• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

BOTEC

I ended up trying every character in Caladrius. Some quick notes.

- Using the element shots early and often is the key to both survival and scoring. Survival because dealing damage with them builds up your ether gauge (bottom left) to earn chips that let you upgrade (and even re-spec) elemental shots between levels. Scoring because killing enemies with them builds your multiplier. The regular shot has neither of these benefits.
- Some element shots fire your regular shot at the same time. This lets you deal extra damage, but tends to negate the two above benefits of using element shots. Remember which part of the shot is which.
- Don't forget that every character's defensive element shot cancels bullets in some form or other. Some of them are very hard to use, but others are almost foolproof.
- Destroying certain enemies and boss parts makes orange fragments drop. Fill up the middle gauge with nine of these to get a 1up.
- Beat the game with at least two characters to unlock custom element shot loadouts (but to open it up fully you will need to beat the game with every character). Now you get to try to break the game to your heart's content.
- Don't forget to try synchro mode, which lets you play a two-player game where 2P is mirrored and also invulnerable. It's hilariously unbalanced, and also lets you see all the unique dialogue between all two-character combinations (solving what I call the Castle Shikigami problem).

Character choices:
- Maria and Noah are good for beginners due to very effective crowd-clearing attacks. Maria has a powerful frontal shot, but Noah can instantly wipe out whole mobs with a very fast homing laser.
- Alex and Lyris have more power while still having good range, but you need to get up closer to use their most powerful attacks. Lyris has a directional regular shot that's very flexible but basically destroys scoring potential.
- Kei and Sophia are more technical, growth characters that require you to be carefully positioned and max out upgrades to realize their full potential. Kei feels very hard to use because his gauge drains fast. Sophia's gauge drains slowly and has a defensive shot that makes you nearly invincible for basically free.
- Caladrius and Lilith are high-power characters who drain gauge very quickly, with weird shot patterns that are hard to use.

Thanks for this. Despite owning every version of this game, I haven't played any of them long enough to pick up on those nuances. Your first point about element shot especially explains my lack of progress in the game. I've trained myself over the years to never use the bomb/special attack, only the peashooter. So I see how a game built around the special shots is beyond me. I guess it's time to start using that B button.

cj_iwakura

Just came to comment on Caladrius being on GOG, heh. Guess I don't need that PS3 version then...

As an aside: what do you all think about story in shmups? I love a good plot, but the average reply in the Touhou localization thread seemed like 'shmup plots? lol'. (I did a fan translation of a story-driven game, call me biased.)

Just came to comment on Caladrius being on GOG, heh. Guess I don't need that PS3 version then...

As an aside: what do you all think about story in shmups? I love a good plot, but the average reply in the Touhou localization thread seemed like 'shmup plots? lol'. (I did a fan translation of a story-driven game, call me biased.)

The reason for "shmup plots lol" is because most shmup plots are a pair of character portraits expositioning endlessly about made-up jargon and things that happened off-screen. This is a terrible way to tell a story, but this is a genre where nobody wants actual cutscenes.

I mean, that's why Castle Shikigami's plot is incomprehensible even when you translate it properly.

The problem is this temptation to staple a bundle of backstory to games entirely about shooting down enemies, which just means that none of the story can actually happen during the levels. Look at Sine Mora for an example of how disconnected the story could get from the actual game. Star Fox 64 was maybe the one game that did it right, by keeping the story simple enough that the story could be told during gameplay.

Or look at Espgaluda 2, where Cave actually tried showing important plot moments during the levels and boss fights. Even without dialogue, you could understand the emotional weight of what you were doing.

Thanks for this. Despite owning every version of this game, I haven't played any of them long enough to pick up on those nuances. Your first point about element shot especially explains my lack of progress in the game. I've trained myself over the years to never use the bomb/special attack, only the peashooter. So I see how a game built around the special shots is beyond me. I guess it's time to start using that B button.

To clarify further:

The shots you should use the most are the element shots that are strong enough to kill enemies fast and don't fire the regular shot at the same time. These include Maria's X-button shot, Noah's Y-button shot, Lyris's X-button shot, and Sophia's X and Y-button shots (ideally upgraded). Sophia can earn upgrades faster more consistently due to having two element shots like this.

All of their B-button shots fire their regular shots, so use those just when you need to get through bullets.

Feel free to empty your element shots just before bosses, since everything gets recharged at the start of a boss.

