• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the only reason I own the current Wii Zapper. Link's Shooting Gallery. So sad.
(and I still hate that tomb level late in the game. So difficult!)

I bought the zapper only off ebay,,,just to play Goldeneye,,,amazing game with the zapper and probably the only one worth try it with ;)

Didn't he say that it wasn't a hardware feature?

(I honestly don't remember -- my memory is pretty crap)
no I think he said it wasn't an added feature like haptics or something, don't think he meant stuff like sticks changing and all that. He said significant changes, but no new features. Come to think of it I don't know what that means.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
IdeaMan, now that someone else has said they're in, had you heard anything about clicky sticks?

I've touched upon DRC modifications in thread 4 ("significant changes", etc.).

What i've heard doesn't involve clicky sticks

So if the info is real in the end, it will be another alteration from the controller shown at E3 2011 (and subsequent showrooms, rayman leaks, etc.) added to a rather long list.

no I think he said it wasn't an added feature like haptics or something, don't think he meant stuff like sticks changing and all that. He said significant changes, but no new features. Come to think of it I don't know what that means.

I took it to mean the shape of the controller/screen. A slight modification as pretty much every Nintendo controller/console has seen from unveiling to launch.

Was going through some of the newly published Nintendo patent applications and bumped into the "new" gun-shell design.

At first glance it seemed only the shell's design changed but then I noticed the "built-in nunhuck"...... with what it seems an extra button!?

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?
looks to spooky..my 90$ pad will not be on that star trek.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
What i've heard doesn't involve clicky sticks

So if the info is real in the end, it will be another alteration from the controller shown at E3 2011 (and subsequent showrooms, rayman leaks, etc.) added to a rather long list.
...well, yeah.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
yeah I'm curious if that was part of the info he was saving

Fortunately, no.

But i'm always worried of the event than someone will reveal what i've left.

Well, i've said nearly all that i know to someone, so at worst case, he will be able to declare here "hey, IdeaMan told me this 4 weeks ago !", to make the rest of the people doubting me forced to buy me their weight in chocolate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Fortunately, no.

Well, i've said nearly all that i know to someone, so at worst case, he will be able to declare here "hey, IdeaMan told me this 4 weeks ago !", to make the rest of the people doubting me forced to buy me some their weight in chocolate.

Simple solution: Tell us now :p

I kid, I kid.

Fortunately, no.

Well, i've said nearly all that i know to someone, so at worst case, he will be able to declare here "hey, IdeaMan told me this 4 weeks ago !", to make the rest of the people doubting me forced to buy me some their weight in chocolate.
good good, now out with it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Fortunately, no.

Why are you so irritated by people doubting you?

Nilaul

Now imagine if the next Zelda does take part in the future.

You traverse the world, in all its splender, super-tall skyscrapers, sky-ways.
Then somewhere halfway during the game you hear a voice of a the goddess, link you must hurry now! please!" A time of 5 minutes pops-up, and then when the timer finishes and epic firework of massive nuclear explosions happen everywhere while the camera pans around link. There also flash scenes showing whats happening around Hyrule: a mother trying to rescue her son, a city being bombed etc.

Another more sinister evil voice speaks to link this time,"Boy, did you really think you could stop me this time? I wield the power of the gods *Evil laugh*".
Link turns into stone, 100 years latter the goddess manages to awake him with the reminder of her power and thus begins the 2nd part of the game in a post apocalyptic setting.

From the patent:

[0091] The system LSI 11 includes an input/output processor (I/O processor) 11a, a GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) 11b, a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) 11c, a VRAM (Video RAM) 11d, and the internal main memory 11e. Although not shown in the figures, these components 11a to 11e are connected with each other through an internal bus.

Does this mean that all of these components (system memory included) are on one massive chip?

volpone

Banned
A bunch of the reactions here are specifically from people who have found the clickystick experience to be awkward or uncomfortable on their other systems. So yes, they did own 360s/PS3s.

