• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Consoles you've regretted buying?

I regret buying my Playstation 3. I only really play the Sony exclusives on it and I feel the exclusive games this generation are a bit lacking.

The Wii is the only console I have ever sold. No regrets.
I used the cash to get a massive (at the time) 23" monitor which is awesome and ultimately was used a hell of a lot more.

Caramuru

Neo Member
X360

The hardware is a piece of ... and it lacks first party exclusives. I could use the money to buy a better GPU to my PC.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The wii has been my least played console ever. I got it at launch and while I played some great games, I would have been fine waiting awhile on it.

The PSP is the only system I've ever sold.

Xbox 360.

- Terrible hardware
- Few exclusive games that interest me
- Wouldn't use XBL enough to warrent paying for it, which means I miss out the few times I do want to use it.

IrishNinja

To be honest I never got much use out of my PS1. For some reason if I was gaming on a console I stuck with the 64. I think this is largely because I basically missed all the good games (I didn't get any magazines, none of my friends played games, and I didn't use the internet much at that age so I just never knew about them). The only game I can even recall playing to completion is MGS, which was great and all, but hardly made the thing worth it.

wow, first time seeing PSX on these lists...did you ever go back & play some of the great ones? early 3D doesn't age well, but still.

Turbo Express - just didn't have the games. FUCKING THING BROKE SO EASILY!
Sega CD - I loved Lunar...and that's it. FUCKING THING BROKE SO EASILY!
3DO - I LOVED SSF2T. FUCKING THING BROKE SO EASILY!
Game Gear - I never got over the blurriness and...just the games always felt floaty and off. FUCKING THING BROKE SO EASILY!

what the hell are you doing to your systems man

Raonak

Banned
None yet (knocks on wood)

I even made lots of use out of my PSPgo (though i did buy it for half price, so that made it hard to resist) loved that form factor.

360 is probably closest, but even then I don't really regret it. It did have Deadly Premonition after all.

Hopefully Vita improves, so far I regret it but its really too early to call.

randomkid

Heh, if the Read the OP rule was being enforced here like it is in Anihawk's voting thread this place would be like fifty shades of grey I tells ya.

My answer is never any regrets, cuz I've always waited.

ksdixon

SEGA Saturn/DreamCast - got these later in the PS2 generation (2002/3) for a few of the critically acclaimed games that they offered. In hindsight these were bad purchases due to there not being enough games on each machine that I wanted/could find in order to purchase; not to mention that most of the games I bought the console for have since been re-released on more modern consoles (SF3:3rd Strike on DreamCast, for example).

N64 - bought primarily for the so-called 'greatest wrestling games ever'. What I found were outdated, slow, games, where you puffed your chest out to block which looked rediculous. Wasn't on par with SD2, let along anything that followed. So glad I was a PSOne kid back when N64s were current gen.

GameCube - bought for the Resident Evil exclusives. Freaking HATE the GC controller. To the piont where I've still not completed the RE series I bought it for. A complete waste of money since RE0 turned out to be not that great, and REmakes of RE2/3 never happened.

PS3 - I think Sony killed themselves with the high launch price of PS3, people said 'forget that' and bought the cheaper 360. Then when PS3 did release not only did people already have friends on XBL or they had already paid for games/addons DLC, but upon launch hte PS3 didn't even have cross game chat (if I remember correctly), so people weren't likely to leave the XBL community if they were already there for what amounted to a lesser experience. Fast forward in time a little and Sony remove PS2 backwards compatability, first in part by removing the PS2 'emotion engine' hardware and relying on software emulation, and later removing it fully; and thus PS3 lost another great boon that it had. I certainly regret getting my PS3, I was hyped by PS3 exclusive content such as Joker in Batman:AA, which turned-out to be a total let-down. I keep thinking that PS3 is lucky it is currently the only console with BluRay functionality inside it, as I'm sure many people bought a PS3 to function as their first cheap BluRay player, rather than buying a dedicated machine. Since Xbox is trying to become a media center now, I assume Xbox720 will use BluRay also, and there goes Sony's last 'one up' over the Xbox brand, outside of free online (which seems to be more as case of "free = shit" with the amount of time PSN is down for maintenance/hacked; and Sony may well decide to make that into a pay service at the start of the next console generation anyway).

Wii: I knew Wii wouldn't be my thing, it was bought mainly as an exercise machine for the fiance. But I thought I might get some fun out of, say, Resident Evil Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles (which eventually came to 360). Turns out I am completely inept at motion controls, and the fiance barely played on the machine. She now, in my opinion, wastes £30 a month on a gym membership which she goes to with a co-worker friend.

Djin1979

Amiga CD 32 ( Do i really need to explain why ?)
Atari Jaguar ( Do i really need to explain why ?)
Gamegear (I got tired buying batteries)
Lynx (Cool hardware, but no games)
Wii (I bought it during last Xmas for the wife, she never touched it, sold 8 weeks later)

That's it

Like :

PSP
Vita
Dreamcast
PS1
SNES
Gameboy
Xbox360/PS3

stuminus3

Banned
360 and PS3. Particularly the PS3. I'm a PC gamer, I have no idea why I ever thought I needed these "HD" consoles considering most third party games are also on PC and are much better on PC. I mean the PS3 is nothing but a Netflix player and even my Wii does that. At least the Wii also has an awesome library of games that I can't play on PC (without emulation).

Y'all out there that bought a Wii and played Wii Sports for 5 minutes before selling it are as dumb as shit.