On Evolution mode, take advantage of the Evolution attack to fill your ether gauge even faster using the powered-up element shots. Always try to get multiple Evolution attacks off against bosses, which are usually good for a whole upgrade chip. The exception is Sophia, who recharges too slowly after an Evolution attack.

cj_iwakura

The reason for "shmup plots lol" is because most shmup plots are a pair of character portraits expositioning endlessly about made-up jargon and things that happened off-screen. This is a terrible way to tell a story, but this is a genre where nobody wants actual cutscenes.

I mean, that's why Castle Shikigami's plot is incomprehensible even when you translate it properly.

The problem is this temptation to staple a bundle of backstory to games entirely about shooting down enemies, which just means that none of the story can actually happen during the levels. Look at Sine Mora for an example of how disconnected the story could get from the actual game. Star Fox 64 was maybe the one game that did it right, by keeping the story simple enough that the story could be told during gameplay.

Or look at Espgaluda 2, where Cave actually tried showing important plot moments during the levels and boss fights. Even without dialogue, you could understand the emotional weight of what you were doing.
Well, in Shikigami, they do it so different routes tell you new information. For example, Miyoko and Hiroshi act like psychos in every route... but when you play as Tagami? "Heh, just kidding. Sup?" It's a fascinating storytelling method.

Well, in Shikigami, they do it so different routes tell you new information. For example, Miyoko and Hiroshi act like psychos in every route... but when you play as Tagami? "Heh, just kidding. Sup?" It's a fascinating storytelling method.

I never really got what they were going for until I played Caladrius, which is really the true successor to Castle Shikigami. (As I mentioned further up the page, you even get to just control two characters at the same time to access all the two-player dialogue.)

In Caladrius, there's a specific dynamic between every character and every boss, more or less. There's nothing like in Shikigami where you just get filler dialogue to justify completely unrelated characters fighting.

But still, you have the usual shmup problem where half the story happens in the manual over a couple of pages of text. The average player just gets dumped into a game where you get a ship and take off to fight some unspecified evil because reasons.

Example: the story of every Castle Shikigami starts with a castle appearing in the sky, which freaks out a lot of people. Would it have killed the developers to show so much as a picture of this castle before you start the game to give you an idea of what has gotten all these people so worked up?

PantsuJo

Xydonia team shows another huge enemy. Can't wait to play it.

jkZLcdX.gif

cj_iwakura

^Looks great.

Example: the story of every Castle Shikigami starts with a castle appearing in the sky, which freaks out a lot of people. Would it have killed the developers to show so much as a picture of this castle before you start the game to give you an idea of what has gotten all these people so worked up?

Well, you do it see it in the game... eventually. I find the opening more intriguing, myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pJleL1dagw

And the text only scroll which no one's done a translated video of, lol. About the murders and the investigations.

Shikigami probably had zilch of a budget, so it's hard to get mad at them for cutting to the chase.

Momentary

Banned
The Ketsui DLC for DARIUSBURST...

Stage 3... Go through all that crap then Crimson Nightmare? The Ketsui ship should have had a damn bomb attack or something. I'm so salty right now.

The Delta Sword is the most relaxing ship to use out of the CAVE ships. The 8ing DLC needs to hurry up. I need my Soukyu fix.

anx10us

Banned
Long time lurker, thanks to this thread I now have finally taken the plunge and bought a dedicated Vewlix L 2-player cabinet, I have most of the decent PC shumps and am currently playing Mushimesama, great game and Ultra on Normal provides me with just the challenge I need, however ...

I seem to be suffering from unintended slow-down, specifically I appear to be able to slow the game down by holding down the (single)shot button, this sppears to invoke more slowdown, if I switch to the dedicated auto-fire button I get the same stream of bullets but the slowdown is less pronounced ? It almost feels like i'm cheating by holding the shot button down ? Does this make sense ? Is it intentional or do I have some wierd setup that is causing it ?

SOME-MIST

Long time lurker, thanks to this thread I now have finally taken the plunge and bought a dedicated Vewlix L 2-player cabinet, I have most of the decent PC shumps and am currently playing Mushimesama, great game and Ultra on Normal provides me with just the challenge I need, however ...