If this were the case then such seldom-heard issues with clickysticks i.e. clicking them by accident, would be rendered negligible as the user becomes habituated with the nuances of these controllers. I personally have never had a problem with them and have never heard such concerns from firends and family. Many genres outside of shooters do not use the clicking function of the sticks so I fail to sympathise with how this could be a serious concern and rather something more pedantic on the naysayers part.

I just can't imagine why anyone would prefer slide pads, which have less functionality and are clumsier to use, than clickysticks. Especially when the 360's controller, whose sticks require moderate pressure to be activated allowing little room for mistaken presses, is essentially the natural evolution of the Gamecube's. Surely if Nintendo has to step back from pursuing their motion-controlled, utopian future and return to a standard form of input that appeases third parties and consumers alike then we, the core fans, would all prefer something familiar that is tried and tested.

Actually while I'm on the subject I also hope the right stick on the Upad is now under the abxy buttons and their positions on the controller are more ergonomical than they were before. Thumbs move in arcs naturally. Surely Nintendo isn't thrusting the claw method on us.

HylianTom

Banned
Now imagine if the next Zelda does take part in the future.

You traverse the world, in all its splender, super-tall skyscrapers, sky-ways.
Then somewhere halfway during the game you hear a voice of a the goddess, link you must hurry now! please!" A time of 5 minutes pops-up, and then when the timer finishes and epic firework of massive nuclear explosions happen everywhere... Another more sinister evil voice speaks to link this time,"Boy, did you really think you could stop me this time? I wield the power of the gods *Evil laugh*".
Link turns into stone, 100 years latter the goddess manages to awake him with the reminder of her power and thus begins the 2nd part of the game in a post apocalyptic setting.
There was one element of Skyward Sword that had me reconsidering my closed-mindedness on the issue of Zelda's setting. Such an eye-opener..

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Why are you so irritated by people doubting you?

For 2 months, i wrote maybe 1 or 2 messages of justification, i didn't care.

Now, after all the material i posted, the time that i dedicated + my efforts to legitimate my info through lherre + the important matter: all the hassle and work to gather the data, i must admit that it's annoying (not irritating) to always see 1 or 2 posts doubting, sometimes not very politely, the info when i reveal it.

But time will tell, the E3 is close :)

Nilaul

Fortunately, no.

Well, i've said nearly all that i know to someone, so at worst case, he will be able to declare here "hey, IdeaMan told me this 4 weeks ago !", to make the rest of the people doubting me forced to buy me their weight in chocolate.

However even if he didn't mention you; now that you said that you revealed all you know to someone through PM they will look at the remote possibly of you telling him.

Taker666

Was going through some of the newly published Nintendo patent applications and bumped into the "new" gun-shell design.

At first glance it seemed only the shell's design changed but then I noticed the "built-in nunhuck"...... with what it seems an extra button!?

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?

It seemed to go unnoticed at the time...

....but the Wii U Zapper in the original E3 reveal trailer actually seemed to have the nunchuk built in (and possibly the camera/pointer)-

Ov0Ys.jpg

I suspect the extra button will be used to reload for the most part...although it's odd they only have it on one design (extra buttons will certainly be needed if they intend for the new Zapper to become a staple control system for FPS games).

Nilaul

There was one element of Skyward Sword that had me reconsidering my closed-mindedness on the issue of Zelda's setting. Such an eye-opener..

The fact that there used to be an allmighty cilivization more advanced then ours before the events of skyward?

Soo... a futuristic Zelda can happen both in future and way way way back in the past.

BurntPork

Banned

ghfv3kud.jpg

Old?

It's the muffin button. VINDICATION

From the patent:

Does this mean that all of these components (system memory included) are on one massive chip?

SoC? I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
For 2 months, i wrote maybe 1 or 2 messages of justification, i didn't care.