Glass Joe

For me it was the Nintendo 64. I ended up selling it a couple years into its' cycle. But I don't think I would have been happier with the PS1 either, it was just not the most enjoyable generation for me.

On one system, you had software droughts and high game prices. On the other you had massive load times. And on both you had simplified graphics, crappy framerates and muddy textures to accommodate the new 3D era, and games often annoying camera controls.

N64/PS1 to Gamecube/PS2/Xbox was kind of comparable to the jump from 8 bit to 16 bit. Things got much more fleshed out with the following generation, only my young mind wasn't there to fill in the blanks for it this time.

Of course, N64 DID have games I enjoyed, but that era is when I decided to a break from gaming (other than social multiplayer). I eventually did rebuy one just to keep my collection complete, though.

360 and PS3. Particularly the PS3. I'm a PC gamer, I have no idea why I ever thought I needed these "HD" consoles considering most third party games are also on PC and are much better on PC.

That is pretty much my story as well, never really enjoyed consoles and always been a PC gamer. However I used to be a huge GTA fan and I wasn't convinced we were going to see GTA 4 on the PC. So I bought a brand spanking new Xbox 360 to play GTA 4. I got a month out of it, finished GTA 4, got my key to the city and then the Xbox 360 ended up in the shed propping up the lawn mower.

I should've learnt my lesson the first time when I bought a PSP for GTA stories that ended up in the loft somewhere after I finished Vice City Stories. However I have now learnt my lesson, consoles just aren't for me (not bad mouthing them it's just for some people consoles will never satisfy).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
None technically.

The closest is Wii because the games that I only played were Muramasa (didn't finish yet), Resident Evil 4 (have it on PSN), Resident Evil Remake (still playing) and Resident Evil 0 (probably the only game that I actually like) but then again, the Wii isn't even mine and I just borrowed it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I couldn't really afford gaming consoles, so I only bought the ones that I absolutely wanted more than anything in the world.

I've owned an NES, SNES, Gamecube, GBC, GBA, Genesis, PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, Vita, Xbox, and Xbox 360. I haven't regretted purchasing any of them. I loved each and every one. Still do.

It's hard to regret buying them. They're not extravagantly expensive and I get them expressly for multiplayer, which has gotten them a lot of use. Still, I've probably bought a console per generation, yet anyone I play with would just as well play Genesis, because not much changed. I'm sure there are some legitimate improvements but the focus is on processing power every single time, and I prefer the visual clarity of simple graphics. Plus I have this idea that maybe I will use them for more than multiplayer, but it's never worth it whenever I try.

In the end I haven't really regretted any of the consoles.

I probably regretted the combination of time and price I bought them at.

I should have waited on a PS3 at $599

I should have waited on a Vita and should not have gotten the 3G version probably

--- those are the 2 biggest that come to mind for me

Gamecube and wii. i can't stand the nintendo droughts and for me when the games do come besides the 3D Marios, they just don't keep me interested. i got a wii for SSBB thinking it'd be great, but sadly the netcode was shit and all the friends i played SSBM with were in my hometown while i was in college...i really regret selling it because i was scammed off my whol collection...good god that sucked.

NFreak

I don't understand people who regret purchasing things. I mean, there should be a reason you purchase a console to begin with, and that should most likely be a few games that interest you. I for one have never regretted a console or handheld purchase. There are always quite a few games on each system that I play and enjoy. The only console that I could even come close to regretting purchasing is the 360 only because it is the only piece of video game hardware I have bought that has died on me. Just gonna put this out there, other than my DS and PSP, the Wii was my most played console of this gen so I don't understand the regret of buying the Wii. To each their own I guess.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wii first because it gathered dust for long stretches. Much like the GC and 64. Personally, I see the WiiU on the same boat but that's just me.

360 because it has less compelling exclusives but XBLA games are great. Wasn't enough for me and I am sure as heck not paying for LIVE.

Wii is still worse. Never has a system gone from success to mere existence like the Wii. It wasn't a fad but it sure as hell didn't deserve to sell as much but the mainstream appeal keeps it around. From a gaming standpoint, one of my least favorite "winners" of a HW cycle ever.

Skirn

Since becoming a PC gamer last year, I regret buying both the 360 and PS3 this generation. I sold the 360 right before I built my new gaming rig, knowing that lots of games will be multiplatform and end up on the PC anyway.

Now that I have a PC capable of running modern PC games, I hardly ever touch the PS3 and it doesn't help the fact that I absolutely abhor using the Dual Shock 3.

PSP. Fuck that, played on it a few times while on planes but hasn't been worth it at all. 360 I kind of regret, mostly because I already had a ps3 for some years before buying it and there wasn't really many exclusives other than Alan Wake that I wanted, which not long after came for PC.

IrishNinja

Dreamcast

fAFCX.gif

Ravage

This might come as a surprise, but i was ultra-hyped when i bought my PS2 at launch and immediately regretted it because the launch games i got for it stinks. This was also compounded by the fact that i worked my ass off to afford it at launch price. However it didn't take long before all the awesome RPGs start flowing in and the PS2 quickly became my favourite console of all time.

I guess an example that fits this thread more is the 360. Most MS exclusives have zero appeal to me and those i cared about have all gone multiplatform (some with improved PS3 versions) soon after i bought my 360. Man did that piss me off and it's only going to get worse. I hardly touch it over the years and when i finally did (to play Bayonetta) that stupid thing decided to RROD on me. Warranty period has passed and i never found a reason to get it fixed since then. Definitely the worst console purchase decision i've ever made.

Top Bottom