I seem to be suffering from unintended slow-down, specifically I appear to be able to slow the game down by holding down the (single)shot button, this sppears to invoke more slowdown, if I switch to the dedicated auto-fire button I get the same stream of bullets but the slowdown is less pronounced ? It almost feels like i'm cheating by holding the shot button down ? Does this make sense ? Is it intentional or do I have some wierd setup that is causing it ?

likely intentional moreso than a hardware issue. the slowdown is built into the game to emulate the PCB slowdown and it's much more pronounced using laser (or focus shot) instead of regular shot. Even though it's a different game, it does the same thing on my mushihimesama futari black label pcb which is very useful for stage 3.

The thing you have to watch out for is when you clear the screen using your method, the slowdown can quickly disappear leading to some fast spreads that will catch you off guard.

hey shooterGAF just cross posting a retro shooter i picked up:

i haven't brought a game in 2 weeks bc of the switch and yakuza 0 coming out but picked this up getting dinner yesterday. it was so pristine the manual had a plastic wrap protecting it.

Fhtagn

Arcade/PS2 Gradius III is so damn brutal.

It'd be fine if it didn't break its own rules sometimes by having enemy bullets pass through walls your bullets can't pass through.

I have a vague sense I read an interview with the devs once that said they built the stages individually and didn't realize how difficult the game was until playing it straight through.

It's great, but a decade ago when a friend of mine and I played this PS2 port of it pretty religiously, we always died around the crystal stage even on a good run.

I still love it but I dunno if I'll ever beat it without save states.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I've a full Cave set (X360) and a full set of the Cave books - i'm toying with the idea of just selling them all off

I know it's probably something i'll regret but... i haven't got the time anymore

The Ketsui DLC for DARIUSBURST...

Stage 3... Go through all that crap then Crimson Nightmare? The Ketsui ship should have had a damn bomb attack or something. I'm so salty right now.

The Delta Sword is the most relaxing ship to use out of the CAVE ships. The 8ing DLC needs to hurry up. I need my Soukyu fix.

Whenever they decide to stop supporting the game, I hope they make it so the DLC ships are usable in CS mode. I think I've only been able to finish a single 3rd stage on any of the DLC packs so far. The conditions are too strict and I don't have fun grinding out attempts on this game when the levels are more than ten minutes long. Being able to use them in CS mode would make them more relaxing to use since you could power them up with spare points, but you'd still have to balance how much you spend. Not sure why they haven't done it yet, honestly. Seems odd to basically double the playable characters but lock them in a single mode, especially barring them from the new mode that would be easier to put them in.

Man, I almost 1CC'd Crimzon Clover (novice original but still) and dropped the ball on the final boss.

This may be my most favorite shmup of all time. Somehow I like it even more than even Dodonpachi itself. It is just so chaotic and eyemeltingly gorgeous.

Momentary

Banned
Was feeling really great about the Battle Garegga DLC on DBCS. Then... G.T.B. showed up and I was crushed my hopes and dreams. I played pretty careless getting up to him and had about 9 shield left. What a depressing encounters. It seems pretty doable. I got used to the blue tracking lasers, If I go in with 20 shield and 4 bombs I might be able to stomp him good.

Anyway. The game isn't a looker, but damn if they don't have some great modelers for some of the ships.

Makes me wish they had a higher budget so that they could give the game a good face lift from it's arcade counterpart.

Today I 1CC'd Vector Strain (Steam) on beginner.

While this vertical shmup very much adheres to KISS (keep it simple stupid!) I find there's much to like about its no-frills approach. It is just a solid shooter that controls quite well enough with a decent variety of ships and nice visuals. Most 3D shooters don't really appeal to me, but I find the aesthetic of this game quite charming. Especially the geometric designs in the bosses and backgrounds. While its not as colorful as other games there is a lot of contrast between the finely textured background, enemies and flickering bullets. Bonus points for having a TATE mode that really lets the visuals shine.

It is a bit rough around the edges in the sound department though. Sound effects are a bit dull and one explosion sound in particular is a bit off. The soundtrack isn't the most fitting to the game either.

Overall I think it's quite a solid shmup if any of you is looking for something a bit simpler.

PantsuJo

Man, I almost 1CC'd Crimzon Clover (novice original but still) and dropped the ball on the final boss.

