• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 - Valhalla reborn as Ragnarok

Maybe it would, and maybe it would be easier to pop some of those out real quick. Hopefully they'll have some sort of some community forge playlist where the most popular maps are selected. I'm sure some remakes would make it there.

Personally I think the game has changed too much between halo 3 and now to get a similar feeling from any of the remakes. I'd rather them focus on working around the current gameplay mechanics rather than the other way around.

Ideally yes. Avalanche made me think of something, add those mechs to that map and a power source to destroy and its got a "the empire stikes back" feel to it not to mention sounds super fun. Just created a new gametype!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Shit, looks like I will be midnighting Halo 4 after all.

Now if they brought back that small symmetric snowy map with the small circular underground bases, I would be in heaven

The Mantis looks like a blast to use if not a bit OP. Still, I really see it being a welcome addition to the sandbox. Here's hoping the Brute Chopper made it into the game also.. Chopper vs Mantis?

Anyways, Im glad Valhalla is coming back, however Ragnaroks visual aesthetics aren't really that great looking. I mean the mountains/rocks, bases etc look nice.. But the color palette, ground textures, skybox, and environment feel very...lifeless. It really feels like they took the tundra from tempest, sucked the life out of it and slapped it on Valhalla. Valhalla was a very beautiful map, in a lush green tundra environment.. this looks like some dry, dirt covered version. Also, the snow really helped with the atmosphere and feel of the map.. replace the drab ground with snow and I think it would help a ton. The light brown with splashes of green just isn't doing it for me at all. It just has the muted look of a Forge environment. Overall, visually, Ragnarok just looks like a missed opportunity. Its too bad.

Naked Lunch

I guess there's no set "golden" number for how many maps is a good number. I am fine with 10 (13 with forge). If they are designed well enough we'll want to play them all. Plus, they have crammed so much other content into the game too that I am happy with the overall package so far.

We already know we are getting at least 3 DLC maps packs with 3 maps each, so I think we're good.

They better change the way DLC maps show up in matchmaking - or make separate servers for people who have the DLC. I know in Halo 2 and 3, once the DLC only playlists disappeared you rarely got to play on the DLC maps. Just a horrible system. I have a friend who has the non-anniversary DLC in Reach and they said it rarely shows up.

Also they need to have CTF specific playlists. Signing on to Halo multi and having to hope and pray to play BTB CTF is just BS. Sometimes I would play for 2 hours and never get CTF voted on. But thats a whole other can of worms...

The most impressive thing in the video and screens for me was that the rocks actually sort of resemble real geology with strata, physically weak layers, and broken off boulders, not just BIG ROCKS WITH ROCK TEXTURE.

The most impressive thing in the video and screens for me was that the rocks actually sort of resemble real geology with strata, physically weak layers, and broken off boulders, not just BIG ROCKS WITH ROCK TEXTURE.

Quoted for truth and love.

Can't wait to sink teeth into it. My teeth. All of them.

Unity2012

FWIW I'll have direct-feed footage of Ragnarok on IGN on Thursday with commentary from 343 Lead Multiplayer Level Designer Kynan Pearson.

(In fact, we're doing this for all 10 maps every Tuesday and Thursday for the next five weeks, starting tomorrow with...a new map. /shamelessplug)

Thank you Ryan.

I am glad you guy are showing more of the MP maps. It will keep us busy and the hype going through the roof!

You know, i didnt even notice that till you mentioned it and yes, they are more rock like. Especially when u compare it to the Halo3 pic. Huge diff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, I'm sure it's been noted already, but I can't wait to see the 1:1 Shadow Moses remake that appears on day one.

Me too. I'm sure we'll see a Forge remake, if nothing else.
Light the nilla signal!
I could see it working really well in Halo 4, as long as the size was increased to compensate for default sprint.
The way I see it is that permanent sprint was put into the game to make it more fast paced. I hope 343 doesn't shy away from small maps because of it. Why would they hamstring themselves from a certain map type? Arena sized maps were fun because of the chaos. Sprint is not going to change that imo. Bring on the pit with sprint. I"m down!!

Khezu

Speaking of sprint, since its not a armor ability anymore, is there an option in custom games to turn it off? Would be kind of an oversight not to allow that.

Realyn

Halo was fun for me like 5 years ago. Seeing a trailer like that is just "meh". I could dig out my Halo 3 copy and have the same experience.

blamite

All of them? No surprises? With all the weapons revealed and now this... why is 343 revealing so much?

Yet there's still so much that hasn't been revealed yet. Forge, a ranking system, challenges, Waypoint stats... hell, we haven't even seen what a matchmaking lobby looks like (only custom games). As far as I can recall the amount of map and weapon content we've gotten seems more or less in line with what Bungie has shown before Halo 3 and Reach.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All of them? No surprises? With all the weapons revealed and now this... why is 343 revealing so much?
Surprises don't exist in this day and age anymore. Much easier to reveal/leak everything yourself and let the consumer pick and choose. I've been on semi-blackout myself.

New MP map Abandon was shown off over at IGN:
oiu.gif

check out the thread here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=42775155#post42775155

They will have Ragnarok on Thursday! Also, they uploaded a video of Flood on Solace which is also in that thread.

Top Bottom