Now, after all the material i posted, the time that i dedicated + my efforts to legitimate my info through lherre + the important matter: all the hassle and work to gather the data, i must admit that it's annoying (not irritating) to always see 1 or 2 posts doubting with harsh words the info when i reveal it.

But time will tell, the E3 is close :)
It's only natural that people will doubt you when your posts are so vague and you do so much teasing. You say you're doing it to drum up hype, but look at the bomb John Harker just dropped and the reaction to it. I don't think his upfrontness is spoiling any fun.

HylianTom

Banned
The fact that there used to be an allmighty cilivization more advanced then ours before the events of skyward?

Soo... a futuristic Zelda can happen both in future and way way way back in the past.
Yup! I loved loved loved that mechanic. And the designers didn't take things too far-afield with the concept.

I'd love a Zelda mechanic using the uPad as a spyglass-of-sorts..

I thought you meant the very first thread of GAF.

Haha. No just the WUST threads.

Huh? Do you mean early/late games on the system?

No sir. Games that don't use the GPUs "special features" are stage one. Games that use the "special features" are stage two.

the thumb sticks are clickable

Crap. I got my John ____-ers crossed up.

Tell me if the eDRAM increased.

Since its never been done, than not having a subtitle is as good as having one no? :p

He pulled a combo breaker on tradition, but it's all good. :)

guys do you remember "Aries" who "leaked" Revolution enough before E3 ,,,,,that was a fun time wasn't it ? :p

looking at you IdeaMan lol XD

Nilaul

Yup! I loved loved loved that mechanic. And the designers didn't take things too far-afield with the concept.

I'd love a Zelda mechanic using the uPad as a spyglass-of-sorts..

The xenoblode guys can easily pull this off; two different epic worlds being shown to you at once.

SoC? I'm not sure how I feel about that...

It was expected for the GPU to be an SoC including the DSP and ARM I/O processor. But if the eDRAM and system memory (I'd assume DDR3) are on there too and it's not a MCM ala Xenos and Hollywood...well, it'd be a hell of a design. Most likely massive bandwidth on the eDRAM especially (better than Xenos).

guek

Banned
guys do you remember "Aries" who "leaked" Revolution enough before E3 ,,,,,that was a fun time wasn't it ? :p

looking at you IdeaMan lol XD

I dunno if any of you were ever posted on the Penny Arcade forums back in the golden years but there was this guy called Rosebud who spread rumors about Wii and DS...so full of endless shit

test_account

XP-39C²
The click... is pressure sensitive.

Now that would be something.
I dont think that it will be that useful to be honest. The PS2 and PS3 controller have analog buttons, but it was never really used it a game changing way, at least from what i know.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
It's only natural that people will doubt you when your posts are so vague and you do so much teasing. You say you're doing it to drum up hype, but look at the bomb John Harker just dropped and the reaction to it. I don't think his upfrontness is spoiling any fun.

Generalizing by qualifying my posts of "so vague" whereas a lot of them were precise with factual data not subject to interpretations & hints, isn't fair at all. You would be surprised actually if you look at all my messages since 2 months and half.

And it's not a competition you know, everyone that got info reveal it like he wants, we should be happy to have it rather than trying to nitpick this & that and make attempts to dictate the methods & approach of some posters because we prefer the manners of one another. Every posting behavior has its Pros and Cons, 4 words mini-bombs are huge in some parts, unsatisfying for others. The same for different posting style. I try to vary (with some spontaneous messages) but well, you hadn't notice i presume.

Well, i'm tired of this kind of conversation, and it's a pollution for the thread.

I dont think that it will be that useful to be honest. The PS2 and PS3 controller have analog buttons, but it was never really used it a game changing way, at least from what i know.

Only because they had no give! They still felt digital. In order to make sure I was throwing a hard pass in Madden, I'd have to murder the damn thing!

If Nintendo gave the face button just a touch more depth for depression without it being cumbersome for digital use, I'd be intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom