• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World will have a nice meaty story (+ other details)

I know this was posted in the impressions thread, but I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Video Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMASWZrCmK0

Quest Rank Structure

Tokuda: ”We do have the same sort of Low Rank, High Rank structure, but in the older titles when you go to High Rank, the story was no longer a concern, but this time we want to make sure the story continues on a thread throughout High Rank. One big difference in the structure is that there's no longer a separation between village hall and gathering hall quests—that distinction doesn't exist anymore. You get a quest and you can choose whether to play it solo or online."

Ryozo: ”I think we've made a nice, meaty story for you guys and as mentioned, it's something that carries throughout the entire game, so it should be a lot of fun."
Temporary Monster Companions

Tokuda: ”We have this new system where there are these native cat creatures in the environment and unlike the previous games you only have one Palico companion that can come on a quest with you, but your Palico can make friends with these native cats, who will teach them the language of the (smaller) monsters. Once they learn a few words, your Palico will be able to make friends with a (small) monster and temporarily join forces with it."

Ryozo: ”It's a situational thing though, they won't join you forever, so make the most of it when it happens."

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2017/08/monster-...porary-monster-companions#La06Autk8IuCket5.99

I didn't want to copy the entire article but there are some other nice details in there. so I absolutely encourage you to read the whole thing.

Might want to add the original video of the interview to the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMASWZrCmK0

Every new piece of info about this game gets me pumped.

I'm someone who couldn't get into MH before. By the time I tried it, most had moved on from the Wii-U game, and playing them on an OG 3DS was probably the worst experience I've had with a game.

MHWorld looks awesome, and I want to use every weapon.

Even if the story isn't all that good, the fact that it'll be present and there will be a lot of it, will makes the game more enjoyable for someone like me.

Heroman

Banned
Eh, I don't really need or want a ",meaty" story. And compare to the rest of these I can't see it being any good.

I just hope it isn't all told in the fluffy loads of text boring style of story telling. Hopefully the inclusion of voice acting means a leaner more focused tale.

Ridley327

What kind of focus on story did the other MH games have? Is this to be expected or not?

The story of every game thus far:

>create your hunter, arrive in a village
"Hey there, our village out as we're under siege by INSERT THE MONSTER ON THE BOX ART HERE and could use some help with that!"
>go through the ranks, including a mission where INSERT THE MONSTER ON THE BOX ART HERE suddenly shows up during an otherwise benign quest, in order to gather the tools and resources necessary to finally tackle with INSERT THE MONSTER ON THE BOX ART HERE and emerge victorious
"Congratulations! But wouldn't you know, the problems haven't stopped, so there must be an even bigger monster out there causing all of these problems!"
>go through the ranks until you arrive at a climatic event battle where you fight the real threat to the village and emerge victorious
"Go play some multiplayer quests now, I guess."

Great news. This should also help ease newcomers into the series if they have a meatier story to follow alongside learning the mechanics.

Even if the story isn't all that good, the fact that it'll be present and there will be a lot of it, will makes the game more enjoyable for someone like me.

And it makes more text boxes to kill to someone like me. Can't say I'm fond of where this is headed... yet the gameplay looks solid.

Mupod

I mean, the story will probably still end up being 'X monster is a problem, go kill it, oh shit there's an even bigger monster, go kill it'. But they did a fine job with the buildup around Shagaru in 4, with some memorable supporting characters.

I don't think MH needs a story but I have no objection to one. The setting is fascinating and I always appreciate a deeper look into it.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
I really enjoyed 4U's story.

I hope World's story is similarly character and monster driven.

Though there doesn't seem to be a Gore Magala equivalent to push the plot forward.

Maybe it's yet to be revealed

Put me in the boat of people that like 4U's story, or what little it had. It would be a great motivator for people who don't want to grind JUST to get an armor set or some stupid gem.

NSESN

But they've all had really shitty, basic stories. If they can actually make it more compelling, I won't have a reason to mash past all text in the game.

I just need to hunt monsters. I would rather use the resources to make other things, but I know some people like it so whatever.

Khezu

4U's story was well done for what it was.

The video of your cat riding around on a raptor mount was pretty awesome.

Hastati

Game sounds amazing, my gut is telling me this will be the one to finally pull me and a bunch of other newcomers into MH. I think this one is gonna really take off and I think personally I'm going to get super absorbed based on the quality and variety of gameplay they've shown so far, especially if it has an engaging story to boot.

Ridley327

I never understood the praise the story for 4 has gotten, since the only major twist they threw in there was keeping the central threat "the same," and 4U kinda messed with that with all the extra story that happens afterward that felt like them trying to start a new arc that goes nowhere with Seregios, other than acting like a clunky tutorial for explaining Apex hunting mechanics.. All of which is made all the more baffling when the actual final event monster that completes the story is a completely random inclusion of a long-existing subspecies of an Elder Dragon.

I wouldn't mind something like Soul Sacrifice where they express the chilling lore and backstory of every monster before you go out to kill it. Not village story shit.

BadWolf

If they can get a decent story in then that would help the game quite a bit with the mainstream/casual audience.

Top Bottom