This may be my most favorite shmup of all time. Somehow I like it even more than even Dodonpachi itself. It is just so chaotic and eyemeltingly gorgeous.
Agree, absolutely awesome game

Something about Eschatos seems frustrating to me. Visually its fantastic and it controls well enough, but the bullets seem harder for me to keep track of than other shmups. A lot of them seem to appear out of the middle of the screen which is kind of frustrating.

I was able to 1CC Novice Boost before I could do Novice Original. If you haven't tried that, you may want to give it a shot.

Does anyone else have the Ultimate Shooting Collection for Wii? I have it sitting around and got the urge for a shmup. What's the best game in there? Karous, Radirgy and Chaos Field.

BOTEC

Does anyone else have the Ultimate Shooting Collection for Wii? I have it sitting around and got the urge for a shmup. What's the best game in there? Karous, Radirgy and Chaos Field.

Oh boy, now here's s loaded question. If you're unfamiliar with Milestone's "unique" brand of output, I would recommend Radirgy. It seems like the simplest to pick up and play.

I was able to 1CC Novice Boost before I could do Novice Original. If you haven't tried that, you may want to give it a shot.

I actually 1CC'd Novice Original yesterday! The last stage up to the final boss was an absolute rush even on Novice.

And yeah, Boost does seem like it would be easier since you are in Break mode much of the time.

BOTEC

Haha...hmm. Fair enough. Totally not familiar. Can you elaborate?

It's all a matter of taste. I personally feel Milestone's games are all garbage, so the joke answer to your question would be to use the Shooting Collection disc as a coaster.

I find them to be overly complicated with item drops and scoring systems that make no sense, that's why I recommended Radirgy, since that's the one I felt I could get my head around the easiest. Out of the games on that disc, I would recommend Karous if you want more Milestone-ness. But their ultimate WTF? moment has got to be Illvelo. Also on Wii, it was supposed to get a Western release, but it never happened (I don't think).

The company is out of business now, and I believe the CEO is in jail for fraud, or selling bootleg gasoline or some shit. The least surprising thing about all this.

Momentary

Banned
Of all the mechanics under the sun, they borrowed "ghost bullets" from Bullet Soul?

Interesting choice since it actually does something here, whereas in Bullet Soul it did nothing.

I don't know about ghost bullets. was it a bad thing in that game?

I think the game is only developed by 1 person with music by Blankfield.

I don't know about ghost bullets. was it a bad thing in that game?

I think the game is only developed by 1 person with music by Blankfield.

In Bullet Soul, destroying any enemy cancels its on-screen bullets into "bullet souls", which just meant they turned transparent and became harmless. You could "collect" them, but they had no purpose whatsoever (even though the game is named after them).

It looks like the exact same system is used in Danmaku Unlimited 3, except that it goes one step further by having the canceled bullets power up your ship.

prudislav

Ghost Blade HD announced for Steam/XO/PS4/WiiU
logo.png

http://ghostbladegame.com/
2Dream have today announced that Ghost Blade HD is coming soon to Steam, PS4, Xbox One and Wii U. Ghost Blade HD is an intense Bullet-Hell top down shoot ’em up, composed by frenetic and addictive score-based gameplay.

With its inspiration going back to the shooting games of the 1990s era, Ghost Blade HD ties old memories to current tones and techniques. Designed with a modern graphic style and special effects, Ghost Blade HD also features an awesome 2-player mode! Ghost Blade HD is easy to learn, hard to master.
TRAILER https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diWykmWv38M

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Really hope GBHD WiiU gets a Portrait option (not only TATE otherwise the d-pad's inputs would be busted) when playing on a gamepad screen

Momentary

Banned
Really hope GBHD WiiU gets a Portrait option (not only TATE otherwise the d-pad's inputs would be busted) when playing on a gamepad screen

On PC that's all there

Darius Burst CS Iron Fossil figma

August 2017
22,800yen

6hwq89V.jpg

This looks EXPENSIVE.

Also:

Capcom DLC for DBCS!!!

Playing the 8ing pack tonight.

The next DLC pack is already announced - Capcom, with Side Arms, Varth, and Progear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVSs_0JZiZM

Fularu

Banned
Looks amazing - really hope it comes to consoles eventually.

Giving me Gaires vibes - now I know what I'm playing tonight :)

Eh it looks taken straight out of Last Resort more so than Gaiares tbh

Edit :

Ship seems to be a mix of R-Type and Project X
Town is your typical Stage 1 devastated city landscape full with broken bridges and giant robots

Top Bottom