• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NIS America - "Microsoft's not very supportive of Japanese Games"

Oregano

Falcom: "We don't support Xbox because we are focused on Japan."
MCV: "But Nintendo platforms are most popular in Japan.
Falcom "Yeah but graphics."

I'm not supporter of MS at the moment but that sounds more like they're not supportive of small studios. It doesn't sound like a Japan centered policy or anything.

That's what I'm getting from this. Definitely sounds like some policies need to change to be more accommodating. I'm curious if this is more specific to physical copies though based on the comment and the few recent-ish comments from digital focused Western indie devs about how MS has been supportive.

Cerium

Nihon Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo agrees, telling MCV he "isn't diametrically opposed to working on Xbox," but that the small audience for the console in Japan means it's unlikely to ever become a viable platform for the RPG studio.

"Falcom is obviously a Japan-focused developer and looking at the situation in Japan, the Xbox has had a difficult time," Kondo said.
Sooooooooooo

Trails of Cold Steel on Switch?!?!

WHM-6R

Neo Member
The last comment about how well Xbox has done in japan feels a bit like a copout to me. I mean everyone knows that but its not like there's no market for Japanese gaming on Xbox outside of Japan.

Wereroku

Japanese games aren't just sold in Japan. They lose an important part of the audience if everybody who wants to play Persona or Nier or Nioh has to own a Playstation.

Alternatively they funnel all of their audience onto one or two platforms and save money by only having to develop for a few platforms.

the minimum printing policy is so dumb but I don't understand why this publisher would want to release its games on retail, it would make releasing the game just more expensive for an already small audience.

So tell me why people are excited over Xbox One X?

I can't for the life of me think of any upcoming games, first party mostly, that would make me want to exchange out my current Xbox One that has been collecting dust since Gears 4 and Halo (never finished) 5.

Because niche Japanese titles are the only reason to get excited about a console amirite? There are literally no other reasons. You'reAlreadyDead.jpg Microsoft
/s obviously

-Horizon-

Surprise but not really.

And lol falcom chiming in. Has any of their games ventured beyond a Sony console or the pc? Lol

Japanese games aren't just sold in Japan. They lose an important part of the audience if everybody who wants to play Persona or Nier or Nioh has to own a Playstation.

Playstation owners buy Persona, Nier and Nioh. Developing for it makes sense. I don't know if it's worth for japanese developers to make Xbox One versions of their games (I believe it's not).

I've never understood why they have to release games on disc for these niche Japanese titles, just put them up on the store, test the water.

I'm going to guess there is a size able crossover between those buying niche Japanese games and collectors who want a Physical version. No data to back it up but I know collectors are mindful of those types of releases.

Astral Dog

The last comment about how well Xbox has done in japan feels a bit like a copout to me. I mean everyone knows that but its not like there's no market for Japanese gaming on Xbox outside of Japan.

There is, but much lesser than last gen, its why not many Japanese games outside the big hitters of Capcom and Square Enix make the jump, and even then the sales difference between platforms is quite big

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/2/10/14567090/crunchyroll-subscriber-count-2017

There is interest in anime and Japanese games in America. How much extra could it cost to port to XBOX if you already have an English PC version?

Didn't Phil just get back from Japan or something? Surely the tides are turning?

These comments are just silly. He didn't visit every studio in Japan, he went after the heavy hitters surely. Bandai-Namco. Square-Enix. Capcom. Etc.

Keinning

One side talked and one side listened. Judging from the quotes in the OP I'm gonna guess that not much happened as a result of his visit.

I doubt phil spencer went to japan to talk with Falcom
They had no reason to chime in as several people already mentioned

Wereroku

Didn't Phil just get back from Japan or something? Surely the tides are turning?

Maybe but anything he tried to work on now probably won't materialize for a few years. Also at this point most companies seem to be seeing success releasing on the PS4/NSW so he would have had to explain why they would see more audience including the XBO.

I would say if Monster Hunter World, Code Vein and Dragon Ball FighterZ are on Xbox because of Phil's trips, he did a good job.

While I believe these games won't really sell that well on Xbox, these are some of the best titles for the platform as they look to have a bigger western appeal than most japanese games.

Also, yeah, Falcom's comments makes no sense. They didn't even support the 3DS, the biggest hardware in Japan with more than 4x the sales of the Vita.

MCD

While the situation is dire in Japan I don't see why won't Xbox get YS digitally on the store. It's digital on Steam why can't it be digital on Xbox?

Chobel

Which games have they released on Xbox?

Just off the top of my head: One piece games (Namco), Arslan Senki game (Koei Tecmo), these games had no Japanese version for Xbox yet they were released in the west. There's also one game from Sega which had western release only, Valkyria Revolution.

Xbox groups has an anime club.
Just off the top of my head: One piece games (Namco), Arslan Senki game (Koei Tecmo), these games had no Japanese version for Xbox yet they were released in the west. There's also one game from Sega which had western release only, Valkyria Revolution.
Sorry, I meant NIS. I see nothing.

Stygr

Banned
I really don't think NIS has strong titles or "famous franchises" that can appeal to the Xbox crowd. I mean, it's not a big deal, if we are missing NIS America games on Xbox One.

Well that important part is very questionable.

FF Type 0 was 80/20 split on American market which is best case for xbox.

For a game which sells 10 or 20k copies in retail that might not even cover logistic costs.

Keinning

Do you think many other Japanese developers feel differently if we're being candid about this?

small/niche developers who want to put physical versions and can't/won't? surely not.

that's not the only kind of japanese game that skipped the xbox over these years though and i'm sure that's what he tried to get to the platform. if he suceeded or not, only time will tell

That were probably coming regardless.

doubt code vein and monster hunter would be locks for xbox if it depended on the devs will alone
dragonball has enough western appeal though

As I thought. The minimum printing + the lack of audience + the lack of good will from MS

how exactly is this lack of good will from microsoft again

should they force japanese consumers to buy xboxes? or just straight up gift half of japan with one

Monster Hunter was a sure lock. Capcom wants that game to sell Destiny numbers.

the game not being on the switch tells another story

Van Bur3n

Did you at least bring me back a souvenir, Phil? I thought we were friends. You keep ignoring me on Twitter. Please respond.

As I thought. The minimum printing + the lack of audience + the lack of good will from MS is the reason why a lot of Japanese publishers avoid Xbox One. And this is why on the other hand, Steam has been thriving on that end, because of the entry cost to get there being so low + the audience being there + the long term perspectives.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/2/10/14567090/crunchyroll-subscriber-count-2017

There is interest in anime and Japanese games in America. How much extra could it cost to port to XBOX if you already have an English PC version?

These comments are just silly. He didn't visit every studio in Japan, he went after the heavy hitters surely. Bandai-Namco. Square-Enix. Capcom. Etc.

You'd think we get something like Nier Automata and NNK2 then. Definitely Nier after the success.

At least they attempted to be supportive the previous two gens.

Console still sold like ass in Japan despite important Japanese exclusives. Japan only cares about home-grown consoles, nothing wrong with that but it should be reminded next time people complain about MS's stance. What can you say when a publisher releases a game on the West for the freaking Vita but not for the Xbox One? Or when a multiplatform skips only the Microsoft consoles? They must hate money.

muteki

It certainly makes things easier for me that we don't have the Japan-developed exclusive games on X1 like we did on the 360.

Top Bottom