• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Valhalla reborn as Ragnarok

EvB

Thing is, can we start a thermonuclear war from the Mantis?

Anyhoo, looks awesome, I felt that the BTB sized maps were lacking in Reach so to bring back one of the best is all good with me!

Also, you can really see the overall improvement in the fidelity of the visuals as you compare 2 maps from the different games. Amazing to think they are running off the exact same hardware and Halo 3 was about as good as they could get it within the realms of the technology from 2007.

That is one cool thing about the consoles, if they can iterate and improve on the techniques they are using on the same hardware, that immediately translates to the new hardware when it arrives.

Spiders

Valhalla was my favorite map in Halo 3, so I'm glad to see it return. It looks fantastic.

I'm not liking the mantis much. Seems out of place in a Halo game.

That animation when he gets in the mech is fucking intense. NICE

iXLdZ6in1ews1.gif

Yes.

Yes, it is.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
If they were going to bring one map from Halo 3. I would have picked The Pit. Valhalla would be second.

So hopefully there will be more than one.

wwm0nkey

If they were going to bring one map from Halo 3. I would have picked The Pit. Valhalla would be second.

So hopefully there will be more than one.

Just one remake and this is it.

Also considering all that Halo 4 has added I do not think The Pit would work all that well as a default map.

adelante

Been saying this a lot. Seriously whoever did the rocks in this game is a god lol

Rock textures are very reminiscent of Rage's (since we know Halo 4's art director is former id Software artist Kenneth Scott, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it heh) and it shows off the higher polycount pretty well

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Seeing a remake in Halo 4 is really breath taking to me, it is a direct example of the visuals fans have hoped for.

The game looks stunning, especially on such old hardware. Amazing.

wwm0nkey

shit I did too!

I was checking if I had any free coupons for xbox live (I have one for 48 hours, thanks ODST) and I think my cat has peed all over my 360 discs :C

Do what I do and get a 12 month on black friday. They usually go for like $30.

Majanew

Banned
The coolest thing about Valhalla was the water physics, and how they dragged bodies, weapons, and debris downhill.

If this isn't recreated in this, Halo 4 can fuck off.

Haha, not really, but kind of.

Ha! I was thinking the same. First thing I'm doing is playing this map and messing with the water. Don't make me slap you, 343.

Happy to see Valhalla back and the Mantis looks sick.

Better graphics are all well and good but how's the FOV???

Halo 3's FOV was hurl inducing.
I believe it's the same as Reach's (or maybe better than that, not sure), but yeah definitely not 3's tunnel vision. I'm not too much of a FOV stickler but I can't handle going back to 3 because of it.

The coolest thing about Valhalla was the water physics, and how they dragged bodies, weapons, and debris downhill.

If this isn't recreated in this, Halo 4 can fuck off.

Haha, not really, but kind of.
This this this. Mechs shmechs. Nail the water physics like in Halo 3 or get fucked. None of that downgraded Reach water physics.

EvB

Ha! I was thinking the same. First thing I'm doing is playing this map and messing with the water. Don't make me slap you, 343.

Happy to see Valhalla back and the Mantis looks sick.

I'd get your slapping hands out, I'm sure they could find better use for all those extra polys and CPU needed to make water with waves in it.

I'd ready yourself for shader effect water.
Edit: you can see lack of waves in that video.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Loved playing infection with a shitload of friends on that map, Can't wait to do it again in halo 4.

Floex

Hate multiplayer in Halo, never understood the love for this map but boy that mech has sold me alone in giving it another go

What's wrong with mechs? This looks bloody awesome!

I assume an overcharged plasma pistol shot will disable it like with any other vehicle? Also, according to the Little English Halo Blog, "It has a very slow turning speed - slower than the running speed of a Spartan - so if you keep strafing and shooting it makes it very difficult for the Mantis to track you."

Valhalla/Ragnarok is looking superb too, that was my favourite Halo 3 map so it's great to see it back.

Edit: mechs aren't new to Halo canon or games BTW.

What's wrong with mechs? This looks bloody awesome!

I assume an overcharged plasma pistol shot will disable it like with any other vehicle? Also, according to the Little English Halo blog, "It has a very slow turning speed - slower than the running speed of a Spartan - so if you keep strafing and shooting it makes it very difficult for the Mantis to track you."

Valhalla/Ragnarok is looking superb too, that was my favourite Halo 3 map so it's great to see it back.

Edit: mechs aren't new to Halo cannon or games BTW.

I don't recall piloting any mechs in prior Halo games, but then, I only played ODST and Reach once each and didn't touch Reach MP, so I may have repressed those memories. Unless I'm just an idiot and can't remember squat, no way those were in Halo 2 or 3, which I've played multiple times. (And Halo 1 is a given.) I'm just not a fan of vehicular combat, and I absolutely hate vehicles in multiplayer.

Oh well, such is life.

(But I too loved Valhalla. It's one of three maps in 3 I actually enjoyed, despite vehicles being there.)

Top Bottom