggerated and is mostly bullshit.

The uncle killing the king and usurping the throne is really the only plot point they share, and in Hamlet that doesn't even happen in the play
This isn't backed up by anything concrete but I'm pretty sure the whole "It's Hamlet with lions!" angle was concocted after Disney couldn't secure the rights to Kimba the White Lion after the film was already in production, so they just changed Kimba to Simba and ran with the Hamlet connection.

Scar: Well, as far as brains go, I got the lion's share. But, when it comes to brute strength...I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool.

...I know this is an animated movie and everything, but how would lions know what a gene is and how it works?

Why is this bothering me so much

Haly

...I know this is an animated movie and everything, but how would lions know what a gene is and how it works?

Why is this bothering me so much

Hey you know what got on my nerves?

In Lion King 2 Zira sings about flying a flag. I was a kid when I watched it but I thought "wait lions don't have flags".

Haly

I saw a far more traumatizing "interpretation" of Cars biology but I can't find it. Basically it is a grossly deformed human with the car frame around it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't watch the show, but I do know that Simba's son has a roar that summons the power of previous kings and they all show up in the clouds like Mufasa to roar with him.

The roar is so powerful it uproots trees and sends them flying...so yeah, superpowers.

Aaaaaaaaah, so it's anime now.

Top Bottom