• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Down and Breath of The Wild coming the same week. Will Horizon suffers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear this thread...
Horizon is a game explicitly focused on Combat, Zelda is a game that balances its focus everywhere.

So, no, one game will not suffer because of the other because they're on entirely different systems and do different things.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No. For a WRPG it does certain things right just as positional dmg values and utilizing the range ring I'll give you that.

On actual topic though, I don't think the audiences will overlap that greatly. The people who will buy Zelda will get a Switch along with it and people that want Zero Down will get that. I don't see a very large number of people that will actually forgo one for the other unless there's a big review score discrepancy. Maybe people on GAF but they're pretty minor.

Tratorn

Don't know how much it will impact the sales, but I think it'll have a consequence on the meta score.
I always thought Horizon is lucky to release before Zelda (since I expected the Switch to release later in march) but now reviewers will play both games practically at the same time and have a direct comparison.
I expect Zelda to have better side things to do and the exploration to be more fun, which both are imporant things for many people in OW games. This could either damage Horizon's reviews or help Zelda even more, since a direct comparision probably has more influence than comparisons with older games.

And thus it could also have an effect on the sales, since good reviews are more important for new IPs.

It won't suffer, it has sony's entire marketing behind it and it's a very casual friendly game/idea - gorgeous visuals, open world, light RPG. If it gets good reviews, it will easily be one of this year's best sellers.

I personally will have to skip it cus of the Switch but I'm sure I'm a very small minority!

Horizon is an action adventure fantasy RPG set in an open world.

Zelda is an action adventure fantasy RPG set in an open world.

How is there no over lap?? Horizon might suffer because it doesn't have the brand power of Zelda and the confidence of the studio. And let's not pretend having a female protagonist is a non issue.

If they would release on the same console I could see a problem. But in this case no PS4 owener will say "I'll go out and buy a Switch and Zelda instead Horizon."
Horizon will do fine but won't get much share in the press when there is a new Zelda in the same weak. But I doubt that will matter for the sales. Sony promoted the game vvery good in the last few months.

How many people who own PS4's here do you think are picking up a Switch and Zelda? I know we aren't a reflection of the mass market but I'm going to say quite a lot. A lot of people have both a console and a handheld and the form factor of the Switch is a handheld. I think we'll see a lot of PS4, Xbox One and PC owners pick up a Switch as their new handheld.

I do think Horizon will outsell Zelda but Zelda will have an impact, even if only a slight one.

Koobion

Both of these games will sell really well. The only downside is that I'm interested in both so I have to choose. There's no ignoring Zelda, so I'll get into Horizon later this spring probably. But boy do we get some heavy hitters early in this year.

Indeed. Well it's clear to me that I'm not alone in holding off on Horizon in order to play Zelda first.

There's certainly some merit to the OP, but I don't think it'll be too significant. Either way, the similarities are worth pointing out.

I can see Horizon ending up being effected more after the reviews come out than Zelda would; new IPs have something to prove. I'm reminded of an EZA podcast episode where they talked about the games they think could flop early this year, and most of them said they felt that Horizon was most likely. I think it's going to be an awesome game though, and I've always been into Guerilla's games.

It boggles my mind how some people refuse to see the similarities between the two games. There is an undeniable overlap in these games for fans of open world adventure games with some RPG mechanics and action based combat.

jdstorm

Banned
Horizon is a flashy new IP from Sony with a 50M+ install base.

Breath of the Wild will be availiable on Roughly <20M units depending on how many people own both WiiUs and Switches it will be close to a 15M or less unique install base.

That gives sony a roughly 30M or greater install base that that wont have any access to Zelda. Im assuming Horizon will be fine.

How many people who own PS4's here do you think are picking up a Switch and Zelda? I know we aren't a reflection of the mass market but I'm going to say quite a lot. A lot of people have both a console and a handheld and the form factor of the Switch is a handheld. I think we'll see a lot of PS4, Xbox One and PC owners pick up a Switch as their new handheld.

I do think Horizon will outsell Zelda but Zelda will have an impact, even if only a slight one.

A very small amount. What percentage of current PS4 owners do you think own a Wii U?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I know I for one am going to play Zelda (Wii U) first due to the close release dates, and then Nier comes out and that one also takes priority over Horizon.

bachikarn

Does anyone else find it really odd that the games ended up releasing at the same time? I'm getting Twilight Princess and Okami vibes.

I do think Horizon Down will suffer, but probably not too much. In other words, if Zelda was releasing a couple of months later, it would do better. A good Zelda will dominate the discussion around the time.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It boggles my mind how some people refuse to see the similarities between the two games. There is an undeniable overlap in these games for fans of open world adventure games with some RPG mechanics and action based combat.
Selective blindness.

In the E3 voting thread I asked several times people that voted only for Zelda what they thought of Horizon, because of the similarities.
(People that put Horizon high often also put Zelda on their list, the opposite was not true.)

I wager now the other group has lost the ability to see the similarities due to the Zelda squeeze. ;-)

That gives sony a roughly 30M or greater install base that that wont have any access to Zelda. Im assuming Horizon will be fine.
Games don't have the same attachment ratios. It's quite easy to imagine that Horizon will be outsold by Zelda because what the fuck else is there on the Switch or Wii U around that time.

In the end who knows, 3D Zeldas have not been sales juggernauts historically. But this one seems to have everyone pining for it.

Regardless of sales, Zelda will likely dominate the discourse in the media and on GAF. I'm very sure Sony and Guerrilla were very unhappy with BOTW's release date for that reason.

Horizon should be okay sales-wise, but it will definitely suffer from the exposure it will miss out on due to BOTW.

Of course, the quality of both games is to be determined, and that will factor into it heavily. But we all know BOTW is anticipated to be a potential GOAT and Guerrilla's previous title was Killzone Shadow Fall.

_Clash_

Plenty of folks gonna walk in thinking "Pro and Horizon" and leave with Switch and Zelda :p

Nah, all will be sweet for all IMO

FATALITY

Banned
One is in a console with no games. The other is in a console with a lot of games.
Yeah if Zelda don't outsell horizon that will be embarrassing.
That would be the only decent game on nx for a while.

Koobion

A very small amount. What percentage of current PS4 owners do you think own a Wii U?

Well honestly, you seem to have some sort of disdain for Nintendo, so I don't know if I can take your position on this topic seriously:

Sometimes I get a little excited about Zelda BOTW then I remember I would have to buy a Nintendo console to play it that enthusiasm just fades away. Not willing to pay that tax.

I think a lot of people on here agree that Nintendo consoles are awesome as secondary systems, especially when the primary is a Sony system or a PC; that way you get a huge spread of software and exclusives. It's reasonable to think that a lot of core gamers own a PS4, and that they're also interested in Nintendo systems.

Is Zelda coming out on the PS4? No? So why create this thread?

It's very much a GAF thread, it's interesting in that regard. In the wide world, there is an extremely small overlap, even if you assume EVERYONE who buys a Switch at launch a) wants Zelda and b) has a ps4/was already planning on buying Horizon. It can literally only be 2 million peoples' problem (2m is the switch launch number right?), which is obviously very small in comparison to how many playstations are out there, how many people who game who are likely not planning on picking up either and so on. On GAF though, we're likely to have a disproportionally large number of people in this situation though. Very small unrepresentative number within the larger base, but it's interesting to see whether it's affecting people's plans in here.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yup. All 50 million plus PS4 owners are going to drop $360 for the Switch and Zelda, instead of dropping $60 for a game on a platform they already own.../s

Both games are going to do fine. I have no interest in the Switch at the moment, but even if I did, it wouldn't cut into me buying Horizon. I'd buy both.

Also, not everybody enjoys the same types of games. Some folks will adore Horizon, some Zelda, some both. The gaming industry is a multi billion dollar industry for a reason. One of those reasons is that there is a market for a wide variety of games. If it was just up to us enthusiast gamers, the industry wouldn't be nearly as massive as it is.

Zelda is going to be hot. Horizon looks promising. As a big Guerrilla Games fan, I have faith it will be entertaining and fun. If anything, the PS4's substantial install base will help Horizon out. Not everyone is rushing out to buy a second, third, or even fourth gaming console. Fans of both Ninty and Sony are probably planning to buy both, but I'm sure the bulk of PS4 owners will buy a game they don't have to buy extra hardware for.

Gudji

Horizon is an action adventure SCI-FI RPG set in an open world.

How is there no over lap?? Horizon might suffer because it doesn't have the brand power of Zelda and the confidence of the studio. And let's not pretend having a female protagonist is a non issue.

Fixed.

Also, just because Guerrilla Games doesn't have the prestige of studios like Naughty Dog, Rockstar, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't create something that will blow people away, they always had talented people working for them!

Not saying Horizon is going to be the best RPG ever, that's something really hard to acomplish. But I also think a ton of people here should have a little more faith on the studio.

A small amount but here on GAF most of us play across a variety of systems, my point was a lot of PS4 owners on NeoGAF will probably be getting a Switch. Not a reflection of the mass market but few of us play on a single platform.

Horizon has robots dinosaurs, is Zelda even trying??
Zelda has a giant (SotC big) robot Camel, Salamander, and Bird shown in the most recent trailer. An elephant is pictured on the map in the collector's addition as well. Not to mention the large amount of robot spiders/octopuses (guardians) we will encounter. It's actually a little amusing to see both games have a theme of advanced technology in a post apocalyptic world.

Horizon will do fine at launch, whether or not it will do well beyond that is pending reviews. A first party Sony exclusive can't save a poorly reviewing game - just look at The Order to see that.

Having said that Zelda will have no bearing on how well Horizon will do one way or another.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Zelda benefits from a game starved fanbase and a new system with nothing else to play. It's going to do well.

But it's not on PS4. Will Zelda impact Horizon sales? Of course not. Competition on PS4 from other games will impact Horizon. It's a different situation Nintendo titles don't tend to face.

If anything Zelda Switch will impact Zelda Wii U's sales as some users migrate. But that's the interesting battle because even among Nintendo fans we're seeing thoughts of cancelled Switch preorders and waiting for the holidays. So maybe Zelda Wii U wins the sales battle?

That would be pretty embarrassing considering how Zelda TP Wii trounced TP on GameCube.

Drek

There are only going to be 2M Switch systems available at launch. Sure, it might have a 1:1 attach ratio with Zelda but it isn't going to have an impact on the market at large until it climbs significantly higher in total systems in the wild.

And since people are acting like their anecdotal situation is somehow relevant: I've got Hoizon pre-ordered on PS4 and BotW pre-ordered on Wii U, because of the GCU + Visa Checkout deal Best Buy has been having frequently throughout the last couple months. I'd argue that from an anecdotal standpoint this likely benefits Horizon (and other early 2017 pre-orderable games) quite a lot with enthusiasts since we've been able to get healthy discounts while the game is still at full MSRP.

The lifetime sales of BotW depend heavily on Switch's success. It'll probably squeeze 1-2M out of the Wii U but I'm expecting those sales to be curtailed by the Switch and the Wii U being an effectively dead console.

dealer-

Can't see it being a hindrance at all. In fact with Nintendo fans buying a new console and Zelda, PS4 owners will probably be itching for a new AAA game in early Spring so it could work out well.

takriel

The target demographics are too different for it to matter.

I'm all in on Zelda though. Might give Horizon a try later in the year.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Horizon has robot dinosaurs, is Zelda even trying??

2558029-zelda_003.jpg

Trup1aya

Don't know how much it will impact the sales, but I think it'll have a consequence on the meta score.
I always thought Horizon is lucky to release before Zelda (since I expected the Switch to release later in march) but now reviewers will play both games practically at the same time and have a direct comparison.
I expect Zelda to have better side things to do and the exploration to be more fun, which both are imporant things for many people in OW games. This could either damage Horizon's reviews or help Zelda even more, since a direct comparision probably has more influence than comparisons with older games.

And thus it could also have an effect on the sales, since good reviews are more important for new IPs.

Don't most reviewers play on game at a time? At a given publications, what's the chances that the guy playing Zelda is also playing Horizon?

Horizon is an action adventure fantasy RPG set in an open world.

There's little over lap Because there are so few people who have a choice to make (people who own both a Nintendo console and PS4)

much of Horizons potential playerbase wont be in the market for Nintendo games.

Amongst people who have both, there will be some overlap, but that's a very specific scenario.

Twookie

oh damn I forgot that Horizon released the same week as BOTW

Planned on buying Horizon on launch but I am also getting Zelda on launch too so Horizon's gotta wait for some time.

Doubt it will matter much though, don't think the fanbases overlap that much

jdstorm

Banned
Games don't have the same attachment ratios. It's quite easy to imagine that Horizon will be outsold by Zelda because what the fuck else is there on the Switch or Wii U around that time.

In the end who knows, 3D Zeldas have not been sales juggernauts historically. But this one seems to have everyone pining for it.

For sure. I was just meerly pointing out that a large number of people would have access to a PS4 and not a WiiU/Switch when BotW launches and that with a unique install base that large Horizon should do really well.

If any ARPG in March gets left out in the cold its likely to be Mass Effect Andromeda. Since as a 3rd party game it has to compete with both Horizon and Zelda.

Cerium

For sure. I was just meerly pointing out that a large number of people would have access to a PS4 and not a WiiU/Switch when BotW launches and that with a unique install base that large Horizon should do really well.

If any ARPG in March gets left out in the cold its likely to be Mass Effect Andromeda. Since as a 3rd party game it has to compete with both Horizon and Zelda.

Nier Automata comes out 4 days after Zelda and a week after HZD. I really hope it pulls through.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Could be.

I can't speak about Horizon, but the Mass Effect Andromeda pre-release marketing has been terrible.

I don't think there has been any trailer I came out feeling great about the game, despite thinking Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of last gen.

As a comparison Zelda's latest trailer has been fantastic.

Nier Automata comes out 4 days after Zelda and a week after HZD. I really hope it pulls through.
It's dead, Jim.

III-V

My Horizon play time will suffer lol.

I have both pre-ordered, hopefully I will have a chance to play Horizon before I launch into Zelda. No doubt there is overlap between these games, at least at a glance. Not sure if sales will be affected, potentially they could be by a small Population.

Cerium

Could be.

I can't speak about Horizon, but the Mass Effect Andromeda pre-release marketing has been terrible.

I don't think there has been any trailer I came out feeling great about the game, despite thinking Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of last gen.

As a comparison Zelda's latest trailer has been fantastic.
The thing about Andromeda is, Xbone owners need something to play.

It's dead, Jim.
Nooooooo

jdstorm

Banned
The thing about Andromeda is, Xbone owners need something to play.

But how many of those 26M Xbox one owners also have access to another system? I'm Guessing a few. So the Install base of Xbox owners who wont have access to either Horizon or Zelda is even smaller then that. Though i wont speculate on what that is.

jRPG

March is just crazy for me. I don't know if I can afford it all. Switch, Zelda, Horizon and Nier are definite must owns. It's looking like Mass Effect and South Park will be casualties of war. But when am I going to find the time? My social life will become a casualty in March too, by the look of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom